Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rotten Cookies posted:

I may end up getting the Fenix and the Petzl case to see if they fit together. If they don't, I'll return the Petzl case. Being rechargeable is a big plus that I didn't originally state (whoops) but since I already have a big fuckoff battery pack for my phone, that's a plus.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Really looking forward to not drooling everywhere as I hold a flashlight in my mouth futzing around in my pack.

It fits... but the case was clearly made for something with a smaller profile.

Buttons are all usable, they don't appear turning on or off by compression of the case material, though that's definitely because of how well-shielded the headlamp's buttons are, and you can see the battery gauge LEDs handily.

edit: Yeah, if you shove the light in TOO far, the taper of the case WILL depress the buttons and turn on the lamp.

edit edit: The problem is GREATLY reduced by putting the lamp into the case rotated 180 degrees around the lens axis. That is to say, the buttons are not on the power symbol side.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Huh, really? Rotating it 180 fixes that problem? Does the side with the power symbol just slope in more?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think it is a matter of the kinda chunky seam along the hinge pushing the body of the headlamp more towards the power symbol side. Ergo, flipping the lamp over results in the seam displacing the side of the case away from the buttons.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Gotcha. Thanks for taking the time to test that out for me. I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on those two. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I got a nitecore NU25 and it's a great little headlamp. Light, rechargeable, different kinds of light and pretty bright though if I was doing serious night hiking I'd probably go with some black diamond headlamp cuz those get bright as gently caress

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I bought a 3-pack of some Chinese brand off Amazon for $20. They're rechargeable, bright, and have different lighting modes. They work fine and have good reviews. It says they're water-resistant for things like rain but I would not submerge them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Levitate posted:

I got a nitecore NU25 and it's a great little headlamp. Light, rechargeable, different kinds of light and pretty bright though if I was doing serious night hiking I'd probably go with some black diamond headlamp cuz those get bright as gently caress

I really love the black diamond storm not for its brightness, but rather for the green led night mode—-it’s the perfect blend of bright and useful but doesn’t destroy your night vision or battery life.

Can’t wait for the usb rechargeable version to come out though, AAA batteries are dumb as gently caress in 2020, even the eneloop rechargeables are only just ok

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

USB Rechargeable AA Batteries - Lithium Batteries Cell (Built-in Charging Circuit) - 1.5V / 1200mAh (4-Pack) Double A Li-ion Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079129V8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PMJhEbTT5XZSW

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm looking for a cheap synthetic sleeping bag I can toss in our car during winter months for possible emergencies. Weight is not a concern. Is there any reason not to just get something like the 0° Coleman or Teton options on Amazon?

For context, this would be just for peace of mind during day trips into the mountains snowshoeing etc. We already have nice low-temp down bags for backpacking and winter camping. But I want something I can leave in a stuff sack all winter and just forget about it in our car (along with the other emergency supplies we leave in there).

I'm assuming a cheap bag from a known manufacturer (ie not some no-name Amazon knock off) is the way to go, but if I should consider something completely different I'm open to suggestions.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

incogneato posted:

I'm looking for a cheap synthetic sleeping bag I can toss in our car during winter months for possible emergencies. Weight is not a concern. Is there any reason not to just get something like the 0° Coleman or Teton options on Amazon?

For context, this would be just for peace of mind during day trips into the mountains snowshoeing etc. We already have nice low-temp down bags for backpacking and winter camping. But I want something I can leave in a stuff sack all winter and just forget about it in our car (along with the other emergency supplies we leave in there).

I'm assuming a cheap bag from a known manufacturer (ie not some no-name Amazon knock off) is the way to go, but if I should consider something completely different I'm open to suggestions.

I have a Teton LEEF 0 degree bag. Be aware that it's pretty uncomfortable once you get down below 20 degrees, and I don't think you're supposed to leave synthetic bags in a stuff sack either.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

incogneato posted:

Look at a gear resale shop if you have one nearby. In Seattle we've got a few that sell used gear pretty cheap and they wont take stuff thats trashed or dirty. I picked up a northface 15 degree kids sleeping bag for my dog for $20 and it was practically brand new. Also check out craigslist or REI maybe, they have a used gear site now as well. I would rather have a useable sleeping bag for $50 from a brand thats reputable versus getting something from amazon for $20 using who knows what as insulation inside. I assume a mylar blanket is already in your first aid/emergency kit and if not, it should be.

For what its worth, synthetic bags lose their performance when they're left compressed for long periods of time. The compressed insulation breaks down losing its warmth retaining ability.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Good to know about synthetic losing insulating properties if kept stuffed. I've only ever had down bags, so I guess I just assumed the rule not to store compressed was unique to down.

A second hand gear shop is a good idea. I'll check our local one. Thanks!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Throw a space blanket or two in there for good measure, you can't possibly go wrong for how much space they take up in addition to your other things, and even if you don't use it as a blanket, you can tack it up against the windows to keep the inside of your car warmer.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m researching camp shoes for backpacking. Traditionally I bring flip flops but I’d like something that hikes better and gives me better traction when wading (lake fly fishing). Some website recommended Vivobarefoot. Anyone have opinions on them? Other recommendations?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I usually pick one of two options:
- Hiking boots and Crocs
- Just closed toe keen sandals. Preferably with socks to look extra dorky.

I can't think of a great reason to carry an extra set of expensive medium ish weight shoes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Crocs

not joking

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have some bootleg walmart crocs that I spied while I was out buying food for a trip, they pack lighter and squish smaller than actual crocs

But crocs are a fine substitute if your mates won't mock you too much

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Another for Crocs ... Easy to put on and take off, the strap keeps them on, you can wear with or without socks, and they don't absorb water. They also make some with better tread which would be my only complaint.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Use the strap to go in all-terrain mode.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think crocs... I’m planning on converting to them myself, because the xero sandals I bought and have been using just aren’t that great for walking and they’re frustrating to put on and take off.

Imho the best sandals for hiking are either keen, or chaco if you want something that’s just straps and less of a shoe. But both of those are too heavy to justify as camp shoes, though the chacos did save my butt in Grayson Highlands when my boots ate it on the second day in and the sole attaching the tread disintegrated. Fortunately I had my chacos at the time and was able to complete the remaining two days in them.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I have some bedrock sandals which are pretty nice. I think they hike quite well and have a pretty good tread, and are lighter than chacos. Disadvantages though are the toe thong which makes wearing socks slightly uncomfortable, less toe protection overall, some fabric which will absorb water, and presumably heavier than crocs although I haven’t looked at the specs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did my first backyard camping in 18 years to start prepping for April and I had a major problem with the hard ground on my hips and back. I'm a side sleeper so I need a lot of padding to avoid pain in the bony parts of my hips when sleeping on the ground, and preferably evenness between my torso and head (rather than my head angling downward toward the pillow). What would you recommend for that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a thicker mat? That's about all you can do.

Air mattresses will naturally get thin at the pressure points and thicker everywhere else so there's not much you can do about that except maybe inflate it better. Or go foam.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

re: Keens that’s what I’ve also used but yeah, they’re far too heavy to schlep all the way to a backcountry campsite. I may just wind up picking up a pair of Crocs. I’m a Coloradoon so I believe I’m legally required to own a pair anyway.

chitoryu12 posted:

I did my first backyard camping in 18 years to start prepping for April and I had a major problem with the hard ground on my hips and back. I'm a side sleeper so I need a lot of padding to avoid pain in the bony parts of my hips when sleeping on the ground, and preferably evenness between my torso and head (rather than my head angling downward toward the pillow). What would you recommend for that?

What xzzy said. Thicker pad, or use your existing pad on top of a foam pad. If you’re just car camping, holy poo poo the REI Camp Dreamer is a game changer.

For reference, I’m a side/stomach sleeper and use a Therm-a-rest Trail Lite for backpacking trips. I have found that if I over-inflate the pad I actually wake up more sore than I would otherwise. My usual process is to inflate the pad fully, then lay on it and let a small amount of air escape until my pressure points are just padded enough not to touch the ground. I don’t know if this screws with the insulative properties of the pad, but it makes for a more comfortable night’s sleep.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've been renting and borrowing gear for several months now, I'm about to start buying my own. Mostly weekend backpacking trips, solo with dog. I'm not ready for the UL "one cup, a nickel-sized burner, and a spoon I carved from this bark" minimalist approach. I'll carry some extra weight for convenience.

What do you folks recommended for cooking stoves? Been renting a jetboil and it is fine, just no experience with other options other than my classic Coleman (car camping) rig.

I tried hammocks and quilts and not for me. I was kind of disappointed in that, actually. Guess I am a ground sleeper. Which has made finding tents/bags long enough so my feet stay dry a problem. Whoever sizes these things: 6-flat is not "tall" or "long."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jetboil is the "best" if you want water hot fast, there's a reason everyone is using them.

But I have no issues with my pocket rocket and a cheap foil wind screen I found on amazon.. anything that makes heat will work fine so you need to decide what features you value and go from there.

(pick from price, size, weight, time to boil)

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I've never used a Jetboil. I'm sure their great. The weight just seems unnecessary and the price seems steep. My girlfriend uses a Soto Amicus with a 700ml pot from Snow Peak. I use the Pocket Rocket 2 with a 600 ml Toaks pot. Neither one of us have ever wanted or needed anything better BUT we are 3 season (mostly summer) backpackers. I haven't found a need for a homemade wind screen. If it's windy and I can't get great protection it will just take longer and burn a little more fuel.

I also have an alcohol stove that I like but the simplicity of the PR 2 means I usually grab that.

For a few bucks more you can check out the Soto Windmaster and Pocket Rocket deluxe if you want more wind resistance.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak Gigapower and a 1L pot. Go titanium if you’re a weight weenie.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Picking your site is as important as your padding system. Sand, turf, or pine needles beat out outcropping rock and tent platforms.

CancerStick posted:

My girlfriend uses a Soto Amicus with a 700ml pot from Snow Peak.

I have the same stove and I forget what brand of Ti pot but possibly the same. Works just fine in windy conditions but couldn't say for freezing temps.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

What sleeping pad are you using now? I'm a side sleeper and tried several pads over the years finally landing on a big Agnes insulated q core. When inflated it's like 4 inches thick. I don't touch the ground, the insulation is great and I sleep really well. It doesn't weigh any more than most pads and it packs about the size of a nalgene.

Awesome. I paid $140 for it, now it's $44

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/148919/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-sleeping-pad

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thanks for the heads up! Bought two. Last month had bought an insulated StaticV but didn't check seller on Amazon, was scam. Had been looking for a deal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Verman posted:

What sleeping pad are you using now? I'm a side sleeper and tried several pads over the years finally landing on a big Agnes insulated q core. When inflated it's like 4 inches thick. I don't touch the ground, the insulation is great and I sleep really well. It doesn't weigh any more than most pads and it packs about the size of a nalgene.

Awesome. I paid $140 for it, now it's $44

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/148919/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-sleeping-pad

I think I'll give that a try. I have to hike about a mile out and my site is pre-selected for me (it's a roleplaying thing) so I have to be prepared for just about anything. Last night I was just on my regular lawn.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pumped up for school posted:

I've been renting and borrowing gear for several months now, I'm about to start buying my own. Mostly weekend backpacking trips, solo with dog. I'm not ready for the UL "one cup, a nickel-sized burner, and a spoon I carved from this bark" minimalist approach. I'll carry some extra weight for convenience.

What do you folks recommended for cooking stoves? Been renting a jetboil and it is fine, just no experience with other options other than my classic Coleman (car camping) rig.

I tried hammocks and quilts and not for me. I was kind of disappointed in that, actually. Guess I am a ground sleeper. Which has made finding tents/bags long enough so my feet stay dry a problem. Whoever sizes these things: 6-flat is not "tall" or "long."

I use the Soto Amicus as well and found it to be great. REI has a set that comes with the stove and cookset combo for the same price as if you bought the stove by itself.
https://www.rei.com/product/149091/soto-amicus-stove-cookset-combo

Review: https://sectionhiker.com/soto-amicus-stove-and-cookset-combo-review/

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The superlight version is 3 more dollars and weighs 13 oz less

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/148917/big-agnes-superlight-q-core-classic-sleeping-pad

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thanks for the Soto recommendations. That's the kind of advice I was looking for: just as good, half the price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wondering if I should pick this up to replace my Klymit Static-V Insulated. It's a full inch thicker and few ounces lighter, but a couple inches narrower.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Like Dangerlama mentioned, the REI Camp Dreamer or NeoAir Dream mattress is stupidly comfy though pricey and heavy. Great for car camping, though an inflatable mattress, foam topper, and 6 person instant pop up tent is what the gf and I have settled on for that.

If you’re up for trying something different or more portable, maybe look at giving hammocks a shot. It’s what I prefer to use, because the fabric cradles every curve of your body evenly so you don’t have pressure points, and it’s super light. It’s a bit of a learning curve though, to figure out how to set it up and insulate yourself. I use and really love the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hammock system with a hex tarp and quilts. Expensive, but the best I’ve found, and super simple to set up and tear down.

I'm not ready for the UL "one cup, a nickel-sized burner, and a spoon I carved from this bark" minimalist approach. I'll carry some extra weight for convenience.

What do you folks recommended for cooking stoves?

I’m the same way... I love shedding ounces but I’ve hit my comfort weight and have even started adding things just to have a better trip.

Canister stoves are what I’ve settled on, I don’t think you’ll go wrong whatever you get. The MSR Pocket Rocket 2 is a great system, basically the same as the Olicamp Ion I use.

Pot wise though, the Olicamp XTS is in a league of its own. The handles work great, the heat exchanger makes for a faster boil and acts like a built in windscreen, and the silicone lid drastically improves boil speed but snaps on so it doesn’t rattle around in your bag like the fry pan lids. Durable, cheap, works great, and doesn’t weigh a whole lot, it’s one of my favorite pieces of gear. Plus the liter pot is just the right size for individual trips or boiling water for group meals

Morbus
May 18, 2004

For stoves:

Do you want to cook/fry/simmer or do you just need to boil water / boil things in water (like pasta)?
How important is a fast boil time for you?
How important is fuel efficiency?
What kind of temperatures do you plan on using it? What are the coldest morning/evening temperatures that you want the stove to perform well in?
How important is cost?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Morbus posted:

For stoves:

Do you want to cook/fry/simmer or do you just need to boil water / boil things in water (like pasta)?
How important is a fast boil time for you?
How important is fuel efficiency?
What kind of temperatures do you plan on using it? What are the coldest morning/evening temperatures that you want the stove to perform well in?
How important is cost?

Honestly for 2-3 days I can get by without a cooked meal. I do that more often than I should when working. PB sandwich, crackers, veggies. Fuel not fun. But cooking is something I really enjoy and I think extra weight is worth it, especially when with a group. Lots of goulash and stews. I drink coffee all day. That's one of the reasons the outfit I've been renting from set me up with a jetboil.

My last outings have been 5000-8000 feet. Lowest temp was 20f. I've never clocked how long it takes to get a thermos ready for coffee. 5 minutes (?) to boil is fine.

Just cashed out credit card rewards to gift cards so I'm kind of flush with Amazon funds right now, but if $50 gets me going I'd rather do that than $150.

I'm completely clueless about fuel types and efficiency. I've always carried an extra can but never used it.

I've a work trip to an inaccessible campsite in Mendocino NF next month (road washed out). My work partner and I will probably camp it rather than drive 2 hours in and out for a couple of days. We'll have atvs so not hoofing it but would still like to do it in one trip in/out. Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Honestly for 2-3 days I can get by without a cooked meal. I do that more often than I should when working. PB sandwich, crackers, veggies. Fuel not fun. But cooking is something I really enjoy and I think extra weight is worth it, especially when with a group. Lots of goulash and stews. I drink coffee all day. That's one of the reasons the outfit I've been renting from set me up with a jetboil.

My last outings have been 5000-8000 feet. Lowest temp was 20f. I've never clocked how long it takes to get a thermos ready for coffee. 5 minutes (?) to boil is fine.

Just cashed out credit card rewards to gift cards so I'm kind of flush with Amazon funds right now, but if $50 gets me going I'd rather do that than $150.

I'm completely clueless about fuel types and efficiency. I've always carried an extra can but never used it.

I've a work trip to an inaccessible campsite in Mendocino NF next month (road washed out). My work partner and I will probably camp it rather than drive 2 hours in and out for a couple of days. We'll have atvs so not hoofing it but would still like to do it in one trip in/out. Should be fun.

If you are mainly cooking either soupy meals or boiling water to add to food, I'd recommend a jetboil minimo or another pressure regulated canister stove. At temperatures around 20-32F, a pressure regulated stove will work a lot better than a non-regulated stove. It's a very efficient stove so for a 2-3 day trip even a single small fuel canister will almost always be plenty. Only thing is they can be kind of expensive.

Inverted feed stoves like the MSR Windpro or Optimus Vega also work very well down to even 0-5F (provided you take some measures to keep the fuel warm), but they can be a little bit awkward and aren't as fast as jetboils.

In any case, if its not uncommon for you to cook near or below freezing, I definitely recommend either an inverted feed or a pressure regulated stove, as these will just plain work better and faster at those temperatures.