Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the scales themselves aren't that important because they're just arbitrary sequences of notes based around certain chords (in his view)

the real point is the bit at the end about not memorizing licks but trying to connect those notes into melodic ideas

i'm not a big holdsworth fan nor too familiar with his stuff, but that popped up in the recommendations while i was watching a rick beato video about his approach to chords. afterward i looked up a few live videos and it's ridiculously straight-forward. he was doing literally what he outlined there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

don't think this got posted yet. enjoy learning something new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wts2Mw6Nb5s

Jus play the fuckin' notes, man. They're right there.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Stupid music idea: The department store in town is going out of business and selling off everything, including the fixtures. All the mannequins are currently marked for sale. I talked about this with a friend last night and we came up with the idea to maybe buy one and shove some motors in the the right arm so I can turn it into a stupid guitar stand that does this when I hang a guitar off it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

the scales themselves aren't that important because they're just arbitrary sequences of notes based around certain chords (in his view)

the real point is the bit at the end about not memorizing licks but trying to connect those notes into melodic ideas

i'm not a big holdsworth fan nor too familiar with his stuff, but that popped up in the recommendations while i was watching a rick beato video about his approach to chords. afterward i looked up a few live videos and it's ridiculously straight-forward. he was doing literally what he outlined there

Wait that's not what you're supposed to do? That's how I've approached guitar playing forever

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, there's a bunch of ways you can explain it. It's modal, it's voice leading, it's tasteful chromaticism, it's "learning all the theory and then throwing it out and just playing, man." It even go so far as to say it's justifying "mistakes" in advance.

What it makes me think of is people who don't know theory and end up coming up with theoretically complex stuff just by virtue of not knowing "the rules." It's also the difference between prescription and description. "I've decided these are the things that work for me" is less, I think, about theoretical mastery (although Holdsworth clearly had that) and more about gobs and gobs of experimental evidence, aka practice.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i know this has probably been covered in the thread before but i just loled at the 15% off guitar center coupon i got in my email that doesnt apply to 90% of what they sell.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wait that's not what you're supposed to do? That's how I've approached guitar playing forever

Playing guitar is basically like Free Bird, a never ending series of recycled licks lifted from white dudes playing the 12-bar blues

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's not like he had any melodic ideas. lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

sigher posted:

:eyepop:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Buy one dick hole get another one free.

(I actually like the dumb handle on my JEM.)
Take the bottom two and add one more in babyshit brown and you have the entire palette of '70s kitchen appliance colours covered.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thinking of getting a Calvin pissing on a Gibson logo for my Tele.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sigher posted:

:hmmyes:

former glory posted:

Thinking of getting a Calvin pissing on a Gibson logo for my Tele.

that's lame tgp or r/guitar territory

get calvin pissing on fender instead

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 13, 2020

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It'd be way funnier the other way around. Slap a Calvin pissing on Fender sticker on a 52 goldtop.

e:fb

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 13, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

What if the spaghetti fender F is the piss stream!?!

:classiclol:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

:hmmyes:
that's lame tgp or r/guitar territory

I was on tgp the other day. There was a thread about how Epiphone is updating their Les Paul headstock to look closer (but not quite identical) to the standard Gibson-style open book headstock.

Most people appreciated it except for a couple of peak tgp douches who were bitching about their expensive Les Pauls not being exclusive enough now that any unwashed pleb can get something that looks more like them, and that Epi players didn’t actually care about a better looking headstock, they just wanted the ~*~prestige~*~ of the Gibson name.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I actually prefer the Epi LP headstock. :shrug:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

rickiep00h posted:

I actually prefer the Epi LP headstock. :shrug:

It says "I didn't buy a Gibson". Only Gibson snobs think that's a bad thing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Stupid music idea: The department store in town is going out of business and selling off everything, including the fixtures. All the mannequins are currently marked for sale. I talked about this with a friend last night and we came up with the idea to maybe buy one and shove some motors in the the right arm so I can turn it into a stupid guitar stand that does this when I hang a guitar off it.

Pretend I actually posted the half mannequin (waist down, for showing off pants and leggings) that some one was selling as a keyboard stand with the keyboard on my local craigslist a few weeks ago.

You've been beaten to the punch with the idea.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

get the mannequins and wire them up, then get the guy from reverb in the members only jacket who does all the synth demos to recreate the herbie hancock rockit video

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So... James Brown, lead engineer who designed the Peavey 5150, has just been hired at Fender. Fender makes all the EVH stuff now, including the 5150 III amps, btw.

Word is that the current lead engineer who designed the 5150 III amps is retiring soon.

I wonder if there's going to be a 5150 IV in the works.

edit: not stupid music poo poo. James Brown is a great dude.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 13, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'd be curious what they could do to improve it, or if it's just going to be a slightly different voiced 5150iii with a big daddy 100w version and a lunchbox version.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apparently he sold off his pedal company and took the fender gig for the health insurance due to developing psoriatic arthritis

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'd be curious what they could do to improve it, or if it's just going to be a slightly different voiced 5150iii with a big daddy 100w version and a lunchbox version.

i'm willing to bet they'll keep the 5150 line as is and put out a different amp altogether based on that butt ugly one he'd been demoing at namm the past couple years

even better they stick the peavey transtube circuit in their lovely practice amps or bring back the mh500

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 13, 2020

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Pretend I actually posted the half mannequin (waist down, for showing off pants and leggings) that some one was selling as a keyboard stand with the keyboard on my local craigslist a few weeks ago.

You've been beaten to the punch with the idea.

Yeah I figured it had probably been done. But I still like the idea of giving it a robot arm with a motion sensor on it does the bill and ted future universe greeting when I go near it. :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wow that's huge. Amptweaker was cool but he belongs designing ripping amp circuits imo.

i'm willing to bet they'll keep the 5150 line as is and put out a different amp altogether based on that butt ugly one he'd been demoing at namm the past couple years

Yea I agree with this. If they give him carte blanche I can't imagine it will be a stinker, though.

edit: anyone have a link to the story?

edit2:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 13, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, good for the guy. Feel good music story that ain't stupid or poo poo. :)

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
While we're talking amp news, my friend has just left the amp company I work for to start his own venture. They're debuting properly at NAMM next weekend but you can hear them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1V10DYxEA0

I've played the protos in person and they're properly tits-off amazing. Some incredible design and detail work gone into the whole range so hopefully he'll do as well as he deserves!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea I agree with this. If they give him carte blanche I can't imagine it will be a stinker, though.

not that it really matters but i hope whatever it is is put out as a fender proper and not shunted off to the evh line

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

not that it really matters but i hope whatever it is is put out as a fender proper and not shunted off to the evh line

I don't know, there are few things in the world of guitar that make me want to throw the horns up less than an amp that looks like this:

I'm glad they rebranded the 5150 line to something other than Fender.
I'm not sure "EVH" was the best choice but it beats the classic Fender aesthetic at least.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Did Fender even have a 5150 line before Eddie got in touch with them to do his line of gear? "5150" is Eddie's trademark, it's why Peavey had to rename their amp in the first place.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

Did Fender even have a 5150 line before Eddie got in touch with them to do his line of gear? "5150" is Eddie's trademark, it's why Peavey had to rename their amp in the first place.
Nope, the white EVH 5150 III were the first such amps Fender made. That was back in... '08, iirc? I remember I started seeing all these metalcore guys switching from the old Peavey 5150's and 6505's to the Fender-made EVH's.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Yeah I figured it had probably been done. But I still like the idea of giving it a robot arm with a motion sensor on it does the bill and ted future universe greeting when I go near it. :v:

Not saying it was a bad idea, it's more creative than that listing and oh hey look it's still up:

Re-reading the description they definitely are desperate to just sell the mannequin legs, because they didn't think it through and actually attach the keyboard to them. As usual there are no other real affronts to music humanity on my local craigslist unless you count these cigar box guitars, but I have no clue what makes one of these good or not (and neither does the seller). I guess I should be thankful the site is full of normal music poo poo in my area?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

darkwasthenight posted:

While we're talking amp news, my friend has just left the amp company I work for to start his own venture. They're debuting properly at NAMM next weekend but you can hear them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1V10DYxEA0

I've played the protos in person and they're properly tits-off amazing. Some incredible design and detail work gone into the whole range so hopefully he'll do as well as he deserves!

Holy gently caress this sounds really god drat good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
i hate it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yo I totally posted that name in the New User Names thread in GBS like a few weeks ago. I wonder if they got the idea there or if there's just someone else out there on the same wavelength.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ever played through a Big Muff but felt like it needed that one specific little tweak to really nail your tone?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Lol that's a pedalpcb kit, naughty naughty Wren and Cuff

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

And it's basically a more sperg version of the JHS Muffaletta.

So I've been studying how to wind pickups and I came across that you can wind pickups with silver wire instead of copper for a different, and much more expensive sound. Which had me on the hunt for a pickup set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CRGGTLycUM

I know we've talked about this before but these Duncan Zephyrs cost $1000 for a set. I'm starting to think maybe silver wire "small batch" blues lawyer pickups might be a profitable niche.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

And it's basically a more sperg version of the JHS Muffaletta.

So I've been studying how to wind pickups and I came across that you can wind pickups with silver wire instead of copper for a different, and much more expensive sound. Which had me on the hunt for a pickup set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CRGGTLycUM

I know we've talked about this before but these Duncan Zephyrs cost $1000 for a set. I'm starting to think maybe silver wire "small batch" blues lawyer pickups might be a profitable niche.

If you can get cheap silver, sure.