Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Would it? Unless you put obvious cunts like Pollard on it then I don't see this being as big of an issue.

Yeah, it says ‘an independent organisation’, it doesn’t say which. Technically the demand would be met by appointing Hamas as the organisation in question (don’t do that).

The general case is that for the Labour Party, it should be the case that levels of racism (and also sexism, transphobia, etc.) that don’t actually literally break the law are nevertheless career ending.
Or, more relevantly, hobby-ending; if someone can be banned from their local warhammer group for being racist, at least the same should be true of the local party.

And it should not be the case that every inter-faction or policy fight should be resolved by trying to end careers or expel members in that way. The A/S issue was not made up by the press out of whole cloth; it had legs because the right of the party was prepared to use it as a weapon, to go on record in the Sun and Times saying there was a problem.

An independent system that can dismiss bogus complaints, and uphold valid ones, without anyone making the decisions knowing or caring whether those involved are members of particular factions is about the only way out of the dilemma. It will presumably be expensive, but it seems worth finding the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I think #2 and #8 are particularly bad, the rest are meh. Maybe #6 too but less so.

e: mind you i'd be fine with the labour left shutting the gently caress up about israel.
yeah they're bad but its not a lot to do with us, atm its comically easy to troll the left into saying dumb poo poo when the correct response is not to touch that with a 10 foot twiglet

Which is all very well until any interviewer asks the question. Which they will, because the know it's a perfect way to derail any leftist who's doing even slightly well in an interview.

AT which point, you can't ignore it, you can't deflect it, you can't dodge it, they will use up every ounce of time available to them re-asking it if you try, hell, they'll use every ounce of time re-asking it even if you give the perfect nuanced two-sentence soundbite answer (that doesn't exist).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

If it's independent then you're giving up the right to decide whether obvious cunts sit on it or not to a third party unaccountable to to NEC or the membership.

Unless you give both the BoD and the NEC veto power in which case nobody sits on the committee.

And the NEC is then condemned for anti-Semitism because it refused to address the problem in an acceptable way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Fast forward to Labour deferring to a beth din of the most Orthodox Jews imaginable, and they're all Third Temple diasporic Jews who regard secular Israel as a traitor state acting against the coming of the Messiah.

I'm not sure the Israeli rabbinate will take the case.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Outsource antisemitism disciplinary matters to Jewdas.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Facehammer posted:

Outsource antisemitism disciplinary matters to Jewdas.

See #8. They got ahead of that. I'd have been cool with 'find the most socialest kibbutz and ask them to take it on'

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

drat. That certainly would have melted some brains.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

Let's face it, it's going to be someone like Keir Starmer is going to be leader, and it's just going to be a matter of time before he gets hit by an antisemitism accusation despite acquiescing and while he'll be shocked we'll be able to enjoy the schadenfreude.

Why, when the majority of the membership delivered Corbyn, twice, in landslides?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

See #8. They got ahead of that. I'd have been cool with 'find the most socialest kibbutz and ask them to take it on'

The vast majority of Kibbutzim have been privatised and make a poo poo ton of money now! :eng101:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Okay, new proposal, all cases to be independently judged by Irving Leonard Finkel, by interpretation of the Code of Ur-Nammu (except the slavery bits). Three kur of barley per antisemitism, welcome to clay court, binches!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

There'll be a time where the party says it's met all the BoD's demands but the BoD disagrees and that'll hit the papers hard.

This is almost certainly going to happen, but I honestly don't know a practical way of avoiding or mitigating it. Particularly on point #2, the independent body, since they can plausibly cause a stink if anyone except themselves is named. The thread's apparently preferred solution of "tell BoD to gently caress off," while totally understandable, doesn't really seem like it would help here.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Okay, new proposal, all cases to be independently judged by Irving Leonard Finkel, by interpretation of the Code of Ur-Nammu (except the slavery bits). Three kur of barley per antisemitism, welcome to clay court, binches!

Is that the new Greggs vegan steak bake he's holding?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/BoardofDeputies/status/1216290591442722816

Some of them are just non-statements, but #2 would be ruinous.

I like 8 personally, and how it low key delineates should is and isn’t allowed to be Jewish representation.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bundy posted:

Why, when the majority of the membership delivered Corbyn, twice, in landslides?

you maybe missed the devastating defeat that happened last month

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Dawn Butler and Rosena Allin-Khan have both got enough nominations for Deputy now.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Miftan posted:

Ahem, Greggs *Kosher* steak bake goyim

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Which is all very well until any interviewer asks the question. Which they will, because the know it's a perfect way to derail any leftist who's doing even slightly well in an interview.

AT which point, you can't ignore it, you can't deflect it, you can't dodge it, they will use up every ounce of time available to them re-asking it if you try, hell, they'll use every ounce of time re-asking it even if you give the perfect nuanced two-sentence soundbite answer (that doesn't exist).

of course you can dodge and deflect it, thats what politicians do. just say you support a 2 state or 1 state solution and you hope the people of the region can come together

you just have to not actually go "well israel is a racist apartheid state" because while true its a very controversial thing to say for no gain at all

e: fwiw youd still end up getting the BoD or whatever on your rear end but thered be a gently caress of a lot less oxygen for the news trashfire

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

you maybe missed the devastating defeat that happened last month

Oh, did all the left leaning members leave the party en masse December 13th?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bundy posted:

we will see how present and united the left vote are pretty soon

but its silly to expect the vote will be as lockstep as it was 3 years ago :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Kinda want to know Piers Morgan's opinion on cuneiform tablets now.

(I do not want to know Piers Morgan's opinion on anything, but it'd be more interesting than his usual mouth sharts.)

Lightning Knight posted:

I like 8 personally, and how it low key delineates should is and isn’t allowed to be Jewish representation.
It's specifically to shut out not only groups that most Jews would consider fringe/'wacky' like Jewdas but also mainstream Jewish caucuses like Jewish Voice for Labour.

They've made that transparently obvious by saying that JLM must be consulted in #7, apparently they are not fringe despite being a relatively new restructuring, and having more of a focus on support for Israel rather than JVL's criteria of "are you Jewish or close enough that you've been affected by antisemitism?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

floofyscorp posted:

Dawn Butler and Rosena Allin-Khan have both got enough nominations for Deputy now.

gently caress yes, can't wait to slam a vote down for Butler

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

There'll be a time where the party says it's met all the BoD's demands but the BoD disagrees and that'll hit the papers hard.

And that time will be just at the beginning of the campaign season for the locals in May.

A bigger cynic than me might suggest it may also happen a week or so before the next time Israel decides to kill a bunch of civilians because the ebbs and flows of this story seem to match up nicely with that, starting with the Gaza border protests in 2018, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence (because you can match almost anything up with that, because they do it so loving often)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

we will see how present and united the left vote are pretty soon

but its silly to expect the vote will be as lockstep as it was 3 years ago :shrug:

More or less silly than just declaring it a given that Starmer is leader in waiting?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bundy posted:

More or less silly than just declaring it a given that Starmer is leader in waiting?

i don't really have a strong prediction of who is likely to win
but I do think the corbyny membership uniting behind RLB with a corbyn style mandate isn't a given. there seems to be considerably less enthusiasm for her than there was for him in 2015/7, due to a number of factors whether theyr to do with her as a candidate or just general low morale.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bundy posted:

Nominations aren't even closed yet, and Andy Burnham was leader in waiting at this point in 2015. It's pointless to try and predict how this election will go with so much still to play for.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

i don't really have a strong prediction of who is likely to win
but I do think the corbyny membership uniting behind RLB with a corbyn style mandate isn't a given. there seems to be considerably less enthusiasm for her than there was for him in 2015/7, due to a number of factors whether theyr to do with her as a candidate or just general low morale.

The enthusiasm for Corbyn didn't exist at this point in 2015 either. However, I doubt RLB is going to storm the hustings in quite the same way as Corbyn did, if only because the candidates have all presumably learned the lesson of that campaign and are going to at least attempt to sound like they have solid convictions rather than being Markov bots trained on Davos speeches and think-tank papers.

I don't think any candidate has anything like the votes for a first-round win, which should be a big concern for RLB in particular - it's very unlikely she'll pick up many second or third choices IMO because the right of the party are likely to throw themselves behind Jessflaps or Starmer and you're likely to see them campaigning strongly on "Anyone but RLB" towards the end of the campaign.

e: I realise I said in literally the post above that it's pointless to predict how the election will go but I mean in terms of overall winner, I don't think it's particularly controversial or outlandish to say that the above is likely to happen.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 13, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The enthusiasm for Corbyn didn't exist at this point in 2015 either. However, I doubt RLB is going to storm the hustings in quite the same way as Corbyn did, if only because the candidates have all presumably learned the lesson of that campaign and are going to at least attempt to sound like they have solid convictions rather than being Markov bots trained on Davos speeches and think-tank papers.

I don't think any candidate has anything like the votes for a first-round win, which should be a big concern for RLB in particular - it's very unlikely she'll pick up many second or third choices IMO because the right of the party are likely to throw themselves behind Jessflaps or Starmer and you're likely to see them campaigning strongly on "Anyone but RLB" towards the end of the campaign.

e: I realise I said in literally the post above that it's pointless to predict how the election will go but I mean in terms of overall winner, I don't think it's particularly controversial or outlandish to say that the above is likely to happen.

Actually, what is the timeline here? Is the date even fixed yet?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

Actually, what is the timeline here? Is the date even fixed yet?

https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/LE20-Procedures-and-Timetabale.pdf

(the typo in the filename is pretty lol)

code:
DATE EVENT
Mon 6 Jan NEC Meeting – timetable agreed and published.
Tue 7 Jan PLP and EPLP nominations open and Leader hustings
Wed 8 Jan PLP and EPLP hustings – Deputy Leader
Monday 13 Jan (2.30
pm)
PLP and EPLP nominations close
Tuesday 14 Jan (1pm) Deadline for validly nominated candidates to consent to
nomination and submit statements for circulation to CLPs and
affiliates
Tuesday 14 Jan (5pm) Registered supporters applications open
Thursday 16 Jan (5pm) Registered supporters applications close.
Wed 15 Jan Open of CLP and affiliate nominations
Mon 20 Jan (5pm) Freeze date for membership and supporter eligibility.
Mon 3 Feb Last day for affiliates to send over new and updated affiliated
supporter lists.
Fri 14 Feb Close of CLP and affiliate nominations and last day for
membership to be in full compliance (including full payment of
arrears).
Fri 21 Feb Ballot Opens
Fri 27 March Last date for postal ballot reissues
Mon 30 March Last date for email ballot reissues
Thu 2 April (Noon) Ballot Closes
Sat 4 April Special Conference to announce results

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Bundy posted:

pretty sure a lot of them are going to be cutting up their membership cards over the BoD thing yeah

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Thornberry has made it over the line.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I have an idea but it'd mean Emily Thornberry willingly ending her career.

She should go loud against the BoD and be as virulently anti Israel as possible to then be dismissed by whoever wins as a result of their apparent compliance with the BoD terms.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I have an idea but it'd mean Emily Thornberry willingly ending her career.

She should go loud against the BoD and be as virulently anti Israel as possible to then be dismissed by whoever wins as a result of their apparent compliance with the BoD terms.

She's unequivocally accepted all the conditions.

I'm waiting to see what Clive Lewis does.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm waiting to see what Clive Lewis does.

He's withdrawn.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
oh well enjoy New Labour 2.0 I guess

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

If there a summary of leaders and deputies from most to least Correct? I think I have my first picks down, but not so sure who to put for second, third, etc preferences.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

He's withdrawn.

Oh I missed that.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So Labour is going to vacillate back to the right with Starmer and we'll have to fight to get a new Corbyn in yet again? It's almost a worse case scenario that Starmer wins a GE in 2024 and we go at least 9 years without a real left-wing voice.

I don't mind Starmer to be honest so it's hard to hate on him but in an ideal world he would be the leader of a sane version of the Tory party instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

team overhead smash posted:

If there a summary of leaders and deputies from most to least Correct? I think I have my first picks down, but not so sure who to put for second, third, etc preferences.
Leader:
  1. Rebecca Long-Bailey
  2. Emily Thornberry
  3. Lisa Nandy
  4. Keir Starmer

Deputy Leader:
  1. Dawn Butler
  2. Angela Rayner
  3. Rosena Allin Khan
  4. Richard Burgon

Jess Phillips:

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/07/labour-leadership-where-do-the-candidates-stand

I'm breaking my post-election ban on politics posting to say is this peak guardian to have "view of corbynism" next to the candidates.
Can't they just leave the boy in peace :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Really impressive how many people in this thread have the powers of prognostication and already know the result of the Labour leader race!