Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I couldn't say because it was basically my intro to smoking. I don't think it provides anything really amazingly unique for the weber, but it is nice and consistently easy to use. It's actually probably a ton more useful for the searing portion, because it's a lot harder to have a well formed pile of charcoal that stays in place if you're doing that on the grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Slow N Sear guys - is there a significant difference using it versus charcoal baskets and a water pan? I've considered buying but I just don't know if it's worth the cost.
I wasn't a huge fan of the charcoal baskets (I mainly used the snake before buying my Slow N Sear). Seemed harder to get a reliable temp, and usually only got a few hours of burn out of them.

For me, the SNS is a lot more consistent and burns a lot longer (can usually do 8 @ 225). It also opens up the unused space in the lower grate so you can cook more food. And the sear zone gets bonkers hot.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kalman posted:

Do you have an air thermometer measuring air temp to see if the setpoint is actually being held by the electric?

Yes. Swings of ten degrees plus or minus but it holds.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

When people talk about crutching in butcher paper, do they mean the slightly waxy stuff or just straight heavy-duty paper?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Carillon posted:

When people talk about crutching in butcher paper, do they mean the slightly waxy stuff or just straight heavy-duty paper?

Unwaxed for sure. Ask your butcher and he may give you some, but make sure it's not the lined or waxed kind.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does that make a big difference? I've always used foil which seems to kill the bark a little.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

Does that make a big difference? I've always used foil which seems to kill the bark a little.

No idea. I know the pros (that crutch) seem to swear by it. I could see where it would breathe a little bit and also soak up some of the moisture and/or fat that may otherwise soften the bark, but whether it makes a difference in practice I can't say.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Paper won't soften the bark as much as foil but will still take it through the stall.

Definitely don't use waxed paper unless you want it all over your pit and food.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Unwaxed for sure. Ask your butcher and he may give you some, but make sure it's not the lined or waxed kind.

Yeah they had both and I took the unwaxed he gave me, but wanted to make sure that was the correct choice!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

um excuse me posted:

It matters if the wax melts!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey so since I’m starting out new and I’m having an issue with timing, I think I’ll just try starting way earlier than normal to be sure I can eat it at a norma dinner time.

I think for pulled pork I can put it in a cooler wrapped in towels for a while, right? Any idea how long it will keep at a decent temp and still taste good without reheating?

What about ribs? What should I do if those finish 2-3 hours before dinner time? Same thing? Just wrap and store in a cooler?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Hey so since I’m starting out new and I’m having an issue with timing, I think I’ll just try starting way earlier than normal to be sure I can eat it at a norma dinner time.

I think for pulled pork I can put it in a cooler wrapped in towels for a while, right? Any idea how long it will keep at a decent temp and still taste good without reheating?

What about ribs? What should I do if those finish 2-3 hours before dinner time? Same thing? Just wrap and store in a cooler?

Wrapped and stored in a cooler you can go 3 hours without issue.

edit: For ribs I'm not sure because they lack mass. But you could probably toss ribs under the broiler for a couple minutes to bring them back to temp. I would think.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, I meant difference between butcher paper and foil. You all can't read my mind!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nwin posted:

Ribs might be a little more difficult to hold at temp, but aren't nearly as hard to time correctly IMO.

For large cuts like a pork shoulder, if you really need to hold something at temp, pre-heat your cooler with hot water. Dump that out, then proceed as normal and you'll be good to go.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

um excuse me posted:

Sorry, I meant difference between butcher paper and foil. You all can't read my mind!

Foil doesn't let any moisture escape, so the bark will get softer for sure, especially if you're mixing in a glaze or something. But once it's up to temp you can just unwrap it and let it blast on the grill or in the oven and it crisps right up again.

The paper breathes more so moisture can escape from it and let the bark stay dry.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I use a Weber Kettle for most of my smoking. It's great, but it takes a long time to fire up, so not very practical for weeknight cooking.

I also have a GMG Davy Crockett (pellet grill) which is great because it fires up really quickly, but something is wrong with the temperature regulation and the heat is really uneven. It tends to overcook the poo poo out of things. There was a big grease fire in it about a year ago that probably jacked it up.

I want something to replace the pellet grill that is cheap-ish and really quick and easy to fire up after work and not pay attention to. Should I just get a MES?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, I joined the pellet grill mafia, and celebrated with two racks of 3-2-1 spare ribs.

They were loving fantastic.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

So, I joined the pellet grill mafia, and celebrated with two racks of 3-2-1 spare ribs.

They were loving fantastic.

What sauce is that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RisqueBarber posted:

What sauce is that?

Some local (Florida) dry rub, and then apple juice, brown sugar, honey, and butter for the middle portion while wrapped, and Salt Lick original basted on when they came out of the wrap.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

One of two pork shoulders I did last night!

They were odd in that they never really hit a stall like I've experienced before, the temp kept going up but slowly. Most of the other stuff I've done has just hit say 156 and not budged, these didn't do that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Alright, I went ahead and ordered a roll of the LavaLock.

I’m loving terrified I’m gonna break something.

I broke something...

... an ab muscle, while I was lifting weights on Wednesday. So I’m on chair-rest for at least the next couple of days. Hopefully I’ll be healed enough to change those gaskets on Monday or so, because I really want to smoke some St. Louis ribs and chicken wings.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
salt, pepper, 275 on a weber Smokey mountain. Tasted fantastic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tips on getting chicken wings crispy as gently caress? I usually smoke at 180 for an hour to get flavor, then crank it to 375ish to try to crisp it up until they hit 165. I typically brush olive oil on them, the slap some rub on them. Nothing too fancy, but they always come out with soggy skin, or they’re semi-crispy until they cool down a bit, then they go soggy.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You’re never going to get as crispy as in a deep fryer, or even a convection oven, but putting them on a rack in the fridge to dry out overnight will help. Hit them with a little salt first.

This will also give them a pellicle, which will absorb smoke better than fresh out of the package, so you can spend more time at high heat for the same amount of smoke flavor.

Edit: I think Kenji/Alton say that some baking soda helps, but I haven’t tried it personally, and I’m on mobile right now so can’t confirm.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 12, 2020

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Edit: I think Kenji/Alton say that some baking soda helps, but I haven’t tried it personally, and I’m on mobile right now so can’t confirm.

Baking powder not soda, right?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dango Bango posted:

Baking powder not soda, right?

Pretty sure it’s soda. The thought being that raising ph increases the speed of the Maillard reaction, which is browning. Same reason why pretzels get dipped in baking soda or lye water.

Edit: Nope! Powder was right. He says “baking powder increases surface area” which doesn’t make sense to me, but I’d trust Kenji over me any day of the week.

Double edit: okay, he says the the liquid brought to the surface by the salt is full of protein, which makes sense, and the water reacts with baking powder and forms tons of tiny little bubbles. The protein keeps the bubbles even when it dries out, adding crunch, which also makes sense. Will have to try it myself.

I’m a little worried about the baking powder taste since that seems like a lot, and I can taste the metallic bitterness when a batch of biscuits have even just a little too much. Possible the sauce will just completely overpower it though.

Again, when in doubt, assume Kenji knows better.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 12, 2020

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Bob A Feet posted:

salt, pepper, 275 on a weber Smokey mountain. Tasted fantastic.

That's beautiful. Beef ribs are a touch rich but a great treat every once in a while.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Tips on getting chicken wings crispy as gently caress? I usually smoke at 180 for an hour to get flavor, then crank it to 375ish to try to crisp it up until they hit 165. I typically brush olive oil on them, the slap some rub on them. Nothing too fancy, but they always come out with soggy skin, or they’re semi-crispy until they cool down a bit, then they go soggy.

The vortex has totally changed my wing game. They come out quick and are loving amazing, nice amount of smoke, and perfectly crispy. I still like to salt them the night before and lay them out on a wire rack in the fridge, then hit them with rub before preparing the grill.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah I've done the baking powder and salt tossed with wings then kept uncovered in the fridge overnight. I've only baked in an oven not in the grill but they come out pretty amazing. Closest to deep fried you'll get I think.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I sauce wings and then slap them on a super hot grill after smoking. Nothing will beat frying them though.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

qutius posted:

The vortex has totally changed my wing game. They come out quick and are loving amazing, nice amount of smoke, and perfectly crispy. I still like to salt them the night before and lay them out on a wire rack in the fridge, then hit them with rub before preparing the grill.

This is the real answer. Don't smoke your wings, blast them with a kettle + vortex. They come out just about as crispy as fried.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m curious to know whether it’s better to grill wings before or after smoking. After is a bit easier for me to do, but one of the wing recipes I use most often says to grill them before smoking.

xsf421 posted:

This is the real answer. Don't smoke your wings, blast them with a kettle + vortex. They come out just about as crispy as fried.

What if you want to do both? Will they still come out crispy if you smoke them for like 10-20 minutes and then finish with the Vortex?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Smoking always works better on uncooked food.

xsf421 posted:

Don't smoke your wings

No

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 13, 2020

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Some local (Florida) dry rub, and then apple juice, brown sugar, honey, and butter for the middle portion while wrapped, and Salt Lick original basted on when they came out of the wrap.

Love Salt Lick original and the spicy one is even better

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Smoke them then put them in an air fryer for a few minutes to crisp up.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I. M. Gei posted:

What if you want to do both? Will they still come out crispy if you smoke them for like 10-20 minutes and then finish with the Vortex?

Put a nice chunk of smoke wood on top of the vortex and you get smoky, crispy wings in next to no time. I've pulled wings off that were as crispy as coming out of the fryer.

This was the most recent batch, before tossing them in sauce

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Between the vortex and some people’s results they have posted, it seems like a WSM should be my next smoker. I have an MES and was against doing a WSM because I thought I’d have to constantly fuel it, but it seems like they can be pretty efficient?

How do they do in weather around 40 degrees? My MES can maintain the temperature without a problem-I probably just pay a higher electricity bill. What about a WSM? It doesn’t seem like it’s insulated at all.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Cold is fine. Rain is fine. Snow is fine.

Our only enemy is wind.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo wings get plenty of smoke if you grill them grill them over indirect heat. refrigeration with baking powder and salt prior is essential for crispyness.

this guy used to write for SE and he has so many good wing recipes:
https://meatwave.com/blog/tags/wings

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nwin posted:

Between the vortex and some people’s results they have posted, it seems like a WSM should be my next smoker. I have an MES and was against doing a WSM because I thought I’d have to constantly fuel it, but it seems like they can be pretty efficient?

How do they do in weather around 40 degrees? My MES can maintain the temperature without a problem-I probably just pay a higher electricity bill. What about a WSM? It doesn’t seem like it’s insulated at all.

As someone already mentioned, wind is a bitch with the WSM.

Depending on how many you're cooking for, tho, a Weber kettle can do a great job too. Either way, look at CL for something used if you want to go that route. I enjoy both my kettle and WSM, they're fun to cook with!