Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

LifeLynx posted:

He won't even participate in the Seder properly; they literally "pass over" him in the Seder reading until someone notices, don't they?

I don't think anyone missed him. Rather, Arno skipped Howard because Arno was refusing to talk to him. Such that I remember it, Gooey caught it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think anyone missed him. Rather, Arno skipped Howard because Arno was refusing to talk to him. Such that I remember it, Gooey caught it immediately.

Oh yeah. He gets weird about reading the Hebrew though, right?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

LifeLynx posted:

One thing before I go off: 106.7 on Long Island is and I believe never was The Rock; that's 94.3.

The classic rock station is Q104.3; you are possibly thinking of the late 92.3 KRock, but that was long gone by 2012.

Regardless, they were clearly going for Q104, and didn’t want to deal with using the trademark for whatever reason.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Oh yeah. He gets weird about reading the Hebrew though, right?

I don't remember him being weird about it. He does the English reading while his mother-in-law(?) does the Hebrew. I don't have much seder experience but not everyone at the table necessarily understands Hebrew so someone doing a translation seems normal.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

The classic rock station is Q104.3; you are possibly thinking of the late 92.3 KRock, but that was long gone by 2012.

Regardless, they were clearly going for Q104, and didn’t want to deal with using the trademark for whatever reason.

You're right, I was coming back here to correct that. Man I haven't listened to FM radio in so long.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't remember him being weird about it. He does the English reading while his mother-in-law(?) does the Hebrew. I don't have much seder experience but not everyone at the table necessarily understands Hebrew so someone doing a translation seems normal.

There are a few maybes that you can take away from that, I guess. Maybe his parents don't know he can't read the Hebrew. Maybe it represents a slight alienation of him from his families and commitments. But yeah, I'm used to everyone just saying the plagues in whichever language they feel like.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
https://twitter.com/TheLonelyPhoton/status/1214633003160416256?s=20

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's an easter egg/reference to Magic 106.7, the Boston radio station Oneohtrix Point Never is named after

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Wait was the radio station called The Rock? If so, that's funny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

It's an easter egg/reference to Magic 106.7, the Boston radio station Oneohtrix Point Never is named after

hahah now I'm gonna think his name like the station used to say theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNG5gJByUu4&t=14s

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just saw this tonight. Wasn’t sure what to make of it at first. I think I was looking for something with a bit more overt commentary or theme but once I let go of that notion I kinda just gave into the ride. And what a ride it is - I think it works best to just let this movie stick you with Howard and force you to live a few days of his life. You get the sense that his entire adult life has been like this and how tiring it would be for a regular person to live like him. The constant plate spinning, the looking for angles and pushing all in at every possible opportunity - it would drive most people insane but there is a certain type that thrives on it. Doesn’t care at all about the money, he has a beautiful house, an apartment in the city, a family that he could just settle down with if he could just sit still, but none of that is really what drives him. For him it’s about the plate spinning and the death defying high wire act, it’s his one speed.

Loved the scene where his wife just straight up tells him he’s the most annoying person she’s ever known. Loved Kevin Garnett’s performance. Loved Lakeith Stanfield too, but he’s always great. Thought the ending was a little too...”welp,” I guess, for a lack of a better way of putting it. It felt sorta perfunctory and inevitable but it was also kinda the least interesting way of ending the movie? I’ll have to sit on it a bit. Anyway overall I think I liked it, at least I’m glad I saw it.

E: the camerawork and cinematography in this is incredible too. Loved the lens choices, tons of deep focus almost telephoto lenses used in interesting ways. Very claustrophobia and anxiety-inducing.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 9, 2020

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Man this movie was a trip. I was actually less stressed out than I expected I would be but it was maybe because so many folks were telling me how stressful it would be. Maybe it’s just the nature of the “stress”

the tension isn’t on this or that bet or gambit on Howard’s part, but how he consistently turns his back on each opportunity he has to make it back to 0 and wipe away his gambling debts.

The best thing I can say about the film is I found it cathartic when the protagonist was suddenly killed. He puts himself, everyone he cares about, and the audience in so much unnecessary danger that the only way any of us find any relief is when he’s dead.

Don’t gently caress with the muscle, kids.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/BrockBaker/status/1215704192955772928

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Found my new ringtone

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Here's an good interview with OPN on the score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIAvmtNIx9I

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

HorseRenoir posted:

Here's an good interview with OPN on the score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIAvmtNIx9I

I came here to post this, it's great. Now I want a Moog One for those beautiful flute/mellotron sounds, and the thick filtered pads are incredibly lush. They said Vangelis improv videos were the inpsiration behind a few cues and the title track is basically these synth patches and almost the same licks at times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdTmT3wVBxM. I've basically been listening to the soundtrack like every day, it's great.

Also I think the scene where Howard is video chatting with his son and showing him the Celtics ring like minutes after he gets it, and then basically the minute he hangs up he goes and pawns it is a really great scene that to me as someone who's not a gambling addict and gambling is like the last thing I'd ever want to do, it's an incredibly relatable scene and it was moments like that that conveyed the familiar feeling of having a sort of double life that engaging in addictive behaviors engenders, whether it's drugs or whatever, and it's the sort of understated moments like that that made Howard likable to me. There's obviously that first scene at the apartment where Howard cuddles with Julia, which I thought was good too, because Julia Fox is great as that character as well, but it's also understated and feels like the rest of the film despite being a tropey setup for similar scenes in movies where they show someone cheating on their wife with a younger woman.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 12, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Zero Oscar noms. Let’s see if Sandler commits to his threat to make the worst movie of all time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Zero Oscar noms. Let’s see if Sandler commits to his threat to make the worst movie of all time.

That’s hosed. They deserved to be nominated in all of the big categories (actor, supporting actor, supporting actress, screenplay, movie of the year.), but I can’t understand how Sandler doesn’t get a nod.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

What the gently caress

Not even for Sound Editing or Mixing. Suck my entire rear end in a top hat Hollywood Hit Machine

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

This does not bode well for the production of Grown Ups 3.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Academy has denied us Kevin Garnett at the Oscars

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Joker got 11 nominations lmao

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Boywhiz88 posted:

That’s hosed. They deserved to be nominated in all of the big categories (actor, supporting actor, supporting actress, screenplay, movie of the year.), but I can’t understand how Sandler doesn’t get a nod.

Don't forget Soundtrack!! OPN killed it for this movie

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

The academy awards can kiss my full rear end!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Considering some of the things he's released, I can't imagine what he's holding back.

Edit: Oh God! He can make an Uncut Gems sequel in his usual style.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I would redirect my anger towards bad films such as marriage story and 1917. And hell ford v Ferrari and little women as well

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Joker should not have 11 Oscar nominations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Don't forget Soundtrack!! OPN killed it for this movie

Very true. I was just naming stuff off-hand. But yeah, the soundtrack loving ruled. Lots of great technical work WRT editing, sound mixing, etc.

And Joker got 11? Get the gently caress out of here. Didn’t Return of the King get like 13-16 noms?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can only imagine Joker appealed to old rear end voters who remembered NYC in the 80s and still has fantasies of killing them all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Very true. I was just naming stuff off-hand. But yeah, the soundtrack loving ruled. Lots of great technical work WRT editing, sound mixing, etc.

And Joker got 11? Get the gently caress out of here. Didn’t Return of the King get like 13-16 noms?

I believe went 13 for 13.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/ericbogosian/status/1216743365087236097?s=19

https://twitter.com/AdamSandler/status/1216750665923325952?s=19

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 13, 2020

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I would redirect my anger towards bad films such as marriage story and 1917. And hell ford v Ferrari and little women as well

Ummm, what the gently caress?? Granted I haven't seen 1917 or Ford but Little Women and Marriage Story are goddamn amazing.

Also this is some straight bullshit that Uncut Gems got shafted. gently caress the Oscars.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Human Crouton posted:

Edit: Oh God! He can make an Uncut Gems sequel in his usual style.

If the movie were exactly the same, except Sandler did his talk like a baby ba-ba-da-dooh-dah schtick, I would watch the gently caress out of that.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I saw this on Saturday. I was really looking forward to be stressed as hell (I loved Good Time because I felt like that was a 2 hour panic attack) but Sandler was too funny and any tension in the film was lost because the audience was constantly laughing at pretty much everything. I dunno if the audience didn't get it or I was expecting the wrong thing, but I found it a bit disappointing.

I enjoyed it and I can tell it was a really, really good film, but I just kinda felt nothing :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

toiletbrush posted:

I saw this on Saturday. I was really looking forward to be stressed as hell (I loved Good Time because I felt like that was a 2 hour panic attack) but Sandler was too funny and any tension in the film was lost because the audience was constantly laughing at pretty much everything. I dunno if the audience didn't get it or I was expecting the wrong thing, but I found it a bit disappointing.

I enjoyed it and I can tell it was a really, really good film, but I just kinda felt nothing :(

Did you walk into a screening of Happy Gilmore by accident?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's a pretty funny movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There weren't that many laugh out loud moments though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I had a few HAH! moments but nothing where I was guffawing or laughing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

toiletbrush posted:

the audience was constantly laughing at pretty much everything.

What weird psycho city do you live in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
The audience was properly laughing out loud at just about anything Sandler said, especially the part where he was crying about nothing working out.

I think most people in the audience thought it was Adam Sandler's latest comedy instead of just a film with him in it, and it totally reframed the whole movie for them. I wanted to get drawn into his horrible world of poo poo but it was impossible with everyone guffawing all the time. Even the bit where howard gets shot in the face the whole audience gasped but it was more like 'whoa this movies gotten serious all of a sudden lol' rather than it being some sort of cathartic and horrible but kind of inevitable conclusion.

I saw it in London, perhaps everyone was just happy to be distracted from Brexit.