Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody knew Iran could hit stuff with missiles. The reason they haven't now or before is that it'll turn into a huge disaster for everyone involved. IMO everyone ended up looking like idiots anyway. The US for the assassination and "so far so good" response, Iran for the minimal viable response and airliner. The moral of the story is that war is bad, mkay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Iranian revenge attack was the attack on Al-Assad airbase, which to liberal & conservative brainlets looks like a failure but is actually a strategic defeat for the United States. Iran demonstrated they have the ability to pop all of our most important assets on the ground within SRBM range of Iran's borders, and there's not much we can do to stop it. Now Iran can play the long game of marshaling their allies to throw the US out of the northern ME.

No it wasn't. Yashar Ali has a good thread.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1214712056781271040?s=21

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the 4th Rome is Belgrade

no it's sarajevo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

The Iraqi government went from allied to hostile, and the Mahdi Army is back and allied with Iran. Outside Iraq, Hezbollah has declared that its cold war with the US will go hot, and there'll be one of the traditional, spectacular Iranian revenge attacks coming down the pipeline in a few months or years. None of that is great for America.

that owns lol

:d2a:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Iranians accidently shooting down the plane is a tactical setback at best. Everyone paying attention knows that this is ultimately the US's fault and that Iran will be planning something big to embarrass Trump just in time for the election

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

mobby_6kl posted:

Everybody knew Iran could hit stuff with missiles. The reason they haven't now or before is that it'll turn into a huge disaster for everyone involved. IMO everyone ended up looking like idiots anyway. The US for the assassination and "so far so good" response, Iran for the minimal viable response and airliner. The moral of the story is that war is bad, mkay.

At worst, Iran looks somewhat weak. At best, the US looks unstable and untrustworthy. If you're an empire, your alliesdon't give a poo poo if you're evil as long as you provide them with stability and predictability. This is not good for the US.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Darth Walrus posted:

No it wasn't. Yashar Ali has a good thread.

this is all fair to point out, but I don't think the same kind of plausibly deniable revenge attacks against Israel apply to the United States - especially not when the US won't just accept that they got us back and escalate even further. Is Iran going to assassinate a US ambassador or a general? They've already declared that the blood price for Suleimani is throwing the US out of the region, and there's no shortage of targets to choose from.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cda posted:

At worst, Iran looks somewhat weak. At best, the US looks unstable and untrustworthy. If you're an empire, your alliesdon't give a poo poo if you're evil as long as you provide them with stability and predictability. This is not good for the US.

Right now, it looks like a clear win for Iran in that the strike on Soleimani made Iraq immediately more friendly towards Iran and hostile towards the US.

Iran's response, at least so far, didn't do anything. This can be viewed as either ineffectual, and thus a slight negative towards Iran, or a slight positive, in that it didn't piss off Iraq and stop the movement of Iraq away from the US and towards Iran.

No matter the perspective one takes on Iran's response, the whole thing is a net negative for the US and a net positive for Iran so far. It may be that this doesn't matter in the long run, Iran may bungle future responses, internal Iraqi politics may mean the US is no worse off, etc.

Countries do stupid things in foreign relations all the time, but it's almost always for understandable reasons (backed into a corner, helping domestically at the cost of international relations, etc.). This, on the other hand, has been an absolute head-scratcher from the start.

I still stand by this being the various neocon psychopaths who work for Trump making a last ditch play for war with Iran, realizing that it's now or never, but holy crap.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Right now, it looks like a clear win for Iran in that the strike on Soleimani made Iraq immediately more friendly towards Iran and hostile towards the US.

Iran's response, at least so far, didn't do anything. This can be viewed as either ineffectual, and thus a slight negative towards Iran, or a slight positive, in that it didn't piss off Iraq and stop the movement of Iraq away from the US and towards Iran.

No matter the perspective one takes on Iran's response, the whole thing is a net negative for the US and a net positive for Iran so far. It may be that this doesn't matter in the long run, Iran may bungle future responses, internal Iraqi politics may mean the US is no worse off, etc.

Countries do stupid things in foreign relations all the time, but it's almost always for understandable reasons (backed into a corner, helping domestically at the cost of international relations, etc.). This, on the other hand, has been an absolute head-scratcher from the start.

I still stand by this being the various neocon psychopaths who work for Trump making a last ditch play for war with Iran, realizing that it's now or never, but holy crap.

Yeah if anything the US behavior has poisoned the well
-Iraqi parliament voting to kick US troops out
-Per the Prime Minister the US killed Soleimani when he was in Iraq on official diplomatic business the Iraqi government authorized
-US threatens to freeze USD Fed oil revenue accounts if Iraqi didn't change the vote
-Trump threatens that Iraq will have pay billions of dollars for the service the US military provided to them over the last few years

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Iran may be the headliner but the real showdown is in Iraq over this troop expulsion which, regardless of anything else, is a huge win for Iran that this is even happening

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Bellingcat receives the MachiavelliSunTzuVonClausewitz award for haveing good brain

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think the admins would approve of that but it would be funny.

...I’ll ask

good way to wind up on an atlantic council sponsored kill list

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ross DaouThot posted:

Bellingcat receives the Gorka award for haveing good brain

ftfy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Could I ask why Brown Moses is viewed as badly as he is? I get the jist (that tweet quoted was loving awful) but otherwise I dont know why he is problematic?

(Genuine question, I really dont know)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Could I ask why Brown Moses is viewed as badly as he is? I get the jist (that tweet quoted was loving awful) but otherwise I dont know why he is problematic?

Mainly because he does lazy half rear end journalism and makes hay for western intervention into the middle east.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think the admins would approve of that but it would be funny.

...I’ll ask

We won't tell, we're not snitches.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

there is a weird set of internet fandoms around people doing reporting on Syria, and most of the most significant vitriol against BM comes from people who are fans of rival reporters. it is a bizarre little ecosystem.

that said, he's also a slimy little toad whose take the last time we were trying to cook up a war with Iran was to write an advertorial about how useful he could be to the powerful once the bombs started flying, so i'm disinclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
BM decided kiwi farms wasn't evil enough for his internet detectivery talents

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/bigneet69/status/1216166720295067649?s=20

based trump

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Bellingcat is raking in money by training journalists for major publications to do the same kind of "remote investigations" they've been doing, which is basically just making a lot of supposition based on picture and video evidence without necessarily having any formal training or education in weapons and forensics, or even a reporter on the ground who can see the evidence for themselves. So once they're done this fatally flawed method of journalizing conflict will become an industry standard.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bellingcat/BM do lazy-rear end "internet journalism" by looking at Twitter feeds and Facebook comments.

Also, regarding Soleimani:
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/03/04/pkg-holmes-soleimani-isis-in-iraq.cnn

That's funny...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bellingcat is raking in money by training journalists for major publications to do the same kind of "remote investigations" they've been doing, which is basically just making a lot of supposition based on picture and video evidence without necessarily having any formal training or education in weapons and forensics, or even a reporter on the ground who can see the evidence for themselves. So once they're done this fatally flawed method of journalizing conflict will become an industry standard.

Yeah without going into deep end conspiracy theories, if anything what he did was half rear end lazy journalism that has been discredited multiple times.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
didn't he change our thread title to "Watch Brown Moses start a loving war" at some point

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

e:f,b

Comrade Koba has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Jan 12, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

For some strange reason his “findings” mysteriously all turn out to line up exactly with the narratives of western regime change interventionists.

Check back a few pages in this very thread for more

Probably the WMD claim was the most obvious example of this especially after Bush used the same one weird trick to justify invading Iraq.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Bellingcat/BM do lazy-rear end "internet journalism" by looking at Twitter feeds and Facebook comments.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/03/04/pkg-holmes-soleimani-isis-in-iraq.cnn

That's funny...

His preferred method of geospatial analysis (speculating with google maps satellite images) was the same poo poo the tea party did with obama to prove that FEMA was opening death camps for whites and got them laughed out of the mainstream media:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So once they're done this fatally flawed method of journalizing conflict will become an industry standard.

I think this part is important and also extremely alarming.

BM’s going to stumble into a massive self-own some day and be forced to go back to work in women’s underwear quality assurance or whatever it was, but his methods are much more useful to spooks and ghouls than actual journalism because they’re cheap as gently caress and can be used to support whatever narrative you can dream up.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Specifically in c-spam he changed a thread title that was making fun of him, then changed it to reference him when he literally never posts here

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

hes a fat brit who works for the blob, everything else is secondary

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

making a big stink that assad broke the rules like a tool that wants america to war more?

the curse of the lion coming for you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He posts unqualified conjectures that sometimes turn out to be true, but more often are baseless guesses that serve to equivocate speculation with facts, to the benefit of the foreign policy hawks.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
zionist? no, i'm a lionist

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
signal boosting an ISIS recruiter, putting pressure on a peer review journal to not publish an article, not really wanting to talk about where he gets his funding, there's a lot of sketchy poo poo surrounding the guy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

I think this part is important and also extremely alarming.

BM’s going to stumble into a massive self-own some day and be forced to go back to work in women’s underwear quality assurance or whatever it was, but his methods are much more useful to spooks and ghouls than actual journalism because they’re cheap as gently caress and can be used to support whatever narrative you can dream up.

Judith Miller is now a fellow of the Manhatton Institute. Unless he actually ends up concluding that it certainly wasn't the Russians one of those times his meal ticket is secured.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

That's funny...

Someone post the video where he dramatically reveals Wikipedia as his source

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://twitter.com/toast_fam/status/1194970152099561474

note that the NED that brown moses says funds his work is alleged by the late anti-us imperialism ex-spook activist william blum as a funnel for CIA funding and has done so for decades

blum alleges there's an entire rainbow of cia-backed NGO funding mechanisms in his books

now just because you're funded by the NED doesn't mean you're funded by spooks. but it probably means you're funded by a spook controlled or infiltrated ngo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Little late to the Brown Moses hate, but the most vile thing about him by far is how he tries to cover his rear end by "both sides"ing conflicts and investigating the war crimes of the United States and its allies. Like when he said there was gonna be a bombshell report about the US bombing that mosque in Syria which went over in the media like a silent fart. Or when he covered his rear end on Yemen by saying he was part of an international organization trying to investigate US and Gulf coalition warcrimes, which has had about as much media penetration as a tiny gorilla dick trying to gently caress a volcano. Fast forward to January 8, 2020 and Trump is saying to a national audience that Iran has made Yemen "a Hell on Earth."

At no point does he ever put 2 and 2 together and face up to the fact that his only utility is creating justifications for western interventions, which he further covers up by creating an impression of Bellingcat's integrity through both sidesing conflicts. His operation is fueled by imperialist blood money, and he's training up an entire generation of western journalists to do the same exact kind of "remote investigations" he made his bank on. He's one of the most vile and corrosive influences on the western mediascape, and the fact he hasn't been perma'd yet is an indictment of the forums.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao how do you read "national endowment for democracy" and NOT have CIA sirens going off in your brain

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Jan 13, 2020

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah we need like a little copy+paste BM primer for whenever someone asks again why he sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hello we're from the national society for democratic advancement politics and we have a check for you!