Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

The Brawler 64 is amazing. The only N64 game I don't like it with is Sin and Punishment, and that's mostly a factor of that game's control scheme being weird as heck and me being used to the Wii VC controls for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Heh, after getting my N64 with UltraHDMI and an Everdrive 64 I played Mario 64 for about 3 hours and haven't played it in at least a month now (mostly because of my PC backlog and kids..).

Those controllers look pretty nifty though and I'll probably pick one up just to get back into things. I hate how difficult it is to get a well working N64 controller. I replaced the dome using kitsch bent parts which actually worked great, but something about it still doesn't feel like it did when I was a kid.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
+1 on the Brawlers. I have a gen 1 and a gen2, to go with two good condition official ones. But I pretty much always reach for the brawlers first.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Speaking of the Brawler 64, does anyone have the atomic purple one and the OEM Nintendo atomic purple controller? I wanna see how close the colors are, but I can’t find any pictures of them together online.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Flea market dude has a Japanese N64 in box for $100 US. No ram expansion, all cables, one grey controller which I didn't get to test but the whole thing was sat on its side and the stick was centred so I'm assuming it's in OK condition. Good deal?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pretty good posted:

Flea market dude has a Japanese N64 in box for $100 US. No ram expansion, all cables, one grey controller which I didn't get to test but the whole thing was sat on its side and the stick was centred so I'm assuming it's in OK condition. Good deal?

No idea what a box adds to the value, but nah. I mean, I think N64s are probably worth about $50-80 depending on condition.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pretty good posted:

For a moment I thought you meant a flea market in Japan for which that price would be crazy high. For the US, that's lower than eBay pricing but that's not saying a whole lot. My feeling is it's a bit on the expensive side but not insane.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is there anything a Japanese N64 can do that a U.S. N64 can't?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Let you burn frankly terrifying amounts of money on a 64DD.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we’re on N64 controllerchat, I will say the Interact Super Pad 64 Plus is as good as the brawler if you can get over the form factor, which I totally get that some people can’t do.

The stick is amazing and super well built. I did a tear down of one a while back and the guts of the stick are just way overbuilt and beefy

The stick resolution is also fantastic

https://youtu.be/d6gbEFTFmKM

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 12, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since we’re on N64 controllerchat, I will say the Interact Super Pad 64 Plus is as good as the brawler if you can get over the form factor, which I totally get that some people can’t do.

The stick is amazing and super well built. I did a tear down of one a while back and the guts of the stick are just way overbuilt and beefy

I miss dodgy 90's gamepads :shepface:. Literally everyone had a different idea for how they should look, and none of them were remotely comfortable or sanely designed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My N64 controller hierarchy is as follows:

1) Brawler 64
2) Interact Super Pad Plus
3) Doc’s wireless controllers. The one on the right with the red stick. Very close to the GameCube stick. But those A/B buttons take it down a notch

4) Real N64 controllers

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Those little baby Hori ones seem cool. I feel like the road placement has to be the worst of all time though.

Apparently retrobit makes a clone of sorts since thenHori ones are hard as hell to find for less than ~80

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Those little baby Hori ones seem cool. I feel like the road placement has to be the worst of all time though.

Apparently retrobit makes a clone of sorts since thenHori ones are hard as hell to find for less than ~80

Yeah the Horis are great. Super pricey though. I’m wary of Retrobit controllers, are the hori clones decent?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

The sole practical difference between the US and Japanese versions of N64 is some tabs at the bottom of the slot. Unfortunately, you can't just tear these out like the SNES, but a Game Shark or similar thing will let you get around that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Random Stranger posted:

The sole practical difference between the US and Japanese versions of N64 is some tabs at the bottom of the slot. Unfortunately, you can't just tear these out like the SNES, but a Game Shark or similar thing will let you get around that.

I definitely borrowed a copy of Sin & Punishment from my friend in high school and all he did was use a knife and a file to cut notches into the cartridge so it would fit in a US n64.

Blew my mind. Then six months later he showed me GGX on a CD-R and we played it in my Dreamcast with no mods and I lost it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Is it safe to say the Dragon Quest ports on the Switch are just ports of mobile versions? The pics I've seen make them look like cheap flash games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're the mobile ports. Converted for a widescreen aspect ratio rather than a portrait, obviously.

That said, I think unjustly shat on them. I think they look pretty fine when you get used to them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Original n64 controller or nothing. :colbert:

The superpad is what I gave to the fourth person playing Mario kart because I only had three real controllers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I definitely borrowed a copy of Sin & Punishment from my friend in high school and all he did was use a knife and a file to cut notches into the cartridge so it would fit in a US n64.

Blew my mind. Then six months later he showed me GGX on a CD-R and we played it in my Dreamcast with no mods and I lost it.

I buy $1 sports games and switch the backs of the carts, myself.

wa27 posted:

It makes my hand cramp up and it grinds itself apart.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

wa27 posted:

:hai:

Pure retro gaming, no my palms aren't scarred!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

For the N64 you can 3D print a new part that goes inside swapping the Japanese cart holder. It allows you to use US/Jap carts without the need to file down anything or swap game backs, or use a game shark etc. The plastic piece is like $2.

I think you could actually file it down as well, but then you're just ruining poo poo.

https://www.retrorgb.com/3d-printed-n64-region-mod.html

XtraSmiley fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 13, 2020

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i took a hacksaw to mine, a file won't get the job done like it would for a super nintendo

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Djarum posted:

You did those in balsa wood right? I am going to have a laser cutter perfect for doing that in a few weeks and that was one of the first things I thought of doing with it.

It's Glowforge's Draftboard.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aALarJayOWE

I only found out about this being a thing now. Maybe someone posted about this here previously, but for those unaware like I was until moments ago, the infamous cut content from Soul Reaver 1 has been found. This video is just a teaser and more is going to come out, presumably very soon.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That Super Pad was my 4th controller as a kid from the great controller shortage. Nobody wanted that thing then, I can’t imaging it’s good now.

I might pick up that Brawler64 just because of all the good reviews. Even though it’s not the original form factor, I never had a problem with it... but half the Amazon reviews on knock offs complain about it not working.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The super pad has a really good stick. You have to want that bad enough to overlook the goofy design

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Milkman posted:

+1 on the Brawlers. I have a gen 1 and a gen2, to go with two good condition official ones. But I pretty much always reach for the brawlers first.

If I get a Brawler how do I know if it's gen1 or gen2?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If I get a Brawler how do I know if it's gen1 or gen2?
They're probably all Gen2 if you buy them now. I don't know that they changed much outside of making sure the shoulder button doesn't interfere with the stick out of the box.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yeah, it's my understanding that they're all Gen2's at this point. If you want to be super sure, any transparent colored shell is a gen2.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah the Horis are great. Super pricey though. I’m wary of Retrobit controllers, are the hori clones decent?

I bought one in November. It seems fine.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
So I decided to buy a 2nd hand 100Hz 480p CRT TV on the weekend for lag testing and general curiosity and I ended up with some pretty good PQ:

I hadn’t set out to buy a flatscreen crt but it had a db15 rgb input so picked it up anyway. I’m yet to figure out what kind of rgb signal it accepts. I get no image using my go to hdmi to vga convertor at 480p so maybe either only vesa 640x480 or rgbs in which case I will need to hook up my dvdo.

My girlfriend threatened to leave me tonight if I brought another tv into the house but I calmly explained that I felt there was definitely room for one more, especially once she was gone.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 13, 2020

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

KingEup posted:

My girlfriend threatened to leave me tonight if I brought another tv into the house but I calmly explained that I felt there was definitely room for one more, especially once she was gone.

King

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

They're probably all Gen2 if you buy them now. I don't know that they changed much outside of making sure the shoulder button doesn't interfere with the stick out of the box.

Agrias120 posted:

Yeah, it's my understanding that they're all Gen2's at this point. If you want to be super sure, any transparent colored shell is a gen2.

Thanks! Just bought a transparent one to be safe. Had to go with green because sadly they don't sell the purple one on Amazon and it's out of stock on the retro fighters website.

I read it does not support the transfer paks so there is in fact a reason to keep your old n64 controllers around.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks! Just bought a transparent one to be safe. Had to go with green because sadly they don't sell the purple one on Amazon and it's out of stock on the retro fighters website.

I read it does not support the transfer paks so there is in fact a reason to keep your old n64 controllers around.

I'm guessing that's because the Transfer Pak draws a lot of power from the controller compared to the other Paks. (That's entirely speculation for the support reason.)

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

KingEup posted:

Amazing. It probably would have taken me a solid week to come up with that.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The purple Brawler64 is noticeably darker than the Atomic Purple N64 one. It's more grape, if I had to name it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOVbxL3wGmA

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 13, 2020

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

The purple Brawler64 is noticeable darker than the Atomic Purple N64 one. It's more grape, if I had to name it.

That's..quite dark. I wonder why they did that to such a classic color.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Bank posted:

That's..quite dark. I wonder why they did that to such a classic color.

Probably because it wasn't worth trying to get a factory to 100% replicate the dye job of a 20 year-old piece of plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aALarJayOWE

I only found out about this being a thing now. Maybe someone posted about this here previously, but for those unaware like I was until moments ago, the infamous cut content from Soul Reaver 1 has been found. This video is just a teaser and more is going to come out, presumably very soon.

holy poo poo. wait, they got original files somehow? havent seen alot of those shots before but then again its been awhile since i was obsessing over lok.