Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tired Moritz posted:

Edelgard is rad cool and I LOVE HER SO MUCH GUYS

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Oh, and incidentally Cythreal, you're actually agreeing with Fojar on some of your points.

You know where that leads.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
edge of dawn is sung by hegeleth, that's why Apex of the World is constantly using its leitmotif

i really like that edelgard is so fundamentally broken by the end of azure moon that she forces dimitri to kill her, that's great character writing. it makes her conclusion on golden deer just a total ??? though since it's awkwardly pasted in from silver snow

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Oh, and incidentally Cythreal, you're actually agreeing with Fojar on some of your points.

You know where that leads.

Shutting down discussion because a person shitposts elsewhere is kind of dumb.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Airspace posted:

Shutting down discussion because a person shitposts elsewhere is kind of dumb.

Fojar shitposted in this thread though.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Fojar shitposted in this thread though.

Everyone shitposts in this thread, though. It's like a rite of passage.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Airspace posted:

Everyone shitposts in this thread, though.

Fair enough.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well, it does kinda tie back to one of the game's overall ideas, that beign that there isn't really gonna be a 100% morally good side in a war.

What has Claude done that's bad or unmoral in any way? Golden deer seems to be 100% the good route and I don't think he does anything questionable on the other routes either.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Avalerion posted:

What has Claude done that's bad or unmoral in any way? Golden deer seems to be 100% the good route and I don't think he does anything questionable on the other routes either.

Claude was absolutely going to start a war of conquest himself. Edelgard just beat him to it so he got to keep his hands clean.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 12, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's also a bit more murderous and cold in the original japanese.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't really want to continue the argument, but I do concede that I was angry after finishing that VW mission and was rage posting more than I should have.

As it is, I think I'm going to take a break from the game after finishing Verdant Wind before starting another campaign regardless of what campaign that is. I've gotten wound up enough about a video game that I understand that I need to take a deep breath, back away, and cool down.

As for Claude, vis a vis Dimitri, what I like most about Claude is simply that Claude's a thinker who always has a plan. Dimitri, much as I like him, is admittedly a blunt instrument sledgehammering his way through the story with brute force and his heart on his sleeve. I appreciate that Claude always has an approach in mind more elegant than "CHARGE!"

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 12, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A consequence of the way the game is plotted.

Since I did Azure Moon last I'm quite biased against Dimitri myself.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Claude's from a nation that declared war on Fodlan three hundred years ago, never pushed for peace, and constantly raids them. His take is "I can't imagine why Fodlans hate Almyrans, clearly they're the ones who need to open their borders!" He makes no attempt to curtail Almyran aggression until well into VW and his referrals to Fodlan as a backwater or primitive can make him come across almost as a coloniser. Still a good boy tho.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Avalerion posted:

His willingness to just kinda gently caress off and leave the alliance to Dimitri/edelgard make him seem like he doesn't really give a poo poo about whats going on once he personally can't benefit from it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finished Verdant Wind. Even on Hard as opposed to normal, the final mission felt much easier than Azure Moon's finale, and I had hilariously good results jacking the catapults in the middle of the map.

On the whole, I didn't like it as much as Azure Moon. I came away from the end feeling like the Agarthans desperately needed more screen time and explanation, perhaps a renegade good guy member to spice up one of the routes (could have helped spice up Silver Snow), and Edelgard's end felt like it belonged in Silver Snow, not the route where you've interacted with her even less than Azure Moon does. There's also no big character arcs like Azure Moon has, Lorenz comes the closest but he just kinda follows along anyway despite grumping. And I don't think the last couple of missions really worked after the emotional climax of taking out Edelgard.

It was an alright story, mainly buoyed by a cast of generally charming characters and their amusing antics, but it didn't impress me like Azure Moon did.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Finished Verdant Wind. Even on Hard as opposed to normal, the final mission felt much easier than Azure Moon's finale, and I had hilariously good results jacking the catapults in the middle of the map.

On the whole, I didn't like it as much as Azure Moon. I came away from the end feeling like the Agarthans desperately needed more screen time and explanation, perhaps a renegade good guy member to spice up one of the routes (could have helped spice up Silver Snow), and Edelgard's end felt like it belonged in Silver Snow, not the route where you've interacted with her even less than Azure Moon does. There's also no big character arcs like Azure Moon has, Lorenz comes the closest but he just kinda follows along anyway despite grumping. And I don't think the last couple of missions really worked after the emotional climax of taking out Edelgard.

It was an alright story, mainly buoyed by a cast of generally charming characters and their amusing antics, but it didn't impress me like Azure Moon did.

Ehhh, I'd say Claude's big arc is definitely there it's just... hard to see if you're not looking for it.

And Flame Emperor's End was absolutely intended for Silver Snow considering she calls Byleth "my teacher".

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I have strong opinions about Claude and am copy pasting this from earlier

My only problem with Best Boy Claude is also writing, they shoehorned him in as a main character without having time/energy/willingness to write a story for him on the GD route outside of changing some interstitials, and it weakens the whole route, especially on the second half.
GD should absolutely be a route where you can distance yourself from Rhea and the Church.

Claude's story doesn't work because it's about breaking down the borders between Alymra and Fodlan, and you never get to actually GO to Alymra, and they are barely involved. Meanwhile the goal of changing Fodlan's culture is accomplished by Edelgard in all routes via her willingness to start a revolution, so players are left with nothing.

I don't buy the idea that Claude has no investment in Fodlan and the Alliance because he has a stake in it due to his heritage, being the source of his ill-treatment in Alymra and if he really was 'treating it as his gap year' he had every opportunity to gently caress off back to Alymra when the war started and refused in every route until he feels the chaos in Fodlan is managable and the immediate danger to the Alliance is passed or can be addressed by whoever Byleth is with. If he was really just loving off when he couldn't get anything out of the Alliance anymore, he'd have left during the five years the Alliance was locked in a stalemate without much hope of anything but getting inevitably overrun by the Empire- to me he is clearly sticking it out because their are people he cares about there.

I say his main problem is his route isn't written for his character, which both Edelgard and Dmitri DO get, and is the reason that he seems like a more interesting character and strategist in other routes\in the first half of his own route.

Also his willingness to leave is hilarious as a final 'gently caress you' to Lorenz on every route.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 12, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

WhalerWren posted:

Claude's from a nation that declared war on Fodlan three hundred years ago, never pushed for peace, and constantly raids them. His take is "I can't imagine why Fodlans hate Almyrans, clearly they're the ones who need to open their borders!" He makes no attempt to curtail Almyran aggression until well into VW and his referrals to Fodlan as a backwater or primitive can make him come across almost as a coloniser. Still a good boy tho.

To be fair, because we never see Alymra in the game we don't know 1) How much power Claude has over them (clearly not enough to command respect, despite being an heir to the throne, he is treated badly because of his heritage- we don't know if he is THE heir or AN heir, and it always seemed like his return to Almyra was to solidify his claim to the throne, but admittedly that is only implied in his S ending with Byleth, and 2) Alymra's side of the story- we only know from Fodlan's perspective what went down historically between Fodlan and Almyra, in a game where not getting the whole story depending on your perspective is a Whole Thing.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Claude is best because he's the only leader who seems to care about minimizing bloodshed.

Plus El's obsession with Byleth kind of creeped me out in CF.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

in my verdant wind playthrough i'm about to attack the slitherers, will i have another monastery segment after this or do i need to knock out my supports now? i want to hold off to the last possible moment so as to not mess up my shipping chart

e: thank you! vvv

Tunklord Supreme fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 12, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Almyra is pretty clearly the Fantasy Middle East to Fodlan's Fantasy Europe.

WhalerWren posted:

the church is a very reliable source of information on people outside of fodlan and you should trust the things they say about almyra.

Tunklord Supreme posted:

in my verdant wind playthrough i'm about to attack the slitherers, will i have another monastery segment after this or do i need to knock out my supports now? i want to hold off to the last possible moment so as to not mess up my shipping chart

you do!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo claude's final map is the easiest of the 4

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I might say Edelgard's the easiest because she's by a mile the most busted unit of the 3 lords.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
She is also the cutest.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

I might say Edelgard's the easiest because she's by a mile the most busted unit of the 3 lords.

It would be nightmarish if Rhea couldn't be stunned. Given her insane slew of buffs, I do not want to imagine a world where she actually gets some attacks off.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

edelgard's is second easiest. they didn't think the gimmick through since you can just ignore most of the golems but the boss itself is stupid on maddening

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

It would be nightmarish if Rhea couldn't be stunned. Given her insane slew of buffs, I do not want to imagine a world where she actually gets some attacks off.

Especially with Cyril lurking nearby with his brave axe. Fucker could one round literally any of my units on Hard and I had to do more warp shenanigans to take him out than I had to do on any route

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The last two times I did the map I never had any real issues with him.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
i'm coming to the conclusion that doing my maddening ng+ runs of VW and CF first lulled me into a false sense of security now that I've hit AW endgame

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Especially with Cyril lurking nearby with his brave axe. Fucker could one round literally any of my units on Hard and I had to do more warp shenanigans to take him out than I had to do on any route

Yeah he's always a little rear end in a top hat, especially since I make it a point to kill him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

capitaldelendaest posted:

i'm coming to the conclusion that doing my maddening ng+ runs of VW and CF first lulled me into a false sense of security now that I've hit AW endgame

My experience with AM was that the problem is not Edelgard herself but all her mooks. Once I actually got into the throne room and cleared out the goons things were smooth sailing, but getting to that point was pulling teeth.

Manatee Cannon posted:

imo claude's final map is the easiest of the 4

I think I got more use out of ballistas on that map than I had in my entire experience with the game prior to then combined. I just sat Claude and Ignatz on the two ballistas and wiped out the entire right side of the map bar the big guy himself.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silver Snow was a joke compared to AM for me, though AM's boss is basically a turret that hurts a lot, and once you get near it it goes down quicker than Rhea. But getting near it is actually hard, unlike SS where I just... rode in and murdered rhea with impunity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

church boss is a literal nightmare on maddening so I'm biased

also the monsters on that map are way harder than any other kind

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So some interesting etymology chat,
Adrestia is another word for Nemesis.
Seiros is another word for the star Sirius which is a "Fell Star" in eastern astrology.
Brigid is the child of Dagda in Irish mythology.
The named Sliterers are named after the "Seven Sages of Greece"

Also if you go into that zoomed in dynasty warriors cam the Sealed Forest has a Giant Crest Stone with the Crest of Flames on it where you fight Kronya/get Sealed. I wonder if at some point in the story that was going to be Sothis' crest stone and they forgot to remove it or if Byleth's stone was a decoy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

more evidence toward my sothis = alien theory

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

👁️_ 👁️

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eimi posted:

You can trivialize her on maddening with enough evasion.

It took a while to beat her though but Amyr ripped through the last health bar.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Edelgard: ...Yeah, I'd still hit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cattail Prophet posted:

Edelgard: ...Yeah, I'd still hit that.
Reminds me of that dumb + goofy twitter thread about "What If the students had twitter?"

Specifically this one:
https://twitter.com/coolfest1999/status/1164033699437875200