Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Somebody started celebrating a little early I reckon, this is one of the most blatant RR runs I've ever seen and this is in DALLAS:

https://i.imgur.com/JVazsPN.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
gently caress that whole area. Pearl constantly being under construction just causes confusion. I've seen people run the red, and I've gotten close trying to figure out which side of the barricades I should be on this week when there were way more of them out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looking for dashcam recommendations. I've checked out the ones I can find on the last couple pages and haven't quite found what I'm looking for: I'd like it to be relatively stealth (like this Aukey or this Vantrue), I'd like a Parking Mode that is entered automatically (which I'm sure requires hardwiring, which I intend anyway, but I don't want to plug it into the OBD port). Bonus points if it's a dual front/rear setup, but I'm ok with wiring up two separately if needed.

The VanTrue requires the OBD port for parking mode, the Blueskysea B1W that I saw recommended in the last couple pages requires you to switch to parking mode manually.

Is this possible? The best answer I can come up with seems to be those modern BlackVues, but fuuuuuuck, that price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krakkles posted:

Is this possible? The best answer I can come up with seems to be those modern BlackVues, but fuuuuuuck, that price.

Blackvue DR590W-2ch with the Power Magic Pro kit?

If you want something that's really stealth the Blendmount kits are really nice, so maybe look at the models they offer (Blackvue is one of only a few). You can then take it to a stereo installation place and have them run the wires so it's all nice and tucked away.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 7, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've got a midrange 2-channel Blackvue and I'd recommend it. Parking mode with only recording motion, and a 128 GB SD card means I get quite a lot of video captured before old video gets overwritten. The only problem is that video transfer over wifi is pretty slow, so you pretty much need to remove the SD card and put it in a PC to view videos.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 7, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Blackvue DR590W-2ch with the Power Magic Pro kit?

If you want something that's really stealth the Blendmount kits are really nice, so maybe look at the models they offer (Blackvue is one of only a few). You can then take it to a stereo installation place and have them run the wires so it's all nice and tucked away.
This is looking more and more likely, although it's still more than I was hoping to spend. I didn't know Blendmount made mounts for this, but I'm familiar with their products - I have their Valentine One mount in my cars. And I'd wire this myself, but appreciate the thought.

Craptacular posted:

I've got a midrange 2-channel Blackvue and I'd recommend it. Parking mode with only recording motion, and a 128 GB SD card means I get quite a lot of video captured before old video gets overwritten. The only problem is that video transfer over wifi is pretty slow, so you pretty much need to remove the SD card and put it in a PC to view videos.
I'm ok with that. Dumb question: The DR590 listed on BlackVue's site asks for "memory size" - does it not use cards?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krakkles posted:

This is looking more and more likely, although it's still more than I was hoping to spend. I didn't know Blendmount made mounts for this, but I'm familiar with their products - I have their Valentine One mount in my cars. And I'd wire this myself, but appreciate the thought.
I'm ok with that. Dumb question: The DR590 listed on BlackVue's site asks for "memory size" - does it not use cards?

it does but they want to sell you their own industrial-grade cards, technically they only warranty the thing if you're using their cards (so be sure not to mention this if you need service lol)

blackvue also gets persnickety unless you purchase the dashcam from one of their handful of authorized retailers. Odds are good though that it's either going to work right out of the box or it's not (and you send it back to whoever you bought it from) so the loss of warranty is not really a big deal imo

They're somewhat correct that regular microSD cards are not meant to be written all day every day, I use a Samsung EVO High Endurance 128GB (or you can get it from Samsung directly), and they also are rated to industrial temperature ranges too (sitting on the dash of a hot car in the sun)

note that unlike the dashcam purchase I strongly recommend you purchase the microSD card from a known retailer that is not Amazon, because flash cards and USB sticks are very commonly counterfeited. B+H or another camera place is fine

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ah, that makes sense. I'm good with that. Thank you!

Edit: Probably last question: There are a few amazon reviews on the 590 where the person is saying it's impossible to make out a license plate - but it also looks like the images they're supplying as "proof" are live view images. I'm assuming that in the actual recorded video, copied off the SD card and viewed on a PC, that's not generally an issue?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I found that's impossible to see license plates at night, even on the video exported to PC. But I don't think it's the fault of the camera, rather than my headlights overexposing the license plate of the car in front. The camera picks a median white balance at night, that's way too dark for that bright license plate, so it shows up as a rectangle of white light. If anyone has a solution for this, I would love to know

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, that's probably an issue no matter what. The person on Amazon was saying it's an issue in daylight, too, though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I can see plates in daylight, at least. But the focus window is so small, that two cars away, is too far away. My advice to everyone is to keep the sound recording on, and then simply read the plate out loud. Because your eyes can focus on things elsewhere, it really helps. Another thing that's really helpful, is to keep your videos short, 60 seconds or less. That way it's a lot quicker for Wi-Fi transfer into your phone at the scene of the accident. Most of the actual footage you need to see is a few seconds long.

QED https://youtu.be/Ue24ic6RdGc

My camera is blueskysea by the way, $60 well spent.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krakkles posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I'm good with that. Thank you!

Edit: Probably last question: There are a few amazon reviews on the 590 where the person is saying it's impossible to make out a license plate - but it also looks like the images they're supplying as "proof" are live view images. I'm assuming that in the actual recorded video, copied off the SD card and viewed on a PC, that's not generally an issue?

dashcams often have pretty poor resolution off-axis, the lenses do OK in the center but it's hard to get good corner resolution out of what's barely short of a fisheye lens, and to echo Nitrox everything gets worse at night, not just because of glare, but also because they're pushing up the ISO on the sensors to bring up the brightness, which increases noise and craters dynamic range.

Yes, that looks like a screenshot of the blackvue app (see the bar thing at the bottom) but the source video is not perfect either

I just checked a video from my DR750GW that I uploaded to youtube a while back, and a license plate on the far right would probably be readable, but I also looked at one at night when I got it and couldn't read the plate, so ymmv. You're not guaranteed to get a plate especially with a 1080p cam (this is 4K).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
After tons more research I decided against the Thinkware camera, and am instead thinking that a VIOFO 4K Dual Dash Cam A129 Pro Duo is a much better bang for the buck camera. Anyone have any experience with it?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
This is a hell of a setup:

Do they sell whole kits like this or did someone just DIY 4 cameras together?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

I found that's impossible to see license plates at night, even on the video exported to PC. But I don't think it's the fault of the camera, rather than my headlights overexposing the license plate of the car in front. The camera picks a median white balance at night, that's way too dark for that bright license plate, so it shows up as a rectangle of white light. If anyone has a solution for this, I would love to know

That’s an exposure issue, not white balance.

I say that because knowing that might help you fix it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm gonna go with DIY. Also, camera car is a dick in that situation for being in the middle lane for no good reason.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The #3 lane was ending anyway. I rarely drive in the right-most lane because I don’t want to constantly deal with mergers, unless it’s only two lanes. To make up for my lane discipline transgression, I always move out of the way if someone is coming up behind me more quickly, instead of making them “undertake.”

That was some A+ footage, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm gonna go with DIY. Also, camera car is a dick in that situation for being in the middle lane for no good reason.
99% sure that’s a Tesla. Maybe other OEMs have made it available too, but the mid-panel side camera is usually a Tesla thing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Its Tesla dash cam. You can always tell its a Tesla cam if you see the front view; due to the type of camera they use; the front one always has a strange off-color look to it. Their newer vehicles have a "TeslaCam" feature that records the sides, front, and rear cameras simultaneously.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Platystemon posted:

That’s an exposure issue, not white balance.

I say that because knowing that might help you fix it.
Noted, thanks. But as far as I know, there is no fix on my end

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The dashcam might have an option in the menu to let you nudge the exposure down.

Of course, that might make it difficult or impossible to see anything that isn’t a licence plate.

To get good images of shadows and highlights at the same time, cameras need enough dynamic range. You’re stuck with what your camera has, but next time, that’s something to look for in reviews.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Toe Rag posted:

The #3 lane was ending anyway. I rarely drive in the right-most lane because I don’t want to constantly deal with mergers, unless it’s only two lanes. To make up for my lane discipline transgression, I always move out of the way if someone is coming up behind me more quickly, instead of making them “undertake.”

That was some A+ footage, though.

I bet you don't drive in Europe then? You'd get ticketed for middle lane hogging.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

MrOnBicycle posted:

I bet you don't drive in Europe then? You'd get ticketed for middle lane hogging.

While technically by law in most European countries, yes, that's illegal–I have never seen anyone getting pulled over for it. That's despite it being quite common across Europe.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mo Hawk posted:

While technically by law in most European countries, yes, that's illegal–I have never seen anyone getting pulled over for it. That's despite it being quite common across Europe.

Hell, it is law in certain states in the US as well. But it is rarely enforced except by really bored officers.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

Well personally I am going to adapt my driving to local custom/law. If I were in Germany, for example, I would probably not go into the fast lane at all, unless I had to to pass. Freeways in the US, or at least California, are a free-for-all, though, and you’re just going to get stuck if you only try to pass on the left or adhere to sensible lane discipline. I’m almost always in the #1/“fast lane” going fast(er). If someone comes up behind me, then I pull over for them to pass. If my dog is in the car then I go slower but not slow enough that being in the rightmost lane makes sense. :shobon:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That video is infuriating me simply due to how unnecessary it all was. Subaru is so unaware that not only do they not know they're enraging someone behind them, they also don't see the brake check coming that was telegraphed from a mile away.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
He also starts accelerating to cut the other driver off as soon as the car behind makes a move to pass, so, gently caress that guy

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

That video is infuriating me simply due to how unnecessary it all was. Subaru is so unaware that not only do they not know they're enraging someone behind them, they also don't see the brake check coming that was telegraphed from a mile away.

hypnophant posted:

He also starts accelerating to cut the other driver off as soon as the car behind makes a move to pass, so, gently caress that guy

Typical Washington / Oregon drivers. I see this happen all the time with left lane campers

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LloydDobler posted:

Also, that generation legacy and outback have loving awful liftoff oversteer and didn't come with esp on most trims.
It's actually loving hilarious when you know it is coming, but unexpected, I can see this happening.
However, I think the subaru did know he was behind him and purposely pissing him off.
All that said, that is 100% legally the Lexus fault and if the tesla got the plate, they're going to get legally hosed.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Toe Rag posted:

Well personally I am going to adapt my driving to local custom/law. If I were in Germany, for example, I would probably not go into the fast lane at all, unless I had to to pass. Freeways in the US, or at least California, are a free-for-all, though, and you’re just going to get stuck if you only try to pass on the left or adhere to sensible lane discipline. I’m almost always in the #1/“fast lane” going fast(er). If someone comes up behind me, then I pull over for them to pass. If my dog is in the car then I go slower but not slow enough that being in the rightmost lane makes sense. :shobon:

Dude the best part about going to Germany is getting your car up to 220 and driving in the fast lane. Whatcha talkin bout

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nitr0 posted:

Dude the best part about going to Germany is getting your car up to 220 and driving in the fast lane. Whatcha talkin bout

technically you can drive 220 in all lanes :eng101:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitr0 posted:

Going 220 in the fast lane might even get you honked to go in the standard lane depending on the area

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

LloydDobler posted:

Naw. Subaru was doing it on purpose. As hypnophant said,

hypnophant posted:

Also, this is the shorta poo poo dashcams are made for.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Finally a little dashcam incident for the thread. Not too exciting just being aware of the cars coming down the hill and knowing when to stop before completing the turn. I shouldn't have rolled through the stop sign because I didn't want to stop and wanted to have momentum. Hard habit to break of just rolling and not stopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNcXhCog-E

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Also have a little content, this is Eastbound at I-10 and Shepard in Houston. I didn't bother saving the front cam footage because it shows nothing, but someone already ran the red, I looked for late runners and saw absolutely nothing, but I almost got T-boned!

https://youtu.be/gp9lEN8WJlU

(Camera is very old Mobius in 720p60 mode.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Finally a little dashcam incident for the thread. Not too exciting just being aware of the cars coming down the hill and knowing when to stop before completing the turn. I shouldn't have rolled through the stop sign because I didn't want to stop and wanted to have momentum. Hard habit to break of just rolling and not stopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNcXhCog-E

Yeah that looked like a perfection condition for a crash - snowy/cold with opposing traffic coming down hill means they can't stop. You're turning so you can't rush through because either you'll just spin your tires or because you'll slide out. I always feel like these are the kinds of situations where everything seems fine (or a mild phew) on the surface but is probably a lot closer to disaster than anyone realizes

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What am I invisible to you people :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsggFv-F8vw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I didn't hear any turn signal clicker

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I didn't hear any turn signal clicker

it was there. Might have been late, but it was there before they pulled into the intersection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have gotten into the habit of using my car's thing where if you just move the indicator switch a little it will blink a few times. I don't usually leave it clicked full on unless I'm turning from a not-turn-only lane and need to let cars coming from behind know what's up.

Either way, being in the left-turn-only lane and, you know, physically turning left, should have clued the other driver in that I was in fact turning left and that they should not drive forward from their stop sign into oncoming traffic.