Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

zentigeist posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/07/labour-leadership-where-do-the-candidates-stand

I'm breaking my post-election ban on politics posting to say is this peak guardian to have "view of corbynism" next to the candidates.
Can't they just leave the boy in peace :(

Dear God is that article obnoxious.

Thank you Chrome for capitalising that for me, the name of our rightful lord and master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I guess we just have to hope that each candidate showing support for the BoD's insane demands is an excuse to troll them, like insisting that the independent board includes left wing Jewish figures and is forcibly applied to all UK political parties. Which would probably kill the whole thing, or at least drag the question of who gets to be a legitimate Jewish voice into the open so they can be eviscerated by their own hubris.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I guess we just have to hope that each candidate showing support for the BoD's insane demands is an excuse to troll them, like insisting that the independent board includes left wing Jewish figures and is forcibly applied to all UK political parties. Which would probably kill the whole thing, or at least drag the question of who gets to be a legitimate Jewish voice into the open so they can be eviscerated by their own hubris.

lol if you think it wouldn't immediately be jumped upon as proof that anti-Semitism didn't "end" with Jeremy Corbyn

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Oh I didn’t realize Corbyn already stepped down.

Rip y’all, sorry Britain didn’t elect the cool old grandpa. :c

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Private Speech posted:

Dear God is that article obnoxious.

Thank you Chrome for capitalising that for me, the name of our rightful lord and master.

The bit where they beg for money is so much worse

"These are turbulent, decade-defining times. Whatever lies ahead for us all, the Guardian will be with you – investigating, disentangling and interrogating. So our readers can make up their minds based on fact, not fiction."
:toot:gently caress:toot:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

Really impressive how many people in this thread have the powers of prognostication and already know the result of the Labour leader race!

I'm honestly on tenterhooks for this thing because it's where we're going to find out just how solid the left bloc is/how shook people are after the election/whether radical left-wing electoralism is dead or merely mortally wounded.

I genuinely have no idea how things are going to shake out.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Leader:
  1. Rebecca Long-Bailey
  2. Emily Thornberry
  3. Lisa Nandy
  4. Keir Starmer

Deputy Leader:
  1. Dawn Butler
  2. Angela Rayner
  3. Rosena Allin Khan
  4. Richard Burgon

Jess Phillips:

I’m no fan of Starmer but he’s definitely preferable to Lisa “mates with Claire Fox” Nandy

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

seizure later posted:

lol if you think it wouldn't immediately be jumped upon as proof that anti-Semitism didn't "end" with Jeremy Corbyn

Sure, but even less people will take it seriously when they're desperately threading the needle to justify shutting down other Jewish voices or not hold all parties to the same standard, which frankly is how Labour should have handled this from the start.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sure, but even less people will take it seriously when they're desperately threading the needle to justify shutting down other Jewish voices or not hold all parties to the same standard, which frankly is how Labour should have handled this from the start.

they already did this over the last 3 years where they continued to say that any dissenting Jewish voices were "the wrong type of Jew" so idk why they wouldn't just continue doing what has already proven to work for them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Leader:
  1. Rebecca Long-Bailey
  2. Emily Thornberry
  3. Lisa Nandy
  4. Keir Starmer

Deputy Leader:
  1. Dawn Butler
  2. Angela Rayner
  3. Rosena Allin Khan
  4. Richard Burgon

Jess Phillips:

Starmer isn't active red-brown, so that makes him a step up from Nandy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
irl I'd likely only put the top 2 of each down, but Starmer seems to be getting so many votes that I wouldn't want any more going his way, especially if it looks like he's just going to New Labour 2.0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Active red-brown sounds like a serious intestinal problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Active red, Brown.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Niric posted:

This is almost certainly going to happen, but I honestly don't know a practical way of avoiding or mitigating it. Particularly on point #2, the independent body, since they can plausibly cause a stink if anyone except themselves is named. The thread's apparently preferred solution of "tell BoD to gently caress off," while totally understandable, doesn't really seem like it would help here.

The pledge is to outsource the disciplinary process as a whole, not just for anti-semitism, it doesn't make sense for the BoD to handle eg sexual harassment or bullying complaints

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
We should probably just skip ahead to the point where the government declares Labour a terrorist organisation under prevent :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Labour: Time Ta Bale

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They were marching to the german goose step, and saying it's time ta bale. Labour's full of nazis and the royals are in the karzy: in tomorrow's daily mail.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The weather today was insane. Saw people who looked like they had been swimming in their clothes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's still wild up here.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Just looked out the window and it looked like the street got hit by a Jose-level storm.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My curtain rail got blown off, this is a disaster on a par with 9/11.

(TBH although the winds aren't too bad here in London, the whistling of it through the half-built skyscrapers around here is spooky as hell)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was so stormy walking home from work tonight that my hood didn't even stay up :mad:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The rain came down so fast on my walk home that the streets were awash with water.

I keep looking at that ten points thing and every time I look it gets worse. There's no way the membership will stand to have that imposed on them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

It was so stormy walking home from work tonight that my hood didn't even stay up :mad:
The Wehrmacht were wrong about an awful lot of things, but not about the utility of having a hat that can button around your face.

Of course, you have to be careful about wearing such things nowadays, someone might confuse you for a German postal worker and call you a fascist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The Wehrmacht were wrong about an awful lot of things, but not about the utility of having a hat that can button around your face.

Of course, you have to be careful about wearing such things nowadays, someone might confuse you for a German postal worker and call you a fascist.

If you want to cosplay a different kind of white supremacist imperialist, the M65 jacket (or more importantly it's innumerable cheap knockoffs) has a hood that buttons up under your nose, and also you get to look like a 70s European leftist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want one of those medieval hoods so I can wear it like a chaperon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rarity posted:

Really impressive how many people in this thread have the powers of prognostication and already know the result of the Labour leader race!

I mean the result is that someone wins who will get relentlessly monstered by the press for the next 5 years whilst they ignore the increasingly fascist government, then probably lose an election, then resign and repeat, if the country's not underwater yet.

Thetobester
Jul 14, 2012

zentigeist posted:

The bit where they beg for money is so much worse

"These are turbulent, decade-defining times. Whatever lies ahead for us all, the Guardian will be with you – investigating, disentangling and interrogating. So our readers can make up their minds based on fact, not fiction."
:toot:gently caress:toot:

I've started to get a decent amount of joy seeing that. Such a shame you're struggling for money. Such a loss for quality journalism.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I thought it looked familiar and a quick google confirms that yes, that fight in the kebab house where the guy carries on eating as everyone kicks off happened about a ten minute walk from my house, and I've even ordered kebabs from the kebab house on the opposite side of the road from it

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So I've finally got a gp appointment for my sadbrains, does anyone know what sort of stuff to expect at the appointment and further in the future?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: gently caress, I shouldn't be doomsaying itt. Nevertheless, gently caress the Tories.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 13, 2020

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

So I've finally got a gp appointment for my sadbrains, does anyone know what sort of stuff to expect at the appointment and further in the future?

Lifestyle advice (a bit of exercise, decent diet, avoiding alcohol, avoiding other drugs - these all sound trite but do make a difference to mental health)
CBT via your local IAPT scheme
medications

are the three options and you can do all or some of those depending on what you want to do

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I thought it looked familiar and a quick google confirms that yes, that fight in the kebab house where the guy carries on eating as everyone kicks off happened about a ten minute walk from my house, and I've even ordered kebabs from the kebab house on the opposite side of the road from it

I need backstory to that fight. Also does the place do a good kebab?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

Just looked out the window and it looked like the street got hit by a Jose-level storm.

Tree blew down just across the road from me and nearly went through someone's house. And by "blown down" I mean the trunk snapped about two feet above the ground.

It's a bit windy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ThomasPaine posted:

I need backstory to that fight. Also does the place do a good kebab?

no idea on the backstory, and no, it does not

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm going to predict that, since every candidate has signed up to these guidelines, Corbyn is going to be kicked out the Labour party by the end of the year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

I'm going to predict that, since every candidate has signed up to these guidelines, Corbyn is going to be kicked out the Labour party by the end of the year.

I would suggest that depending on who becomes leader, it's things like that which are going to be an obstacle to actually implementing them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

marktheando posted:

And yet surely the Party Leader can't just make the rules?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Changes of that sort I'm sure would have to go through the NEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I need backstory to that fight.

It's a kebab shop and he's pissed, what more back story can exist?