Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

KingEup posted:

My girlfriend threatened to leave me tonight if I brought another tv into the house but I calmly explained that I felt there was definitely room for one more, especially once she was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Probably because it wasn't worth trying to get a factory to 100% replicate the dye job of a 20 year-old piece of plastic

Whoops, I was under the impression they called the color "Atomic Purple" when they just called it "Purple" and the color on the website is pretty clearly purple too. I guess the color is intentional.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think the green is supposed to be more like the Jungle Green than Extreme Green, but here's a comparison with my Extreme controller, anyway.

Wish I could get Joycon shells in the Extreme Green, but apparently it's not a color that people have a common nostalgia for.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2020

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Does this kind of translucent plastic get sun bleached? That might have something to do with it on 20-25 year old N64 stuff. The ones I got were pretty close in color to my Ice Blue N64, but still off if I look carefully.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Echophonic posted:

I think the green is supposed to be more like the Jungle Green than Extreme Green, but here's a comparison with my Extreme controller, anyway.

Wish I could get Joycon shells in the Extreme Green, but apparently it's not a color that people have a common nostalgia for.

I've never even seen that color. It looks like the old Lego canopies/lasers/doodads.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ItBreathes posted:

I've never even seen that color. It looks like the old Lego canopies/lasers/doodads.

I just looked it up and I didn't realize it was that rare, apparently there's <10k of them. I think I even might still have the box, because I have most of my video game boxes.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo. wait, they got original files somehow? havent seen alot of those shots before but then again its been awhile since i was obsessing over lok.

I'm not sure, maybe someone got a very old build of the game where it still had these files intact. All of the footage shown is new. I hope more info comes out pretty soon cause I'm excited.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bank posted:

That's..quite dark. I wonder why they did that to such a classic color.

It looks like they went more for the Funtastic series for the translucent set vs. the Atomic Purple/Extreme Green colors.

I've got one of those Extreme Green original controllers too, I was trying to make a set of transparent Smash player colors and that was as close to yellow as they made. Trying to do the same for DC is even worse though, those transparent yellow controllers and VMUs are absurd.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Since we're on Brawler64 chat it should probably be mentioned that pre-orders for their Dreamcast controller went live today: https://castlemaniagames.com/products/retro-fighters-strikerdc-dreamcast-controller

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Zophar posted:

Since we're on Brawler64 chat it should probably be mentioned that pre-orders for their Dreamcast controller went live today: https://castlemaniagames.com/products/retro-fighters-strikerdc-dreamcast-controller

Is there any benefit in preordering through this site and not straight through Retro Fighters?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone know where the cord goes out of? One thing that bugs me about my DC controller is the cord comes around from the bottom..

I can't tell from the product pics here.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bank posted:

Anyone know where the cord goes out of? One thing that bugs me about my DC controller is the cord comes around from the bottom..

I can't tell from the product pics here.

quote:

And, unlike the original Dreamcast controller, the cord on the StrikerDC comes out of the top, instead of the bottom – no more annoying distractions.

From their site.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Echophonic posted:

I just looked it up and I didn't realize it was that rare, apparently there's <10k of them. I think I even might still have the box, because I have most of my video game boxes.

I don't think I've ever seen that color in an N64 controller before. It does remind me of the Lego space stuff

Only registered members can see post attachments!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

KingEup posted:

My girlfriend threatened to leave me tonight if I brought another tv into the house but I calmly explained that I felt there was definitely room for one more, especially once she was gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LGEiIL1__s

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Picked up all three games for $15. All discs are in great condition, Rage Racer and Wipeout have manuals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You Am I posted:

Picked up all three games for $15. All discs are in great condition, Rage Racer and Wipeout have manuals.

You're a braver, or more insane, person than I am to even consider going outside today :stonklol:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/IanSmallshire/status/1216837540319285249

https://twitter.com/IanSmallshire/status/1216855661507727360

Neat!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ooh, I hope this means that we can eventually play Don Quixote and I Will: The Story of London.

"If you can travel through space and time, you don't need a car!"

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

That's awesome! And reminds me I need to get back to finding someone who can repair my LaserActive's ability to play discs.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
In the middle of doing a deep dive on the SMS. All of the Disney games seem to be really good. I've never been into the Asterix games, but these seem exceptionally good. Most recently played through and beat Jurassic Park... and it might be the best Jurassic Park console game? After going back and playing them, I really didn't care for the Genesis/SNES JP games.

The SMS was the first video game system that I owned that was actually mine, but I didn't have a ton of games. It's cool going through an 8-bit library that I'm unfamiliar with.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have a weird obsession with SMS Road Rash. I just find it realty impressive I guess? It looks and plays so closely to the Genesis version it's uncanny, particularly when considering even the 16 bit version can barely manage a playable framerate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have GDEMU clones really gotten this cheap or am I losing something in the translation here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GDEMU-Opti...OssQbcVIdfcq3vw

E: nevermind. There are color options which means it’s more likely the 3D printed tray adapter for the GDEMU

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 14, 2020

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have GDEMU clones really gotten this cheap or am I losing something in the translation here?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F174146552650

It's from China, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they managed to mass produce the boards for essentially pennies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

In the middle of doing a deep dive on the SMS. All of the Disney games seem to be really good. I've never been into the Asterix games, but these seem exceptionally good. Most recently played through and beat Jurassic Park... and it might be the best Jurassic Park console game? After going back and playing them, I really didn't care for the Genesis/SNES JP games.

The SMS was the first video game system that I owned that was actually mine, but I didn't have a ton of games. It's cool going through an 8-bit library that I'm unfamiliar with.

A lot of interesting stuff never got US releases (or did so when the system was already dead). So it was easy to miss out on some neat games.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

In the middle of doing a deep dive on the SMS. All of the Disney games seem to be really good. I've never been into the Asterix games, but these seem exceptionally good.

Asterix was developed by Sega in Japan, if I remember correctly. It's a really good platformer.
I think the 8-bit Mickey Illusion games were better than Mega Drive ones.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Progress report on CxBx-Reloaded (OG Xbox emulator). It's coming along nicely: https://www.patreon.com/posts/33124221

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't even collect NES/Famicom games and I had to buy this when I saw it at my local shop:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't even collect NES/Famicom games and I had to buy this when I saw it at my local shop:

I saw that on Mercari recently for dirt cheap and was considering using my 500 yen worth of points on it just to have it on display or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GDEMU-Opti...OssQbcVIdfcq3vw

E: nevermind. There are color options which means it’s more likely the 3D printed tray adapter for the GDEMU

The pictures you get when you select which colour you want are pretty interesting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

I saw that on Mercari recently for dirt cheap and was considering using my 500 yen worth of points on it just to have it on display or something.

I paid $4 for it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

katkillad2 posted:

The Renegade port for the SMS is way better than it has any right to be.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1217149566086209536?s=19

My man

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pegnose Pete posted:

You can get a copy shipped to the US for less than $5 total if you really want it. They can't give away copies of it in Japan.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

As a man who has both Hana no Star Kaidou and Transformers Mystery of Comvoy, I might have to purchase this game!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

katkillad2 posted:

I really liked Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse since it's like a really simple Metroidvania, although I originally played it on the Game Gear. That's another aspect of the Master System, a lot of Game Gear games were also released on it, although not always in the US. At the time that probably was a negative since it meant the system didn't have as many exclusives, but now it means there's an easier way to play a lot of Game Gear games.

Something I always wondered, I know the Game Gear was pretty much a Master System with a better graphics chip (more colors), but were there any games that were released on both platforms that had better graphics on the Game Gear?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
All the N64 RGB talk a few days back made me upgrade my RGB mod to one of the newer ones with hardware aliasing removal and in-game-reset (which was a nice bonus that was nearly worth the effort alone)

I was thinking about how the N64 was designed to have two layers of aliasing, which gave the games their signature smeary look that looks terrible on modern televisions. Removing both layers gives an image not unlike that of the PSX (minus the wobbly textures, mercifully)

I don't have an UltraHDMI, but I do have a Retrotink and an Mclassic aliasing cable, so let's see what the Mclassic can do with that:

Marginally better, but the Mclassic struggles a bit with it and actually makes parts of the image worse, like the floor tiles. In my experience the Mclassic really struggles with low res images and just smears them a bit, which is why I don't usually use it for anything pre-Dreamcast.

By enabling the Retrotink's smoothing option and combining with the Mclassic, the image gets aliased twice (as originally intended, sort of) on its way from 240p to 1080p. I then get this:

:pusheen:

I think this is about as good as one could make a non-emulated N64 game look on an HDTV.

Another example:

All aliasing disabled

Mclassic

Mclassic + Retrotink smoothing

The biggest downside is increased dithering (as expected), but I don't mind too much and I think it's definitely worth the trade-off.

Anyway, thank you thread for making me spend money again.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm starting to lean towards a Retrotink for all my composite connections. I have a composite switcher, and I'm thinking of just connecting that to the Retrotink, and then HDMI to my TV. Now I just gotta wait for it to be back in stock somewhere.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't know what weirded me out more about seeing this yesterday, that the Super NT is showing up in second hand stores, that someone in Europe voluntarily bought the purple one, or that it's priced more expensive than the NT is to buy new.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The pictures you get when you select which colour you want are pretty interesting.

For $2, I ordered one just to see what shows up in *checks tracking* two entire earth months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

SCheeseman posted:

I have a weird obsession with SMS Road Rash. I just find it realty impressive I guess? It looks and plays so closely to the Genesis version it's uncanny, particularly when considering even the 16 bit version can barely manage a playable framerate.

I actually played SMS Road Rash for a few hours the other day and... it might actually be better than the Genesis version if only because once you buy the most expensive bike on the SMS version it actually handles extremely well in comparison to the Genesis version where it's basically not driveable and ruins the game. The biggest downside of the SMS version is all of the levels that aren't the desert level look pretty much the same. Solid game though.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The Renegade port for the SMS is way better than it has any right to be.

I loved Renegade on the NES, so looking forward to it!