Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got cold called by a recruiter to fill a data center tech position for Amazon in Sterling, VA. Hands-on tech position, with 12 hour shifts. I have an MS and a BS in EE, along with my PE license, and 8 years experience in professional design.

He asked me what it would take to get me down there. Having worked in the DC region, and knowing what commuting around there is like and what rents are near that area, I gave an answer commensurate with what an accomplished working professional working for a FAANG makes in the DC suburbs, setting my standard north of a p dece 6 figgies.

His response: "I can get to $30 an hour."

I made more than that fresh out of school, and told him as much. I was agog. I straight up told him that I couldn't believe that any degreed electrical engineer other than straight out of school would take that offer, and he told me he'd placed several. I made sure he wasn't talking about electrical engineering tech degrees. Apparently Amazon wants people with strong theory backgrounds turning wrenches at their plants. For $30/hr, in one of the most expensive locations in the country.

Guess all that effort yelling STEM STEM STEM into the educational system is finally paying dividends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they were lying. it was a contractor job right

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I believe it was contract-to-potential-hire. I didn't care enough to ask in the moment, though if I had I'd probably have told him that my freelance rates are several multiples of that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

they were lying

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I once told a recruiter that I didn't trust him because he was a recruiter ("It's a great place to work, everyone says so") and he got really offended.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

do they really not know they’re on a par with estate agents as far as being full of poo poo goes

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Ferr posted:

The one I was supposed to do was mandated for all new hires by the VC firm that recently acquired the company. The recruiter described it as "50 questions in 15 minutes, rapid fire style to assess your critical thinking and comprehension." and it sounded 100% like digital phrenology.

PLI? We use that here and its worthless.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

do they really not know they’re on a par with estate agents as far as being full of poo poo goes

they know it, they won’t admit it to themselves or the world. they’d be much happier if they would though

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hey pros, looking for some advice:

after some average-to-garbage jobbing in webdev to complement my studies, I applied for a data analysis internship in a local big company. They sent me a test to do some exploration on a dead file dataset from one of their clients (everything properly anonymized, good sign), liked my report and code, and called me for an interview.

I really wanna get this one if only to get to a different sub-field, but as an internship it pays really well and has benefits, so yeah, I definitely could use those. I appreciate any sort of advice for an interview of the type, as I haven't dealt much with data science teams and what they like to see and such. A possible advantage of mine is that, according to colleagues that I have worked with and from uni, is that I know how to talk and present myself well enough, but I don't want to rely on that and you know, end up winging it.

whatever tips you deem useful and worthy to share, please do and thanks in advance :)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

data analysis is the field where you report the truth behind a metric or sales or what have you then get blamed for the bad performance.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

well it's been a few days and the recruiter who said they were about to hit me up to schedule the final interview still hasn't hit me up!

interviewing is garbage!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

government recruitment is always worse

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

me, managing the MySQL database for a shopify app:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tehres a whole lot of cs ms degrees out there that are just a bs with one extra year

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I got contacted by two different recruiters within 20 mins, so first I thought they both got the same contract. Turned out it was two different jobs, but I gave both of them the same message they all get:

"I'm not looking for a job, but if you have an interesting posting I'd like to know about it. Tell me the job description, who I would work with and who I would report to"

And most importantly the god-drat compensation. Not even a firm offer, just tell me the limit your client is willing to go to.

First one was very quick and gave me some bullshit spiel about it being a very unique job (it was building .NET applications and excel poo poo for some sales department) and that due to the uniqueness of this job he had not been given a range, but given my years of experience he could not imagine the pay would be an issue . But he was very interested in hearing what I was currently making.

Between refusing to tell me the compensation, and trying to bullshit me about .NET development being AN AMAZINGLY UNIQUE AND EXCITING OPPORTUNITY, I already knew I wasn't interested so I just told him what I currently make.

Got back to me really fast and really pissy:

"Well, if that is what you are making I suggest you just stay right here, because no-one is going to pay you the same because you have too few years of experience"

Yeah, why don't you get testy with me when I give you everything you want and you offer me gently caress all...

loving recruiters.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I think I got the rare good recruiter, she sent me a list of everything they're going to ask about on the technical.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

refleks posted:

First one was very quick and gave me some bullshit spiel about it being a very unique job (it was building .NET applications and excel poo poo for some sales department) and that due to the uniqueness of this job he had not been given a range, but given my years of experience he could not imagine the pay would be an issue . But he was very interested in hearing what I was currently making.

Between refusing to tell me the compensation, and trying to bullshit me about .NET development being AN AMAZINGLY UNIQUE AND EXCITING OPPORTUNITY, I already knew I wasn't interested so I just told him what I currently make.

"Well, if that is what you are making I suggest you just stay right here, because no-one is going to pay you the same because you have too few years of experience"

Yeah, why don't you get testy with me when I give you everything you want and you offer me gently caress all...

loving recruiters.

picturing a recruiter that’s actually the hiring manager wearing a mustache as disguise

ps: recruiters cold call when they’re desperate to fill a garbage position that none of their normal leads would take

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

refleks posted:

I got contacted by two different recruiters within 20 mins, so first I thought they both got the same contract. Turned out it was two different jobs, but I gave both of them the same message they all get:

"I'm not looking for a job, but if you have an interesting posting I'd like to know about it. Tell me the job description, who I would work with and who I would report to"

And most importantly the god-drat compensation. Not even a firm offer, just tell me the limit your client is willing to go to.

loving recruiters.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also on a whim i came up with a pretty good detraction regarding early figgy talk if they press it: i'm not too concerned that the offer will be competitive and think it's safe to move forwards. however if $company isn't they can tell me the range they had in mind just to be sure

that's shut that poo poo down twice in a row now. i like it

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

well it's been a few days and the recruiter who said they were about to hit me up to schedule the final interview still hasn't hit me up!

Just call them ?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Anyone serious enough will know the range and will tell you. Anything less they can gently caress off...

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blockade posted:

I think I got the rare good recruiter, she sent me a list of everything they're going to ask about on the technical.

it’s a real good sign

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

do not bother with masters degrees unless you plan on getting a phd or you plan on applying for jobs abroad

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qhat posted:

do not bother with masters degrees unless you plan on getting a phd or you plan on applying for jobs abroad

I thought that in the US it was typical to go straight from undergrad to a PhD program

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it is, but you get a masters on the way. a lot of people also use a terminal masters to get into a PhD program that's better than what they could've got into straight out of undergrad. in that case they end up with two masters

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

it is, but you get a masters on the way. a lot of people also use a terminal masters to get into a PhD program that's better than what they could've got into straight out of undergrad. in that case they end up with two masters

Good to know, I thought the masters along the way was a consolation prize if you left the program after 2+ years. Maybe that depends on the field

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Also the consolation prize, yeah

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's ok to get a terminal master's. imo it's better to do it thesis-based instead of coursework/"capstone"-based but this is prob kinda field-dependent.

if you're applying to PhD programs it's important to have a very clear idea of exactly which professors in which labs you would want to work with, and not everyone coming out of undergrad has that sort of certainty of direction re: their professional trajectory.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also important: have a look in the academics threads full of phds in humanities. ask them questions, learn from their decisions

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

been with this company 3 years.
after 1 year i got an 11% raise :toot:
after 2 years i got a 6.5% raise :toot:
after 3 years i got a promotion! ...with a 3.5% raise :what:

thanks for giving me a better job title to go make money somewhere else, i guess

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jesus WEP posted:

been with this company 3 years.
after 1 year i got an 11% raise :toot:
after 2 years i got a 6.5% raise :toot:
after 3 years i got a promotion! ...with a 3.5% raise :what:

thanks for giving me a better job title to go make money somewhere else, i guess
please consult thread title for your next step

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

sounds like you reached the top of your payband so you may genuinely be hitting the ceiling of what your company is willing to pay

in which case you can either accept that or find someone who can afford you

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

sounds like you reached the top of your payband so you may genuinely be hitting the ceiling of what your company is willing to pay

in which case you can either accept that or find someone who can afford you

The correct answer is always the latter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asleep Style posted:

Good to know, I thought the masters along the way was a consolation prize if you left the program after 2+ years. Maybe that depends on the field

usually it’s arranged so that the coursework is the same as for a masters and then your thesis proposal and preliminary exam count as the project/research a MS requires. then it’s just filling out the right paperwork in time to get the MS

that also means you can freely drop out during the ABD stage and still have the consolation prize

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
yeah the school’s procedures still usually make you qualify for a literal diploma

Ferr
Sep 27, 2002

Serious Business Orc
College Slice

cool sounds great

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ferr posted:

cool sounds great

COME WORK FOR US! DIVORCE YOUR SPOUSE, TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO GO gently caress THEMSELVES

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Blockade posted:

i got an onsite on friday and on wednesday ive got a phone call w recruiter to prep, which is a new experience for me

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Boiled Water posted:

also important: have a look in the academics threads full of phds in humanities. ask them questions, learn from their decisions

the lesson there seems to be a resounding "don't" which seems reasonable, since i can't imagine what the gently caress i'd realistically do with a doctorate in russian studies

are there any CS phds in yospos? doing networking research seems more fulfilling than telling devops people at random companies that we're not going to spontaneously rewrite HTTP because they disagree with with something the IETF decided decades ago, but idk what it's like to go back into academia after 10 years in industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

academia is awful in many of the same ways corporate is poo poo, the pay is just worse but you get to do neat things you might like 60 hours per week instead of writing fart apps in java or whatever