Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

... Unemployed next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Well the Niners hired Shanahan after the most embarrassing defeat in NFL history, and that appears to be working.

You realize that the “28” in “28-3” was because of Shanahan right?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

evilweasel posted:

tbf i am not convinced that taking the browns hc job is better than staying as the highest-paid OC around and the heir apparent if bill retires (not that you should expect that anytime soon) if he stops being able to interview for HC jobs

If you're McDaniels your next crack at HC is absolutely going to be your last. Would you really be willing to gamble it being cut short by an owner who's known for being a capricious idiot?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Adun posted:

You realize that the 28 points was all scored by the 3rd quarter and the final score in overtime was 34-28? Shanahan's pigheaded insistence on calling the worst 4th quarter ever caused his team to choke to the tune of 25 points?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Adun posted:

They got shut out in the 2nd half

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Q_res posted:

If you're McDaniels your next crack at HC is absolutely going to be your last. Would you really be willing to gamble it being cut short by an owner who's known for being a capricious idiot?

I mean, he WAS willing. He wanted it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Adun posted:

7 of that 28 was a pick 6

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SO loving glad they turned down McDaniels. Stefanski was probably my second choice behind Greg Roman, so I’ll take it.

I’m sure it’ll blow up spectacularly anyway, so let’s all enjoy the next 1-2 years of Browns disaster!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Q_res posted:

Why does Josh McDaniels deserve all these options? He already been a terrible HC.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, but we don't know why it fell through. Maybe he insisted on a long term contract, precisely to try to stave off Jimmy Haslam being Jimmy Haslam.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Maybe McDaniels is just the worst interview ever?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I like to imagine a team really wants him but in the interview he keeps giving awful ideas that make the owners really worried.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Maybe Haslam walked by a particularly clever hobo on the way to work?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Why does Josh McDaniels deserve all these options? He already been a terrible HC.

Hey I'm on the same page as you, I wouldn't even offer McDaniels an interview if I were running a team. But this is the NFL and he's a white coach with strong links to successful players and coaches. So that's just the way it is.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
This is pretty expected I guess. If it wasn't for the Haslams history, there'd be no reason to keep DePo and not take the guy he wanted last year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just don’t understand why anyone would even interview him after he left Indy high and dry. That was a colossal dick move.

e: sadly, this isn’t wrong:

Q_res posted:

But this is the NFL and he's a white coach with strong links to successful players and coaches. So that's just the way it is.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 12, 2020

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

corn on the cop posted:

the browns couldn't help but be excited by that 147-yard performance
The Niners defense is pretty drat good

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He spent a lot of time being back with the patriots rebuilding his stock. But ultimately it’s not about what he deserves it’s about what people will do, and Adam Gase got a second shot with a weaker resume.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

So why are people impressed with Andrew Berry? He's spent 2 years with the eagles after being the personnel guy for Sashi loving Brown.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

I sure hope Stefanski is on his way out. He seemed in way over his head. It never really seemed like there was a cohesive offensive strategy in play at any time this season. The goal line OT score vs saints was a great example - 2 yards to a walk-off victory - you would expect that every play caller in the league would have at least a handful of go-to plays for this scenario drafted up before the season even started. Stefanski: toss left, off-tackle left, corner fade left. That is just terrible. I could go on but, meh.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Q_res posted:

In that case the very last job you could possibly want is coaching the Patriots after Belichick retires

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

BASKETBALL MOTHERFUCKERS :master:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1216407928078585858?s=19

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They got shut out in the 2nd half

They didn't.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

He spent a lot of time being back with the patriots rebuilding his stock. But ultimately it’s not about what he deserves it’s about what people will do, and Adam Gase got a second shot with a weaker resume.

McDaniels also got his second shot but backed out at the 11th hour.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Well, at least Stefanski is a run first guy, and Chubb seems like the ideal zone blocking scheme back (really Chubb just seems like an ideal back period) so maybe it’s a good hire

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hopefully Kevin is smarter than his Dad at sports cause Ed is a known moron

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

It's a good hire for the Browns.

The 49ers have a really good defense and it's not the first time a team has come in and got absolutely shut out by them.

He should be knocked for a bad game against the 49ers, but also given credit for putting up 34 on the Saints.

Pairing Chubb with a zone blocking scheme and a heavy play action offense to make windows more open for Baker and to pair with his mobility is a good mix.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Niners crushing them didn’t really seem like a scheme thing, Vikes line got dominated at every single position and that’s a hard thing to x and o out of, especially with a largely immobile qb

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hopefully Kevin is smarter than his Dad at sports cause Ed is a known moron

Impossible to say how much of it may have been Zimmer's incorrigible conservatism, but the Vikings play calling does not really inspire a lot of optimism on that front

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Giving Gase another shot was a moronic move by a clueless moron owner.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

mcmagic posted:

clueless moron owner.
There’s not really a short supply of those

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Giving Gase another shot was a moronic move by a clueless moron owner.

reminder: McDaniels was hired by the colts (cokehead owner) before he backed out and was interviewing with the browns (makes first round picks based on advice from random hobos owner)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol gently caress McDaniels

He'll never be a head coach in the league again and I bet in a few years will be out of the league

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

reminder: McDaniels was hired by the colts (cokehead owner) before he backed out and was interviewing with the browns (makes first round picks based on advice from random hobos owner)

and the jets are owned by our UK ambassador who couldn't even get into the family cancer powder business

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
the mcdaniels got a free all expenses paid romantic getaway to ohio. the joke is once again on the cleveland browns.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Why are people making GBS threads on Stefanski? I'd like to think he did his part in fixing Cousins early in the season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cousins is really good except for the one teensy detail that he completely melts down under any pressure at all. The only 'fixing' you can do is having very good blockers or getting the ball out of his hand in 1.5 seconds or less. Everyone who's ever watched Cousins play for 2 drives knows this. Not saying Stefanski is an idiot, rather saying there's no way to really tell how smart or dumb he is because the Vikings offense is very straightforward, when their blockers successfully block they win and when they don't they lose.

Still a better hire than McDaniels though

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Niners defense was all-time great early in the season, but had a few key injuries which left it merely very solid by December. The major missing pieces were all back yesterday, and the whole team was playing on an extra week of rest. The Vikings’ playcalling seemed uninspired, but yeah, mostly I think they were just outclassed in talent and you shouldn’t take too much away from it.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Please enjoy this awful tweet from an ESPN Cleveland reporter who is well known as a joke.

https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/1216410015868780544?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If I had a Twitter I'd call him a stupid idiot moron