Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Recent discovery for me: Clarence Williams III played Sampson Simpson in Half Baked and Omet'iklan in S4E22 in DS9:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The MUMPSorceress posted:

The humanoid typhoon?

probably referring to the looter that Picard falls for

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kidkissinger posted:

with that in mind, is there a truncated episode list anyone would recommend for s01?
For me there aren't a ton that I would recommend, but I would go with these (none of them are classics but they are at least serviceable)

Ep 9 The Battle
Ep 13 Datalore
Ep 15 11001001
Ep 19 Coming of Age
Ep 20 Heart of Glory
Ep 21 Arsenal of Freedom
Ep 25 Conspiracy
Ep 26 The Neutral Zone

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Season 1 is overall weak and boring as hell, plus most characters haven't really come into their own yet. Picard is weirdly assholeish and Riker is just smug and not all that charming yet. poo poo starts getting genuinely decent in season 2 and properly good in season 3. I don't regret having seen season 1, mind you, it's not bad the way Voyager or Enterprise are, but it still ranges from just kinda lame to outright offensive so be prepared for that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd recommend the following season one episodes in a very specific order:

The Naked Now
The Naked Now
The Naked Now
The Naked Now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you don't like The Naked Now you just don't actually like Star Trek or fun.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The one thing I never understand about The Naked Now is that somehow Data is affected by that virus despite not being a living organism. They handwave away that with some line about him having certain parts of his body that simulate a human anatomy, but this isn't really the case in future episodes where he can exist in environments without oxygen and other things.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you don't like The Naked Now you just don't actually like Star Trek or fun.

Would you say the episode was ... fully functional?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one thing I never understand about The Naked Now is that somehow Data is affected by that virus despite not being a living organism. They handwave away that with some line about him having certain parts of his body that simulate a human anatomy, but this isn't really the case in future episodes where he can exist in environments without oxygen and other things.

I suspect that Data was not originally envisioned as being purely mechanical and this may have been a lingering vestige of that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I suspect that Data was not originally envisioned as being purely mechanical and this may have been a lingering vestige of that.
It's weird because there is another episode later on where Data gets possessed by those aliens that are on a prison planet and take over O'Brien, Troi, and Data, but that doesn't make a lot of sense

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's weird because there is another episode later on where Data gets possessed by those aliens that are on a prison planet and take over O'Brien, Troi, and Data, but that doesn't make a lot of sense

Explanations take up time when they could be using it to move the plot along, also nobody really wants explanations they just want to whine about things.

Everything in star wars 7 and 8 could be explained really easily but nobody cares because they just want something to bitch about, same here.

Like do we really want to know what Q and Guinan's thing was? It wouldn't be as satisfying if we knew, I guarantee you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s a little more important with a main cast member

I agree that things like the Guinan/Q backstory are better left mysterious, which they thankfully did

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

sweet geek swag posted:

I have watched Code of Honor twice. The first time was so bad I blotted all memory of it from my head. I watched it last year because I couldn't remember it and it couldn't be that bad right?

It was.

I had almost this exact same experience, right down to seeing it for the first time decades ago, then again last year after avoiding it for all those years in the interim.

It really was still that bad. Though it was interesting seeing the only other martial arts training program we've ever had in the holodeck besides Worf's 'fighting monster dudes'.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Watching The Naked Now right now. Definitely gonna be a Roddenberry sex pervert situation eh? I agree with the poster who said Data was conceived as more organic early on. "I'm referenced in several bio-mechanical textbooks".

edit: this is deeply weird. Yara is coming onto Data an talking about being abandoned at age five, learning to "avoid the rape gangs" etc.

I feel like Dr. Crusher hosed up pretty bad allowing this to spread to everyone.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 12, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i just cannot believe this was the episode that immediately follows the pilot how the hell

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I feel strange, but also good!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

kidkissinger posted:

i just cannot believe this was the episode that immediately follows the pilot how the hell

The preproduction, and production, of the first season was a gigantic shitshow. They did The Naked Now because they didn't have any other stories ready in time. The first season burned through 35 writers.

Also I'm going to be pedantic and point out that Farpoint was not a pilot. A pilot is not necessarily the first episode of a show; it is an episode that is produced to sell a show, to convince a network to pay for series production.

TNG didn't need a pilot, because Paramount wasn't selling the show to a big network, they were just selling it direct to various local TV stations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

season 1 can be fun and it isn't unwatchable or anything but it didn't fit the moment and feels more like a weird tos fan fiction

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

From the Wikipedia entry-

quote:

"The Naked Now" is based on an incomplete teleplay by Roddenberry for The Next Generation, titled "Revelations." The first few scenes remained largely similar, but in "Revelations" La Forge infected Yar while making unsuccessful sexual advances toward her. Original Series writer D.C. Fontana wrote a new draft of the teleplay with several further changes that failed to make it into the final installment. These included Data turning down Yar's sexual advances, Troi's lack of privacy due to empathic abilities, Picard's concern for the families on the ship, and Riker's fear of becoming a lonely starship captain.[2]

:wtc:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Odd that The Naked Now came up because we just watched First Contact tonight and the borg queen asks data how long it's been since he's hosed. His answer is down to the second.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

From the Wikipedia entry-

:wtc:

DC Fontana tried to make it good, at least. Ah well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

DC Fontana tried to make it good, at least. Ah well.
That's definitely better than Geordi trying to assault Yar, yeah.

Especially since this is the episode where they talk about her backstory of being at the mercy of 'rape gangs'

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I feel strange, but also good!

See there's plenty of The Naked Now that isn't weird Yar and Data stuff!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Erisian Automata posted:

Odd that The Naked Now came up because we just watched First Contact tonight and the borg queen asks data how long it's been since he's hosed. His answer is down to the second.

So did the Borg graft organic skin onto Data's ding-dong in order to seduce him?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Season 1 is a lot better in HD- the lighting really works now and some of it is really great to look at. that said there’s no reason to watch code of honor or that atrocious episode with that young guy in some of the worst old man makeup I’ve ever seen. That was some cringey poo poo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Where No One Has Gone Before is legit good

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So did the Borg graft organic skin onto Data's ding-dong in order to seduce him?

If they did, he would have tired in a second. I'd join the Borg right now if they gave me a super penis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

Season 1 is a lot better in HD- the lighting really works now and some of it is really great to look at. that said there’s no reason to watch code of honor or that atrocious episode with that young guy in some of the worst old man makeup I’ve ever seen. That was some cringey poo poo.
The makeup in Too Short a Season was bad enough when it first aired, but jesus, in HD it's on a different level of bad

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

We may never know. But the borg queen did blow air across the skin she grafted on his arm and he got real excited so...I dunno, if I was the queen I'd hold off a bit before the super-dong.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ritznit posted:

Season 1 is overall weak and boring as hell, plus most characters haven't really come into their own yet. Picard is weirdly assholeish and Riker is just smug and not all that charming yet. poo poo starts getting genuinely decent in season 2 and properly good in season 3. I don't regret having seen season 1, mind you, it's not bad the way Voyager or Enterprise are, but it still ranges from just kinda lame to outright offensive so be prepared for that.

It's weird how in the first 1 or 2 seasons, whenever meeting an unconventional person or anomaly, everyone's got a look of concern or disapproval, but Riker's giving it a wide-eyed grin. You can see straight into his mind where he's just ticking off another box, "oh yeah, I am in to this."

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what little round machines do you think data had in his scrote?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disco balls.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

nanites are stored in the balls

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

what little round machines do you think data had in his scrote?

High-volume oil pumps

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
just a fuckton of tapioca pudding

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Erisian Automata posted:

We may never know. But the borg queen did blow air across the skin she grafted on his arm and he got real excited so...I dunno, if I was the queen I'd hold off a bit before the super-dong.

Can Data ahegao

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
If we reboot this thread like the announcement suggests, does that mean it can only be about the Kelvinverse?

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

A Very Sexy Baby posted:

If we reboot this thread like the announcement suggests, does that mean it can only be about the Kelvinverse?

I kinda like this thread as is, but if you can get criscodisco to post many posts in the new one so it feels like this one I'm cool with whatever you like.

The DS9 ep where kira listens to an old man make up stories to seem wise is done, we're on the the fukken rumpelstiltskin episode and I could not be happier.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

star trek threads should last 1701 pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

star trek threads should last 1701 pages

Dangerous precedent. A Voyager thread would get 74656 pages.

(And oh, those poor Enterprise threads...)