Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I use a separate audio interface that fantom powers my studio mics so I don't have to be arsed with using the software button in whatever lovely conference software I'm using.
Added bonus I don't have to alt+tab back to the call I'm only half paying attention to in order to check to see if anyone just heard me fart in stereo.

So now I want to set up two mics and pan them hard L/R for a cool stereo effect. Maybe put one on the opposite side of the room for an subtle delay/reverb in one ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had a 3rd interview today. Very laid back, talking about what kind of projects they are working vs mine, vendor preference, scaling a network. Real nice change of pace compared to the normal trivia quizzes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Agrikk posted:

So now I want to set up two mics and pan them hard L/R for a cool stereo effect. Maybe put one on the opposite side of the room for an subtle delay/reverb in one ear.

https://www.pcb.com/sensors-for-test-measurement/acoustics/specialty-microphones/surface
I want to stick a couple of these to the seat of a leather chair, boost the poo poo out of the input gain, and just let rip; a deep broccoli fart.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

angry armadillo posted:

I have an interesting project approaching the point of the fun bit, you could say.
We are trying to get the people who do all the shifts onto a rostering system, away from their current manual spreadsheet system.

They are resistant on the basis that 'the current way doesn't make mistakes so we are taking it as criticism that youd want to change things, therefore we resist!'

I walked in yesterday and saw one of the guys googling VBA to try and reinvent the wheel, quite literally looking at an existing spreadsheet and attempting to make it his. (I assume)

If I tell their C-Level she has a risk that if this guy leaves and the next admin isn't interested in VBA, you have no support for whatever he is up to. They will carry on, but just hide things from me.

One of the issues with the rostering system is apparently the 'company way' doesn't work compared to 'their way' but no one can define the risks and deal with them properly. We are going to let them fill their boots on the test system so we can see if any of this is true or just unfounded rubbish.

It's going to be a messy month ahead. They always say they deliver their work so they can fall on their sword I guess.

If by rostering you mean a who is active on that project/job and if you guys have Microsoft Teams, there is a shift management platform baked in. We tried it and it's functional, nothing terribly fancy but it's workable.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.pcb.com/sensors-for-test-measurement/acoustics/specialty-microphones/surface
I want to stick a couple of these to the seat of a leather chair, boost the poo poo out of the input gain, and just let rip; a deep broccoli fart.

Well they ARE designed for air turbulence testing. How could you not?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A site remodeled their boardroom to support a new fancy video conference system, and during the planning, I provided Cisco’s room planning docs, along with general advice on how to set things up. We go to test the system, and find they had ignored almost all of the advice and now they aren’t happy. The room has 5’ high windows on the north and west sides, and they only put in light blocking shades on the west side. Even a semi bright day means anyone in the room have a strong bright light behind them, the camera compensates by making things dark to handle the light. They also bought a 85” TV for the wall, which is so huge that there isn’t room to mount a camera at the right height, so it’s about table height. Plus, the camera that was mounted in there is already damaged, if I had to guess it was plugged in while someone used a saw or power intensive tool on the same circuit.
We are already getting flack from senior mgmt about this like it was our idea. We provided advice, we were ignored and here we go. Just like the last site that did this.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I've spent the last 3 years in help desk two different jobs. I got my lucky break recently and I've been permanently moved over to the NOC. I can't get over how much better my life is. My boss is chill. There isn't really pressure. The main emphasis is to use any downtime for studying certs.

Help desk was endless pressure: Alerts, clients, SLAs, there was no tier 1 so I had to do everything. My favorite all time ticket was to move a cabinet out of an exec's office. I will go get a master's degree and teach or something vs ever going back to help desk.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We have 3 more open positions. You're welcome to try but don't say I didn't warn you.
I honestly think he will be a perfect fit. No ego, he is scared as poo poo of loving up, he won't get into an argument with the boss about why everything is hosed because he doesn't know everything is hosed.

The only thing that worries me is he seems to be way more interested in doing help desk than asking questions about the infrastructure...

I'm hoping he will settle in and get more comfortable and start doing big boy stuff because we need more people of any skill level and it's definitely a hell of a step up for him.

What state is your company in? This person may just like help desk. Some people do, they like to be busy and in the action. In the group I worked with I was the only one who aggressively wanted to be moved out of a help desk role. The others liked the action. :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DropsySufferer posted:

What state is your company in? This person may just like help desk. Some people do, they like to be busy and in the action. In the group I worked with I was the only one who aggressively wanted to be moved out of a help desk role. The others liked the action. :shrug:

VA. On our team "everyone does everything" so there will still be plenty of helpdesk for him, don't worry. But I can see his eyes gloss over when we start talking about servers/network/storage/telephony/basically anything that isn't <install printer> and I'm a touch worried for him.
He's openly admitted that he's, "not a fast learner" which is fine. The most frustrating thing is that he apparently needs a new prescription for his glasses so he can't see poo poo. It's so bad that he apparently has a hard time reading and can't even tell what time it is on a wrist watch. So anytime I try to actually
show him things, he can't really follow along.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

DropsySufferer posted:

I've spent the last 3 years in help desk two different jobs. I got my lucky break recently and I've been permanently moved over to the NOC. I can't get over how much better my life is. My boss is chill. There isn't really pressure. The main emphasis is to use any downtime for studying certs.

Help desk was endless pressure: Alerts, clients, SLAs, there was no tier 1 so I had to do everything. My favorite all time ticket was to move a cabinet out of an exec's office. I will go get a master's degree and teach or something vs ever going back to help desk.

Weird, your helpdesk is what the NOC is at my company. Helpdesk deals with clients, but not alerts or anything else.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PBS posted:

Weird, your helpdesk is what the NOC is at my company. Helpdesk deals with clients, but not alerts or anything else.

I think at our place the we have people that only triage incidents and alerts generated via automation and route them where they need to go (so like T0?). T1 NOC/Helpdesk handles calls and resolves any incident that can be resolved by following a specific script 100% of the time. Anything that requires some investigation and decision making goes to T2 NOC. The Buck Stops Here level of escalation is "T3" which are basically system/network engineers and SMEs. At least that's how it was explained to me.

I think there are some people who have overlapping roles, like T1s who have proven they can make solid decisions being allowed to work some of the simpler T2 stuff and some T2 people who assist T3 with investigating thorny and interesting problems.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What’s it called when you do everything and also work on multiple teams (asking for a friend)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Woof Blitzer posted:

What’s it called when you do everything and also work on multiple teams (asking for a friend)

Doormat

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Woof Blitzer posted:

product manager

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woof Blitzer posted:

Proactive Teamplayer.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Exhaustion?

Burnout?

YOTJ?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

Underpaid!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
How you guys get jobs where you have multiple bosses baffle me.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

I'm not a dog so I don't have a boss :smug:

But go work for a company with a matrix organisation, you will have more managers than teammates. Especially when your actual manager doesn't have your back when you tell someone who thinks they outrank you to go play in traffic.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

Here's something else, Sickening: I have eight different bosses right now. Eight! So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it.

On a side note: thanks everyone for the thoughts/advice on handling onboarding at the new job. People have returned back from vacation and things are slowly starting to pick up. There is still no structure to the onboarding/orientation but I have a laptop and access now, so I can keep myself busy.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Sickening posted:

I'm on a federal contract for my company and I don't think I have a boss at my location. I guess the client but they're just happy that I show up when I'm supposed to.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Here's something else, Sickening: I have eight different bosses right now. Eight! So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it.

Sounds like your real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing your job. But you know, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sickening posted:

I only report to one person, but it doesn't seem unusual to have other managers on projects you're working on. They can't exactly give you orders directly, but technically speaking they're above you on the org chart.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

NPR Journalizard posted:

Sounds like your real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing your job. But you know, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

This guys a straight-shooter with 'upper management' written all over him

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I only report to one person, but it doesn't seem unusual to have other managers on projects you're working on. They can't exactly give you orders directly, but technically speaking they're above you on the org chart.

Pretty much. My company has ops and development split out, though there is a lot of collaboration and cross-functional work. I report to the director of ops for all HR purposes, but have a strong dotted line to the head of development, too. I’m not formally accountable to him at all, but we meet regularly and it’s in my and my team’s best interests to keep him happy.

I can and have told him to pound sand from time to time, though, if he’s asking for something unreasonable. And my boss has my back on that which is great. Doesn’t come up too often though since we talk regularly and have a decent relationship.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Our CISO is currently going through a manic episode of pushing Azure (we are already giving AWS and GCP millions a month) I havent really looked too much into it but he's basically saying azure has "figured it out" and is way better than both of those cloud providers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

Our CISO is currently going through a manic episode of pushing Azure (we are already giving AWS and GCP millions a month) I havent really looked too much into it but he's basically saying azure has "figured it out" and is way better than both of those cloud providers.

I'd ask if this is the same Azure that had major customer-impacting outages.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sepist posted:

your ciso does not know how to cloud

though tbh if Azure keeps the JEDI contract it's not the worst idea in the world to stay leveraged with them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sepist posted:

If he can’t give you specifics then he is full of poo poo. I am a big fan of azure ad. I am a big fan of sql deployments through azure for my own purposes. There however is a lot of places it lags behind the other public clouds.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

If he can’t give you specifics then he is full of poo poo. I am a big fan of azure ad. I am a big fan of sql deployments through azure for my own purposes. There however is a lot of places it lags behind the other public clouds.

Like what? We currently use AWS for storage and Az for compute and AD stuff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Like what? We currently use AWS for storage and Az for compute and AD stuff.

I personally think that aws security toolset is less of a dumpster fire than azure in its implementation. You already mentioned storage and I would say that s3 is way less painful than azures. Lambda rules and I don’t know how I could use anything else imo. List goes on and on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not a terrible idea to be able to do your stuff in different clouds whether that is for resiliency reasons or to take advantage of features that exist in one but not the other, but constantly changing the flavour of the month reminds me of when everybody wanted to write their web app in Ruby on Rails just because it was the new thing.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I’m the “cloud-agnostic” chant with no investment to a PaaS or containerization strategy, forcing lowest-common-denominator implementations on full-fat VM hosts.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm in a stalemate. I keep finding ways to not attend a tedious meeting, and they keep finding ways to reschedule it. Agh!

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm in a stalemate. I keep finding ways to not attend a tedious meeting, and they keep finding ways to reschedule it. Agh!

This game of cat and mouse has existed for a long time.

You should accept the meeting, then have an emergency come up five minutes before. Send an email to start without you, you'll be on as soon as you are able, then show up three minutes before the meeting ends to announce that you need to drop for another call.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There's an old engineer (real engineer, like with machines) who showed me the secret of just not attending.

It absolutely works most of the time for anything that's not a legal compliance kind of thing. No one actually cares if you attend the time waste meeting or not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I decidedly don't want to attend the meeting in 15 minutes, but this one is different in that I have to be there because I'm the one who asked for the thing the meeting is about. It's just that I know dealing with the people I have to justify it to is going to be terrible.

Also, 5:30 meetings just suck.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

Also, 5:30 meetings just suck.

My work is pretty good about those. They try not to schedule them, but because we work over many time zones sometimes you have to. They are happy to let you go home early and set up there for the meeting, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

My work is pretty good about those. They try not to schedule them, but because we work over many time zones sometimes you have to. They are happy to let you go home early and set up there for the meeting, which is nice.

I don't have them too often either, but only because they hate when I bill them for it.