Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BeefThief posted:

Why did the emperor make multiple smokes and why was Smoke in charge of the first order?

The other Snokes were failed designs a la Alien Resurrection. Snoke proper looked all hosed up and disfigured so I guess Palpatine never perfected him, he just sent the best one he had (at the time of his death?) to take over the failsafe order. Basically a throwaway pet dark wizard who can hold the fort until Palpatine can suck someone’s soul out and return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

do i need to see the first two to understand this one?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

numberoneposter posted:

there IS no understanding this one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

Don’t worry about it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

Honestly, its harder to understand if you did.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

numberoneposter posted:

No. The only things that matter plot-wise are that Han and Luke died before this movie. Everything else is retconned, re-explained or tossed in the trash.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Barudak posted:

Pretty much. Going into it and knowing JJ's style of "story writing" I didn't spend 99% of the movie asking the screen "what happened to . . . ". People who watched this one and skipped the previous two probably had fewer questions.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I feel like I have a good understanding of the plot from the 2nd one simply from all the youtube backlash I've seen.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Everyone, the movie was bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

lol

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I hear if you copy all three Blu-ray’s to your hd it unlocks a secret TikTok link that shows reys hooha

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
If he snokes he pokes.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

numberoneposter posted:

I feel like I have a good understanding of the plot from the 2nd one simply from all the youtube backlash I've seen.

You don't need to watch the 2nd (8th) sequel movie if you're going to watch RoS - the only TLJ plot point they don't retcon or ignore is the fact that Luke is now dead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

skasion posted:

The other Snokes were failed designs a la Alien Resurrection. Snoke proper looked all hosed up and disfigured so I guess Palpatine never perfected him, he just sent the best one he had (at the time of his death?) to take over the failsafe order. Basically a throwaway pet dark wizard who can hold the fort until Palpatine can suck someone’s soul out and return.

You go to starwar with the Snoke you have not the one you wish you had

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

skasion posted:

But why would the first order follow random deformed guy who just appeared out of nowhere?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
lol why the gently caress does anyone actually try to debate the merits of anything in the "sequel trilogy"

a giant corporation bought the rights to star wars and hastily crapped out a bunch of lovely bland focus grouped design by committee turds made solely for the purpose of exploiting the prestige of the original trilogy, thats all there is to it imo, that by itself explains every plot hole and every stupid decision

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

jimmyjams posted:

lol why the gently caress does anyone actually try to debate the merits of anything in the "sequel trilogy"

a giant corporation bought the rights to star wars and hastily crapped out a bunch of lovely bland focus grouped design by committee turds made solely for the purpose of exploiting the prestige of the original trilogy, thats all there is to it imo, that by itself explains every plot hole and every stupid decision

Because doing so means those people will have to face that they wasted their lives obsessing over a fat man's story for children.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

But why would the first order follow random deformed guy who just appeared out of nowhere?

✅nice throne room
✅sounds evil
✅appears to have plan
✅magic lightning

Who wouldn’t serve this guy?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I mean their last guy didn't exactly have a lot of qualifications beyond looking creepy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

I mean their last guy didn't exactly have a lot of qualifications beyond looking creepy.

Multi-term senator turned chancellor, war hero who returned stability to the galaxy, personally survived multiple assassination attempts including one by a child-stealing cult whose leader he personally killed before wiping them out to the last man, and lays pipe like a plumber

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

Because doing so means those people will have to face that they wasted their lives obsessing over a fat man's story for children.

"Story for children" would imply it's understandable that they're not very good because they weren't intended to be.

The OT were actually good films though.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Barudak posted:

Multi-term senator turned chancellor, war hero who returned stability to the galaxy, personally survived multiple assassination attempts including one by a child-stealing cult whose leader he personally killed before wiping them out to the last man, and lays pipe like a plumber

A backwater (literally) hick who somehow bumbled his way into becoming the Fuhrer, and then got replaced by a creepy weirdo who wears capes and only whispers. It's almost like the child stealing cult has assassinated and replaced him with their own agent!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gianthogweed posted:

he has the force. he makes them do what he wants with his mind control

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
eh i'm not really feeling these disney star wars movies

they feel a bit forced

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's heavily implied Sheev made Anakin with the Force. He should have just made another one instead of a weird looking Snoke.

Maybe the process goes catawumpus when you don't have a womb to gestate your Force homunculus in? Were there no women in the loyalist legion that hid out on Lightning Moon who could have volunteered?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

if palpatine survived at the end of return of the jedi, why didn't he just keep running the empire?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BeefThief posted:

if palpatine survived at the end of return of the jedi, why didn't he just keep running the empire?

He didn’t survive, he’s dead. It says so right in the opening crawl

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There was a part in tRoS where Rey said “I’m just so tired” and I immediately chimed in with “of all these Star Wars” like pavlov’s dog.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's in the JJ cut, i'm sure

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

revwinnebago posted:

"Story for children" would imply it's understandable that they're not very good because they weren't intended to be.

The OT were actually good films though.

Stories for children are cool and good, but some people develop unhealthy obsessions with them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

A backwater (literally) hick who somehow bumbled his way into becoming the Fuhrer, and then got replaced by a creepy weirdo who wears capes and only whispers. It's almost like the child stealing cult has assassinated and replaced him with their own agent!

How dare you accuse a man wounded by them goddamn cowardly Jedi of being an agent, that man has given his all for this here galaxy <slaps the side of his speeder covered in imperial flag decals>.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its sort of funny how george was so salty about not winning best director at the 78 oscars for star wars that he went back and made his stupid special editions to poo poo on the people who did win oscars.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mozi posted:

eh i'm not really feeling these disney star wars movies

they feel a bit forced

they're all a bunch of hyperdrivel

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Burns posted:

Its sort of funny how george was so salty about not winning best director at the 78 oscars for star wars that he went back and made his stupid special editions to poo poo on the people who did win oscars.

My name is attached to the Perfect Blockbuster that enchanted a generation and became a cultural juggernaut.

Better wait 20 years and start defacing it with redundant scenes and CGI clutter!

NGL I was a teenager when they came out and we were starved for New Star Wars so we ate it up, but I'm not sure what I can add to the volumes that already exist about how criminal it is that the dude memory holed the classic version of Star Wars.

Lucas, testifying before congress about the practice of the Turner Broadcasting Company colorizing old black and white movies posted:

“People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians,” he said. “[And] if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.”

Lucas even took a thinly veiled shot at Turner directly, saying, "There is nothing to stop American films, records, books, and paintings from being sold to a foreign entity or an egocentric gangster who would change our cultural heritage to suit his personal taste."

Lucas also had a prescient warning about the growing dangers of digital effects that could completely alter the content of classic movies: “[More] advanced technology will be able to replace actors with ‘fresher faces,’ or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match.”

:ironicat:

Burns
May 10, 2008

That there we can call a hmbol.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

it all makes sense now

all the re-edits have been Gerogie showing us he was right all along

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Owlbear Camus posted:

IMaybe the process goes catawumpus when you don't have a womb to gestate your Force homunculus in? Were there no women in the loyalist legion that hid out on Lightning Moon who could have volunteered?

Title crawl.

EPISODE X

The process has gone CATAWUMPUS. Taxation on
trade routes has again blahblahblah....

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BeefThief posted:

He did the evil version of what Yoda and Obi Wan did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Moola posted:

it all makes sense now

all the re-edits have been Gerogie showing us he was right all along

He's the hero we all deserved.

Owlbear Camus posted:

NGL I was a teenager when they came out and we were starved for New Star Wars so we ate it up, but I'm not sure what I can add to the volumes that already exist about how criminal it is that the dude memory holed the classic version of Star Wars.

:ironicat:

There's always Harmy's Despecialized Editions.