Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Not yet. Soon I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Please keep us updated!

Also, just a suggestion, but if you get into colloidal silver too then you could be the first green person??

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anne Whateley posted:

I almost always just drink water too, but you don't go straight from that diet to 100% virtuous. Crystal Lightstyle packs or flavor drops would be a good next step to wean off the soda. Splenda, stevia, etc. are also fine in coffee, or if it really is just for the caffeine, a pill would work. But the takeout is a bigger deal than a couple tsp of sugar in coffee.

I loving love Mio and the store brand flavor drops, they keep me hella hydrated.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Late to the chat, but the reason sugar in fruit isn't nearly as bad as sugar loaded into drinks/pre-prep foods, etc is because if you're eating whole fruit, you're generally eating a ton of fiber. That's why if you want the benefits of orange juice, eat the whole orange - you'll get all the vitamins, and the fiber will offset most of the sugar that the orange contained. If you're drinking the juice, it's just going to be a straight sugar liquid like a soft drink. (You can make smoothies with whole fruit as well and get the same benefits, as long as you're using water, or almond milk, or something other non-sweetened liquid.)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Back when the ex and I got married, we met this lady whose daughter he'd tutored in his dink rear end small town he grew up in. She was this short little Indian lady with the energy of a thousand people. She ran her own daycare, flew across the country to train other people in starting their daycares, and in general loved to travel. Any time she was in town, she'd call me and the ex up, and offer to buy dinner.

It was on one such trip when I said, "Hey, why don't you just come over? I just did a massive grocery run, and I've got plenty of food."

She agreed, and caught a cab uptown to our apartment. Our fourth floor walkup apartment. She was 60 something at the time. She managed it though, and was settled in, when I rolled out the onion samosa and potato bajji. I also had made a pot of piping hot masala chai with a ton of ginger. We started eating and chatting (and drinking the tea), and she got this wistful look on her face. When she was a little girl in Bombay, her aunt would make samosas and masala chai on rainy days, and everyone would sit around and have a nice day in. This too was a rainy day, and we had the windows flung open so that you could smell how lovely it is.

She hadn't been back to India in decades, and it looked like I gave her a little slice of home. Ever since then, whenever we'd go visit her, she was happy to have me cook, or to go out, as my mood dictated (spoiler: I usually wanted to cook). She flew out with her daughter to help us cook for our wedding when equality passed in New York. She bought the wine for the 50 people who showed up. She flew us out to the ex's home town for her daughter's wedding later that year.

She was like an aunt to me, and made it a point to keep in touch, even after the break up. Yesterday, her daughter posted that she died after a pretty nasty bout with heart issues and going into a coma. She'd just gotten back from a trip to India, where she visited her extended family (and presumably consumed many cups of masala chai with hot samosa, while listening to the rain fall outside). I'm going to miss her, and I'm glad we got to know her however briefly. Going to make a pot of masala chai, and potato bajji, and toast to her next journey, whatever that may look like.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She sounds like a lovely aunt, dino. I miss her already as well, thank you for that lovely story. Y'got me tearing up a little. :3:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

she sounded like a lovely lady and excellent company. may you have nothing but fond memories, dino

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
which of you motherfuckers is cutting onions

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Coasterphreak posted:

which of you motherfuckers is cutting onions

It's this guy, in his best video yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhSopdCZz8

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I made some shrimp, pork and cabbage pan-fried dumplings for dinner today, served with rice and stir fried swiss-chard I got from the farmers market (and a little cabbage thrown in because i hadn't bought enough swiss chard)

I was complimented quite a bit but it was my first time forming dumplings and the crimping job showed. I also probably could have seasoned the filling a little more strongly but it still made for some p tasty comfort-food-like stuff! Next time I will attempt a filling that is acceptable to my vegan younger sister.

therattle posted:

Peas are by far the best frozen vegetable. Petit pois especially.

Fuchsia Dunlop has a recipe in Every Grain of Rice which is hardly a recipe at all - stir fry some peas, frozen or unfrozen, with dried chilis and sichuan peppercorns and salt, and fuckin' eat it - but it's maybe my favorite way to eat defrosted peas.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
incidentally in my earnest opinion every cookbook recipe should end with the words "and then just fuckin' eat it"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Something about the way that guy's lower lip moves while he speaks bothers me immensely, am I the only one

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Have you tried crushing and snorting the pills

You can't do that anymore, they're full of these weird plastic beads now

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AnonSpore posted:

Something about the way that guy's lower lip moves while he speaks bothers me immensely, am I the only one

That's called nerve damage

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dino. posted:

She managed it though, and was settled in, when I rolled out the onion samosa

That is a very heartwarming story :3: but also i would like to know more about this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Weltlich posted:

Late to the chat, but the reason sugar in fruit isn't nearly as bad as sugar loaded into drinks/pre-prep foods, etc is because if you're eating whole fruit, you're generally eating a ton of fiber. That's why if you want the benefits of orange juice, eat the whole orange - you'll get all the vitamins, and the fiber will offset most of the sugar that the orange contained. If you're drinking the juice, it's just going to be a straight sugar liquid like a soft drink. (You can make smoothies with whole fruit as well and get the same benefits, as long as you're using water, or almond milk, or something other non-sweetened liquid.)

This is right on.

Also Pollyanna if you want to work in more veggies then cooking a bunch of Indian dishes is an awesome way to go about it coming from someone who never ate enough vegetables in the past.

I didn't "like" vegetables because I grew up with poorly cooked ones. Making some super delicious vegetable-only / vegetable heavy dishes got me into it better and now my diet is vegetarian about 4-5 days of the week.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dino I'm sorry to hear about your friend, she sounds like a lovely lady.

In other news, hi GWS, it's been a minute. I missed you.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I didn’t believe the mason jar salad Pinterest fad until I tried it and now I’m a true believer. Salads last the whole week, are super fresh even on Friday, and taste delish. This week I’m doing feta, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and spinach. Filling it out with some beans and other veggies. Takes me an hour or two on Sundays and then I’m done for the week.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello Wrought friend, you did the small ship cooking for rich yuppies, right? Welcome back, you were missed.

I'm single, as of about 3 years ago, moved out on my own, and also am girl. Speaking of which holy heck I've been on hormones almost 9 months now. It's almost been a year what the gently caress.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hello Wrought friend, you did the small ship cooking for rich yuppies, right? Welcome back, you were missed.

I'm single, as of about 3 years ago, moved out on my own, and also am girl. Speaking of which holy heck I've been on hormones almost 9 months now. It's almost been a year what the gently caress.

Yes, I was the boat cook.

Congrats! 9 months is huge.

I'm recently widowed, which sucks. I miss Mr. W terribly. I also just had gastric sleeve surgery which is changing my relationship with food. I'm eating better, just tiny. Meal prepping is a challenge without having a big freezer. Looking forward to getting caught up with everyone.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha, loving tell me about lack of freezer space. I have one of those top/bottom freezer/fridge situations and it kinda sucks how tiny it is. I'm sorry to hear about you being single, I hope it's not because he passed or anything terrible. I've been working on eating better as well. Problem being snacking. :v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm recently widowed, which sucks. I miss Mr. W terribly. I also just had gastric sleeve surgery which is changing my relationship with food. I'm eating better, just tiny. Meal prepping is a challenge without having a big freezer. Looking forward to getting caught up with everyone.

Condolences. That seems terribly sad.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm sorry to hear about you being single, I hope it's not because he passed or anything

Widow doesn't mean "single," comrade

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
... Right I'm dumb as hell. Tbf I was waking up and lack of sleep.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hawkperson posted:

I didn’t believe the mason jar salad Pinterest fad until I tried it and now I’m a true believer. Salads last the whole week, are super fresh even on Friday, and taste delish. This week I’m doing feta, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and spinach. Filling it out with some beans and other veggies. Takes me an hour or two on Sundays and then I’m done for the week.

mason jars are good. if you dont use em, go to your local hardware store and buy a dozen wide-mouth quarts. they're the best there is for dry or fridge storage. I've been using them for over a decade and got to watch as I went from being a weirdo, to a hipster, to a basic bitch for using them and idc because they work great and aren't terribly expensive.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I still prefer delitainers for pretty much everything a quart or smaller. Mostly because if it breaks or if it got lost in the back of the fridge for 7 months I don't have to deal with it. It just goes in the trash.

Also they stack well. Mason jars take up hella room.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

mason jars are good. if you dont use em, go to your local hardware store and buy a dozen wide-mouth quarts. they're the best there is for dry or fridge storage. I've been using them for over a decade and got to watch as I went from being a weirdo, to a hipster, to a basic bitch for using them and idc because they work great and aren't terribly expensive.

And then get the wide mouth silicone pickling airlocks and start making pickles all the time, because it's super easy and cleaning a wide mouth jar is the easiest thing ever and pickles are amazing.

...I may have a pickling obsession. My family has noticed - for Christmas I got three books on pickling, a new fermenting crock (I already had two), and a vinegar-making guide. Maybe I should make a thread or something.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo, gimme the pickle. I'm not even in Spiro and I'll smash on pickles. (There's a joke about trans women and pickles, because Spiro makes you crave salt.)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

I've been working on eating better as well. Problem being snacking. :v:

Same. I’m hoping if I transition to difficult-to-eat snacks that I’ll eat less. Like I can get tasty sunflower seeds (there’s half a dozen different Russian brands at the European-leaning marketplace I frequent), so I’m hoping if I just force myself to snack only on that I’ll eat less. Especially with the sunflower seeds it takes a while to get through even a small portion.

Same with popcorn, it’s effort to make it so I’ll eat less since there’s a barrier to making it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartolimu posted:

And then get the wide mouth silicone pickling airlocks and start making pickles all the time, because it's super easy and cleaning a wide mouth jar is the easiest thing ever and pickles are amazing.

...I may have a pickling obsession. My family has noticed - for Christmas I got three books on pickling, a new fermenting crock (I already had two), and a vinegar-making guide. Maybe I should make a thread or something.

This is a pro strat.

I keep pickling things since buying some of those airlocks and some weights that fit into wide mouth quarts. Doing up some red onions right now for garnishes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

just remember if you're going to spontaneously ferment things, be ruthless about throwing away stuff that looks or smells off. and if you're going to go the vinegar-brine-and-heat-seal route, follow a tested recipe. botulism is very rare but almost all cases are from home preservation. dont get struck by lightning

i made some fermented hot sauce recently out of jalapenos and garlic, following brad'd recipe from BA. so drat good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
On the vaccum sealer I have, it has a mason jar attachment so you can pull vaccum on them and seal stuff up good. Great for nuts, even got the rare GALLON WIDEMOUTH jar for long term cookie storage.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

I was sorry to hear about your husband, Wrought. I hope you've managed to find what comfort you can, and am glad to see you in here again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If a recipe asks for, say, 2 green cardamom pods, how does that convert if you're using whole seeds? Maybe like 8 seeds per pod?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
8-10 depending on size

According to my Pakistani friend

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thanks!!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

feedmegin posted:

That is a very heartwarming story :3: but also i would like to know more about this

Oh gosh it's been ages since I've made it, but here goes. There's a technique to use leftover roti to make samosa that this lady describes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFMbH7rx2Q&t=140s

It's difficult to describe which is why I linked the video.

Then you combine sliced onion (I do like half moons), poha (the thin type; if you're using the thick type, you have to soak it for a spell), salt, green chilies, roasted crushed cumin seed, roasted crushed coriander seed, and kashmiri red chilie powder. Toss together, stuff your samosa, and deep fry. I use the cheap crappy flour tortillas from the store, because they're mushy enough to practically still be dough, and they stick together nicely. I don't use the large ones, I use the little ones. They come out rather nicely.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Welcome back! May I recommend An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler? I picked it up after she got Twitter roasted for having a custom forged https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/dining/alice-waters-egg-spoon-me-too-movement.amp.html given to her by Alice waters.

It’s a phenomenal read, and the philosophy is very simple but elegant. I think it might be exactly where you’re headed.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Just go to webstraunt and buy some cambros you loving wierdos.

Note that this does not apply to pickling chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The chickencheese thread is on the move again, now visiting Debate and Discussion for the debates.