Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm trying to get back into the Arkham Horror LCG but I'm looking at Marvel Champions and am seriously tempted. Arkham Horror's great, but all the campaign management and swapping cards between scenarios (upgrades and such) is kinda a bear, and the idea of just slapping down a couple decks and having some good cardplay in that style with less commitment sounds nice.

NRVNQSR posted:

Pretty much what you'd expect: SI is more elegant and drier with better balance and more options for difficulty tuning. SM has way more stuff and leans much more into its flavor.

I was gonna write up a longer post on Spirit Island vs Street Masters (I've gotten both to the table a good number of times), and this is probably the best comparison point of the two.

SI is a super clean, well designed puzzle with some decent theming (some of the spirits have some hilarious innates), but SM just has tons of flare and so many things in the box that it ended up getting to the table a bunch purely based around that fact alone.

Not that SM is bad, but it sure is a mess. One map had two of us changing how the minions worked around objectives four times (and almost one more where we went back to one of the earlier rulings) because of how unclear the map scenario cards were. It also can go on for hooouuuurrs: I wrote a previous post about how the number of raw things happening scales superlinearly with the number of players, and 4P is a slog.

But man, the theme is great, and it just pops out on the table so well that for some reason we kinda love it anyway.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I'll cast a vote against Journeys in Middle Earth. I had a post about it a while back if you check my history, but the short version is that it's an FFG app game where they botched the design something fierce. The app holds all the meaningful information and the board is this weird basically vestigial thing, which leads to everyone staring at a computer screen. There are also very few interesting decisions to make.

Ugh, I was really excited for this when I saw it was kinda just Runebound 4E in some ways, but drat that app is awful. I'm sure it's great with 1 or 2 players, but with 5 (which I played it with), it was just friggin' horrible to even try and understand the board state or what any of us should even be focusing on. The game punishes you for futzing around a bunch, but avoiding that means passing around an iPad everywhere constantly to even coordinate basic efforts on a single turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Marvel Champions is great so far, but FFG is really testing my patience with the shortage on expansion packs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played Western Legends last night and it was fun enough I guess. Not a huge amount of a game to it and pretty vague rule book meant we did a bunch of things wrong*. I'm going to say it's not a great game overall but for a bit of casual fun? It's ok.

*Some things we did wrong seem just better than the actual rules.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 13, 2020

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Reynold posted:

Star Realms looks like a decent deckbuilder. I like having the option for coop as well as pvp modes, and expandability up to 6 players is great too, since that's my usual group size. My issue is I don't know where to begin, since there's so much stuff. TELL ME WHAT TO BUY.

Alternately, if there is a similar deckbuilder (expandable, coop), what else is out there?

Star Realms is real good. Start with Frontiers and go from there if you're interested in co-op. Bases/Battleships & Fleets/Fortresses are good additions if you can find them.

Another good co-op deckbuilder is Aeon's End. It's not everyone's jam but I enjoy it quite a bit (with the right group.O) If you have an alpha player, AE is definitely "quarterbackable" which can cause problems, but that's an issue with many co-ops.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Codeacious posted:

SI is a super clean, well designed puzzle with some decent theming (some of the spirits have some hilarious innates)

I feel like Spirit Island's theme must be subjective, because to me it has one of the best, most unique themes in any board game I've ever played; with great theme/mechanic integration as well.

Though, if you aren't sick of colonialism-themed board games it probably doesn't resonate as much.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Lord Of Texas posted:

I feel like Spirit Island's theme must be subjective, because to me it has one of the best, most unique themes in any board game I've ever played; with great theme/mechanic integration as well.

Though, if you aren't sick of colonialism-themed board games it probably doesn't resonate as much.

Spirit Island also is one of the few games I've ever seen to integrate the theme into the components, and for that I will love it forever and ever. It's so clever and straightforward it's no wonder I'd never seen it before. Got me thinkin', it did.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Casnorf posted:

Spirit Island also is one of the few games I've ever seen to integrate the theme into the components, and for that I will love it forever and ever. It's so clever and straightforward it's no wonder I'd never seen it before. Got me thinkin', it did.

Elaborate? I've never played SI but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pierzak posted:

All the tokens related to the island, like spirit presence and dahan, are made of wood. All the invader pieces are white plastic, and blight is grey plastic.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

All the tokens related to the island, like spirit presence and dahan, are made of wood. All the invader pieces are white plastic, and blight is grey plastic.
As in a metaphor for lovely unpainted plastic invading "our comfy home of wooden meeples"? I noticed that one and loved it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Whoops wrong thread, sprit island is great

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Spirit Island is great but whenever I play it my friends yell at me and claim its my fault there's so much blight.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

M a x posted:

Spirit Island is great but whenever I play it my friends yell at me and claim its my fault there's so much blight.

Play as Heart of the Wildfire and say you can't help it :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

M a x posted:

Stop letting the bad guys blight everything, obviously.

My only complaint with Spirit Island is the explorer pieces being so delicate. I'd rather a simpler representation, like a thin column (with a base so it doesn't fall, obvs) that is still recognizable at a glance. Having all these tiny little edges and bits make them a small annoyance to manage.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I appreciate all the recommendations and really appreciate being warned off Journeys.

It hadn’t occurred to me to jump back into Arkham Horror; I think I used to have second edition, but it was a seriously cumbersome experience every time we played. Also, there’s not actually a proper campaign, right?

Jaws of Lion does indeed sound perfect, but I guess it has to wait.

How do the Plaid Hat games like Gen7 and Comanauts hold up? Most of the reviews seem lukewarm, but I also feel like we are pretty forgiving players.

As for Star Realms chat, I’ve only ever played the digital version, but I always enjoyed it. I considered buying a few physical packs now and again, but what about Hero Realms? Did it ever develop properly into its own thing, or is it just fantasy Star Realms?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

All of the reviews I've seen about Gen7 have been quite negative, even for the usually positive reviewers. Haven't played it myself though.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Pierzak posted:

Everything bad for the island is plastic. Everything good for you and the island is wood.

Its so simple it's no wonder.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lord Of Texas posted:

I've heard the same complaint before. To be fair a lot of the gameplay is fairly abstract and most powers just boil down to generic interchangeable effects. Different push powers may have wide-ranging thematic flavor but they generally do the same thing and rarely have any noticeable thematic wrinkles; ditto damage powers, defend powers, etc. More of the theme comes through in spirit design but most of the spirits in the base game (and the recommended starter spirits in particular) are pretty basic and don't get super deep with their mechanical themes--not every spirit is Ocean or Wildfire.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Minus1Minus1 posted:

It hadn’t occurred to me to jump back into Arkham Horror; I think I used to have second edition, but it was a seriously cumbersome experience every time we played. Also, there’s not actually a proper campaign, right?

I'd recommend for anyone who liked Arkham 2e to just play Eldritch Horror instead. It's a reimplementation that keeps most of the same basic gameplay but streamlines a lot of what made the original so fiddly: no monster movement phase, decks for each individual space have been consolidated into one deck per region (with three events printed on one card), usually up to one expansion board depending on the Old One, money replaced with a resources roll, etc etc.

There's a campaign mode introduced with the latest (last?) expansion, Masks of Nyarlathotep, but it assumes you have access to other expansions for their Prelude cards, and feels kind of tacked on. You use the previous Old One's Prelude along with the current one's, or something like that, and just carry over investigators and possessions.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Tekopo posted:

All of the reviews I've seen about Gen7 have been quite negative, even for the usually positive reviewers. Haven't played it myself though.

I want somebody to design the game that SUSD described Gen7 as when they first heard of it. It sounded great.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Played The Isle of Cats over the weekend after the KS delivered last week.

It's got polyomino tile (cat) placement, with a random selection of available cats and everyone competing over who gets to pick first. Combine that with card drafting, and the cards power all the actions you do each turn, including grabbing cats and setting private and public scoring goals. Everyone gets 20 fish each turn that are used for buying the cards you draft and also for catching/rescuing cats. You don't have to buy/use every card you draft so there's plenty of room for hate-drafting. Everything carries over from turn to turn, so even if you get a bad draft, you can save up fish and cards for a future big turn.

It's a basket of cats fun with lots of room for strategy, solidly in the mid-weight range for a polyomino game, and with more player interaction than you might expect. And the cat tiles and meeples are fantastic.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chubbs posted:

Played The Isle of Cats over the weekend after the KS delivered last week.

It's got polyomino tile (cat) placement, with a random selection of available cats and everyone competing over who gets to pick first. Combine that with card drafting, and the cards power all the actions you do each turn, including grabbing cats and setting private and public scoring goals. Everyone gets 20 fish each turn that are used for buying the cards you draft and also for catching/rescuing cats. You don't have to buy/use every card you draft so there's plenty of room for hate-drafting. Everything carries over from turn to turn, so even if you get a bad draft, you can save up fish and cards for a future big turn.

It's a basket of cats fun with lots of room for strategy, solidly in the mid-weight range for a polyomino game, and with more player interaction than you might expect. And the cat tiles and meeples are fantastic.

This sounds adorable and full of things I like. How many players did you play with?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just ordered a 3d printer and printing new explorers is going to go on my list of things to make :woop: I wonder if anyone has already designed some? How should they look if I have to design my own?

Spirit Island is also going to be the first game that gets a new 3d printed internal organizer.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I actually took out the insert for Spirit Island and just use the 3601 plano box and 2 deck boxes for the cards. There is a slight lid lift with the expansion and the promo spirit but it is level and works better than the original insert for set up/break down.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GetDunked posted:

I'd recommend for anyone who liked Arkham 2e to just play Eldritch Horror instead. It's a reimplementation that keeps most of the same basic gameplay but streamlines a lot of what made the original so fiddly: no monster movement phase, decks for each individual space have been consolidated into one deck per region (with three events printed on one card), usually up to one expansion board depending on the Old One, money replaced with a resources roll, etc etc.

There's a campaign mode introduced with the latest (last?) expansion, Masks of Nyarlathotep, but it assumes you have access to other expansions for their Prelude cards, and feels kind of tacked on. You use the previous Old One's Prelude along with the current one's, or something like that, and just carry over investigators and possessions.

arkham horror 2e isn't great, and Eldritch Horror is a superior game, if you absolutely want the street level arkham, 3e combines elements of both eldritch horror and the arkham horror card game and is flatly superior to 2e, with a smaller table footprint. the game playthrough is more structured with specific card series telling a story as you progress through it (Similar to the card game), and each setup utilizes specific monsters instead of a cup. it cribbed the monster engagement mechanic from the Arkham Card game, and also pulled the classes style from it as well

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 13, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wish the Arkham card game were more convenient to get and play because what I played of it, I really enjoyed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sloober posted:

arkham horror 2e isn't great, and Eldritch Horror is a superior game, if you absolutely want the street level arkham, 3e combines elements of both eldritch horror and the arkham horror card game and is flatly superior to 2e, with a smaller table footprint. the game playthrough is more structured with specific card series telling a story as you progress through it (Similar to the card game), and each setup utilizes specific monsters instead of a cup. it cribbed the monster engagement mechanic from the Arkham Card game, and also pulled the classes style from it as well

Arkham 3rd is good. Like Eldritch Horror it condenses the decks into per-area instead of per-space and just generally has a lot of streamlined stuff. The smaller table footprint is no joke, either - I played a two-handed solo game on a folding card table and still had room for rulebooks and a drink.

GrandpaPants posted:

I wish the Arkham card game were more convenient to get and play because what I played of it, I really enjoyed.

The "Return to *" campaign boxes have been an absolute godsend for me in the AH LCG - sorting and storing encounter cards before those nice folio boxes with dividers was absolute madness. With them, I can set up and play any given scenario (well, from Carcosa, Dunwich or the core) in minutes flat.

As for player decks you really just need to have a good alphabetical organization system and either only play one campaign at a time, or break down your decks and save them on arkhamdb in between games.

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Played Rising Sun over the weekend and got stomped again, but at least didn't waste quite as much time dithering about this time. Felt I should have had an advantage being the only person playing the same clan as our first play through, but if I did it certainly didn't come through. Good game though, doesn't out stay its welcome!

Played Tapestry next. Fun enough, played very carefully and slowly as Entertainers. Trekked my way up Military since it seemed the one people were least likely go meaningfully contest and with careful house placement by the end game I knew I could catch the person way out in the lead with my final income. Then I hit the top of the red track and flipped Futurists. Needless to say, I did more than catching him; is that society/class completely borked by any chance? Also trying to topple through expansion when everyone in the game seemed to get at least two trap cards in hand makes that game plan seem kinda... bad.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A good board gaming weekend for me. Played Whitehall Mystery and Star Wars Outer Rim.

Whitehall Mystery is so great. The tension when the investigators get on Jack's trail and start closing in is excellent. I love when a good investigator team gets a good spread and forces Jack into desperate moves. I was playing as Jack, and got caught at the third discovery site. I was so close to getting away with it!

Outer Rim was fun. It uses X-Wing d8s. Played with 2 new players, and one of the guys consistently whiffed a dice roll at the beginning (that he had a 75% chance of success on) 5 turns in a row. A 0.01% outlier. The die roll that ended up winning him the game was in a ship combat, where he rolled 2 dice vs the other ship's 5 dice. He rolled a single success, and they rolled zero successes :xcom:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wavelength is up on Amazon for anyone waiting. Fantastic party game.

https://www.amazon.com/Monikers-WAV01-Wavelength/dp/B07T446163/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's been no news on the potential Gaia Project app since mid last year, right? I'm still torn on whether I should get the tm app to play against ai or keep waiting...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

There's been no news on the potential Gaia Project app since mid last year, right? I'm still torn on whether I should get the tm app to play against ai or keep waiting...

I just tweeted Digidice to ask about any updates, but last I heard it was still down the pipeline after everything else in their plans.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
So it looks like the Oath Kickstarter is going live tomorrow. I'm really interested to see what it will be like and how it stacks up compared to Pax Pam and JoCo. I don't have enough time as it is really so probably shouldn't buy all three so I may have some tough choices to make.

I'm going to end up buying all three aren't I? :ohdear:

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Re: Isle of Cats

FulsomFrank posted:

This sounds adorable and full of things I like. How many players did you play with?

4 players. I think it took us about 2.5 - 3 hrs, but that was partly due to us all being drunk and/or high and me having to teach the game after scrambling to learn it the night before.

FYI there's an expansion that brings it up to 6.

I think it should be hitting retail sometime soon. KS deliveries are still underway.

Pic for funsies

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I saw a copy of Gen7 at a store for 50% off (so, $45 CAD or so), and poo poo I was tempted as hell to get it. If nothing else I know at least one friend with her own group of gamers who would probably really enjoy it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Redundant posted:

So it looks like the Oath Kickstarter is going live tomorrow. I'm really interested to see what it will be like and how it stacks up compared to Pax Pam and JoCo. I don't have enough time as it is really so probably shouldn't buy all three so I may have some tough choices to make.

We were talking in Discord and someone mentioned Cole described it as Pax Pamir meets Inis.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

We were talking in Discord and someone mentioned Cole described it as Pax Pamir meets Inis.

For God's sake Cole, I was already going to back it on your name alone you don't need to keep selling it so much! You won a long time ago!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Bottom Liner posted:

Two games I've wanted to play/own for a while rolled into one you say? And by a designer I think is great? That sounds amazing. I am going to be so very, very poor because of Cole.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Redundant posted:

I think I'm going to end up with all 3 too. Do we have any inkling on pricing?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oath is $90 + shipping and 2021 delivery. That includes the neoprene mat and game journal to document what happens from game to game and a ton of printed meeples and cards. I'd prefer just a normal board and no book for $60-70, might just preorder a retail copy without the book for ~$75 or whatever it ends up being.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Oath is $90 + shipping and 2021 delivery. That includes the neoprene mat and game journal to document what happens from game to game and a ton of printed meeples and cards. I'd prefer just a normal board and no book for $60-70, might just preorder a retail copy without the book for ~$75 or whatever it ends up being.

Yeah, the leaked was $90 + $10us shipping.

It comes with metal coins as a bonus and probably resin magic counters (A $30 value!). The coins are supposed to be larger and thicker than normal game coins, and have edges so they're easily stackable.

And yeah, it's pax's shifting loyalties and cards with Inis's locations people share/take/occupy for powers. It takes about an hour per game, and the ending of one game affects how the next game is played (cards unlock, cards age out of the deck, locations get more cards if the capital grows, or new locations become the capital and the existing map shrinks down, etc)

It sounds amazing, and with a certain way to collect the cards and lay them out, setup is supposedly only three minutes.