Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
so thirsty

https://twitter.com/theyoungdoyler/status/1216602797287841793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The protagonist does seem to have bi inclinations, at least if his reactions to the cigarette smoking man are any indication.

Is Measurehead meant to have a mustache? His portrait is more abstract than most but looks like he has a big one.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Something something 'pulling rank' something.

Measurehead is weird to me. Something in my seeing (be it brain or eyes or monitor size) means I don't look at the character models very much. So with the views of the character and the portrait I had assumed he looked like Theodore Roosevelt with his face tattoo'd blue. Which meant I completely skipped any of the irony of the character the thread has brought up. It was only in the SA LP when I saw he's meant to be at least tanned, and presumably a POC?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The protagonist does seem to have bi inclinations, at least if his reactions to the cigarette smoking man are any indication.

This is gonna be like, a twenty hour mind-project for me. At least twenty hours.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think it's only 8hours canonically. :P

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tylana posted:

Something something 'pulling rank' something.

Measurehead is weird to me. Something in my seeing (be it brain or eyes or monitor size) means I don't look at the character models very much. So with the views of the character and the portrait I had assumed he looked like Theodore Roosevelt with his face tattoo'd blue. Which meant I completely skipped any of the irony of the character the thread has brought up. It was only in the SA LP when I saw he's meant to be at least tanned, and presumably a POC?

His voice actor is, I believe, Afro-Moroccan. The character I read as a hotep.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read it as the smoker, with his androgynous looks and blonde hair, subconsciously reminding Harry of the ex-something.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Tylana posted:

Measurehead is specifically Semenese (although you can get him to admit he wasn't born in the Semenine Islands), which seems to be Elysium's equivalent of either east/central Africa or possibly South Asia, it's not super clear as the region doesn't get brought up much in the game aside from indirectly. His particular brand of scientific racism dictates that Semenese people are genetically superior, that Occidentals (Caucasians) are a degenerate inferior race, and Samarans seem to be somewhere in between in that they're definitely an inferior race but are useful in some way to the übermensch and some of them are all right (i.e. "one of the good ones"). Of course, like all scientific racists, he also turns out to be a massive hypocrite if you push him on it enough.

It doesn't really help that his portrait is one of the more abstract ones in the game. And the fact that he had a goddamn phrenology diagram tattooed across his entire body.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 13, 2020

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I loved the arc of interacting with Measurehead (or at least mine). Going into it highly intimidated by the dude, then realizing how contradictory and flimsy his philosophy is to the point where he's totally comical. Then I got around him by sneaking in anyway. Cool character.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Speaking of failing forward, I loved this interaction at the end.

It's the only time I've failed that authority check even though I went into it with 92% and that's loving hilarious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much everything about Measurehead is deeply ironic, including that all of his beliefs are nothing but a detriment to his life in the long run (and probably make him easy for the Evrart brothers to manipulate) since being a huge, attractive, charismatic and intelligent strong man would easily make him plenty of friends and girlfriends without the hateful and incoherent race science that serves only to alienate him from the rest of the union.

Utritum posted:

I read it as the smoker, with his androgynous looks and blonde hair, subconsciously reminding Harry of the ex-something.

Could be either, maybe both. Kim certainly seems amused. I get the impression the protagonist has a history of racism and bigotry but can be a lot more open-minded if he lets himself be.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Wafflecopper posted:

He explicitly said this yes. Also he wants to do a sex scene through the dialogue system

[Inland Empire (Medium): Success]

Penis: Hold on there, cowboy! You ain't just gonna put me in there, are you? We ain't spoke in so long. That there booze been cutting us off from each other.

1. Ignore it and put it in.
2. "Oh no not you again."
3. "Oh darling, I missed you so much."
4. "Suddenly I'm beginning to wish I hadn't quit drinking."

Penis: I missed you too, sweetheart. Now before we saddle up into that wild pink yonder, I think the two of us got some catching up to do.

Perception (Easy): Success The prostitute calmly takes a drag on her cigarette and waits for you to finish.

Empathy (Medium): Success This is not the first time she's seen a client engaged in conversation with their genitals.

Logic (Easy): Success Or the tenth.

Authority Keep talking to it. Show this sex worker you have standards for who is worthy of your attention.

Electrochemistry (Medium): Success She's clearly on coke. Find her stash and snort it with your dick.

Encyclopedia (Easy): Failure What's a penis.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 13, 2020

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I would say you should tweet that at ZA/UM but I don't know if that would stop them using the idea

EDIT : But that is awesome

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This game's system would make a helluva Batman game, I suddenly realise.

With or without the sex scene.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Has any game ever had an interactive masturbation scene?

Asking for a friend.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about Measurehead is deeply ironic, including that all of his beliefs are nothing but a detriment to his life in the long run (and probably make him easy for the Evrart brothers to manipulate) since being a huge, attractive, charismatic and intelligent strong man would easily make him plenty of friends and girlfriends without the hateful and incoherent race science that serves only to alienate him from the rest of the union.

Too bad about the whole... downstairs dysfunction of his. But of course, he manages to fit that into his racist ideology too (a true, strong Semenese body knows instinctively not to mate with lesser races, or something to that effect).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Measurehead owns because his entire reason to live in his mind is to measure peoples heads

Like Harry is constantly on peoples poo poo opening up like tin cans

Nominative determinism

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 13, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Imhotep posted:

Btw, the one thing that seems inconsistent with the writing (or consistent since I’m not sure what it means), but Kim laughing at you seemingly not knowing that that guy is gay, and his ‘Sunday friend’ is someone he’s hooking up with? It’s not even a bad thing, but it said like three times ‘Kim laughs quietly and tries to hide it’, or something like that, and then you’re given like three choices to guess what a Sunday friend is, or what it is about him, or why his shirt has one button open... etc.

Kim finds your total lack of understanding of homosexuals and fascination with them hilarious because he himself is gay.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/anneyang3d/status/1216382652925784069

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That interview/retrospective with Kurvitz says he's interested in doing more routine police work scenes in future games, citing a car chase and shootout specifically. All the police procedure business in this game was a lot of fun, so I've gotta believe there's a compelling story they could tell in Harry's post-amnesia headspace.

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

Heads up to anyone not in the official Discord: one of the devs mentioned working on a trailer and having a content update currently in QA. I wonder if this has anything to do with them also mentioning they might update the art book? Either way, I just want anything and everything DE.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Mulva posted:

Kim finds your total lack of understanding of homosexuals and fascination with them hilarious because he himself is gay.

Is that made explicit? I took Kim going "sure, I'm part of the homosexual underground" as him rolling his eyes while trying to get you to drop the subject, if that's what you're thinking of. And it's implied that maybe he's being subtly manipulated by Klassje in a way similar to Harry, which makes me wonder.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Greaseman posted:

Is that made explicit? I took Kim going "sure, I'm part of the homosexual underground" as him rolling his eyes while trying to get you to drop the subject, if that's what you're thinking of. And it's implied that maybe he's being subtly manipulated by Klassje in a way similar to Harry, which makes me wonder.

I took the thing with Klaasje as Kim not being manipulated, at least not so easily as Harry, but him just finding it generally difficult to read her, since she is skilled spy after all.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Greaseman posted:

Klassje has more going on than just her sex appeal, she is a talented manipulator and it's not out of the question that she is stringing along Kim for reasons that have nothing to do with his libido. Hell, the first time I played, I felt more sympathetic towards her than I ought to have, and I too am part of the homosexual underground

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Too bad about the whole... downstairs dysfunction of his. But of course, he manages to fit that into his racist ideology too (a true, strong Semenese body knows instinctively not to mate with lesser races, or something to that effect).
That's not how I read his relationship with Katja at all (but then again, I actually paid attention to his rambling dialog and the whole "Kojik" description)

ConfusedPig posted:

I took the thing with Klaasje as Kim not being manipulated, at least not so easily as Harry, but him just finding it generally difficult to read her, since she is skilled spy after all.
He say that women don't really affect him, but one of your skills notes that she plays on his professional pride and desire to protect people instead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Using the skills to repeat a major plot point a couple ways in an organic way that's still flavorful and interesting to read to make sure people get them (and read the text in the first place) is a really nice trick. I hadn't thought of it that way until Kurvitz pointed it out in the interview.

I'm impressed with his awareness that text needs to be made into something of a reward to read or people will gloss over it, and with his goal of being clear and understandable. The story still has tons of room for interpretation even with it being told with an eye towards being clear and readable, after all.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Where's this interview?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Neopie posted:

Where's this interview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

reposting because it is Good

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

The character I read as a hotep.

"Wombman." Jesus. And here I thought "Man of the Wö" was exaggeration.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
can someone give me a roll for Joe Miller from The Expanse?

I'm thinking like 1/2/2/5/2 or something

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ex post facho posted:

can someone give me a roll for Joe Miller from The Expanse?

I'm thinking like 1/2/2/5/2 or something

Arent there only 4?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

Speaking of failing forward, I loved this interaction at the end.

It's the only time I've failed that authority check even though I went into it with 92% and that's loving hilarious.

THERE'S OTHER PARTY MEMBERS?!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thecluckmeme posted:

THERE'S OTHER PARTY MEMBERS?!

just that one, and just in a very specific circumstance

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

just that one, and just in a very specific circumstance

I'm guessing that it's if you finish a certain sidequest and do poorly at the tribunal?

I might just try that out when I play "Always Be Mething" Harry

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Greaseman posted:

The whole point of the Homo-sexual Underground thought is to reveal Kim as gay. The solution specifically hints to talk to Kim about it, it doesn't do anything else. It's actually a very clever meta-commentary because LGBT characters in games are celebrated by the community, but they can backfire if the character just blurts it out; this other incident for example annoyed LGBT and homophobes alike: https://www.thewrap.com/a-video-game-has-a-transgender-character-and-gamers-went-crazy-commentary/ But yeah as a gay guy myself he's being very explicit and annoyed at your ignorance, later explained by your background as a gym teacher (I.e. why you have trouble processing homoerotic things because of your toxic masculinity skill-set)

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Measurehead owns because his entire reason to live in his mind is to measure peoples heads

Like Harry is constantly on peoples poo poo opening up like tin cans

Nominative determinism

Mr. Dick wonders what the overlap is between people who unironically call for mayocide and people who don't like Measurehead.

thecluckmeme posted:

I'm guessing that it's if you finish a certain sidequest and do poorly at the tribunal?

I might just try that out when I play "Always Be Mething" Harry

Mr. Dick's sure that the red checks aren't determined by die rolls. If you make an attempt to be cool with the Cumo, figure out his story and buy the pants he's selling, that's how the ending shapes up. The global percentage for players earning that achievement is about 1%.

Mr. Dick fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 13, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
To add to my last post, It seems apparent to me that Kim isn't super open about it because homophobia exists in this world (see: Cuno, Measurehead) and he has possibly faced job discrimination over it. Sending him to Harry's case might have been a way for his department to "punish" and sequester him, much like his previous hated undercover assignment. Think about it, his precinct sent him to "go play pinball with little boys" to get him away from them. I've faced job discrimination for being gay and that's the kind of subtle thing you do if you're a bigot boss, send Kim to play with young boys because he's effeminate (and the game's equivalent of Asian, which probably helped him pass as a kid, so that's half discriminatory and half practical) and not necessarily on merit

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also explains why Kim is so eye rolling if you make a fuss over the centrefold posters

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You'll also note If you haven't had a lovely relationship, Kim is downright eager to transfer stations, which might further support that he had some issues back at his precinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Man, what is it about Kim that makes him such a beloved character? I can't remember the last time I played a game and everyone just universally loved the player's partner, or a party member.