Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Sweeping up all the loose debris can help your fps as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay so, my oxygen is fully renewable, spoms fed from a cool steam vent.

My food is fully renewable, farms fed water/polluted water from geysers and dirt from 28 pips.

My power is fully renewable as I'm completely off coal at this point.

I think it's time I just built a gently caress ton of containers and give a map wide tidy command and dig out the entire oil biome for fossils and let the game just run overnight. Worst case scenario I lose a dupe or three when they dig/build in stupid ways and get themselves trapped. Should be fun.

I forgot to check how much dirt I was actually consuming for the longest time, turns out it was a dangerously high amount considering I had no production of it, I had to slam down like 5 pip ranches to fix it. Thankfully I had time for them to reproduce and populate the ranches before I ran out of dirt.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 12, 2020

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
How do Pips work anyway? I had a wild one holed up in a Nature Reserve so I put seeds in there for it to make more free food sites and after like thirty cycles it had only pulled some seeds out of the storage onto the floor.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How do Pips work anyway? I had a wild one holed up in a Nature Reserve so I put seeds in there for it to make more free food sites and after like thirty cycles it had only pulled some seeds out of the storage onto the floor.

They need natural tiles and enough space - I think it's about three tiles per plant. It might also be faster if they're domesticated, but I'm not sure about that.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Aethernet posted:

They need natural tiles and enough space - I think it's about three tiles per plant. It might also be faster if they're domesticated, but I'm not sure about that.

I have a mod that lets me build natural tiles out of dirt, and it was a well lit room with plenty of space. Maybe the mod's version of the tile doesn't count for some reason.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I have a mod that lets me build natural tiles out of dirt, and it was a well lit room with plenty of space. Maybe the mod's version of the tile doesn't count for some reason.

Could test this by digging out some of those tiles and using the console to paint unmodded dirt tiles.

I’ve never fuxed with Pips so I at least would be interested to know.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Planting with pips is weird. They won't plant if there's over a certain number of plants in the area, and the area they search isn't symmetrical, so you can plant more plants if you go right-to-left rather than left-to-right. I think you get more planting top-to-bottom too. There are guides with the exact figures & area.

If they aren't planting, it's almost always because there are too many plants in the search area already.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I do try to cut my Reserves down to the smallest useful size, so there were probably 4-6 plants in a small room already, so that makes sense.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Remember that short glorious time when leaving a seed on the ground forced the plant to grow naturally there. Why yes I will take free oxygen and food forever.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Launched a buttload of rockets today ...

... and when the first 6 returned, I learned a valuable lesson: cargo bays can melt. :bang:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Literally only use obsidian cargo bays. What were all your rockets doing? Strip mining?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
On planting with pips:

1)As mentioned their search range is asymmetric. Plant left to right then top to bottom with regular plants, plant bottom to top with hanging plants like pincha pepper.
2)The "optimal" pattern is 3 plants adjacent to each other, 3 spaces, then 3 plants repeating PPPTTTPPPTTTPPP... where P is a tile with a plant in it and T is a unplanted tile
3)The "optimal" arbor tree pattern is TPTPTPTTPTPTPTT..., that is a group of 3 trees separated by one space with two spaces between groups. To ensure that every tree gets 5 branches you may have to build ladders between the trees and remove them after they mature.
4)Vertical spacing is important too, regular plants should be at most 1 plant every 5 vertical spaces(so planted tiles have 4 spaces between them), hanging plants every 6 vertical spaces.
5)You can create natural tiles without mods, shove voles, or cooking things into dirt. This one is a little strange and I don't know why it works, only that it does. If you have a space X you want to make a natural tile out build the following pattern:

(T= solid tile, X=desired natural tile - currently empty, _ =empty)
T_T
TXT
TTT

then build a mechanical airlock out of a sufficiently soft ore (not wolframite)

(D=mechanical airlock)
TDT
TDT
TTT

then deconstruct the door and for some reason(?), the door turns into a natural ore tile that can be planted in.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's a good use for an AETN if I'm a long way off supercoolant? I've spotted one in a sealed-off ice biome that I can maybe keep cool by using the vacuum airflow tile trick. I could cool polluted water for a main heatsink?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can use hydrogen gas in pipes to cool main areas where dupes congregate or maintain berry/sleetwheat farms. Industrial cooling using oil.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You can also just run electrolysis oxygen through radiant pipes in there. It’s easy to use an AETN, you definitely don’t need supercoolant or even temperature control tricks. A single layer of insulated ceramic or even something less than that would be good enough.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don't have ceramic yet and the ice biome is still perfectly sealed with abyssalite so I want to disturb it as little as possible. I'm assuming the ice will melt and I'll have better use for that water. Do I want to fill the room with hydrogen? If not I'm probably going to use sandbox mode to relocate all my polluted water to something just below my new SPOM / hydrogen generator setup.

I have Piped Output so the SPOM is much more power-positive.

Griz
May 21, 2001

it won't melt unless you're actively heating it, a lot (like refinery coolant level), for a long time. an airlock through the abyssalite layer will have basically no effect even if dupes are going in and out constantly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
One of my bases had a main route with a single airlock going through an ice biome for 1000 cycles and it didn't even begin to melt.

They will absolutely melt if you put storage there and the dupes drag in something very hot though.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My new strategy upon reaching an ice biome is to just swipe all of the wheezeworts as I can and then allow the ecosystem to slowly collapse due to my callous disruptions.

More games should allow you to do that.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
In other news, petroleum generators work great!

Too great. My base flooded with carbon dioxide.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Xanderkish posted:

In other news, petroleum generators work great!

Too great. My base flooded with carbon dioxide.

If it helps, a critter ranch of proliferating slicksters eats a LOT, I mean a LOT, of CO2. I've been generating massive volumes of useless ethanol just for the distillery CO2 byproduct, just to keep slicksters alive, just so there's something to eat my incidental CO2. Quite sure there's a more efficient approach than that. My problem with petroleum generators has always been the massive heat, but (thanks to this thread) I've recently started to understand how I can delete heat with a steam generator and heatsink fluid and it's radically changing my attitude towards heat.

Q) Does it matter who I send to space, in terms of research on the planet, or research points generated?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Remy Marathe posted:

If it helps, a critter ranch of proliferating slicksters eats a LOT, I mean a LOT, of CO2.

Not even my slicksters could eat all the CO2

Probably didn't help that I had three natural gas generators in the same room as well. And that my oxygen generators failed because my plumbing network became so convoluted water just stopped pumping into them.

My new runthrough now has dedicated maintenance shafts that gives me a lovely linked-list style of plumbing, like how I previously only did with power wires and transformers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Xanderkish posted:

Not even my slicksters could eat all the CO2

Probably didn't help that I had three natural gas generators in the same room as well. And that my oxygen generators failed because my plumbing network became so convoluted water just stopped pumping into them.

My new runthrough now has dedicated maintenance shafts that gives me a lovely linked-list style of plumbing, like how I previously only did with power wires and transformers.

For a long time I bothered with trapping carbon for slicksters but with the new maps and oil geysers being all over the map on many there's really very little reason to give a poo poo. On that note, you can run a closed loop for CO2 destruction that's simply a sieve and a handful of carbon skimmers. You add enough water that there is some backflow in the pipes leading to the skimmers but not much more, and it'll run in a closed loop forever just deleting CO2. Set it to a gas density sensor at like 1000g or element sensor and it'll only run when necessary.

Here's my power... tower :v: It's oriented so that gravity handles all the polluted water and CO2 at the bottom. The 6 skimmers are overkill at this point (I had to catch up to the 6kg/t overload at first, it was spilling out into the other parts of my base) but you can run up to 10 per sieve if necessary.

Here's the water loop (ignore the white pipe in the middle, that's part of slush geyser coolant loop)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 13, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Aethernet posted:

Literally only use obsidian cargo bays. What were all your rockets doing? Strip mining?

Yeah I sent them all to the same planet to try to mine it bare in one go.

Edit: which didn't work at all for some reason I don't understand. Something doesn't add up. I picked an untouched asteroid with 12 tons of material available to mine, and I sent 6 rockets with 2 cargo bays each. Looking at the starmap, it looks like I mined the whole place out. (Maximum mass 128000, minimum mass 127988, current mass 127988.5) But the rockets came back with their cargo bays less than half full. All the bays that didn't melt are only holding 464 kg of cargo. Am I missing something?

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 13, 2020

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Remy Marathe posted:

Q) Does it matter who I send to space, in terms of research on the planet, or research points generated?

Nope, research pods generate a fixed amount of data banks. It doesn't matter who the astronaut dup is.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Xanderkish posted:

My new strategy upon reaching an ice biome is to just swipe all of the wheezeworts as I can and then allow the ecosystem to slowly collapse due to my callous disruptions.

More games should allow you to do that.

Isn't that what everyone does? Take the wheezewort, I mean? Use it somewhere else.

That never causes my ice biomes to melt, though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just realized I've had the kiln unlocked forever and just built a big hot water tank out of igneous rock. How worth it is it to go back and re-do either the insulated tiles or pipes with ceramic?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

I just realized I've had the kiln unlocked forever and just built a big hot water tank out of igneous rock. How worth it is it to go back and re-do either the insulated tiles or pipes with ceramic?

It's not worth it; you only need insulated ceramic tiles for high heat or cold uses. Everything else you can use igneous or mafic.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

Insulated stuff is a 100 times less thermally conductive (e.g. Igneous Rock has thermal conductivity of 2, but 0.02 when built as an Insulated Tile), to the point that outside of extreme situations insulated igneous is totally fine as the construction material. Igneous rock is tied for the best conductivity and has the best SHC of all the base minerals which is why it should be your go-to for insulation. Granite is the opposite, it's your go-to for regular pipe where you do want thermal transfer. You only need Ceramic when you absolutely cannot have heat transfer, like when moving steam or magma or whatever else is super thermally sensitive.

On that note, regular granite pipe is only like 10% less effective than radiant pipe made out of any of the metal ores; you need to use refined metal/steel to see any big difference, and again that's only in areas where you need all the heat transfer to occur ASAP; regular granite pipe will accomplish it just fine but over a slightly longer run/timeframe.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 13, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My lox keeps evaporating in my insulated ceramic pipes 😭😭

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

My lox keeps evaporating in my insulated ceramic pipes 😭😭

Never let it sit still - keep it on a loop back into the cooling chamber, and it *should* break less.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Aethernet posted:

Never let it sit still - keep it on a loop back into the cooling chamber, and it *should* break less.

This. I use a ceramic insulated loop for my LOX, and it never breaks. If you're still getting breakage, check the O2 temperature as it leaves the cooling chamber. As long as it's toward the bottom end of the O2 temperature range, you should be good.

If you ever get enough materials to make insulated pipes out of insulation, that's when you can just leave your LOX or LH sitting in the pipes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Huh, I completely ignored farming after planting a tonne of mealwood and now I'm literally out of dirt.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Azuth0667 posted:

Huh, I completely ignored farming after planting a tonne of mealwood and now I'm literally out of dirt.

Hah. Everybody does this at least once.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I once jumped through a huge number of hoops to boil polluted water and gather the resulting dirt. That was a pain in the rear end and I screwed up by not checking the numbers before hand. Turns out it gives you a miniscule amount of dirt, so I don't recommend it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you managed to get some arbor seeds, ethanol production produces plenty of dirt. Hell I ended up spacing a bunch of ethanol to keep this going rather than dealing with the petrol generator's byproducts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to mod the Rime world to be even colder, is there an easy way to do that? I found an "absolute zero" mod on steam that makes any world -170 (just enough to not freeze oxygen so you can't easily make vacuum isolation), but it also does it to the starting biome which makes it impossible to survive.

e: basically, my last game was on volcanea with magma tubes and volcanoes, which i turned into a gigantic box of steam, and now i wanna go in the opposite extreme but rime is only ~-40 degrees :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 13, 2020

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I haven't been fortunate enough to get an arbor seed care package. I'm a hoarder though so I managed to last through a quick switch to mushrooms.

Hopefully I can get to space before I run out of my 100 tonnes of slime.

I want to strip mine this map are jet suits worth getting to do that?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 13, 2020

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

I want to strip mine this map are jet suits worth getting to do that?

Jet suits murder your FPS and you can achieve the same thing with ladders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Suits were much slower than just running around on ladders last time I played, too. They're nice QOL for something like building a bunch of rockets, but that's about it.