Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

re: Amnesia

I think picking that option doesn't necessarily mean Harry is lying about his amnesia and actually has perfect recall - more that he's become aware/was always aware that the amnesia was something he/his brain was doing intentionally as a self defense mechanism as opposed to an accident of electrochemistry from binge drinking.

I didn't personally pick that option because even the implication of it felt wrong - Harry has been going around asking dipshit questions about "whats a real" and the like or having to ask basic questions of how to do his job without taking Morale hits for being horrifically embarrassed - which to me shows an inability to recall, whatever the cause, not just lying to put people offbalance.

But tomato, tomato - I'm guessing they put that in there so people could have some level of choice in what Harry's deal is, exactly.

Alternatively: He doesn't get a morale hit because he's always wanted to do that stuff and now has the perfect excuse. "Hey, you need to pay your bill!" "I'm sorry I can't, I don't understand what money is". You could interpret it as liberating - he's asking questions about the fundamental nature of society, because he has "amnesia", you see, but really these are just questions he's always had and never had a satisfactory answer for because they're the kinds of things that people usually just take for granted. It's like a Socratic method thing - he gets people to question their implicit assumptions about the world by pretending not to understand the things that everyone "knows".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The surest sign that Harry is genuinely unwell is that he thinks he lives in a world where you can get out of rent by engaging your landlord with a discussion on how money is in fact bullshit.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
It's not something he makes up. We know this because we are him and see his thoughts. If he was faking it the mask would slip at some point and that certainly does not happen. Interesting theory to consider though.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 13, 2020

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Holy poo poo this is the best game I’ve played this decade gently caress sekiro

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Where the heck can I find some music to sing at kareoke? I've gotten to the "Hey if you go further poo poo is gonna go end game" wall on day 4 and want to round up a bunch of side stuff before rushing back it in to see where this poo poo goes.

Also Holy poo poo everything about the church so far has been insane and cool. The idiot musicians, the silent spot leading to the convo with the crab man , the Innocence, finally finishing the experiment and Harrier's theory on what it is. What a loving fantastic place.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Are there any skills that you’d recommend against investing too many points into? I know that there’s not really a wrong way to play this game, but I’m like near the end of day 3 and at the beginning of my playthrough I just died like 3 times and re rolled a character (I went into the game blind and basically didn’t know what I was doing, so I kind of regret not putting points into some things now that I know what they are, or basically just role playing more), and I have Inland Empire leveled up the most with like 11 points now, and I was wondering if that was kind of a waste, even though I enjoy the stuff that Inland Empire has lead to with certain checks. However, I was watching that Gamespot video which is really good btw, and I was curious about some skills and Google lead me to their guide for the skills, and also because at the end it says how it’s almost never actively checked which also made me rethink my stats, or if some were just maybe a lot less useful to level up at the beginning of the game at least, but it says this about Inland Empire:

“ Inland Empire is the measure of the player-character's knowledge of the inner workings of the government. This is subtly different from the Encyclopedia skill. Where Encyclopedia is more about history and events long before the player-character's time, Inland Empire is more about the “here and now” of the different organizations involved in the plot.
Inland Empire is almost always passively checked and, if successful, will provide the player with more information on the current events of different organizations. It's almost never actively checked and will only rarely open up new dialogue options”

And uh that seems really incorrect? Either that, or even with Inland Empire being my highest stat by far, I still don’t know poo poo about the government, if my conversation with the Sunday friend/bureaucrat is any indication. Btw, the one thing that seems inconsistent with the writing (or consistent since I’m not sure what it means), but Kim laughing at you seemingly not knowing that that guy is gay, and his ‘Sunday friend’ is someone he’s hooking up with? It’s not even a bad thing, but it said like three times ‘Kim laughs quietly and tries to hide it’, or something like that, and then you’re given like three choices to guess what a Sunday friend is, or what it is about him, or why his shirt has one button open... etc.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Imhotep posted:

Are there any skills that you’d recommend against investing too many points into? I know that there’s not really a wrong way to play this game, but I’m like near the end of day 3 and at the beginning of my playthrough I just died like 3 times and re rolled a character (I went into the game blind and basically didn’t know what I was doing, so I kind of regret not putting points into some things now that I know what they are, or basically just role playing more), and I have Inland Empire leveled up the most with like 11 points now, and I was wondering if that was kind of a waste, even though I enjoy the stuff that Inland Empire has lead to with certain checks. However, I was watching that Gamespot video which is really good btw, and I was curious about some skills and Google lead me to their guide for the skills, which says this about Inland Empire:

“ Inland Empire is the measure of the player-character's knowledge of the inner workings of the government. This is subtly different from the Encyclopedia skill. Where Encyclopedia is more about history and events long before the player-character's time, Inland Empire is more about the “here and now” of the different organizations involved in the plot.
Inland Empire is almost always passively checked and, if successful, will provide the player with more information on the current events of different organizations. It's almost never actively checked and will only rarely open up new dialogue options”

And uh that seems really incorrect? Either that, or even with Inland Empire being my highest stat by far, I still don’t know poo poo about the government, if my conversation with the Sunday friend/bureaucrat is any indication. Btw, the one thing that seems inconsistent with the writing (or consistent since I’m not sure what it means), but Kim laughing at you seemingly not knowing that that guy is gay, and his ‘Sunday friend’ is someone he’s hooking up with? It’s not even a bad thing, but it said like three times ‘Kim laughs quietly and tries to hide it’, or something like that, and then you’re given like three choices to guess what a Sunday friend is, or what it is about him, or why his shirt has one button open... etc.

Inland Empire is knowledge of, like, magic psychic poo poo.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I know that, I was half joking with the question about it being a twist that it’s actually about the government, but yeah I mean I leveled it up a few times because I think it’s cool, and assumed it was a Lynch reference. It even says something about being able to change reality and experience a dream-like state, etc. I was just like, how did Gamespot get it that wrong, and is there even any stat that is about knowledge of the inner workings of the government?

Jove posted:

Holy poo poo this is the best game I’ve played this decade gently caress sekiro

The game journos all say 2019 wasn’t that great of a year for games, but I think it was amazing, and at least two of my favorite games of the decade came out last year, Sekiro and Outer Wilds. This game is also amazing so far, I can’t wait to see what happens.

Ragnar34 posted:

The surest sign that Harry is genuinely unwell is that he thinks he lives in a world where you can get out of rent by engaging your landlord with a discussion on how money is in fact bullshit.

Well, I think there’s many other things that tip you off to that, including how you try to ‘slip away’ by running across the room and jumping, turning in mid air and flipping him off, with both hands. And also basically landing on an elderly woman in a wheel chair, which is a lot more worrying than how he starts to talk about money being bullshit, which is something one might say when they have absolutely no money and need to pay for their room for the night...

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 13, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Imhotep posted:

Are there any skills that you’d recommend against investing too many points into? I know that there’s not really a wrong way to play this game, but I’m like near the end of day 3 and at the beginning of my playthrough I just died like 3 times and re rolled a character (I went into the game blind and basically didn’t know what I was doing, so I kind of regret not putting points into some things now that I know what they are, or basically just role playing more), and I have Inland Empire leveled up the most with like 11 points now, and I was wondering if that was kind of a waste, even though I enjoy the stuff that Inland Empire has lead to with certain checks.

6 points, stat + skill, is a good place to be to have a well-functioning cop. Honestly, unless you've put thoughts in your cabinet that give you XP for conceptualization/encyclopedia passives, once you take something up to there just hold off on it until you come to a point where you have a check to make and think, yes, this skill is important, then put some points into it. Anything else is deliberately seeing how crazy things will get, and that's fun as hell, but it's also basically the int/psy/fys/mot director's cut. If you're worried about being able to complete the game, moderation's not bad.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Ok cool, that’s what I thought for the most part, but good to know that 6 is a good number for everything. I just have a lot of things to do, but I feel like I’m doing well and doing the main plot stuff fairly quickly even though I feel like it took a while to ‘get my poo poo together’. But still, my stats are quite low and most of them in intellect and motor is are pretty low and I kind of want to start over, but at the same time I want to complete this play through. Also, it seems like the white checks are pretty varied, but I’m about to get the body down I think, the only reason I haven’t is because I somehow failed an Inland Empire check that was 97%, so I figured I’d go talk to the Hardie Boys and Klaasje next and see if anything else comes up before I proceed. Also I assumed that it wasn’t, but is everything that’s listed as a task required? I thought it was but I just realized that internalizing Measure Head’s race theory is one of them and I knocked him out instead. Is it simply there to list what you what you have completed/what you can do on certain days, or after a certain time, or basically is there any way to know what’s more of a main quest type thing, besides just assuming what is and isn’t based on conversations you have with Kim?

Also interesting to see that some people are on day 7 and others are at the point of no return by day 4, so I might be closer to the end than I thought

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 13, 2020

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Imhotep posted:

Also interesting to see that some people are on day 7 and others are at the point of no return by day 4, so I might be closer to the end than I thought

I'm pretty sure if you're die hard focused on the case you could hit the point of no return on day 3. No idea why you'd want to do that, though.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So who all can get arrested in a playthrough?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Imhotep posted:

The game journos all say 2019 wasn’t that great of a year for games, but I think it was amazing, and at least two of my favorite games of the decade came out last year, Sekiro and Outer Wilds. This game is also amazing so far, I can’t wait to see what happens.

Who on earth thinks 2019 was a bad year for games lmfao

if not for DE it'd be a 10 way knife fight of a tie for what's best with no clear winner

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Epic High Five posted:

Who on earth thinks 2019 was a bad year for games lmfao

if not for DE it'd be a 10 way knife fight of a tie for what's best with no clear winner
Yeah, like you can't even say that its because the game journos don't play enough indies because even the AAA games this year were pretty strong.

They definitely need to play more indies though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, like you can't even say that its because the game journos don't play enough indies because even the AAA games this year were pretty strong.

They definitely need to play more indies though.

one nice trend I've been seeing is that the journos who were initially negative on DE because they were coming to it as normies and degenerate libs warmed up to as they played through it at a "not having to write a review on this" pace and thought over it more

it's incredible to think that it's their first game and they went for a game that is not only (basically) a new genre, but a literal work of art in the sense of, to paraphrase, "most games give you an experience that says 'keep coming back for this', we want to make something that instead you take with you away from the game and into your everyday life, to make you see things in a new way"

they even anticipated it being a failure in a bittersweet sort of way from the game project in the doomed commercial district. Really looking forward to their next projects and the book

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Epic High Five posted:

one nice trend I've been seeing is that the journos who were initially negative on DE because they were coming to it as normies and degenerate libs warmed up to as they played through it at a "not having to write a review on this" pace and thought over it more

it's incredible to think that it's their first game and they went for a game that is not only (basically) a new genre, but a literal work of art in the sense of, to paraphrase, "most games give you an experience that says 'keep coming back for this', we want to make something that instead you take with you away from the game and into your everyday life, to make you see things in a new way"

they even anticipated it being a failure in a bittersweet sort of way from the game project in the doomed commercial district. Really looking forward to their next projects and the book
I am still genuinely pleasantly surprised that not only was it actually in the Keighleys it won the most awards of any game there.

I'm super glad that it escaped the fate of its cult classic WRPG forebears and actually sold real well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DE is probably my new favorite franchise. That spot has been taken by The Witcher ever since its release in 2007, and now Disco is a new one. And just like The Witcher, I will buy every scrap of content sold that deals with this awesome world.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

I am still genuinely pleasantly surprised that not only was it actually in the Keighleys it won the most awards of any game there.

I'm super glad that it escaped the fate of its cult classic WRPG forebears and actually sold real well.

I just hope that this time in a year or two we're talking about Discolikes coming out

CRPG combat is bad and everybody hates it, free yourself from the chains of 80's boardgaming and let your games be free!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I tend to enjoy most RPG combat, even the broken janky poo poo. But I also want more narrative driven games like this. There’s room for both.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I tend to enjoy most RPG combat, even the broken janky poo poo. But I also want more narrative driven games like this. There’s room for both.

maybe, but narrative and writing is always gonna be the first to suffer so I'm not holding my breath. It's not for nothing that the most recent game people can think of to compare it to is 20 years old with every guide for it beginning with a recommended build to trivialize the combat

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Epic High Five posted:

I just hope that this time in a year or two we're talking about Discolikes coming out

CRPG combat is bad and everybody hates it, free yourself from the chains of 80's boardgaming and let your games be free!
I really want more games inspired by DE and Kentucky Route Zero because both are fantastic encapsulations of what I love about video games and the potential they have.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Epic High Five posted:

This. Absolutely nothing would be lost from Tides of Numenera if all the combat had been cut. Mr. Dick can't help but think the time spent on the combat system and all the combat stat specific stuff, had it been directed to other parts of the game, would have made it even better.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one thing design wise that i genuinely like about disco elysium is something from an rpg system, i wish i could remember what, where a lot of skill checks aren't binary pass fail but are actions that advance the scene no matter the outcome of the die roll. they just advance it in different ways.

of course some white checks and red checks aren't this way but in an actual video game rpg i don't think you could realistically employ that system all the time without loving up the gameplay flow.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

rabidsquid posted:

one thing design wise that i genuinely like about disco elysium is something from an rpg system, i wish i could remember what, where a lot of skill checks aren't binary pass fail but are actions that advance the scene no matter the outcome of the die roll. they just advance it in different ways.

of course some white checks and red checks aren't this way but in an actual video game rpg i don't think you could realistically employ that system all the time without loving up the gameplay flow.

Yeah that's the whole "fail forward" thing that's really popular in TTRPGs nowadays, in Powered by the Apocalypse and Blades in the Dark and whatnot. The red checks are similar, but I think really committing to it in a video game would take an insane amount of work. It's something that only really makes sense with a live GM, who can come up with something in the moment to either let you slide by or punish you in a way that fits the fiction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DE basically occupies a space between CRPG and visual novel, again currectly realising that no one likes CRPG combat but they do like having choices matter, and fail-forward means both the dev and player have freedom to keep the story going.

Was I the only one who had more healing items than I knew what to do with pretty early on?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ghost Leviathan posted:

DE basically occupies a space between CRPG and visual novel, again currectly realising that no one likes CRPG combat but they do like having choices matter, and fail-forward means both the dev and player have freedom to keep the story going.

Was I the only one who had more healing items than I knew what to do with pretty early on?

i dont know if it was weird randomness but i spent most of the game with 10+ morale healing items and exactly 0 health healing items.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think DE is going to blow up the notion of "visual novel" as a big umbrella genre

When you've got all time great mystery and pure horror games under the same genre as hentai novels, a schism is shortly to come, and when the revolution means a rethinking if combat should be present at all in it's traditional sense, well

rabidsquid posted:

i dont know if it was weird randomness but i spent most of the game with 10+ morale healing items and exactly 0 health healing items.

This is normal, it takes a day if you know what you're doing or two if not to have more healing items than you (think) you may need

It's not meant to be a terror that lingers, just one that highlights your initial fragility

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I enjoy Divinity Original Sin's (1 and 2) combat. I even enjoyed BGII's combat at the time. :shrug:

Kurvitz mentioned in that interview that he'd like to do more combat in a sequel.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

itry posted:

I enjoy Divinity Original Sin's (1 and 2) combat. I even enjoyed BGII's combat at the time. :shrug:

Kurvitz mentioned in that interview that he'd like to do more combat in a sequel.

I hope he meant more combat in the way everything else is done ie through the dialogue system, and that they are appropriately rare. Although if they do make a combat system that is in its own separate mode I’m reasonably optimistic the devs can make it cool and interesting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ConfusedPig posted:

I hope he meant more combat in the way everything else is done ie through the dialogue system

He explicitly said this yes. Also he wants to do a sex scene through the dialogue system

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't mind combat in RPGs either, not at all, but whenever most computer RPGs do anything that isn't combat, the result is generally kind of lackluster. Where this game really shines is that it's all about the stuff that most RPGs do badly, and it instead does it really well. So I'd love to see someone in the future try to mash the two together. There's no reason there can't be a best-of-two-worlds here.

Also, it just struck me this morning that Harry is basically pre-sobering up Sam Vimes and now I want someone to make that.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

He explicitly said this yes. Also he wants to do a sex scene through the dialogue system

The Electrochemistry-Hand/Eye teamup we've been waiting for.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Skellybones posted:

The Electrochemistry-Hand/Eye teamup we've been waiting for.

Has any game ever had an interactive masturbation scene?

Asking for a friend.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

DropsySufferer posted:

DE lets you be corrupt but not evil.

Being a racist / fascist is absolutely evil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't mind combat in RPGs either, not at all, but whenever most computer RPGs do anything that isn't combat, the result is generally kind of lackluster. Where this game really shines is that it's all about the stuff that most RPGs do badly, and it instead does it really well. So I'd love to see someone in the future try to mash the two together. There's no reason there can't be a best-of-two-worlds here.

Also, it just struck me this morning that Harry is basically pre-sobering up Sam Vimes and now I want someone to make that.

Eh, way too dysfunctional for that, though I can see the similarities and possible inspiration.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, way too dysfunctional for that, though I can see the similarities and possible inspiration.

Yeah, but the whole world is dysfunctional in Disco Elysium, so I think that mainly just comes from cranking up the dial on the whole world. A lot of the basic elements are there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh hey

Wafflecopper posted:

Idiot Doom Spiral (that would be a great forums name)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Has any game ever had an interactive masturbation scene?

Asking for a friend.

I can very safely say yes.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Where the heck can I find some music to sing at kareoke? I've gotten to the "Hey if you go further poo poo is gonna go end game" wall on day 4 and want to round up a bunch of side stuff before rushing back it in to see where this poo poo goes.

its south of the sea gate bridge, through a broken fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also Holy poo poo everything about the church so far has been insane and cool. The idiot musicians, the silent spot leading to the convo with the crab man , the Innocence, finally finishing the experiment and Harrier's theory on what it is. What a loving fantastic place.

Non spoiler part : It's across the canal. Wiki says it's in a shack, I think it's in the fenced backyard to the 'south' but maybe it's the little shack near the drunks? Been a while so brain is pretty vague sorry.