Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PittTheElder posted:

e: There is a faction to Increase Council Power, but I don't understand what they would actually get if they won. Does the Council seize control of one of the ruler prerogatives at random?

It's not at random, they happen in order. And I believe the Council Power faction war boosts it by two stages in their favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Should I just abolish the council if they'll let me?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I generally find it's worth keeping the council to get the advisor positions so that you have Big Important Jobs to hand out to people who are too dumb to be in charge of anything important but too powerful to be ignored completely.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PittTheElder posted:

You lose an Advisor slot which makes internal management more difficult (there will always be powerful vassals pissed at you) but you get a sizeable Demense bonus. Depending on what counties you take, it might well be worth it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ilitarist posted:

Granted you can turn on interfaith marriage but this makes game not egligeable for achievements and is not supposed to be balanced. I wonder if it handled with at least some malus to interfaith marriages so that you can marry only if you have good relations.

But it's strange anyway. People didn't magically decided in 1444 that now we can cooperate in war without being a family.

Yeah it's kind of annoying. You CAN get interfaith marriages with favors, because you can buy favours from anyone (there are various reasons why they might not let you, but "heathen/heretic" is not a hard blocker like it is for marriage), and then cashing in a favour for a betrothal overrides the block from not being the same religion, but it's difficult to do this consistently because of the cost.

I'm hoping CK3 is a bit more fluid about how religious neighbours can interact because in real life politics often trumped religion when it came to how well neighbours got along.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Abolish it. Vassal management is easy enough and having the advisor slot isn’t going to make or break that one bit. It’s better to have a clean out and rearrange your vassals every now and then anyway rather than letting them get too powerful.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is there a list of things HIP changes about the game? It seems to get a lot of positive impressions, but that's also been true of mods in other games I have not loved.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Always be centralizing your rule.

I've just completed a long game by creating the Empire of the Outremer... Time for my diabolical crusading rulers to take a chill pill before I convert the game to EU4.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What a load of horseshit. My name literally means Emperor now and I was known as the philosopher. Look how large the Empire has grown

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Best Friends posted:

Is there a list of things HIP changes about the game? It seems to get a lot of positive impressions, but that's also been true of mods in other games I have not loved.

HIP is a mishmash of various mods that can be chosen when installing so:
Somewhat More Historical (SWMH) - Massive map overhaul that gets rid of the earliest start date and also a bunch of outer areas in the east and south in favour of more european accuracy. Contains a bunch of culture and religion overhauls. Personal preference.
Extended Mechanics & Flavor (EMF) - The real meat of the pack and the reason most will be playing it. This contains all of the balancing overhauls, extra mechanics, events, and oodles of extras. Essential.
ARKOpack - Interface and CoA overhaul. Personal preference. I personally don't like the font it uses for the interface and would suggest checking the link. The CoA part of the pack is decent and contains a bunch of historical flags and banners.
Cultures and Portraits Revamp Plus (CPRplus) - Additional portraits. Personal preference. Can look a bit silly at times but is very well done.
Lindbrooks Texture Map (LTM) - A map look overhaul. Supposedly more 'detailed' but I personally think it looks like poo poo so this is wildly biased. Take a look at the screenshots and see if it's for you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
+1 for abolish the council. Having the Council makes a lot of sense in the very late game since it will provide vassal limit bonuses for you but for the majority of the game its much better to abolish the council because you’ll need the power to deal with problems as they arise and you can’t be loving around with the short sighted pricks in the council every time you need to revoke a title and reassign it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gimme a dev diary

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Charlz Guybon posted:

What a load of horseshit. My name literally means Emperor now and I was known as the philosopher. Look how large the Empire has grown

Basileus Basileios!

Basileios!

Basileus Basileios!

Oooh, rock me, Basileus!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Also, what is the benefit of holding cities and temples as a Greek Orthodox ruler?

I notice that some of my Exarch vassals are holding on to them, even if they go one or two over the demnse limit. This is particularly annoying with regards to the Queen of Greece, who conquered Antioch in a holy war and won't name a patriarch.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 10, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I noticed when handing out counties I'd taken in Holy Wars that given the choice, my new vassals really enjoy making themselves mayors.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I noticed when handing out counties I'd taken in Holy Wars that given the choice, my new vassals really enjoy making themselves mayors.

This is something that's definitely from the latest DLC, because it didn't use to be that way.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Rynoto posted:

HIP is a mishmash of various mods that can be chosen when installing so:

Thank you!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, so I tried getting into this again, and there's something I'm having a lot of trouble with: Claims.

I read the CKII wiki and several let's plays and a tutorial, but it's still just kind of black magic to me.

Like, I get that liege -> vassal and King -> duke -> earl/count, and the difference between strong, weak and de jure (though the last is fuzzy). Playing it through doesn't help, because I can't really see what claims are where and how it affects my relationship with various vassals and other folks, meaning that I'm suddenly all out of vassals or my council gets themselves killed or jump ship before I can really react to it :confused:

It's really frustrating, as I'm having a lot of fun with the events, I just can't seem to hold a realm of any size together, and playing as a vassal I get screwed too.

Any help or directions to easily understood guides would be appreciated, tia!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
strong claims are those which don't go away after a while. weak claims are those which go away after a while, or can only be pressed in special circumstances like against a regency (the ruler is a child or in a coma or something). de jure claims are those which are considered yours by right as the lord of whatever

de jure means the title is considered your rightful subsidiary. let's say you're the duke of shittington, and the count of fartland as your personal demense. three other counties exist as de jure parts of your duchy - peeville, poopsburg, and weeweetown. those counties are 'rightfully' yours. if you do not own them directly in your demense, then whoever owns them should be your vassal as the ruler of the duchy. if they are independent, you can force a war to make them your vassal, or sometimes you can just take the title from them after you kick their rear end. if some other duke within your kingdom holds them, you can fight with that guy in an internal war to take the county or force a liege change. if some other king holds the county who is not the king you report to, then good luck trying to fight that entire kingdom but you can try it if you want

the important thing to remember about de jure claims is that they do not exist as an attribute of your character, inherited from your parents. they exist as a function of the titles you currently hold. if you're a king, you have de jure right to press claims against every county that 'should' be part of your kingdom

if you click a title shield, you can check to see all claimants to the title. this is everyone who has a legal claim to the title. you may find some bachelor third son knocking around with a strong claim somewhere. you can try to invite that guy to your court, marry him off to a daughter, and then you can press his claim to the title - this may end up with you being that guy's new lord if you play your cards right! (spare men in your court can be forced to matrimarry)

if you don't have any de jure claim over a county, and can't dig up a claimant, then you have to find some other way to make a claim, which for a catholic means begging the pope or fabricating the claim or something annoying or expensive

where your realm implodes is that you don't have legal aka de jure title over any of your vassals, or you've got gavelkind succession which is the brave spears-knocking-shields variety of title inheritance which is expected to turn into a giant mess on ruler death

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 10, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

honesty i’ve gotten to prefer playing in elective gavelkind, the sibling thunderdome is fun and this game is too easy anyway

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is something that's definitely from the latest DLC, because it didn't use to be that way.

They are going way over the demesne limit now. 10, 12 even 15!

This makes it hard to straighten out borders and break up to powerful vassals, even with vice-royalties.

It used to be if the Exarch of Anatloia or Trebizond conquered enough of Armenia for me to create the Kingdom, I could give it to a duke they had named in that region and if they still had vassals in that kingdom's de jure territory, I could give that kingdom to one of them and in that way slowly rebuild Armenia. That's impossible now, they just keep all the territory.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Another question...

I couldn't transfer the ducal level republic of Ragusa to the Exarch of Croatia. Is that because Ragusa was four times as large as Croatia? I had to wage a war to revoke the title.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

From the wiki:
  • Vassal to be transferred is not at war
  • Vassal to be transferred is not an antipope
  • Vassal to be transferred is not a minor patrician
  • Dukes may only be transferred to their de jure liege when that title exists (does not apply to titular dukes)
It sounds like the last one applies, since Ragusa is normally de jure under Serbja.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Very annoying given that Ragusa covered three fourths of Croatia.

Recently I tried to usurp the Kingdom of Sardina from the Sultan of Africa. Said something like it can't be usurped by patricians, and I was the morherfucking Emperor. The viceroyal duke of Sardina usurped it and that means I'll have to wage war over it eventually. What's up with that?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

• Merchant Republic, Chinese Imperial, and (Roman) Imperial rulers cannot usurp kingdoms or empires

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Various Meat Products posted:

• Merchant Republic, Chinese Imperial, and (Roman) Imperial rulers cannot usurp kingdoms or empires

Well, that's just dumb. What's the justification for that?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So is it still possible to resurrect the Roman Empire as a Merchant Republic?

I tried it once as a Byzantine vassal but a big update came out when I was just getting started and borked my save a bit.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

So is it still possible to resurrect the Roman Empire as a Merchant Republic?

I tried it once as a Byzantine vassal but a big update came out when I was just getting started and borked my save a bit.

Yeah but you gotta destroy Byzantium or become it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyways, Roman Imperial government is not hard, so long as you manage to hold on to the Empire for two generations and have a lot of kids. You just give every new duchy to a son, nephew or cousin or marry them to a ruling greek duchess and soon most of the voters and candidates are of your dynasty, so even if they don't vote for your candidate, another member of your dynasty will inherit.

Phocas the Holy is doing well. I think next time I'm going to load up as the Exarch of Greek and give away all those temples and cities, then save and reload as Emperor. It's been multiple rulers across at least fifty years, and we need that last patriarch. It's getting annoying.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

What's a good start to do some fun/weird stuff with religion? I haven't done anything with the reform mechanic or being a secret religion.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

What's a good start to do some fun/weird stuff with religion? I haven't done anything with the reform mechanic or being a secret religion.

Start as the Abbasid Caliph, give the caliphate to a (weak) vassal so you can convert to shia, create the Shia caliphate, give that to a vassal too, then convert to Zoroastrianism and become the Sayyid Saoshyant while also being immune to Jihads because both caliphs are your vassals.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So I had a weird thing happen to me today. I'm an emperor, found a claimant to the Kingdom of Castile, brought them to court, landed them, declared war to press their claim, won the war, all the standard stuff. But when I won the war, my claimant got the title King of Castile, but none of the land or vassals associated with it, de Jure or otherwise. The previous holder just swapped to one of their other Kingdom level titles (Lusitania then Leon), and retained all of the lands.

Now I'm looking at doing the same thing with France, but the holder of that also has three Kingdom level titles (France, Lotharingia, Thuringia). If I want to snatch his vassals away, will I need to find a way to triple press in quick succession? Possibly remaining at war the whole time so he can't usurp them back in the mean time?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PittTheElder posted:

So I had a weird thing happen to me today. I'm an emperor, found a claimant to the Kingdom of Castile, brought them to court, landed them, declared war to press their claim, won the war, all the standard stuff. But when I won the war, my claimant got the title King of Castile, but none of the land or vassals associated with it, de Jure or otherwise. The previous holder just swapped to one of their other Kingdom level titles (Lusitania then Leon), and retained all of the lands.

Now I'm looking at doing the same thing with France, but the holder of that also has three Kingdom level titles (France, Lotharingia, Thuringia). If I want to snatch his vassals away, will I need to find a way to triple press in quick succession? Possibly remaining at war the whole time so he can't usurp them back in the mean time?

You get the de jure vassals of the kingdom if they can be transferred without touching land of other held kingdoms, so usually you just get nowhere near the entire kingdom, and lots of border gore. Also claimant only gets counties held directly by kingdom owner in there, they're not pulled from vassals

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 12, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Got pissed at the game making GBS threads all over my Afghan run attempt but still wanna play. Never done West Africa before. Last I remember, there was a bug in that area that flooded your treasury constantly as long as your capital was down south. Is that still a thing or did they fix that at some point?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
drat, taking Rome in the 910s may not have been wise. Didn't mean to blow up Catholicism like that.

Loaded up as the Greek Exarch and gave out his cities and temples. Have all 4 Patriarchs now, but somehow Orthodox authority is only in the 60s. I blame all the holy wars my vassals have lost.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Got pissed at the game making GBS threads all over my Afghan run attempt but still wanna play. Never done West Africa before. Last I remember, there was a bug in that area that flooded your treasury constantly as long as your capital was down south. Is that still a thing or did they fix that at some point?

It can still happen every 3 years, yes.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

binge crotching posted:

It can still happen every 3 years, yes.

Ugh, guess I'm not doing an african game then. Don't wanna deal with that crap.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Ugh, guess I'm not doing an african game then. Don't wanna deal with that crap.

It's annoying, but at least if you take over the trade route you'll have enough ducats that it becomes an annoyance instead of a rage quit after a decade.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait sorry, so the bug gives you infinite cash? Other than the annoyance of reminding yourself not to spend it all, what's so bad? Constant popups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Wait sorry, so the bug gives you infinite cash? Other than the annoyance of reminding yourself not to spend it all, what's so bad? Constant popups?

No, its an event that fires pretty frequently wherein you either pay a pile of cash or lose an artifact. It definitely doesn't give you anything. You just also happen to be positioned such that if you're getting hit with that event you can also potentially take over the entirety of Africa's trade posts to offset the expense. The real winning move is to do that and then take Maghreb or somewhere else in northern Africa and put your capital there.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 14, 2020