Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MichiganCubbie posted:

People didn't think TNG would get better, but liked the characters. Same with DS9. I still have hope for Discovery, and as annoying as it's been at times, the first two seasons of Discovery have been the best first two seasons of Star Trek since TOS. There are good and great episodes within the first two seasons of the other shows, but there are lower lows in them as well.

I don't think DS9 scraped bottom as hard as Discovery in its first season by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TNG scraped the bottom the hardest in season one. DS9 and Voyager were just middling the first years. If we’re ranking first seasons:

TOS
DS9
DIS
ENT
VOY
TNG

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

finally was able to sit through all of TNG's pilot tonight. laughed my rear end off when the guy with the long hair appeared to be vaporized right in front of Riker. I really hate Wesley so far. Troy (sp?) seems to only be capable of giving us information we've already learned like10-15 seconds before. Costumes were kind of poo poo but maybe I'm supposed to be laughing at Q the whole time idk.

So far it seems a lot like a Star Trek though so i'm down for more.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kidkissinger posted:

finally was able to sit through all of TNG's pilot tonight. laughed my rear end off when the guy with the long hair appeared to be vaporized right in front of Riker. I really hate Wesley so far. Troy (sp?) seems to only be capable of giving us information we've already learned like10-15 seconds before. Costumes were kind of poo poo but maybe I'm supposed to be laughing at Q the whole time idk.

So far it seems a lot like a Star Trek though so i'm down for more.

Yeah it takes a good long while for them to find a reason for Troi to be there beyond big tiddy cheerleader.

It really isn't sensible to have a mental health professional as a full-time member of the bridge crew. She is occasionally useful when something comes up suddenly, but she'd be far more useful, you know, in her office doing her job. She's a professional counselor, not a professional empath.

Makes more sense in the mirror universe where having an empath spy on the bridge crew all day is plausible.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just realized I posted in the Disco thread and not the main one like an idiot

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

twistedmentat posted:

I'm confused by Children of Mars
if it is a prequel to Picard why does the shipyard seem to be building Disco era ships? Though I'm curious if the Rogue Synths in it are Borg related or Soong android models.

It had Disco era ships, shuttles, and stations, and apparently the year 3,000 three star Federation logo? *shakes head*

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was a bit worried of something like this happened from the moment I saw the first Picard trailer and saw that the computer screens had the exact same look as the Disco ones.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Peachfart posted:

This post sucks, a lot.

kidkissinger posted:

This has to be the worst post in this thread

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You guys I'm pretty sure he was joking considering he was responding to his own post

Thank you.

Arglebargle III posted:

And what's the good news?

This thread is for people to obsess about ST: Discovery, and now there will be more to obsess about.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah it takes a good long while for them to find a reason for Troi to be there beyond big tiddy cheerleader.

It really isn't sensible to have a mental health professional as a full-time member of the bridge crew. She is occasionally useful when something comes up suddenly, but she'd be far more useful, you know, in her office doing her job. She's a professional counselor, not a professional empath.

Makes more sense in the mirror universe where having an empath spy on the bridge crew all day is plausible.

80% of Troi's advice is terrible anyway.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fashionable Jorts posted:

80% of Troi's advice is terrible anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqwYUumrXm0

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Troi in the early seasons of TNG was basically Padparadscha from Steven Universe;

Data: Romulan Warbird Decloaking, their weapons are armed!
Troi : I sense hostile intentions from them!

She is eventually given stuff to do, and you actually see her do her job in a bunch of episodes. It's just Roddenberry didn't know what to do with women. He knew they should be there and in positions of authority, but he didn't know what that actually meant and couldn't get over the fact he was a giant sex creep. Another issue with the early seasons is they seem to write the show as if Riker was the main character. Picard came in when there needed to be some lawyering to do, but mostly it was Riker out there.

Disco never goes to the levels of NO VACCINE! Or Moose Knuckle sex planet where they kill you when you step on the flowers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Troi might've worked if they'd properly used her as a xenopsychologist, there to analyse the actions of baffling and inhuman aliens and try to understand them and interpret them for the captain during first contact or early scenarios. That was the idea for her on paper, as well as being the ship's mental health professional, but it never ensued.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Troi in the early seasons of TNG was basically Padparadscha from Steven Universe;

Data: Romulan Warbird Decloaking, their weapons are armed!
Troi : I sense hostile intentions from them!

She is eventually given stuff to do, and you actually see her do her job in a bunch of episodes. It's just Roddenberry didn't know what to do with women. He knew they should be there and in positions of authority, but he didn't know what that actually meant and couldn't get over the fact he was a giant sex creep. Another issue with the early seasons is they seem to write the show as if Riker was the main character. Picard came in when there needed to be some lawyering to do, but mostly it was Riker out there.

Disco never goes to the levels of NO VACCINE! Or Moose Knuckle sex planet where they kill you when you step on the flowers.

Omg when Picard is talking about the giant jellyfish things and he's like "it's her mate" the camera cuts back and forth between Rikker and Troi like three times I swear it sucks so mucn.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't think DS9 scraped bottom as hard as Discovery in its first season by a long shot.

Not to mention what episodes of Discovery would you ever want to see again? There is no strong episode that really stands on it's own. DS9 might have been very mixed in the first two seasons but even those two seasons had some gems in it and after them you also had characters to work with. Discovery didn't even build any foundations in regards to characters, world building etc. and instead we get a reset button for a lot of things (characters are erased / completetly changed or ignored and the original setting is abandoned). There is simply no setup, Discovery season 3 might as well be a different show.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

LinkesAuge posted:

Not to mention what episodes of Discovery would you ever want to see again? There is no strong episode that really stands on it's own. DS9 might have been very mixed in the first two seasons but even those two seasons had some gems in it and after them you also had characters to work with. Discovery didn't even build any foundations in regards to characters, world building etc. and instead we get a reset button for a lot of things (characters are erased / completetly changed or ignored and the original setting is abandoned). There is simply no setup, Discovery season 3 might as well be a different show.

Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad. You don't need much background except "Harry Mudd is pissed."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

kidkissinger posted:

Omg when Picard is talking about the giant jellyfish things and he's like "it's her mate" the camera cuts back and forth between Rikker and Troi like three times I swear it sucks so mucn.

Yup, Big Rod thought he had found TVs new Sam and Diane. It's amazing that he assembled this excellent cast and then had no idea what to do with them. It took Pillar and Ron D Moore and even Brannen and Braga to come in and create what is probably one of the greatest TV shows of the late 20th century. It is funny if you look at Roddenberry's career it's mostly failed pilots and one season shows, and was always putting Majel Berret into them, which no one liked, because even back then it was kind of frowned upon to put your mistress in your tv shows. Even TOS is probably more due to Dorthy Fontana, Dean Coon and others that made it even watchable.

I can think of more Disco episodes than Enterprise season 1 episodes I'd rewatch I'll tell you that. The whole mirror universe arc for example.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LinkesAuge posted:

I liked Jason Isaacs before the heel turn so

Context is for Kings
Choose Your Pain
Lethe - added good context to Sarek/Spock
Magic
Despite Yourself (The first mirror universe. It was fun seeing them change the sets, and ended with a really good turbolift fight.)

S2
New Eden
If Memory Serves (The Talos IV episode)
Through the Valley of Shadows (Pike Time crystal)

I've rewatched these a few times and still enjoy them.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
More potentially good news!

quote:

This morning, the 31st Annual GLAAD Media Awards nominees were announced, and Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access) was on the nomination list.

The GLAAD Media Awards “recognizes the various avenues of media for their fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBTQ community and the issues that affect their lives.”

Star Trek: Discovery was nominated for Outstanding Drama Series. The other competitors for the award are: Batwoman (The CW), Billions (Showtime), Euphoria (HBO), Killing Eve (AMC), The L Word: Generation Q (Showtime), The Politician (Netflix), Pose (FX), Shadowhunters (Freeform), and Supergirl (The CW)

There will be two ceremonies to hand out the GLAAD Awards; one in New York City at the Hilton Midtown on March 19, and the second in Los Angeles at the Beverly Hilton on April 16.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

twistedmentat posted:

...and was always putting Majel Berret into them, which no one liked, because even back then it was kind of frowned upon to put your mistress in your tv shows.

She was also atrociously awful as an actress. Every episode with Troi's mum in it has extreme Go Away heat.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Every episode with Troi's mum in it has extreme Go Away heat.

:wtc:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

She was also atrociously awful as an actress.

I might agree with you, if not for the Lwaxana episodes with Odo. She COULD actually act, she just almost never got the chance to do it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

She was also atrociously awful as an actress. Every episode with Troi's mum in it has extreme Go Away heat.

More like Dummy Joe Stalin

Lwaxana rules

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I swear some people still need to learn the difference between “my character is written to be annoying” and bad acting.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Do you get how this opinion contradicts itself or no?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CaveGrinch posted:

I swear some people still need to learn the difference between “my character is written to be annoying” and bad acting.

I swear people assume actors write their own parts as well.

People don't know what bad acting is since they rarely actually get to see it.

So is this gonna be the Picard thread too or has someone already made one?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And a lot of “bad acting” is actually bad direction. You can be a good actor and still be directed into sounded stilted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Picard needs it's own thread because this thread is a mess and the other Trek thread is loving horrible.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HD DAD posted:

And a lot of “bad acting” is actually bad direction. You can be a good actor and still be directed into sounded stilted.

Direction, editing, but most importantly... writing.

Rhyno posted:

Picard needs it's own thread because this thread is a mess and the other Trek thread is loving horrible.

Yeah I'm not setting foot in there, surprised to see this one still going. What the heck y'all still talking about re discovery?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're talking about Luxwana Troi.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rhyno posted:

We're talking about Luxwana Troi.

Oof. Sounds like a bad time, friend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oof. Sounds like a bad time, friend.

It depends on if we focus on TNG or DS9 really. It's like two different characters.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Do you get how this opinion contradicts itself or no?

There's no contradiction at all. The character is meant to be annoying but fundamentally likeable at her core. However annoying to the point of making the viewer feel like skipping the episode just because she's in it? No. Hence "Go Away".

Every one of her episodes feels like exactly what it is, an exercise in keeping the estate happy. Like a review put on so that elderly Equity members can keep their pension.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rhyno posted:

It depends on if we focus on TNG or DS9 really. It's like two different characters.

I honestly don't remember her appearance on DS9, I think I must have instinctively skipped it on the rewatch. Guess I'll have to check it out if I want my takes to be on point.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lizard Combatant posted:

I honestly don't remember her appearance on DS9, I think I must have instinctively skipped it on the rewatch. Guess I'll have to check it out if I want my takes to be on point.

I really wouldn't bother.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Gimmick characters like Q, Vic Fontaine, Luxwana, everything about section 31, exist to keep the absolute worst of the fan base happy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Gimmick characters like Q, Vic Fontaine, Luxwana, everything about section 31, exist to keep the absolute worst of the fan base happy.

Characters are just tools, there's nothing inherently wrong with any of those characters. It's how a writer uses them. Even Fontaine got It's Only a Paper Moon, a series highlight.

The writer is the one driving the bus to poo poo town, don't blame the passengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vic Fontaine is the goddamned worst and that opinion is what eventually drove me from the old Trek thread.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lizard Combatant posted:

The writer is the one driving the bus to poo poo town, don't blame the passengers.

In general, yes. Section 31 however is very much the smelly aggressive guy talking loudly to strangers about the CIA and using the word "sheeple" while his fat wife sits there in her bright pink tracksuit, holding an oversize pink suitcase, and talking loudly into a pink phone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea, and I understand she's meant to be annoying and bring some life into what is a bunch of stuffy peoples lives, but holy poo poo every episode she's written into its made to see like she's the greatest character ever made and isn't she funny!

The only decent ones are the one where they get kidnapped by the Feringi and she's shown to be actually really good at manipulating people, and also the one where they find out that Troi had an older sister that died and she had been keeping that grief inside her for decades. And yea, the DS9 ones with her that aren't her making everyone horny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She and Odo were such a great match.