Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

My favorite South Bay poke is GoFish in Cupertino though I would second Santos Market if that’s more convenient for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I wouldn’t have noticed unless Yelp threw up a big warning when we considered going there to check their menu. But looking on the city’s website they improved from 70 to 71 on last inspection and seem to have long running temp and vermin issues. I get that a restaurant or inspector can have a bad day but they don’t seem to care hugely?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Eaten at pakwan about 10 times, only got the runs once. Worth it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

The general Bay Area thread mentioned Round Table several weeks back, so I got some out of nostalgia. That night I contracted gastroenteritis and proceeded to puke and poo poo violently for 2 days straight. I'd be able to drink water up to a point, but then I'd attempt to drink more and I'd puke it all out. 30 hours after I started making GBS threads continuously, my subsequent shits were pure, clear water...probably cleaner than Aquafina. I lost about 10lbs in water weight in 48 hours.

Would eat again.

drat you got the full nostalgia experience.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Hey yall, commie SF foodie goons are meeting up tomorrow to play pinball at Gestalt tomorrow at 11am. We're gonna do more stuff in the future too, bowling & pizza, etc. come if you can!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I’ll try to come if the wedding I’ll be at lets out by then!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Welp. Tied House in Mountain View is gone: https://www.mv-voice.com/blogs/p/20...-calls-it-quits

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Sucks, that was one of the last less bougey places to get a drink, especially with a larger group, down there.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Douche4Sale posted:

Sucks, that was one of the last less bougey places to get a drink, especially with a larger group, down there.
Yeah, there are definitely other beer-and-burger places in Mountain View, but Tied House was the only one that predated the Google employee makeover. Even Mervyn's has an actual sign and a restaurant out front now.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Went to Palette Tea House tonight. Food and drinks were pretty good, but my god the service was terrible. Maybe they were just horribly understaffed because it is Christmas Eve?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's a mega tourist spot. Servers have a terrible time working there I'm sure.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good places open today that isn’t Tommy’s Joint?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Chinese?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you go out on Christmas for anything but Chinese then you are Doing It Wrong.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ima be in Jack London square in an hour, I hope there’s some food available

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

withak posted:

If you go out on Christmas for anything but Chinese then you are Doing It Wrong.

We got Chinese delivered for Christmas Eve and it was glorious

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Update

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Ima be in Jack London square in an hour, I hope there’s some food available

Update: found a Chinese restaurant open near jack London square

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, there are definitely other beer-and-burger places in Mountain View, but Tied House was the only one that predated the Google employee makeover. Even Mervyn's has an actual sign and a restaurant out front now.

Still amazing that there's basically nothing in that little hallway except for the drink special sign and all the people smoking that might alert you to the fact that a bar is back there

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Toe Rag posted:

Went to Palette Tea House tonight. Food and drinks were pretty good, but my god the service was terrible. Maybe they were just horribly understaffed because it is Christmas Eve?

I had perfectly acceptable service the last time I was there for Sunday brunch; likely just the holidays

Next time do something like Oriental Tea House in San Leandro for uniformly bad service year round

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

got off on a technicality posted:

Next time do something like Oriental Tea House in San Leandro for uniformly bad service year round

too real

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pizzachat: I’ve been to Del Popolo twice in 3 days

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

luminalflux posted:

Pizzachat: I’ve been to Del Popolo twice in 3 days

Do you think Del Popolo's storefront or truck is better? After visiting their store, there were only 1 or 2 pizzas that were better then takeout and some from the truck were actually better.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

Do you think Del Popolo's storefront or truck is better? After visiting their store, there were only 1 or 2 pizzas that were better then takeout and some from the truck were actually better.

I’ve never been to their truck or had their takeout

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ranter posted:

too real

I didn't really have any bad service when I was in China. I was with my mainlander friend, though, so my experience was probably very different from if I were on my own. I don't really like how most service is handled in the US, to be honest. I always sit at the bar, if I can. Good service is the service you don't even notice, but I feel like it's pretty uncommon outside of very expensive restaurants. I just want the things I ordered, and my drink refilled, please. And most of all, I want to my check delivered and promptly processed when I'm ready to leave.

I went to Californios this weekend, which had excellent service. The food was already very good. A little bougie but I guess that should be expected. Not stuffy or pretentious, though. Would go again.

edit: also, pizza ... there is usually a Del Popolo truck parked in my neighborhood on the weekend. I'll have to check it out. I will say though that Gioia is probably the best American style pizza I've had and everyone should go.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
hOW Do tHeY dO iT?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Behind-the-blitz-Falun-Gong-practitioners-spend-14966684.php

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably they just pay online?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone been to Liholiho Yacht Club? Any good?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes, no. I was with two vegetarians though, and it’s definitely not veggie friendly. There is a tiki bar in the basement, and I’ll just go there instead.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Uh, LihoLiho is INCREDIBLY good. Don’t bother with Dear Inga though. I’ve eaten at Liho maybe 10 times over the years and never had a bad dish. Get the pineapple dessert for sure. Did you *ask* for vegetarian options or just try to stumble through the menu? They can mod about half the menu to be veggie.

I’m so tired of that poo poo. People would come into my restaurant, not say they needed veggie or gluten free dishes and then leave a yelp like HURRR ITS NOT VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY. Bitch, we can modify 1/3 of the menu as is and can also make you 3-4 other plates entirely if you ask. A restaurant would be foolish to not have vegetarian options in goddamn San Francisco.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Don’t bother with Dear Inga though.

Was meaning to try it some time, what's the deal with them?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
“The name “Dear Inga” has attracted as much press attention as its delicious langos and Liptauer cheese dip. “We liked the feminine note to it,” explains Golovin. “It’s a pretty masculine management team here; we wanted some female power.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eater.com/platform/amp/2019/12/18/21004856/restaurant-womens-names-grandmothers

Or, yknow, you could hire some women.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Uh, LihoLiho is INCREDIBLY good. Don’t bother with Dear Inga though. I’ve eaten at Liho maybe 10 times over the years and never had a bad dish. Get the pineapple dessert for sure. Did you *ask* for vegetarian options or just try to stumble through the menu? They can mod about half the menu to be veggie.

I’m so tired of that poo poo. People would come into my restaurant, not say they needed veggie or gluten free dishes and then leave a yelp like HURRR ITS NOT VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY. Bitch, we can modify 1/3 of the menu as is and can also make you 3-4 other plates entirely if you ask. A restaurant would be foolish to not have vegetarian options in goddamn San Francisco.

Yeah, we asked, we always do, and I agree that it’s pretty much a requirement for SF. Maybe the waitress didn’t know any better. If I recall correctly she said only one or two dishes could be made veggie, beyond the one or two veggie options on the menu, and no one was really impressed with what we received. v:shobon:v

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That’s a bummer than. Sorry if I came off as harsh, it’s a huge irritation of mine. Thank you for asking, anyone that’s a pro in hospitality wants to make people happy, we will pull out all the stops if people make us aware of their needs so it’s super lovely feeling when people complain without asking.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Restaurants are equally foolish for not stating this on their menus and their servers not asking about dietary restrictions first up. Dont blame the customer except when you KNOW they were told the dishes can be moded then they still wrote a poo poo yelp review. Then they're just dumb cunts.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 14, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Uh, LihoLiho is INCREDIBLY good.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hello thread, I'm looking for leads on import wholesalers that 1. supply IT company snack stations, 2. have connections with Bay Area coffee chains, and/or 3. work directly with Japanese companies (JP language support).

PM me with links if you know any.

(I'm looking for distributors to get my client's product out of Japanese import grocery stores and into techbro's workspace and homes.)

VVV what's the deal with kombucha, do people actually like it or do they only drink it for "health benefits" and also WHY is it called kombucha because 昆布茶 already existed and is very different

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 15, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Joyride will supply your company with nitrogen coffee kegs on tap from bay area roasters, and well as kombucha and anything else you may like. You pay them big $$ and they take care of everything else.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

peanut posted:

Hello thread, I'm looking for leads on import wholesalers that 1. supply IT company snack stations, 2. have connections with Bay Area coffee chains, and/or 3. work directly with Japanese companies (JP language support).

We used ohmygreen at a previous place and Fare Resources at my current job for snacks

Carillon
May 9, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Uh, LihoLiho is INCREDIBLY good. Don’t bother with Dear Inga though. I’ve eaten at Liho maybe 10 times over the years and never had a bad dish. Get the pineapple dessert for sure.

That's great to hear! I'll definitely check it out then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Ranter posted:

Restaurants are equally foolish for not stating this on their menus and their servers not asking about dietary restrictions first up. Dont blame the customer except when you KNOW they were told the dishes can be moded then they still wrote a poo poo yelp review. Then they're just dumb cunts.

100% nah. State or ask, you shall be received. Our menu changes up to the minute before the doors open based on what comes in from our farms and purveyors that day and based on who’s cooking in the kitchen on a given day. We’ve been doing it for 20 years for 300+ covers (on a slow day) in SF, literally one of the most awarded and iconic restaurants on the planet - there’s a poetry to our menu. Any restaurant should accommodate a reasonable and legitimate request. Talk to your loving server, you shall receive.

It’s also really weird that you think it’s servers jobs to inquire about preferences. They’re there to state the menu, explain it. If you have a preference, allergy etc. ITS YOUR JOB TO EXPLAIN IT.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 15, 2020