Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sean10mm posted:

That rules, I had a cat who was huge for no reason veterinary medicine could discern who lived to like 21 and never gave a gently caress. Why would a cat care anyway?

Exactly! Here's the big guy from the 1998 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjwbgxFmwQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Saw this and immediately brought it here.

https://twitter.com/vqnerdballs/status/1214391311324852224

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Jennyanydots is also not just supposed to be "lol, she fat". She's the stereotypical lazy cat that sleeps all day, and the joke is that at night she is a busybody teaching morality to vermin like a proper victorian lady, because she's only lazy when humans are around. That's why she unzips her fat coat and jumps to a dance number.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

The Little Death posted:

Jennyanydots is also not just supposed to be "lol, she fat". She's the stereotypical lazy cat that sleeps all day, and the joke is that at night she is a busybody teaching morality to vermin like a proper victorian lady, because she's only lazy when humans are around. That's why she unzips her fat coat and jumps to a dance number.
so we're not so different after all...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When Skimbleshanks stole Jenny's tap dance he also stole her respectability! :argh:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Rebel Wilson cat and James corden cat are also the only two cats who confirm that the cats in the Cats universe, despite being horny yet sex less little gremlins, actually do/did have genitals - the former suggesting 𝓳𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓷 𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓾𝓵𝓸 cat has been neutered and the latter hitting his crotch on the garbage can

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I'm telling you man, they've all been spayed or neutered and that's why they need to die, so they can be reborn as a cat that can reproduce.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Das Boo posted:

I went with a few friends tonight! We were kinda confused when we went to make reservations and the theater was... packed? Our plan was to pregame beforehand and just have a big, dumb, drunk time.

Well, that's why the theater was packed. It was a wonderful, friendly, rowdy crowd and people were laughing, cheering, joking, clapping along to the music, and gave a standing ovation. It was a goddamn blast. The theater let out and everyone was singing the Mistoffelees song as they flooded into the lobby. Everyone was just happy as hell and the couple of our group who were huge CATS fans were thrilled with the viewing.

Never been to a movie where my audience was all in on the joke, but I notice audiences in LA are more participatory overall? It's the only place I see ovations at movies on the regular.

Anyway, that was phenomenal.

I bought my friends and I tickets to the goddamn Chinese Theatre in downtown Hollywood for tomorrow, and was shocked to see the opposite was the case -- totally empty seating except for what I reserved. Looked again today, still the same. Is it still gonna be a party when tomorrow comes? Are people gonna all buy their tickets last minute? Or will my friends and I just chill in a pretty famous theater and shout at a bad movie?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Weird. I saw it a few blocks from there at the Arclight Hollywood, on a not-typically-busy night, and it was both full and hopping. Least reverent Arclight audience I’ve ever seen, too...laughing and yelling poo poo the whole time.

It’s fascinating to see this unspoken, collective decision made by everyone that Cats is simply not deserving of any respect as a piece of cinema. Most Arclight audiences are dead-quiet and respectful, even in mediocre movies. But not this one.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't give a drat about a conjuring turn but there is no presto! and that is loving Mistoffelees erasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBSsofHcSPw

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I bought my friends and I tickets to the goddamn Chinese Theatre in downtown Hollywood for tomorrow, and was shocked to see the opposite was the case -- totally empty seating except for what I reserved. Looked again today, still the same. Is it still gonna be a party when tomorrow comes? Are people gonna all buy their tickets last minute? Or will my friends and I just chill in a pretty famous theater and shout at a bad movie?

Not sure! I was at the AMC in Burbank which might be a more popular venue for drunk kids given the amount of bars in the immediate vicinity.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I though the idea was more Victoria saying that despite Grizabella's current misery she envies and admires her for having a colourful and interesting past to remember even in her lowest moments, while Victoria basically just got here and has nothing to compare, and that there's nothing wrong with her using her memories to comfort herself. And it leads into Victoria eventually leading her into the inner circle to sing her heart out and be eligible for the choice despite the other cats' objections.

That is my take on the song as well. I mean, it's entirely possible (and certainly cynical) to read the lyrics as another self-indulgent Taylor Swift song, but I like the song and prefer to view it in the most charitable light possible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ayo what happened to Taylor Swift cat

she just kinda...disappeared

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Das Boo posted:

Not sure! I was at the AMC in Burbank which might be a more popular venue for drunk kids given the amount of bars in the immediate vicinity.
that's where I saw it and it was a very tepid reply girl meowing not that it didn't help cut the tension

Burbank doesn't get rowdy. It has a curfew dont you know

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Alan Smithee posted:

that's where I saw it and it was a very tepid reply girl meowing not that it didn't help cut the tension

Burbank doesn't get rowdy. It has a curfew dont you know

My evidence:
https://twitter.com/BlaineyBowtie/status/1216136734322446336?s=19

Didn't know that dude was famous, but I did see phones held high in the Mr. Mistoffelees parade into the lobby. If I can find the videos, I'll share 'em!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Might go see CATS again tomorrow

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is it still in theaters out there? The cineplex in my city axed it a few days ago for 'Like a Boss' which looks... dire.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gumball Gumption posted:

The problem with beautiful ghosts is that its theme seems to be that the most sympathetic character in the movie doesn't actually have it that bad and Victoria has it worse. Then the movie makes no attempt to reject that or explain why Grisabella is more deserving.

Victoria gets to be a jellicle cat, which presumably means she will find happiness and community and love. Grizabella is too old and far gone to ever be accepted back in, but she regrets her presumed sins and understands betraying the jellicle tribe and siding with weird satan cat gave her only sadness and wishes to go back, so they let her be reborn. Victoria doesn't need rebirth because she can just come live with them and have a whole good life.

Like grizabella as a character always kinda requires you assume the thing she did was unforgivably irredeemably bad, the song vaguely hints she might be a prostitute and the movie says she dated mccavity, but neither seem like things a bunch of slutty cats would care that much about, so I think you just have to understand her betrayal somehow harmed something in a real bad way that we just don't need to know but she's repented enough and so is rewarded with a new life instead of more punishment. Victoria got a new life too, but on earth, with a boyfriend who will lift her up and smell her crotch and a bunch of new pals.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Grizabella is Victoria is Grizabella

Catception

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

angerbeet posted:

Grizabella is Victoria is Grizabella

Catception

Yeah, pretty much, both need the jellicle cats, victoria never had them and grizabella had them but gave them up, victoria needs to listen to grizabella to realize they are worth trusting and are wonderful and grizabella needs victoria to have her show the rest that she is truly sorry and deserves another chance (but not in this life, because she's too awful and half dead for redemption in this life)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I saw it at the LA Live in Downtown on Olympic. There were children in the row behind me, the little girl sung along to Memories.

What is CPS's number?!?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

KirbyKhan posted:

What is CPS's number?!?

1-888-SKIMBLESHANKSTHERAILWAYCAT

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just saw Cats. The pacing is wild.

Ian McKleland does a musical number about being a sad old cat. Judy Dench is shot full spread eagle, scissoring the air in approval. Then cat Idris Elba asks for Ian's autograph and telefrags him. Immidiately

SCRIM

MBLE

SHANKS

THE RAIL WAY CAT

tapdances into our heart. His musical number concludes with him twirling, faster until he levitates. As he ascends to the Heavyside Layer Idris telafrags SCRIBLESHANKS THE CAT OF THE RAILWAYS and appears naked.

The tonal whiplash is discordant and unsettling and WILD. Last night I read Uzumaki by Junji Ito and I feel it was a great companion piece.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

angerbeet posted:

New thread title right here

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
the best part of the whole movie is gus saying "meow meow meow meow" and this thread doesn't give that enough credit.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

KirbyKhan posted:

Judy Dench is shot full spread eagle, scissoring the air in approval.

Dame Judi Dench.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

KirbyKhan posted:

Last night I read Uzumaki by Junji Ito and I feel it was a great companion piece.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

angerbeet posted:

overmind2000 posted:

New thread title right here

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cats is the only movie worth seeing in this hellscape timeline. It is everything and it is nothing. It is an abyss that damns any who dare peek at it, only to immediately offer salvation through Skimbleshanks.

Skimbleshanks is life. Skimbleshanks is light. Skimbleshanks is all.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

He is the railway cat after all.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I have convinced a girl I’m talking to on OKCupid to go see CATS with me for a first date.

Forward slash last date.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I have convinced a girl I’m talking to on OKCupid to go see CATS with me for a first date.

Forward slash last date.

Dude, you have found your lifemate. Don't let her go.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Dude, you have found your lifemate. Don't let her go.

If she’s willing to date me she deserves to see C A T S.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If she’s willing to date me she deserves to see C A T S.

Indeed

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

duz posted:

He is the railway cat after all.

The cat of the railway train?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

loving laffo and truth right here

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

the best part of the whole movie is gus saying "meow meow meow meow" and this thread doesn't give that enough credit.

Actually, he says "yam yam yam"
:goonsay:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
*enters thread*

I will get to the heaviside layer!

*disappears*

Macavityyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017