Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I fixed the fans and ran the Hitman 2 benchmark for about 20 minutes and the temps never went above 58 degrees.
At least the performance is great! It's much quieter than the old Gigabyte Gaming OC cooler under load, but it's still much much louder at idle thanks to the loud af pump and the poor fans. One of them makes weird humming sound at min power so I got to raise it a bit higher, it also hums at some other voltages that are in between the idle and load ones. Beh.

So what do I do now? I'll get the H55 replaced. Annoying as hell to swap the cooler again.

I need to figure out how to control the fans. Should I buy a good PWM fan and an adapter to plug it directly into GPU? What about the VRM fan on the Kraken G12? It seems pretty quiet, but I don't know if it should ramp up like the radiator fan. Also, it could be the one that makes that humming sound at certain voltages.
What is the advantage of using temperature sensor on the radiator and controlling the fans based on its temp instead of the GPU temp?

VelociBacon posted:

Or see if you can return and replace it from the retailer.

Yeah, I'll try that.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sininu posted:

I need to figure out how to control the fans. Should I buy a good PWM fan and an adapter to plug it directly into GPU? What about the VRM fan on the Kraken G12? It seems pretty quiet, but I don't know if it should ramp up like the radiator fan. Also, it could be the one that makes that humming sound at certain voltages.

Either get a gpu fan header adapter or use the motherboard headers and use Argus Monitor to run the fans off GPU temps.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

<chairs turning off monitors>

Thanks for this, I finally have an explanation for why my monitor turns off sometimes when I get out of my chair. People were starting to think I'm crazy!!!!!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

To those who have Corsair H55: what RPM is its pump reported to be running at? Mine's at a bit under 1500 maxed out, but I read some Corsair support person saying it's supposed to be 2200?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

slidebite posted:

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but thought I'd ask.

Is the current consensus that the 1080ti is still a fantastic card and the upgrade to the "current" top card (2080ti I assume?) not worth the difference between them for 3440x1440?

I posted about that exact scenario some weeks ago coincidentally.

With a 3080Ti nowhere in sight the next months my brother did not want to wait and made the jump from a 1080Ti oc to the Aorus Waterforce , which actually is a heavy oc‘ed 2080TI

His fps on 3440*1440 with a 5930K of @4,2 (5 years old) 1080Ti oc vs 2080Ti oc.
RDR2 ultra + manually maxed benchmark 35 to 62
Forza Horizon 4 : 75 to loving 108
Far Cry New Dawn Ultra : 75 to 102
Ghost Recon Wildlands Ultra 49 to 65
Division 2 Ultra from 60-70to 100-110

TLDR: The upgrade from a 1080Ti to a 2080TI (oc and watercooled) - depending on the game and engine - allowed 30% to 60% additional fps jump for him on 3440*1440 in his current system, sometimes even near twice the fps, which was unexpected tbh.

So the 2080TI offers Raytracing and a serious fps jump for 3440*1440 gaming where the 1080Ti (and Pascal cards in general ) begins to struggle, especially in DX12 games.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

isn't dvi signaling literally the same as hdmi/dp minus audio tho? add a couple pins for audio, bring back fat cables and connectors that don't break when someone breathes into it please. call it dp3.0 if you want just.. ugh

DVI actually can carry audio, I have a monitor I got 13 years ago and maybe 5 years ago I plugged it in and played something on YouTube and was surprised to hear sound coming from the monitor. I guess the monitor supported it for a long time but either the gpu driver never supported it, or I just didn’t select that output in the control panel.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
HDMI supports audio by specification, DVI doesn't but that doesn't mean you can't stuff audio through there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Specifically HDMI audio is multiplexed on the video pins that have direct counterparts on DVI, so it's easy to see how GPUs and monitor controllers might just treat DVI as if it were HDMI and have audio work even though it's not specified.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Just a heads up, Nvidia Profile Inspector lives again.

...well technically it was never really 'dead', but hadn't been updated since March of last year so it was missing all the new features (ultra low latency, sharpening etc) in recent driver releases. Back to avoiding the Nvidia CP for most of this stuff, thankfully.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Mr.PayDay posted:

With a 3080Ti nowhere in sight the next months my brother did not want to wait and made the jump from a 1080Ti oc to the Aorus Waterforce , which actually is a heavy oc‘ed 2080TI

TLDR: The upgrade from a 1080Ti to a 2080TI (oc and watercooled) - depending on the game and engine - allowed 30% to 60% additional fps jump for him on 3440*1440 in his current system, sometimes even near twice the fps, which was unexpected tbh.

So the 2080TI offers Raytracing and a serious fps jump for 3440*1440 gaming where the 1080Ti (and Pascal cards in general ) begins to struggle, especially in DX12 games.

If you have money to burn then go for it, sure, but I really don't see 30-60% improvement being very compelling for most people when you're spending $1150 or more to get it. Nobody's gonna say it isn't faster.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mr.PayDay posted:

Thanks for that. That's more than I expected. Tbh not sure if I'd notice it in day-day what I play, but I might. My next big game that I can see I'm going to jump big in to is MS Flight Sim 2020. I think I might hold tight a big more until we get some #s for performance on that. If the 2080ti stomps the 1080ti, I might do it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So I tried this after taking off the faulty H55...

In 15 minutes of Hitman 2 benchmark the temps reached up to 70 with the fans maxed, but it was nearly inaudible from where I sit. And I learned my GPU has coil whine, never got to hear it before due to loud stock cooler and this faulty H55. :v: Very quiet whine compared to my previous MSI 2060 though.

Would this be a viable strategy if I got couple PWM NF-A12x25's that have better static pressure and an adapter to plug them directly into the GPU?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 12, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sininu posted:

Would this be a viable strategy if I got couple PWM NF-A12x25's that have better static pressure and an adapter to plug them directly into the GPU?

A good one too.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sininu posted:

That's what I'm using right now except with an Arctic Accelero as the base and I didn't bother with a fan adapter.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I have another NF-A12x25 ordered for the H55 radiator so I will try that approach with those fans if the replacement AIO is also bad and kills my faith in those things.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Zip tying 120mm fans to GPU heatsink is really something of a tradition

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....Honestly, what is it going to take for a board partner to just go, "here, bare fin stack, mounting points for 120mms, you supply your own fans, go"

....if there was anyone I would expect to do it, it would be AsRock, but they seem to be disappointing me considerably lately.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....Honestly, what is it going to take for a board partner to just go, "here, bare fin stack, mounting points for 120mms, you supply your own fans, go"

....if there was anyone I would expect to do it, it would be AsRock, but they seem to be disappointing me considerably lately.

Lol dont tell anybody but i would pay more to have less in this instance

That would be so ideal. I could just supply my own cooling solution.

Bobby get my keys

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wasn't someone selling GPUs that were water cooled ready or something? This doesn't seem that far.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can get them, but they're a niche product for people who'll spend lots of money on computers. I don't know how big the market is for people who want to / will pay to DIY it that aren't looking to watercool.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yes, I would love this. Strap two A12x25 fans to it and I’d be a happy camper.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey so just to be clear on the new Nvidia frame limiter feature... is it good enough that GSync users should be using it globally? Or should I keep using the in-game limiters in games that include them?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, this is so stupid that I have to share it with you guys.

https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214163753639514112

Holy poo poo that explains why my monitor would blank for a second when I stood up from my old desk. I thought it was a static thing for a while and started to do weird stuff like grounding myself before standing up but it didn't make a difference.

Maybe some else could provide evidence that the weird mouse-look stutter I just started seeing in some games isn't in just in my head it would be appreciated.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Taima posted:

Hey so just to be clear on the new Nvidia frame limiter feature... is it good enough that GSync users should be using it globally? Or should I keep using the in-game limiters in games that include them?

You should use it globally, and for games with frame limiters google to find out if the frame limiter is good. If it is, create a game profile that disables it and use the in-game limiter. If you're too lazy to do that, using it globally is still dramatically better than leaving your framerate uncapped.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

K8.0 posted:

You should use it globally, and for games with frame limiters google to find out if the frame limiter is good. If it is, create a game profile that disables it and use the in-game limiter. If you're too lazy to do that, using it globally is still dramatically better than leaving your framerate uncapped.

You can stack your frame limiters by setting them to slightly different values. When I had a Radeon and a freesync monitor that maxed out at 75 hz, I set the global limit to 73. Then I set RTSS to 74. In-game limit would be set to 72. The in-game limiter tends to work perfectly, so the other two don't need to interfere. The global limit worked sometimes, but was unreliable, and some frames would get past it. Having RTSS waiting behind it worked in every game I was playing.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Zip tying 120mm fans to GPU heatsink is really something of a tradition

Hell yeah it is

Sininu posted:

It works great. There are a couple of minor problems that can come up: 1. now that the stock fans are gone, you can hear the vrms. Nothing you can really do about that. Problem 2 is that video cards don't really use the PWM spec properly and like to run the fans at the same RPM as the stock solution. That might actually be fine, and if it isn't, you can easily fix it with Afterburner.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Maxwell Adams posted:

You can stack your frame limiters by setting them to slightly different values. When I had a Radeon and a freesync monitor that maxed out at 75 hz, I set the global limit to 73. Then I set RTSS to 74. In-game limit would be set to 72. The in-game limiter tends to work perfectly, so the other two don't need to interfere. The global limit worked sometimes, but was unreliable, and some frames would get past it. Having RTSS waiting behind it worked in every game I was playing.

This is a really good idea and 2nd only to my strategy of using a GPU that can't get past my monitor's refresh rate.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

Most competitive games have their own limiters (League, Overwatch, and Dota 2 among the ones I’ve checked personally. Probably CSGO too) and that is fine.

My understanding is the Nvidia limiter is poor, but most non competitive games, your Control or Dark Souls and the like, input lag doesn’t matter. People play Sekiro on 30FPS on console, so just the increased visual feedback of higher FPS is gonna make up for the tiny ms difference in input.

There’s some games that are just really poorly made and don’t have a frame cap yet where timing does matter, and the Nvidia limiter is fine for those. Like some of the smaller F2P games I’ve seen are really lacking in advanced options.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tried installing the new version of Adrenalin 2020 on my Raven Ridge lappy. Still locks it up hardcore.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Drivers ms Daisy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ever since I found out that HP doesn't store their GPU bioses on the GPU, but on the laptop mainboard, along side the system bios (?!!?!?!?!), I am more liable to blame HP for all my woes, but god loving damnit, HP, give me a loving reason to keep using this piece of junk, because the actual design sure as gently caress ain't doing you any favors!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I love my wafer thin HP laptop that has its fans spin up whenever it ponders its own existence

Tbh I do not

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Statutory Ape posted:

I love my wafer thin HP laptop that has its fans spin up whenever it ponders its own existence

Tbh I do not

I wish. I wish to god, that more people out there would do the Asus Zephyrus thing, where the backside of the lid lifts the body up off the table. It is such a minor thing that leads to a VASTLY improved experience, but nobody but ASUS does it!

I'm gonna be completely honest, though, my next laptop some time in the next three years is going to be one that has kickstand, because touchscreens on wobbly laptop lids are crap, I like the way a Surface feels and is to use as a laptop and a tablet, and if the marketing materials for the ASUS ROG Mothership is to be believed, it's easier to cool things when it's standing up like that.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 13, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The sooner my laptops resemble an iPad pro in every way besides OS, the better

Thickness, size, weight, formfactor

Every time I hear bill gates quoted on that Android / phone / should have been us thing all I really think about is the fact that MS sat there while an entire formfactor went from non-existent to fully saturated and managed to do nothing but sit on the periphery with tablets.

My options for windows tablets shouldn't (effectively) have 3 price points of $100, whatever the go is, and "overpriced , and that's before you add the keyboard!"

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 13, 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
How does something like the Ipad Pro/Surface and the Zephyrus work while actually on your lap? They both seem made to work on desks only, well maybe not the Zephyrus but that just looks like it'd get painful after awhile.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

No idea, since that is a posture I adopt literally never

Ipad pro and kb case work well sitting on my bed tho

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i dont want a touchscreen laptop with janky keyboard+touchpad combo ever, but thats just me

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CFox posted:

How does something like the Ipad Pro/Surface and the Zephyrus work while actually on your lap? They both seem made to work on desks only, well maybe not the Zephyrus but that just looks like it'd get painful after awhile.

The Zephyrus is just a standard laptop, you use it the way you use any other laptop on your lap.

As for the Surface, I open up the kickstand and use it to.... hook? onto my crossed leg, ankle on knee. I just never not used the surface with uncrossed legs, and it was pretty secure that way, though a bit crooked, because my calves are huge compared to my ankles.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

my calves are thicc compared to my ankles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are any of the announced AMD APUs faster than what's in the current consoles? I guess they'll never have GDDR ram attached to them tho.