Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Der Shovel posted:

Ooh is it Army OSHA time? I've got two!

I did my mandatory military service (I'm Finnish) at the Artillery Brigade, which trains field artillery gun crews. You can't just fire 122mm to 155mm artillery pieces at the backyard, so near to the army base there's a firing range, which is basically a huge 20km or so long stretch of wilderness which allows for the safe firing of artillery pieces (albeit at not anything approaching maximum ranges).

This area serves multiple purposes. When there isn't any firing being done, there's a lot of moorland and forest for marches, camping exercises and other training, so there's a lot of access points into the firing area. Of course, when any firing is going to be done, the area is strictly 100% do not loving think about it off limits.

One day during an artillery firing camp (basically a week long exercise) our gun crew were driving to the firing area in an SA-150 truck, pulling the artillery piece, when suddenly the truck pulls to a stop still about 5-10km away from our destination. At the side of the road is a sergeant with a group of artillery observer trainees on their bicycles. The sergeant is trying to wrestle one of the locked gates into the artillery firing range open as the 20 or so trainees look on. Our lieutenant jumps out of the truck and starts yelling at the sergeant, demanding to know why the gently caress exactly he is trying to lead 20 or so trainees into the loving artillery firing area when a live fire exercise is ongoing and the guns could start firing at any moment.

Turns out they were running late and rather than taking the long route to the staging and firing area, he figured they should just open the gate and take a quick shortcut. I have never, ever seen our lieutenant (a nice and calm guy with a wonderful sense of humor) so loving livid with anyone as he was with that sergeant.

Then there was the time a group of officer candidates at the firing range had managed to load too heavy a propellant charge into their 130mm cannon, causing their shell to overshoot the target area and land in the backyard of a family in a nearby town. Luckily nobody was home, so there was just structural damage to the house. That one made it into the papers!

E: it wasn't the 122H63 howitzer, but the 130K54 cannon.

Forgotten Weapons recently uploaded a video of an ex-soviet 122mm howitzer firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8QluMMELU

There's some OSHA in the video as the comments, mostly from Finnish artillery crews which used the same gun as the 122H63, mention that the loader should never load the gun directly from behind as there's a risk of the gun firing immediately upon closing the breech and hitting the incorrectly positioned loader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Artillery is actually a form of long range communication. The only message it gets through is "gently caress you! " though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

PurpleXVI posted:

It would seem that a firing range, with weapons that have different propellant charges, should have no back yards out to the maximum distance of a given weapon and propellant charge. :v: I mean, that's just me!

Yeah that was my first thought too

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

PurpleXVI posted:

It would seem that a firing range, with weapons that have different propellant charges, should have no back yards out to the maximum distance of a given weapon and propellant charge. :v: I mean, that's just me!

I wonder if someone painstakingly did that, complete with a healthy safety margin.

Then the army upgraded from blackpowder cannons firing preserved moose shells to ultra-high velocity titanium sabots, powered by an exotic propellant, realised that they had built a village at the end of the existing range, so decided a suitable solution would be a Word Memo pasted to the guns end of the range.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

By popular demand posted:

Artillery is actually a form of long range communication. The only message it gets through is "gently caress you! " though.

It can send a lot of messages though!

Dear Grid Square,

You look cold (fires white phosphorus)
It's dark, and that's unsafe! (fires parachute illumination flares)
Eat a pile of poo poo (fires standard HE)
You, yes you, I see you, and gently caress you in particular! (fires copperhead laser guided shell)

Lots of subtlety and nuance to be communicated 155mm at a time!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Here's the full vid of that Nepalese waterfall road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10SjlFFg77E

TFW you realize that it's not just 2 dudes in a Landcruiser

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Dannywilson posted:

Here's the full vid of that Nepalese waterfall road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10SjlFFg77E

TFW you realize that it's not just 2 dudes in a Landcruiser

The two first curves with no guardrail in place look like someone didnt stay on the road.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

The two first curves with no guardrail in place look like someone didnt stay on the road.

Maybe, but I'm guessing that it was probably debris pushed by the water that removed the guardrail.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

This is making me remember that horrible movie "Dragonfly", where the guys wife dies when her bus falls off a similar cliff during a landslide or something. It felt like it was on TV all the loving time, ugh

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Shut up Meg posted:

Specifically this scene and what the captain would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5quj6ZhJM

I know this is from a few pages ago but this is an interesting bit of fiction.

People who were actually around to witness the incident that spawned this scene describe it as playing out something like this: One Delta operator was moving around the base with his AR-type rifle (CAR-15 or something) in storage condition. Storage condition is magazine out, chamber empty, with the hammer dropped on the firing pin. On an AR-15, when the hammer is down and the trigger is dead, you cannot move the safety off of fire, but the weapon is already cleared and safe. The officer goes up to hassle the operator.

O: Your safety isn't on.
D: The hammer is down.
O: But your safety isn't on.
D:Yeah but the hammer is down.
O: Yeah but your safety isn't on.
D: *sigh* This is my safety. *walks away*

Naturally the last bit is what made its way into pop culture and dumb people use it as an excuse for bad weapons handling to this day.

To answer your curiosities, Delta operators are just about the only group who can get away with flouting the rules and the admonitions of a commissioned officer outside their chain of command, for various reasons including that they are generally respected and trusted to not be idiots.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Unlike Seal Teams, who, at one point in Afghanistan, weren't allowed to carry hand grenades IIRC.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Smiling Jack posted:

Unlike Seal Teams, who, at one point in Afghanistan, weren't allowed to carry hand grenades IIRC.

Considering the scalping, the murdering fellow Americans, and the carrying of Trump flags, they probably shouldn't be allowed to operate at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Considering the scalping, the murdering fellow Americans, and the carrying of Trump flags, they probably shouldn't be allowed to operate at all.

They'll never learn that it's wrong to shoot school girls and watch her friends try to drag her to safety if we keep inviting them to meet the president.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

the murdering fellow Americans,

Are you referring to the time they murdered a green beret or is this something different?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HBjFlvA.mp4

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

speaking of scalping, a good bit of OSHA advice for service members: don't get blackout drunk in an active warzone!

quote:

A fascinating scalping incident occurred as the siege of the English forts at Oswego, NY, were about to commence. In May, 1756, French allied Indians skulked about the forts to inflict what casualties they could. Stephen Cross, a shipbuilder from Massachusetts, records on May 25th that "one of our soldiers came in from the edge of the woods, where it seems he had lain all night having been out on the evening party the day before and got drunk and could not get in, and not being missed, but on seeing him found he had lost his scalp, but he could not tell how nor when, having no others around. We supposed the Indians had stumbled over him in the dark, and supposed him dead, and taken off his scalp."30 Patrick Mackeller also mentioned the incident in his journal and added "he afterwards recover'd."31

i wonder if your lieutenant would be more pissed if you tried to come back from a patrol without your handgun or without your scalp?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
how exactly do you recover from missing all the flesh on the top of your skull circa the 1700s

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Squalid posted:

i wonder if your lieutenant would be more pissed if you tried to come back from a patrol without your handgun or without your scalp?

Is your scalp serialized? One of those being lost has a lot less paperwork.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lazyhound posted:

how exactly do you recover from missing all the flesh on the top of your skull circa the 1700s

Alcohol.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

I guess if its all missing then theres nothing to get gangrene. Just clean bone.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

The car equivalent of breaking your ankle doing a fashion walk in artsy footwear
:iiaca:

Lazyhound posted:

First, scalping isn't the full-on "ear to ear, brow to nape" taking of the scalp, it's usually the top of the head. Better to imagine all the hair attached to a top knot, it's more than nominal but not thorough.

Generally speaking, while the scalp does bleed profusely from its proximity to the brain and all the major arteries that supply it, it's actually fairly bare in terms of soft tissue that can cause lasting damage. A lot of conditions were just right for this guy to recover, including: not suffering a strike capable of damaging the skull, not initially bleeding out with a high BAC, no lasting infection, and some form of treatment to mitigate future exacerbation.

It's basically a fair amount of skin on bone; your musculature is more the back, front, and sides of the head, not the top.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mistle posted:

The car equivalent of breaking your ankle doing a fashion walk in artsy footwear
:iiaca:

First, scalping isn't the full-on "ear to ear, brow to nape" taking of the scalp, it's usually the top of the head. Better to imagine all the hair attached to a top knot, it's more than nominal but not thorough.

Generally speaking, while the scalp does bleed profusely from its proximity to the brain and all the major arteries that supply it, it's actually fairly bare in terms of soft tissue that can cause lasting damage. A lot of conditions were just right for this guy to recover, including: not suffering a strike capable of damaging the skull, not initially bleeding out with a high BAC, no lasting infection, and some form of treatment to mitigate future exacerbation.

It's basically a fair amount of skin on bone; your musculature is more the back, front, and sides of the head, not the top.

It wasn't a scalping, but when I was like three, my sister smashed a plastic bucket over my head and the edge caught my scalp. There was so little bleeding my parents didn't know I was hurt that bad until I complained about the pain after my bath and my mom checked and found a gash several inches long that, again, wasn't really bleeding.

So maybe these Native Americans used a plastic bucket on this dude.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Buckaroo Banzai's opening scene is different than I remember

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Uthor posted:

"I bet we're going to see a car go by... :aaaaa:"

:same:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I honestly thought scalping involved hacking off the top of someone's skull with an axe, destroying the entire brain in the process.

I guess you learn something new every day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIQEYezUuY

audio warning

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Hillary 2020 posted:

Are you referring to the time they murdered a green beret or is this something different?

Wasn't there a case a while back where they duct taped some marine's mouth shut and he died before they were planning to rape him on camera because he learned about them smuggling weapons or drugs in whatever third world shithole they were in?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's like some ballet move

Breakdancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCYLEO9sIVQ

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wasn't there a case a while back where they duct taped some marine's mouth shut and he died before they were planning to rape him on camera because he learned about them smuggling weapons or drugs in whatever third world shithole they were in?

It's the same case, but you have the details mixed up. The Seals along with two Marine Raiders duct-taped that Green Beret and ended up suffocating him.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/06/05/raiders-seals-planned-sexual-assault-in-green-beret-hazing-that-led-to-homicide/

quote:

The Post reported Wednesday that through a stipulation of facts document it obtained and verified that not only were the two Navy SEALs and two Marine Raiders going to assault, duct tape and video record the illegal hazing of Melgar, but that they also planned to have a Malian man who was present sexually assault the 34-year-old staff sergeant on video.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Could’ve gone worse.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Did somebody just say [b]artillery excersise[b] and [b]Soviet artillery[b] inthe same sentence?

Because I've got a short story from my late grandpa's turbulent youth.

During his time as an artilleryman in the post-war Polish army my grandfather took a part in a routine live-fire excersise, probably on some precursor to

Zeond posted:

Forgotten Weapons recently uploaded a video of an ex-soviet 122mm howitzer firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8QluMMELU

The goal is to score one hit in three shots, and there's about a dozen guys taking turns on the same gun. Finally it's my grandfather's turn, the gun is loaded, he gets into the shooter's position, pulls the trigger.. and wakes up in hospital, some two weeks later, with a broken spine. The gun exploded under him, threw him back, and smashed him back-first into a GAZ69 parked some twenty meters away. According to the family legend, the difference between him walking out of the hospital and him being permamently paralyzed and my father never being born was about one centimeter.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SealHammer posted:

I know this is from a few pages ago but this is an interesting bit of fiction.

People who were actually around to witness the incident that spawned this scene describe it as playing out something like this: One Delta operator was moving around the base with his AR-type rifle (CAR-15 or something) in storage condition. Storage condition is magazine out, chamber empty, with the hammer dropped on the firing pin. On an AR-15, when the hammer is down and the trigger is dead, you cannot move the safety off of fire, but the weapon is already cleared and safe. The officer goes up to hassle the operator.

O: Your safety isn't on.
D: The hammer is down.
O: But your safety isn't on.
D:Yeah but the hammer is down.
O: Yeah but your safety isn't on.
D: *sigh* This is my safety. *walks away*

Naturally the last bit is what made its way into pop culture and dumb people use it as an excuse for bad weapons handling to this day.

To answer your curiosities, Delta operators are just about the only group who can get away with flouting the rules and the admonitions of a commissioned officer outside their chain of command, for various reasons including that they are generally respected and trusted to not be idiots.

Thank you for the effortpost.

That takes it from 'surely that's Hollywood bullshit' to 'that sounds like a story that someone in GIP would relate' - assuming that the officer later went on to accidentally shoot their own desk.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Quick aside: that man seems to have plenty of upper body strength, wouldn't be be able to get around on crutches?

WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU NOT LOOK UP BEFORE MOVING A LADDER YOU rear end in a top hat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was intentional. I think the dude was mad about something like they were blocking a road or something like that (they weren't doing whatever he was mad about, he was just old and mad at the world). I think he either got arrested or at least talked to by the cops.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By popular demand posted:

Quick aside: that man seems to have plenty of upper body strength, wouldn't be be able to get around on crutches?

Not if he can’t put weight on his legs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It was intentional. I think the dude was mad about something like they were blocking a road or something like that (they weren't doing whatever he was mad about, he was just old and mad at the world). I think he either got arrested or at least talked to by the cops.

I think it's because of the safety line attached to the ladders that crosses the sidewalk. What an rear end in a top hat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.en24.news/2020/01/an-old-man-in-a-wheelchair-caused-a-painter-to-fall-on-a-ladder-video-san-martin-de-porres.html

Found a few links but this seems to be one of the originals that isn't a tabloid site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm surprised the car driver survived after that due to how many motorcyclists were there

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah, reminds me of this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/richmond-cyclists-accident-1.3839054

19-year-old in a Lexus SUV comes screaming around a blind corner on a popular cycling route and plows into a peloton of six cyclists. One dead, two severely injured.

The dude ended up getting a slap on the wrist.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/driver-who-killed-richmond-cyclist-given-one-year-ban-1-800-fine-1.23304890

Bonus: he posted a fake-gangster photo shoot to his instagram right before his court appearance, complete with
fake teardrop tats.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/dead-richmond-cyclists-parents-incredibly-shaken-by-tattoo-teardrops-photo

when im normal cycling i do try to remind myself that someone can murder me and not face any consequences for it