Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

My forest goblins keep expanding, and I'm starting to fear that basing might be more fun than painting.

It's a nice break from painting spiders.

Your bases are amazing. What are you using for your leaf litter and where do you get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wasn't it tea leaves or something?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

EvilHawk posted:

I have a really loving dumb painting question that I should probably already know the answer to but whatever.

Shade paints. When should I apply them? Over the past week or so I've done it both ways - the way the box/instructions seem to indicate they should be applied after the base coat and before the layer paints, but I've also tried doing it after I've layered and it does a good job of "weathering" paints...

Is there a right/wrong way or is it just whatever looks good to you?

Adding to what has already been said, you can also do stuff like undershading over the primer or watering them down to make glazes, etc. Depending on how much effort you feel like putting into a mini, you might even use all of the techniques together on the same piece.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Continuing the paint-shaking conversation for a second, anyone have any tips or recommendations about vortex mixers (or finding one that doesn’t cost an exorbitant amount)?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cooked Auto posted:

Wasn't it tea leaves or something?

Rooibos tea, to be exact.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Werix posted:

Looks good. I had a very fruitful xmas and was given the Tsons start collecting box, another box of rubrics, and a box of exalted sorcerers. If I buy a box of the scrab occult, I'll have more than enough for anything kill team.

My FLGS didn't have thousand sons blue, but I did get kantor blue, so I'll either use those or the army painter ultrimarine blue I have.

Go with the Kantor. The blue I used here is Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue (which is equivalent to Kantor Blue) with a wash of Druchii Violet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

I have a really loving dumb painting question that I should probably already know the answer to but whatever.

Shade paints. When should I apply them? Over the past week or so I've done it both ways - the way the box/instructions seem to indicate they should be applied after the base coat and before the layer paints, but I've also tried doing it after I've layered and it does a good job of "weathering" paints...

Is there a right/wrong way or is it just whatever looks good to you?

Basically you just have to keep in mind that a shade will effect all of the paint under it. While the effect is the strongest in the recesses, it will tint/dirty all the surfaces you apply it to. So if you want that effect on the entire area, shade last. If you only want it in the recesses you should basecoat, then shade, then clean up/highlight from there.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Endman posted:

This thread needs more :pcgaming: Battletech :pcgaming:

Look at this thing, it's a freakin emerald

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Another example of shading: I use a dark green shade (Athonian Camoshade) to blend the base layer (Death World Forest) and the highlight layer (Straken Green) on my Orruks. After that's done, I do a final highlight (very light, only on the very raised areas of the models) of an even brighter green (Nurgling Green). I tried doing the shade between the base and the highlight layer and I didn't like it. But it took me a few models before realizing this. And I think it might just be a matter of personal taste, too.

Another other example of shading, I think, is using something like Agrax Earthshade (a darkish brown shade) to make anything look dirty from natural environment. To make it look dirty from an engine sort of thing, just use a black shade (like Nuln Oil or Vallejo's Black Wash).

But then again I know nothing compared to some of the top-notch painters in this thread.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Did some painting this year.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm lazy and have been trying to find a decently priced lab surplus vortex mixer because I hate shaking paints.

there are some knockoffs on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gel-Nail-Polish-Paint-Shaker-Eyelash-Glue-Shaking-Machine-For-Tattoo-Pigment/174113576032

haven't bought but i've been keeping an eye on it

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

Your chippings really improved, especially like the effect you got on the fist.

e: those transfers are seamless too goddamn.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I need to rebuild a paint stirrer.

My method is one of the rubber stool/chair feet and a bolt run through it. Put the bolt into a cordless drill and spin those bottles at a few hundred rpm.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I've found time to get some paint on my brushes and knock out some stuff to use in my D&D campaigns

Here's some WIP pics of what i'm working on:

and an old PC Heroforge mini that i'd only started to paint before I changed characters due to dumb plot reasons.

The 4 Tabaxi and the Carnasaur i'm using mostly Contrast paints with and I love playing around with them, but I'm definitely learning their limits on these projects.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Are those WizKids models? I looked for D&D minis too but the few Nolzur ones I got, I wasn't impressed with. Between the thick primer and the mold lines, I didn't enjoy painting them much

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ilor posted:

Your bases are amazing. What are you using for your leaf litter and where do you get it?

Thanks! I'm using a 50:50 mix of rooibos red tea (the Celestial Seasonings vanilla) and cilantro leaves from the dollar store.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Booley posted:

I get so jealous whenever I see good clean yellows like this

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Ayn Marx posted:

Are those WizKids models? I looked for D&D minis too but the few Nolzur ones I got, I wasn't impressed with. Between the thick primer and the mold lines, I didn't enjoy painting them much

Yeah the Tabaxi are Nolzur's, the mold lines are pretty bad, but as i'm basically just batch painting them for tabletop I wasn't super concerned with getting rid of them, i've noticed that some of the fine details are a mess on the sculpts as well, but that's even more reason for me to be fast and loose with contrast paints.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

TotalHell posted:

I get so jealous whenever I see good clean yellows like this

I painted a model with a lot of yellow on it once. I realized that it's the devil's color and insanely frustrating to work with and I have since sworn to never again paint a model that includes yellow as a major part of the scheme. It's just the worst.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The big monsters in the Nolzur's line are great and have some really expressive sculpts, but anything smaller than, say, a Beholder is just a mess. Soft detail, crazy mold lines, and the thickest primer I've ever seen. You could probably strip them and reprime to coax some of the detail back out, but I could never be bothered. Shame because they're almost as cheap as Bones and have some stuff that's hard to find good minis for.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The big monsters in the Nolzur's line are great and have some really expressive sculpts, but anything smaller than, say, a Beholder is just a mess. Soft detail, crazy mold lines, and the thickest primer I've ever seen. You could probably strip them and reprime to coax some of the detail back out, but I could never be bothered. Shame because they're almost as cheap as Bones and have some stuff that's hard to find good minis for.

I don't know if you had a bad batch or what but that is the exact opposite of my experience with the smaller Nolzur's.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

nesbit37 posted:

I don't know if you had a bad batch or what but that is the exact opposite of my experience with the smaller Nolzur's.

It's possible, but I've handled a decent number of them and I've been really unimpressed with anything human-sized or smaller. It's not really fair to compare them to more expensive minis, but I just find that the biggest issue is a lack of texture - handles never have sculpted wood grain, hair is usually just kind of blobby without any defined strands, etc. I wanted to paint up a couple of Dwarves a while back and I honestly found Bones stuff to be sharper and more detailed than the Nozlur's.

That was like a year ago so they very well may have improved since then, though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Replaced my cheap brushes with some nicer ones. Can't believe the difference.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A friend experimented with stripping the D&D pre-primed but there really wasn't much detail under the primer.

The real problem is that they're truescale 25mm figures in a heroic 28mm market.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So besides reaper's stuff, and the DnD/Nolzur stuff, where's a good source for minis for rpgs?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Printing your own, or the millions of kickstarted boxed mini board games.
Dnd stuff isn't too bad and their boardgame boxes are a pretty good way to get a bunch of chaff enemies, but they get dwarfed by GW models.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Phi230 posted:

So besides reaper's stuff, and the DnD/Nolzur stuff, where's a good source for minis for rpgs?

for Player characters, Heroforge is always improving their tech and options for doing custom minis.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I completed a test model for my synthwave inspired Sisters of Battle - The Order of the Turbo Martyr. Really quickly made, I mostly wanted to see how the colors worked when down.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Fake James posted:

I completed a test model for my synthwave inspired Sisters of Battle - The Order of the Turbo Martyr. Really quickly made, I mostly wanted to see how the colors worked when down.

This is very cool! I love that a e s t h e t i c look on 40k models.

Does anyone know if there is a thunder hammer model in a pose like this?

Or any 28mm model in this in-air, contorted, over head, two handed slam? I couldn't find a good example of the pose I'm thinking of, but I'm looking to make a smashlord for my chaos army and I have something specific in mind.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Or any 28mm model in this in-air, contorted, over head, two handed slam? I couldn't find a good example of the pose I'm thinking of, but I'm looking to make a smashlord for my chaos army and I have something specific in mind.

its an axe but you might be able to make it work. might be some other stuff at hasslefree that works too.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I couldn't tell you where it's from now, but this is close, and could probably be angled up higher / hammer rotated?

I think there's an old metal model GW store exclusive that is somewhat similar, also.

Edit: Games Day space marine:

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 12, 2020

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

its an axe but you might be able to make it work. might be some other stuff at hasslefree that works too.

That is super close! That might work. Thanks!

Fyrbrand posted:

I couldn't tell you where it's from now, but this is close, and could probably be angled up higher / hammer rotated?

I think there's an old metal model GW store exclusive that is somewhat similar, also.

Edit: Games Day space marine:

That was my first thought, but the arms looked too short to clear the head. I might be able to edit it so the hands are right next to each other, pushing it up at a different angle, like he's chopping wood.

Holy poo poo. That. Chopping wood pose, only from a flying leap.

Basically I'm making a Chaos Lord with jump pack and thunder hammer, only the EC version. Instead of a hammer, it's a guitar.

:black101:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
More gribblies for the swarm:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Yes! This! Thank you.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

moths posted:

Thanks! I'm using a 50:50 mix of rooibos red tea (the Celestial Seasonings vanilla) and cilantro leaves from the dollar store.

It’s very good!!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

Awesome, thanks! The effect is really good.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fake James posted:

This looks great, it almost makes me want to dig out my Tron inspired Tau and give them another go...

My first painted minis of the year courtesy of the Oath thread:

Zark the Damned posted:

An ice mage and her sister acting as bodyguard.

A collection of strange treasures found in museums and jungle ruins. Claiming Get the Crystal as they'll most likely be used as treasure markers in Ghost Archipelago.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Haven’t painted in a few years, and decided to get a few dnd minis and a simple paint set. Here’s what I’ve got so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fake James posted:

I think a darker steel tone would blend in better and put more of the focus on your highlights going forward. Looks great tho