Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rhyno posted:

Vic Fontaine is the goddamned worst and that opinion is what eventually drove me from the old Trek thread.

Hey when you've got to make 26 episodes on a 90s TV budget you get a LOT of filler. My only point is you can do something interesting with any crap character if you've got a story worth telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rhyno posted:

Vic Fontaine is the goddamned worst and that opinion is what eventually drove me from the old Trek thread.

Dick Fountain is the ultimate progression of what started with Section 31. He is, incarnate, the writer's boredom with their subject and their disdain for continuing to work within the universe of Star Trek. The result of people staying in a franchise long past the point of spinning a wheel to choose plot elements.

Like S-31, he embodies a kind of contempt for Trek every bit as bad as the Abrams/Kurtzman action above all school of pew pew.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 12, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am thankful for period piece time travel Trek episodes. I was invited to a stupid 20's themed party for NYE and I fully intended to wear a Trek uniform but it wasn't going to arrive in time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lizard Combatant posted:

I honestly don't remember her appearance on DS9, I think I must have instinctively skipped it on the rewatch. Guess I'll have to check it out if I want my takes to be on point.

She's mostly in the B plots. She realizes she can't hear Odo's thoughts or emotions at all, so she develops a crush on him. Then she does some sexual harassment that would be super creepy if she was a dude, but since she's an old lady it's hilarious.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Like S-31, he embodies a kind of contempt for Trek every bit as bad as the Abrams/Kurtzman action above all school of pew pew.

Abrams, Kurtzman & Co embody a contempt for the notion of story itself though. It's hard to think of a group that have made a worse contribution to film and television.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s just been a really depressing streak of nihilism in Trek since Enterprise ended. Even when the Disco writers realized that we’d prefer hopeful stories, there was this really sour underpinning of cynicism to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HD DAD posted:

There’s just been a really depressing streak of nihilism in Trek since Enterprise ended. Even when the Disco writers realized that we’d prefer hopeful stories, there was this really sour underpinning of cynicism to it.

Unless Anson Mount was on screen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

She was also atrociously awful as an actress. Every episode with Troi's mum in it has extreme Go Away heat.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Rhyno posted:

She was also atrociously awful as an actress. Every episode with Troi's mum in it has extreme Go Away heat.

STD thread still providing the worst takes, congrats

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When I first watched TNG as it aired, I didn't like Mrs Troi

When I first watched DS9 as it aired, I hated Vic

Times, how they change

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rhyno posted:

Unless Anson Mount was on screen.

I want a supercut of every scene he's in. :swoon:

I honestly don't think I would've made it through s2 if it weren't for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I want a supercut of every scene he's in. :swoon:

I honestly don't think I would've made it through s2 if it weren't for him.

It's incredible how loving GOOD he is in every single scene. When they did the clips of Jeffery Hunter that cuts to Mount and he gives that look right at us... God drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhqZULjMne4

If we never get more of this it will be a crime.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rhyno posted:

It's incredible how loving GOOD he is in every single scene. When they did the clips of Jeffery Hunter that cuts to Mount and he gives that look right at us... God drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhqZULjMne4

If we never get more of this it will be a crime.

I love how cheesy that intro is.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I thought Bruce Greenwood was a great Pike.

Anson Mount is better. I'm someone who wishes Discovery was just set in the 25th century and we were clear of continuity errors and stuff, but I'd love a Pike's Enterprise series with Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn. They're all really good in it. I appreciate that Peck is the weakest, but even he's really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Peck grew on me over the course of the season. Mount had me from the jump though. And when we got over to the Disco Enterprise well, I'm all in on that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vic and Lwaxana rule

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go back to the other thread with your antiquated Trek opinions.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rhyno posted:

are you the Parallax Colony sentry because you are just an adorable gatekeeper :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HD DAD posted:

And a lot of “bad acting” is actually bad direction. You can be a good actor and still be directed into sounded stilted.
And if you doubt this, watch the Star Wars prequels. The whole time you'll be like "but I've seen these people in other films. They're not bad actors. How are they so bad in this?"

Regarde Aduck posted:

Gimmick characters like Q, Vic Fontaine, Luxwana, everything about section 31, exist to keep the absolute worst of the fan base happy.
Q and Lwaxana are great. I barely remember Vic Fontaine so I guess he was fine. Section 31 is a dumb idea that doesn't work in Star Trek.

Rhyno posted:

Peck grew on me over the course of the season. Mount had me from the jump though. And when we got over to the Disco Enterprise well, I'm all in on that.
Spock was good once he actually showed up but we were primed to hate him because of how annoying it had been that the whole show was focused on him when he wasn't there.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Rhyno posted:

lmbo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Section 31 worked in DS9 but it should have stayed there. Like of all the great stuff Ds9 gave Star Trek, that's the one thing they pull from it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing DS9 did with Section 31 is that there was never any equivocation or them being just a shadier part of Starfleet you were uncomfortable with. They were wrong, from day one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 13, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Right. The idea of Starfleet command doing something incredibly shady isn't the problem, evil admirals have been tradition since TOS.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'd love a Pike's Enterprise series with Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn. They're all really good in it. I appreciate that Peck is the weakest, but even he's really good.

I'd be kinda surprised if this doesn't happen eventually, especially since the impression I got from some of the recent Short Treks is they were meant to quietly introduce us to possible new characters on a Pike series. Add Lucero and Sidhu to Pike/Spock/Number One and that's a good chunk of the cast settled right there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

The thing DS9 did with Section 31 is that there was never any equivocation or them being just a shadier part of Starfleet you were uncomfortable with. They were wrong, from day one.

Yea making Section 31 just Starfleet CIA was really bad move. Having them be more akin to like Hydra was way better, as you had no idea what they were really capable of doing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

twistedmentat posted:

Yea making Section 31 just Starfleet CIA was really bad move. Having them be more akin to like Hydra was way better, as you had no idea what they were really capable of doing.

Plus we already have Starfleet Intelligence! They do spy stuff and there's no sign that they are particularly incompetent. We don't need another agency that duplicates their work plus does torture and assassination.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As it was shown in DS9 they didn't even duplicate Starfleet Intelligence's work, they just had access to it and extended it and/or exploited it for their various assassinations and the like.

If I recall correctly, in DS9 they explicitly say that Section 31 has no ships or fleet, stations, resources, advanced tech of their own. It's a network of individuals across existing positions, many very high ranked, collaborating together and spread wide enough that they can exploit all of Starfleet's existing resources to carry out their own plans, arrange for many of the orders or research they need to be carried out seemingly legitimately. It's a conspiracy, not a real agency.

HYDRA hiding inside SHIELD in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a pretty good comparison.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 13, 2020

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Direction, editing, but most importantly... writing.

Yeah I'm not setting foot in there, surprised to see this one still going. What the heck y'all still talking about re discovery?!
Good news, new content:
https://postshowrecaps.com/
Jessica Liese and Mike Bloom at RHAP just released a fun, sometimes goofy podcast recap of this season's Short Treks. Overall they're mostly positive with some quibbles about tribbles 'n' stuff.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Binary Logic posted:

Good news, new content:
https://postshowrecaps.com/
Jessica Liese and Mike Bloom at RHAP just released a fun, sometimes goofy podcast recap of this season's Short Treks. Overall they're mostly positive with some quibbles about tribbles 'n' stuff.

Hey thanks but, uh, no thanks :)

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Real new content news:

We're like a week and a half away from Picard starting!! Seriously, all the arguing about stuff aside, this is an awesome year to be a Star Trek fan. We've got Picard, season three of Discovery, Lower Decks starting at the end of the year, and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Real new content news:

We're like a week and a half away from Picard starting!! Seriously, all the arguing about stuff aside, this is an awesome year to be a Star Trek fan. We've got Picard, season three of Discovery, Lower Decks starting at the end of the year, and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I mean, only if they're good.

When I first watched DS9 I hated Vic. I still hate Vic, but not as much. There's a big difference when you can watch the next episode RIGHT NOW instead of having to wait a week (or more!) and Vic's episodes always felt like such a waste with one or two exceptions. Being able to binge shows changes so much about them.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I think the Section 31 series blasts off this year too.
But this current attitude of having some new Star Trek content on all year round seems overly ambitious.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey thanks but, uh, no thanks :)

Fair enough it's not for everyone. I drive an hour to work 5x week so have plenty of time for podcasts.
And I learned the narrator forn Ephraim and Dot was the punk with a boombox in The Voyage Home.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There may be some cause for optimism for the others, but I just can't see any way the Section 31 series can be a decent bit of Star Trek. Maybe they'll surprise me, but... how? There's no way to do a show where S31 are the protagonists except Hard MenPeople Making Hard Decisions.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 13, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It'll be some moronic fash shite like The Unit but in romper suits.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I still don't think we will ever actually get a Section 31 show.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

I still don't think we will ever actually get a Section 31 show.

Has that Michelle Yeoh spinoff been canceled then?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Well we do have this https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1216516436190826496?s=19

So maybe Pike and....something else. Too many loving shows is what - at least let some come out so if we can see if they're actually good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't do that

Dont give me hope

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they were going to spam four live-action shows couldn't they at least do it in the 26th century or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

If they were going to spam four live-action shows couldn't they at least do it in the 26th century or something.

One of the new shows might be in the 26th century! There is literally no information about them other than the fact that they exist, apparently.