Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Harry can lie, too. Doesn't mean he doesn't have amnesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The game goes into the nature of the case of amnesia depending on a few things. One Thought actually brings up the idea that your mind is deliberately hiding things from you and only gradually disgorging information as necessary; Inland Empire, which is all about insights into things you shouldn't quite know, in particular tries to protect you from the things that you'd been desperately trying to forget. The ending implies this isn't even the first time this has happened to Harry, and one of his team has apparently been looking into psychological theories implying they're familiar with his mental state.

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
So just finished it and had a couple questions- Probably answered already but dont want too many spoilers for my second playthrough so am wary to pore through the thread.

I was amazingly pleasantly surprised with the appearance of the cryptid at the end- does the thing still show up even if you ignore lena and her husband?

So I finished neither Joyce nor Evrarts questlines in this playthrough. For my second run through, either of them particularly recommended or can you do both in a run?

But man, really enjoyed that game. Just superb and got a lot of genuine laughs from me. Kim is probably the best sidekick character Ive ever came across too.

LtK
Dec 6, 2011

The Universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience.

Billy_Delicious posted:

So I finished neither Joyce nor Evrarts questlines in this playthrough. For my second run through, either of them particularly recommended or can you do both in a run?

Mr. Evrart helps you find your gun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can you find more than a single bullet worth of ammo for it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can you find more than a single bullet worth of ammo for it?

I think you can find two.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yup, there are two.

Billy_Delicious posted:

You can do both. Also -

LtK posted:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Billy_Delicious posted:

I was amazingly pleasantly surprised with the appearance of the cryptid at the end- does the thing still show up even if you ignore lena and her husband?

It does show up, but if you didn't choose too be doused with pheromones earlier it just runs away immediately.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Did I lock myself out of talking to Joyce by mailing Evrart's letter? She's gone from her dock.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

TommyGun85 posted:

Did I lock myself out of talking to Joyce by mailing Evrart's letter? She's gone from her dock.
She moves to Lilianne's dock after a few days.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Joyce is always docking her middle-class boat in different working-class piers if you know what I mean.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I heard that

LtK posted:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Reveilled posted:

Hang on, what? Now I'm really curious if that's real or you remembering it wrong because I don't remember anything about the amnesia being made up.
It's true, its the option I took in that scene as well, because that was a revelation too good to pass up.

The game does it leave it vague if you're having Harry actually tell the truth or if its just a lie he's telling Kim due to all the self-loathing though.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Has anyone completed the long distance phone call?

Im assuming the lady that answers is your ex and she has re-married?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

Yeah. Feels real bad, man.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh god

I noped out of that conversation, I just couldn't

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Way I see it, turned out better than the alternatives. Just not evenly for everyone.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

An extra thing about that phone call is that it's one of the potential bonuses to the FELD mural white check.
But yes, it's exactly what you think it is. And it's not the first time you've made the call, and it won't be the last time she's willing to pick up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i genuinely thought i was just being a dick making prank calls, but going through with all of the calls was very rewarding. actually one thing about the phone call that's spoiled and also end game spoilers i found the initial phone call devastating, but the eventual conversation you have after the nap in the bunker made me realize that harry is just idealizing someone who probably wasn't very good to him. it's easy to assume that he hosed up his relationship and he very likely did, but it sounds like they were a bad match and she just would have made him unhappy. i think that making it ambiguous and in my opinion likely that harry is pining for something bad for him was a really great direction to take. is he not aware? has love made him blind? or is it his self destructive urges making him want to go back to something he knows is worse for him than all of his other self destructive behavior?

when you ask your partner about your ex wife it seems like he's just being a idck and a bit of a misogynist but it also kind of implies that maybe dora wasn't really great for harry and he just has her on the pedestal. your partner very distinctly does not like you and he still has your ex wife held in very low esteem. i don't know, i don't think this reading is that big of a stretch

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

rabidsquid posted:

your partner very distinctly does not like you and he still has your ex wife held in very low esteem. i don't know, i don't think this reading is that big of a stretch

Nah, Jean cares about Harry. And that's also why he is so angry both at Harry and the ex-wife. It devastates him to see his good friend, who he knows is a genuinely brilliant investigator, stuck in a self-destructive, alcoholic rut, and he partly blames the ex-wife for causing that to happen.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Utritum posted:

Nah, Jean cares about Harry. And that's also why he is so angry both at Harry and the ex-wife. It devastates him to see his good friend, who he knows is a genuinely brilliant investigator, stuck in a self-destructive, alcoholic rut, and he partly blames the ex-wife for causing that to happen.

its clear that he cares and is hurt by your behaviour especially you telling him to gently caress off because he's holding you back.

Are there any more things besides doing drugs that I should do when Kim is not around, so fair Ive:

Hit on the woman at the docks.

Talked to Joyce about the Pale.

Stole the boots from the corpse.

Stole the speed from Cuno and from Klassje.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Feature That Almost Sank Disco Elysium | Audio Logs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

TommyGun85 posted:

its clear that he cares and is hurt by your behaviour especially you telling him to gently caress off because he's holding you back.

Are there any more things besides doing drugs that I should do when Kim is not around, so fair Ive:

Hit on the woman at the docks.

Talked to Joyce about the Pale.

Stole the boots from the corpse.

Stole the speed from Cuno and from Klassje.

You can also do some of those with him around. :D

One thing that did catch me out is there's a few investigation things (like 'stepping closer') that don't work if Kim isn't with you and don't always SAY so.

EDIT:

Megazver posted:

Thanks for linking this!

Tylana fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 12, 2020

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

Worth noting that according to the RCM info provided both by Kim and Esprit-de-Corps, Vicquemaure has been promoted because of Harry (he is not yefreitor in his rank)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. Hopefully Jean is not a satellite officer or whatever the term was.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tylana posted:

Hmm. Hopefully Jean is not a satellite officer or whatever the term was.

he is

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

LtK posted:

Is there any way to compel him to do that without, in any way, shape or form, getting signatures?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Dick posted:

Is there any way to compel him to do that without, in any way, shape or form, getting signatures?
No, but you can sabotage his plans for that and Mr. Evrart will still help you find your gun.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I didn't actually get the gun loop in my game so I saw it on a video and I'm upset because it's legitimately one of the funniest moments in a game full of soid laffs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

LtK posted:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

I didn't actually get the gun loop in my game so I saw it on a video and I'm upset because it's legitimately one of the funniest moments in a game full of soid laffs

I didn't see it either - apparently you can only have it happen if Kim isn't with you (because he'll snap you out of it early).

Greaseman posted:

I'd say that the way RPGs are usually power fantasies extends to evil options, which convey that the player is 'powerful' or 'sexy'. What I love with how DE presents 'morality' is by stripping away the power fantasy aspect of it regardless of what you do.

'Good' Harry can't be Superman and neatly resolve everything, most of what he can do involves self-improvement or helping people in smaller, personal ways.

'Evil' Harry is a little man ranting about women and immigrants on Reddit.

'Neutral' Harry is mocked for not taking a stance, and it's usually pointed out that this is also a consequential choice.

I think one of the interesting things about "evil" Harry is that it's one of the more realistic depictions of fascism in media, in that it's not a megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur, it's just some bitter angry loser who would be easily swayed by a megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur. Fascist Harry isn't Hitler, he's the kind of person who would have listened to Hitler and gone "you know he makes some reasonable points".

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

It's true, its the option I took in that scene as well, because that was a revelation too good to pass up.

The game does it leave it vague if you're having Harry actually tell the truth or if its just a lie he's telling Kim due to all the self-loathing though.

I took it as Schrodinger's Amnesia.

TommyGun85 posted:

And that, mostly due to the ridiculously long number, I took as you dialing into one of the memories of the Pale, echoing a long-past conversation, as you'd probably done many times before.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Megazver posted:

"I want to do what Baldur's Gate 2 did for Baldur's Gate 1."

Yes. Yes!!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kurvitz throws so much shade and I love it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Re: Amnesia

I elected to go the "faking it the entire time" response because holy poo poo isn't that the most perfect thing for Harry? It's so horrifically bleak that he knew full well that every little bit of ignorance he fronted was utter bullshit but it's only in that bleakness that his efforts to rebuild himself despite knowing how hosed he was can stand up as being completely heroic. He pushed himself to be better while carrying his sins in the back of his head the entire time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Songbearer posted:

Re: Amnesia

I elected to go the "faking it the entire time" response because holy poo poo isn't that the most perfect thing for Harry? It's so horrifically bleak that he knew full well that every little bit of ignorance he fronted was utter bullshit but it's only in that bleakness that his efforts to rebuild himself despite knowing how hosed he was can stand up as being completely heroic. He pushed himself to be better while carrying his sins in the back of his head the entire time.

there's also a more pragmatic approach to the idea of faking amnesia to get people he talks to on a totally different footing, making them easier to manipulate. i don't think he was faking at any point but you could argue that would be a helpful tactic

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

imho it was just shock from the confrontation haywiring your circuits, mr psych consultant tells about his past "episodes" and how he was kinda intuitively figuring out how to do one final plunge and try a wipeout

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Megazver posted:

just started watching BUT I have to say already that their adjustments to consider ease of reading and interface are excellent and a huge pro

after reading someone in a review on youtube explaining how adjusting the screen to be more helpful to reading using a narrow field through margins, I kinda tested that on my kindle and welp they were absolutely right, it makes reading far more snappier and cohesive for someone like me

edit: holy gently caress I just realized Kurvitz is like a young Zizek but 2.0 (no, it isn't the accent, god drat it)

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 13, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Perhaps a hamster posted:

And that, mostly due to the ridiculously long number, I took as you dialing into one of the memories of the Pale, echoing a long-past conversation, as you'd probably done many times before.

that's not how it works. the pale recordings like the one in the doorbell are just voices played on loop. dora replies coherently to all of your questions. it's actually her

the number is long because harry's dialing the other side of the world, probably another isola entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

re: Amnesia

I think picking that option doesn't necessarily mean Harry is lying about his amnesia and actually has perfect recall - more that he's become aware/was always aware that the amnesia was something he/his brain was doing intentionally as a self defense mechanism as opposed to an accident of electrochemistry from binge drinking.

I didn't personally pick that option because even the implication of it felt wrong - Harry has been going around asking dipshit questions about "whats a real" and the like or having to ask basic questions of how to do his job without taking Morale hits for being horrifically embarrassed - which to me shows an inability to recall, whatever the cause, not just lying to put people offbalance.

But tomato, tomato - I'm guessing they put that in there so people could have some level of choice in what Harry's deal is, exactly.