Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BisterdDave posted:

Any game that makes you have "feelings" is award bait obviously.

Does getting mad as hell count?

Because then every game I play qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Wheany posted:

Does getting mad as hell count?

Because then every game I play qualifies.

and the award for Best "loving bullshit!" Moment goes to

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol I've had xboxen since 2001 and am only 104th. Goons are intense.

It's fun watching the numbers go up.

I wonder what the lives are like of the people who have two million plus gamerscore. It can't be any fun to play that much garbage and deal with that much frustration.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

The weirdest part of Gears 5 is that Gears 4, while in no way great, has the bones of a concept for a more fun
main enemy type that could be more dynamic and interesting and nope heres more gears except now with dull open world zones

The open world parts are so incredibly pointless lol. I still enjoy horde though and escape is fun for the ten minutes it takes.

Also goddamn this game crashes a lot

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Award bait lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Naughty Dog managed to put out an entire trilogy and another new title, both brands new series' last gen but can't repeat that because everything takes longer now and will take even longer next gen.

It's gonna be weird to see how the new consoles fill empty space now that they can't include remasters (even Nintendo relies on those.)

last of us remaster was in house, then uncharted 4, uncharted lost legacy, tlou2 and whatever theyre going to call the multiplayer standalone thing.

i mean you can def complain about what theyve spent time on this gen (they wanted to do their own remaster to move their engine from ps3 to ps4 but it clearly ate up a lot of time and they just got bluepoint for uncharted collection) but its basically the same pace, and this entire argument ignores that all the other sony devs struggled with the ps3 hardware and have been pulling way more of their own weight this gen.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fanatic posted:

Playstation's exclusives are literally 15 hour single-player award bait with no replay value so they have plenty of spare time to whinge in this thread.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the classic 15 hour games Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Persona 5 and Yakuza 6

Only Bloodborne is exclusive.

RBX posted:

Gears 5 is an example of so many things.

#1. How to know what a bad developer looks like
#2. When a developer hates its core base and tries to do things to spite them
#3. How to copy Fortnite but very badly
#4. Why you can't just hand off IPs to anybody and just throw years/money at it expecting things to just work

They're pulling a Bungie and adding too many modes which weakens the core experience. Escape is a waste of time and now they have Free-For-All (which was terrible in Judgment) but somehow is actually good and fun in Gears 5. The big problem however is that this is a franchise known for multiplayer and both PvP and horde rely on the same maps, and the game launched with too few maps. They've nailed the movement system, weapon balance is pretty good (but still missing some fun power weapons because ~reasons~) but they diverted resources from making multiplayer maps (this should be their top priority) to make Escape which I think everyone forgot about after day one and now they're using those resources for FFA which is awkward because it's really fun and the maps are great but they've completely forgotten about the core experience and modes it seems. Weird as well because Gears 4 got so much right and proved they knew what they were doing. Well, mostly, the differing weapon tunings for different modes was dumb as hell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Only Bloodborne is exclusive.

Oh word? Horizon on switch is it?
What else is Yakuza 6 out on?

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 13, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh word? Horizon on switch is it?
What else is Yakuza 6 out on?

My bad, there's a bunch of Yakuza games on Steam and there's an article with the publisher saying Yakuza 6 is going there and the Wiki page had it available on Windows too. I can't see Yakuza 6 on Steam but the games have weird names so maybe idk.

Also Horizon is on PC and they just added Uncharted Lost Legacy as well. Persona 5 is on there as well (and PS3). Oh and apparently I was wrong again as well, Bloodborne is on PSNow too so that's available on PC and any other device that has the service as well. They even got The Last of Us on there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Also Horizon is on PC and they just added Uncharted Lost Legacy as well. Persona 5 is on there as well (and PS3). Oh and apparently I was wrong again as well, Bloodborne is on PSNow too so that's available on PC and any other device that has the service as well. They even got The Last of Us on there.

They're not ports. They're being steamed.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They're not exclusive if you don't need the console to play them. It's just the way the industry is going v:shobon:v That and GaaS out the rear end.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

My bad, there's a bunch of Yakuza games on Steam and there's an article with the publisher saying Yakuza 6 is going there and the Wiki page had it available on Windows too. I can't see Yakuza 6 on Steam but the games have weird names so maybe idk.

galaxy brain logic

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

Then by that law then only nintendo has exclusives since you can play all of Xbox One exclusive games on PC. :ironicat:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 13, 2020

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Playstation doesn't have any exclusives

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

galaxy brain logic

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Guillermus posted:

Then by that law then only nintendo has exclusives since you can play all of Xbox One exclusive games on PC. :ironicat:

Basically, yeah. Sony fanboy trolls getting upset over this is pretty sad, though.

"Lol you can play Xbox games on PC! Oh no you can play Sony games as well? This isn't fair! :cry:"

acksplode posted:

Playstation doesn't have any exclusives

I was going to joke about Knack but even that's on there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
out of all of those the only ones actually on now permanently/long term so far are the ps3 version of tlou and bloodborne and if you would like to go try out gun parries on ps now be my guest

its almost like their little side hedge on a 1 million user streaming service puts up relevant exclusives only a while after theyve been out and for a limited period in order to drive people to buy them or to go somewhere where they can play them properly or something... maybe a platform with 100x the market penetration... who can say

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Streaming on any platform is pants:blastu:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

Basically, yeah. Sony fanboy trolls getting upset over this is pretty sad, though.

"Lol you can play Xbox games on PC! Oh no you can play Sony games as well? This isn't fair! :cry:"

I was going to joke about Knack but even that's on there.

lol i had a 360 last gen and i play everything but switch and ps4 exclusives on pc, ill buy whatever platform has stuff on worth playing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I own em all :cheers:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stux posted:

its almost like their little side hedge on a 1 million user streaming service puts up relevant exclusives only a while after theyve been out and for a limited period in order to drive people to buy them or to go somewhere where they can play them properly or something... maybe a platform with 100x the market penetration... who can say

And everyone has a gaming PC with the required specs. Oh, wait...

Actually, that's one of the pretty cool things about PSNow, the PC spec requirements are low as hell and even then you don't need a PC, Sony TVs have the service built-in and others do too, I think?

Can't believe PSNow actually broke people, though. Sheesh. Maybe you shouldn't be so invested in being console warriors :shobon:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Exclusives are consumer unfriendly and anyone who champions them is a weird freak.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Exclusives are fine, imo. The real freaks are the ones with multi-page rap sheets who still feel the need to be shitposting fanboys.

I enjoy my Xbox and my PS4 :shobon:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

And everyone has a gaming PC with the required specs. Oh, wait...

Actually, that's one of the pretty cool things about PSNow, the PC spec requirements are low as hell and even then you don't need a PC, Sony TVs have the service built-in and others do too, I think?

Can't believe PSNow actually broke people, though. Sheesh. Maybe you shouldn't be so invested in being console warriors :shobon:

no they removed it from everything else, currently it only works on ps4, with the option to also download the games instead there, and pc/mac.

ps now is definitely the best of the streaming services just by virute of running a sane data requirement and having a ton of titles on it, but being the best at a service which is fundamentally bad isnt a crowning achievement and it would honestly be better if all of them just died off.

American McGay posted:

Exclusives are consumer unfriendly and anyone who champions them is a weird freak.

i agree, we should ideally have one platform that everything comes out on. we dont though, so which ones are worth picking up are unfortunately determined entirely by their exclusives. we live in a society...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is sunkos another bbg alt account lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

and pc/mac.

They don't have a Mac client for PSNow. So your only options for PS Now are a PS4, and a Windows PC.

For PS4 Remote Play (remoting into your own PS4) you have a few more options: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and PSVita/PSTV.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

BisterdDave posted:

Any game that makes you have "feelings" is award bait obviously.

I think the only thing that made me emotional in a game in the past decade was TLOU when the little kid tosses his transformer because he knows he's been bit and is too scared to tell anyone about it.

I don't even think the story in TLOU is good but that specific segment was really well done.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the only good game released in the past decade was kerbal space program hth

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the only good game released in the past decade was kerbal space program hth
My 5 and 3 year old nephews agree with this post.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

American McGay posted:

Microsoft is the only honorable company because they bait these disgusting studios who are willing to make exclusives and then punish them by shorting them on payment, dicking them around during development, making trailers on their own showing features that don't exist or just forcing them to do nothing until they die on the vine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

I like when they show the full power of a console like sotc on a ps2 or uc3 on ps3 have mind bending visuals for their hardware that 3rd party wont deliver

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Speaking of devs that Microsoft screwed over, apparently Platinum Games has been bought by Tencent or something? Not sure if they own them or it's something else but I hope they have the funds to start pumping out more games like Bayonetta/Vanquish/Metal Gear Rising now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tencent invested, didn't buy outright, though no one is saying how large the investment is. Platinum says they're gonna use the cash to start publishing their own stuff.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Microsoft is the only honorable company because they bait these disgusting studios who are willing to make exclusives and then punish them by shorting them on payment, dicking them around during development, making trailers on their own showing features that don't exist or just forcing them to do nothing until they die on the vine.

If I had picked up studios like Rare and Silicon Knights for exclusives thinking I was getting a good deal, I would think all studios needed this treatment too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

I like when they show the full power of a console like sotc on a ps2 or uc3 on ps3 have mind bending visuals for their hardware that 3rd party wont deliver

3rd party juggernauts are the norm for the top games these days anyway, exclusives are basically indie AA's now for studios that aren't EA/UBI/Activision. Which is another explanation for why MS loves to abuse them.

Unless you're Capcom making a Street Fighter game as an exclusive then it's a heist

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

acksplode posted:

Tencent invested, didn't buy outright, though no one is saying how large the investment is. Platinum says they're gonna use the cash to start publishing their own stuff.

That will own so much. They won't compromise on 60fps so I don't think next gen will be too much of a strain for their studio if they're more focused on gameplay that runs smooth rather than 4k and stupidly fancy graphics. The new consoles will be supporting 120fps won't they? Maybe PG will have a toggle for that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ryoga posted:

If I had picked up studios like Rare and Silicon Knights for exclusives thinking I was getting a good deal, I would think all studios needed this treatment too.

The pain of not getting Donkey Kong absolutely scarred them as a company

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Unless you're Capcom making a Street Fighter game as an exclusive then it's a heist

Did DMV do well? I hope they continue pumping those out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of devs that Microsoft screwed over, apparently Platinum Games has been bought by Tencent or something? Not sure if they own them or it's something else but I hope they have the funds to start pumping out more games like Bayonetta/Vanquish/Metal Gear Rising now.

yeah its funding so they arent like, on the verge of dying constantly like they have been since they formed

SUNKOS posted:

That will own so much. They won't compromise on 60fps so I don't think next gen will be too much of a strain for their studio if they're more focused on gameplay that runs smooth rather than 4k and stupidly fancy graphics. The new consoles will be supporting 120fps won't they? Maybe PG will have a toggle for that.

theres nothing stopping anything running 120fps if they want, but most tvs are still only 60hz. pretty sure evena lot of "120hz" TVs arent actually. psvr games run 120fps. frame rate on console games is entirely a decision for devs to make and itll probably be the same again going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah I just thought I saw 120hz as a next gen selling point somewhere along with the SSD stuff and "no load times!" which is gonna be a bust when games are held-up by servers/matchmaking because they're online-only.