Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Is the girl Ryan is chatting up also a hallucination you reckon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Guests aren't allowed.... in the linen closet....

SiKboy posted:

Is the girl Ryan is chatting up also a hallucination you reckon?

That was my first thought, yeah.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The inbetweeners/his dark materials crossover we didnt know we needed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So uhhh... are the trees meant to be there on this dead planet?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

There doesnt seem to be much of a through line in this story to be honest. Its a holiday camp where things arent what it seems, then there are monsters, then they are on an APC going into the wildlands, then they turn back, then they turn around again, then they go into tunnels to go back to the holiday camp, then there is family drama but one of the parties is a terrorist (who is very blase about killing a bunch of strangers considering shes only really trying to get back at her mum) and then you maniacs you blew it all up, its earth.

Its just a bunch of mostly unconnected ideas happening one after another.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh well that explains the trees I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Its just a bunch of mostly unconnected ideas happening one after another.

Yeah, a bunch of largely unconnected ideas barely stitched together, now with a "Oh also climate change!" message thrown in at the last second.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heres a sentence I never thought I'd say;

This episode is a waste of the annoying one out the inbetweeners.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Professor: Remember my wonderful students, show not tell.
Ed Hime: So how about I just have the Doctor declare that one of the random identical aliens is the alpha leader out of the blue?
Professor: ....:cripes:

Edit: Oh my God this episode is garbage.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 12, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Professor: Remember my wonderful students, show not tell.
Ed Hime: So how about I just have the Doctor declare that one of the random identical aliens is the alpha leader out of the blue?
Professor: ....:cripes:

Ed Hime: And also the resolution of the episode relies on the fact that the technobabble worm I made up can mutate the technobabble fuel I made up which sint strong enough to power the teleporter for some reason into a stronger fuel I also made up which can power the teleporter. I will not demonstrate this in any way, but instead have the doctor shout it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Ed Hime: And also the resolution of the episode relies on the fact that the technobabble worm I made up can mutate the technobabble fuel I made up which sint strong enough to power the teleporter for some reason into a stronger fuel I also made up which can power the teleporter. I will not demonstrate this in any way, but instead have the doctor shout it.

Also the mother who made a heroic out-of-character sacrifice will return to make... another, heroic out-of-character sacrifice....?

Edit: Also also were the dregs mindless savages who enjoyed toying with their victims, or sentient creatures capable of understanding speech and concepts? Also even though they were multi-generational evolutionary survivors of the collapse of the planet one of them had memories of everything that happened beforehand?

When the episode started my first thought was that the dregs were going to be misunderstood due to their appearance and actually trying to save people but nope they were just badly written and cheap looking monsters. Also there was this weird thing where the terrorist-girl spent the first half of the episode not being acknowledged or talked to by anybody but Ryan, making me think she was his viral hallucination.... but then halfway through suddenly they all start talking to her and she starts interacting with everybody before going full evil.... and then not. And then reconciling with her mother who did nothing to earn it whatsoever.

Yeah, this was a bad episode :smith:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 12, 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I called that Orphan 55 being Ravalox pretty early on. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo Ed Hime wrote It Takes You Away :psyduck:

That was the best episode last season and he followed it up with THIS!?! :psypop:

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

When Benni started talking I thought the big twist was that all of the Dregs where guests who got flash mutated by the environment and were a combination of begging for death and pissed as hell at Kane. Why was he alive and talking otherwise :confused:

This was not a good episode :(

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Also the mother who made a heroic out-of-character sacrifice will return to make... another, heroic out-of-character sacrifice....?

Which doesnt even save the daughter she showed some guilt about abandoning!

That was absolute trash. There was a promising set up (the holiday camp isnt what it seems!), and a few decent ideas (the virus that can move from machine to humans and back, aliens which could regenerate a doomed planet, the orphan planet concept in general) any ONE of which would make a decent premise for an episode, decent guest stars (Laura Fraser can act, the kid from His Dark Materials is fine for a child actor), but it felt like the writer put all his ideas for 6 episodes on index cards, threw them up in the air and arranged whatever fell face up into a random order, then shoved the worlds most heavy handed global warming message at the end. Nothing had room to breathe, and so for example when the kid gives his "Goodbye Doctor" at the end I was kind of going "Wait, did you guys bond at some point? When did you even interact with each other?"

That episode needed like 5 fewer things happening. Half of what happens was immediately cancelled out anyway (they drive away from the hotel, then walk back to the hotel. The kid runs away, then he comes back on his own. The doctor escapes the one who is apparently the leader, then locks herself in a room with him. Laura Fraser is dead, then she isnt, then she probably is again).

Apparently the writer previously did "it takes you away", that one from last season in the fjords which I dont remember hating, but this was so completely artless I'd believe it if you told be it was the first time the writer had attempted a narrative. All that was missing was an "all a dream" ending (which, I'm not going to lie, from the fact no-one else interacted with ryans love interest for half the episode, the truly bizarre "and the second thing, could you please shoot me", then killing that guy offscreen, then it turning out it was earth, and the general incoherence of the plot I was half expecting a "you've all be hallucinating the whole time!" ending)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Watched the episode, thought it was really clumsy, an ending in search of an episode, and then I jumped on twitter and the gammons are absolutely outraged about politics & lecturing in Dr Who, and now I'm hoping for many more episodes like it to follow.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo Ed Hime wrote It Takes You Away :psyduck:

That was the best episode last season and he followed it up with THIS!?! :psypop:

Talk about a sophomore slump.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I know Doctor Who lore can be messy at times, but wasn't the Earth being abandoned for a few centuries due to solar flares before being recolonized already a thing?

That was very by the numbers base-under-seige Doctor Who. Entertaining but not amazing.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Goddamn that was a bad episode of Doctor Who. Probably the worst of the Chibnall era so far. There were a few ideas that could have made for a decent episode - like when it turned into Metro 2033 for a couple of minutes - but it was just a total jumble of random events, plot twists, bad effects and characters I either didn't care about or actively disliked. At least the awful squirrel(?) woman died early.

One part I will say nice things about is that I'm liking the running narrative of the Doctor not telling companions things, and them noticing and getting pissy about it. It adds some texture to Thirteen's character and gives me some Seven vibes. I hope that goes somewhere.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 12, 2020

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah that was a mess.

In addition to everything else, I guess they blew their entire makeup budget on the "move slowly and go [raaaaaaaah] monsters, so had to finish off dog lady with a kids party dog face makeup and the Inbetweener with a can of green hairspray for his beard.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Mr Beens posted:

dog lady with a kids party dog face makeup and the Inbetweener with a can of green hairspray for his beard.

Is there anything more Doctor Who than that?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Voting Floater posted:

Probably the worst of the Chibnall era so far.

I didn't really like it very much either but - really? This and not Ghost Monument, The Tsuranaga Conundrum, Kerblam, The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos, Resolution or Spyfall pt.2?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

cargohills posted:

I didn't really like it very much either but - really? This and not Ghost Monument, The Tsuranaga Conundrum, Kerblam, The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos, Resolution or Spyfall pt.2?

You cant be serious. At least all of those told at least a vaguely coherent story. Ghost monument was pretty much fine (I'd never say it was great, but definitely not bad), Kerblam was actually shaping up to be pretty good until the wtf "Actually corporations are good" ending, so its at least 70% of a decent episode (If you allow the fact the ending suuuuuucks to colour the rest of the episode, I can understand it. I think of it as "good episode with terrible ending", rather than "this averages out as bad"). The battle of stuff I aint typing out was meh, but really only meh. Tim Shaw just wasnt enough of a presence for him returning to have any meaning, but it wasnt actively offensive. Resolution and Spyfall pt 2 I enjoyed as episodes.

This... This was a mess on every possible level. The writing was completely artless, things just happened one after another, plot points were just shouted at the viewer, the monster looked like a cheap knockoff of... something (its been bugging me since it aired, but I cant put my finger on what it reminded me of). Honestly, out of all the episodes mentioned, this was the only one where if they had just not bothered making it, taken the money spent on it and used it instead for the cast and crew Xmas night out, nothing of any value would have been lost.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SiKboy posted:

the monster looked like a cheap knockoff of... something (its been bugging me since it aired, but I cant put my finger on what it reminded me of).

It looked like a cheapo knockoff of that monster from the Scooby-Doo style runaround part of Love & Monsters.

SiKboy posted:

This... This was a mess on every possible level. The writing was completely artless, things just happened one after another, plot points were just shouted at the viewer

And the same isn't true of any of the other episodes I mentioned? Last week's resolution happened off screen. At least there were no sniperbots, or pro-Amazon messages, or the Doctor sending her oldest friend off to be imprisoned by the Nazis.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

SiKboy posted:

(its been bugging me since it aired, but I cant put my finger on what it reminded me of).

The Weevils from Torchwood

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

Watched the episode, thought it was really clumsy, an ending in search of an episode, and then I jumped on twitter and the gammons are absolutely outraged about politics & lecturing in Dr Who, and now I'm hoping for many more episodes like it to follow.

It's like how The Last Jedi is a lot better when you've got a glass full of virgin tears beside you when you watch it.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

TinTower posted:

I called that Orphan 55 being Ravalox pretty early on. :colbert:

It's funny that Chris Chinball's first appearance in the public eye was going on TV to complain about the poor writing on the Trial Of A Timelord season, and well, here we are with him as showrunner and we have an episode which entirely lifts the main twist from the first story of that same season.

I say "funny" but I'm honestly a bit depressed at the state of Dr Who now. What happened? I feel like I know now what people must've felt like watching Time And The Rani week by week, without the foreknowledge that the show was going to get dramatically better the following season.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Trial could've been saved if Robert Holmes didn't die halfway through.

That was the only thing that could've prevented the catharsis of spurious morality. :smith:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SiKboy posted:

the monster looked like a cheap knockoff of... something (its been bugging me since it aired, but I cant put my finger on what it reminded me of)

Head of it looks like from Creature of the Black lagoon.
Body and animations look like from Doom Hell Knights, including the roar it did.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 13, 2020

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Weevils from Torchwood

would've been a better episode if they'd been actual Weevils

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It was entertaining enough but definitely too much going on as folks have said.

A simplified plot would've made this a much stronger episode.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

well poo poo

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheKirbs posted:

When Benni started talking I thought the big twist was that all of the Dregs where guests who got flash mutated by the environment and were a combination of begging for death and pissed as hell at Kane. Why was he alive and talking otherwise :confused:

This was not a good episode :(

Yeah that part made zero sense. We either needed to see him wounded, turning into one of them or the dregs using his tracker and faking his voice as a hunting method (they were smart enough to lay traps after all )

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 13, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that part made zero sense. We either needed to see him wounded, turning into one of them or the dregs using his tracker and faking his voice as a hunting method (they were smart enough to lay traps after all )

That bit reminded me of the Alzabo from The Book of the New Sun but it wasn't that cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maelstache posted:

I say "funny" but I'm honestly a bit depressed at the state of Dr Who now. What happened?

Well last week's episode was pretty great, it's pretty ironic that the quality of the writing dropped on the first non-Chibnall episode (for all his pluses otherwise, Chibnall has always been at best reasonable as a writer of Who episodes), especially so since the guy who wrote this one wrote the absolute best episode of the previous season.

I'm just gonna chalk this week up to being one of those ones where for whatever reason things just didn't work, and hope that next week (which has a bonkers title) is better.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I had decided that after the past two episodes failed to improve on the formula at all that I was pretty much done with the Chibnall era, but people calling it the worst episode almost makes me want to watch it now, cause man is that some stiff competition.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This one was kinda overstuffed. Had the makings of a decent base-under-siege story but they just kept adding things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As soon as they got to the spa planet, I knew it was going to suck. It felt exactly like every other "show up at a utopic destination and then things suddenly go wrong because something nefarious is going on" episode. The only part I liked was when it turned into STALKER/Metro for a bit because that at least seemed interesting. Then you get to the "IT COULD HAPPEN HERE!" ending. Ugh. I was worried I was going to be the only one to hate it and be that goon that just shits on things, but I'm glad other people hated it as well. I'm worried that Doctor Who sucks now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, to be sure, NuWho has gone to the "resort planet and then everyone dies" well maybe just once too often. I probably would have overlooked that had the episode been well executed, but the story just fell apart.

Was this maybe supposed to be a two-parter at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It reminded me of the one with Bill and the smiling/skull robots but that one was so so much better executed in pretty much every way.

I could see it playing a bit better as a 2 parter but there's still way too much packed into this story and the ending was way too preachy. We needed more moments to flesh out the guest cast and the dregs to really make this story land.