Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Changes of that sort I'm sure would have to go through the NEC.
*NEC blocks obvious wrecking*SHOW SOME LEADERSHIP BECKY

E: I don't feel like sniping today, no gods no masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Does anyone know who played Fenchurch on the 1981 BBC version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/hannahrosewoods/status/1216679355319029761

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"When I gently caress, the woman has to play with herself and I become painfully aware of how poo poo I am at sex."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

I need backstory to that fight. Also does the place do a good kebab?

Ken is an avid transubstantiationist while that bloke calling everyone a oval office at the top of his voice is a well known memorialist.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Katt posted:

Does anyone know who played Fenchurch on the 1981 BBC version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Could she be described as 'Grumpy Londoner'? Jill Goldston?

https://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=31470

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A very powerful profile for a dating site.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Katt posted:

Was Fenchurch in it? She didn't appear by name until SLaTfatF which was set after the prehistoric Earth stuff the TV show ends with. My memory could be failing me though.

e: Oh, apparently she was in episode 2 but doesn't seem to have a credit anywhere. Now I'm curious! :argh:

ee:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hmmm :thunk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This quote is unaesthetic.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know. She's credited by "unknown actress" which is baffling to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If that's on IMDB or something it likely means that she wasn't credited in the original and nobody's figured out who she was.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Katt posted:

I don't know. She's credited by "unknown actress" which is baffling to me.

Have you got a picture of her? (Do you have the episode so you could photo your tv/monitor?)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Changes of that sort I'm sure would have to go through the NEC.

So everyone is leaving the party on the prospect of a possible conflict with the party leadership?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

genericnick posted:

So everyone is leaving the party on the prospect of a possible conflict with the party leadership?

I think a lot of people are just fed up and making decisions that have more to do with personal symbolic meaning than actual practical consequences.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hustings dates:

quote:

Saturday 18 January Liverpool

Saturday 25 January Durham

Saturday 1 Feb Bristol

Sunday 2 Feb Cardiff

Sunday 9 Feb Birmingham

Saturday 15 Feb Glasgow

Sunday 16 Feb London

It's a much-compressed programme over 2015, which ran for three months, and the first one's this weekend coming. There also seems to be no apparent news on whether any of these will be broadcast anywhere, although we can probably expect streaming at worst.

Starring:

Keir Starmer as Andy Burnham. The early favourite, based on that one poll and with MPs' nominations coming out of his ears. He seems to be taking the lesson "don't tack right" from Burnham in 2015. His offer seems to be the same to everyone - carry on the stuff that appealed in 2017, but clear out Milne and Lansman and their influence, and be less personally vulnerable to being attacked for past associations. It'll be interesting to see how he approaches the hustings; it's often said that the best-placed candiate in a debate needs only to not lose to do well, but then the 2015 campaign shows how three people can all cock it up at the same time by sounding like soundbite-spouting question-avoiding twerps.

Lisa Nandy as Yvette Cooper. She's pretty clearly set out her messaging stall as the Blue Labour we-must-listen-to-the-small-town-bigots candidate. If she can show there's some substance behind it in the hustings, it might go somewhere. Or she could just end up flailing around aimlessly when she gets asked if she'd have Jeremy in the shadow cabinet.

Rebecca Long-Bailey as Jeremy Corbyn (she hopes). Also clearly positioned as the continuity we-did-nuffink-wrong-guv-it-woz-Bozza-and-the-Sun-wot-lost-it-one-more-heave candidate. This is going to be very much a Marmite candidacy, but I think the thread may be over-estimating the wider membership's willingness to die on the hills of uncompromising support for Palestine and uncompromising rejection of anti-semitism allegations. I can see her doing strongly on first preferences but not getting near 50%; she's not Jeremy, and the situation isn't the same as 2015.

Jess Phillips as Liz Kendall. I mean, she's in, but it seems like her messaging lunch has been eaten by Nandy and I'm not entirely sure how she could play this other than "I'm not Jeremy Corbyn". On the one hand, she's been fond of sweary public statements in the last few years and might be thinking of positioning herself as a straight-talking Midlands bruiser who can take it to Boris Johnson over the despatch box, but then on the other she folded up under some very mild pressure on a breakfast show recently.

Emily Thornberry as Bryan Gould. She's got it all to do, which does give her the advantage of flexibility; she could credibly go with any position from "I was Jeremy's shadow foreign secretary" to "let's revive Blairism". She's also discovered a taste for forthright language in the last few years and could be thinking about going that way as well.

It's going to be a very interesting month.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i like emily thornberry because she can talk to animals

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If that's on IMDB or something it likely means that she wasn't credited in the original and nobody's figured out who she was.

Non-speaking parts don't get an official credit. It's why so many random Comedy Store faces got single-line appearances in The Young Ones (it was almost impossible to get work without an Equity card, and to get one you had to do an unbroken year of theatre work *or* get a single credited appearance on television, something that wasn't at all abused by generations of sexual predators in the business). Paul Merton probably holds the record for "smallest role to get an Equity card", getting a single, three-word line, originally written for Norman Pace, in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjXYS8UXFU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

i like emily thornberry because she can talk to animals

"I'll do this, with politics. Blaaaaaarg!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's S1E1, Fenchurch (or the lady in the cafe who worked it all out just before the Earth got demolished) was, I'm fairly sure, in a later episode.

S1E2, two minutes in:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xwroa

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 13, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's S1E1, Fenchurch (or the lady in the cafe who worked it all out just before the Earth got demolished) was, I'm fairly sure, in a later episode.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xwroa

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(it was almost impossible to get work without an Equity card, and to get one you had to do an unbroken year of theatre work *or* get a single credited appearance on television, something that wasn't at all abused by generations of sexual predators in the business).
Those are nonce peaking parts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wait, that couldn't be Sally Emerson, could it? She and Adams were in a relationship at the time, and he based Fenchurch on her when his relationship with his eventual wife was on the rocks.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

marktheando posted:

I'm going to predict that, since every candidate has signed up to these guidelines, Corbyn is going to be kicked out the Labour party by the end of the year.

could be
but on the other hand, he’s bound to quit as an MP once the leadership election is done to spend more time with his allotment (i.e. make way for another leftie in the new generation to carry the torch) and wouldn’t for a second consider accepting elevation to the Lords even if one was offered. so would anyone bother targeting him? rather than turn their attention to people actually running the party?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait, that couldn't be Sally Emerson, could it? She and Adams were in a relationship at the time, and he based Fenchurch on her when his relationship with his eventual wife was on the rocks.

I started checking other actresses in the series and was going to guess Susie Silvey (mind they used a bunch of Benny Hill girls so googling is NSFW) But Sally Emerson looks way more probable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Cerv posted:

could be
but on the other hand, he’s bound to quit as an MP once the leadership election is done to spend more time with his allotment (i.e. make way for another leftie in the new generation to carry the torch) and wouldn’t for a second consider accepting elevation to the Lords even if one was offered. so would anyone bother targeting him? rather than turn their attention to people actually running the party?

Oh I don't think he'll quit, he'll definitely just step down next election.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Trin Tragula posted:

Keir Starmer as Andy Burnham. The early favourite, based on that one poll and with MPs' nominations coming out of his ears. He seems to be taking the lesson "don't tack right" from Burnham in 2015. His offer seems to be the same to everyone - carry on the stuff that appealed in 2017, but clear out Milne and Lansman and their influence, and be less personally vulnerable to being attacked for past associations. It'll be interesting to see how he approaches the hustings; it's often said that the best-placed candiate in a debate needs only to not lose to do well, but then the 2015 campaign shows how three people can all cock it up at the same time by sounding like soundbite-spouting question-avoiding twerps.

Lisa Nandy as Yvette Cooper. She's pretty clearly set out her messaging stall as the Blue Labour we-must-listen-to-the-small-town-bigots candidate. If she can show there's some substance behind it in the hustings, it might go somewhere. Or she could just end up flailing around aimlessly when she gets asked if she'd have Jeremy in the shadow cabinet.

Rebecca Long-Bailey as Jeremy Corbyn (she hopes). Also clearly positioned as the continuity we-did-nuffink-wrong-guv-it-woz-Bozza-and-the-Sun-wot-lost-it-one-more-heave candidate. This is going to be very much a Marmite candidacy, but I think the thread may be over-estimating the wider membership's willingness to die on the hills of uncompromising support for Palestine and uncompromising rejection of anti-semitism allegations. I can see her doing strongly on first preferences but not getting near 50%; she's not Jeremy, and the situation isn't the same as 2015.

Jess Phillips as Liz Kendall. I mean, she's in, but it seems like her messaging lunch has been eaten by Nandy and I'm not entirely sure how she could play this other than "I'm not Jeremy Corbyn". On the one hand, she's been fond of sweary public statements in the last few years and might be thinking of positioning herself as a straight-talking Midlands bruiser who can take it to Boris Johnson over the despatch box, but then on the other she folded up under some very mild pressure on a breakfast show recently.

Emily Thornberry as Bryan Gould. She's got it all to do, which does give her the advantage of flexibility; she could credibly go with any position from "I was Jeremy's shadow foreign secretary" to "let's revive Blairism". She's also discovered a taste for forthright language in the last few years and could be thinking about going that way as well.

It's going to be a very interesting month.

I really want to vote for RLB, but I’m honestly not sure if, when it comes down to it, she has the strength of character and moral fortitude to guillotine and then consume the flesh of all billionaires. I want to believe that she does - but I just don’t know that she will be able to get that bill through.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Those are nonce peaking parts.

Nonce peeking (at) parts

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

According to BoD, neither Dawn Butler nor Richard Burgon have signed up for the BoD list of demands (and neither had Clive Lewis).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

xtothez posted:

I really want to vote for RLB, but I’m honestly not sure if, when it comes down to it, she has the strength of character and moral fortitude to guillotine and then consume the flesh of all billionaires. I want to believe that she does - but I just don’t know that she will be able to get that bill through.

In the absence of Laura Pidcock, what choice do we have?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Crossposting from CSPAM:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1216852197910155264

Yes I know, something something work with the public you have, not the public you want. That's probably a line from some dumb film, too. Can't recall which one.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 13, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Where's that 6% gone, then?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

Where's that 6% gone, then?

CHUK-TIG is back in the game, baby!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Yes I know, something something work with the public you have, not the public you want. That's probably a line from some dumb film, too. Can't recall which one.
"You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

By famed leader Donald Rumsfeld.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

"You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

By famed leader Donald Rumsfeld.

Can't tell if that makes is dumber than if it were from a film.

Given the apparent context (early Iraq war being a mess) it probably does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who on earth is paying for election polls literally five years from the election?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They went to the brexit festival. Sponsored by Heinz.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

What a weird time to do a poll.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

Who on earth is paying for election polls literally five years from the election?

Gotta poll something!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The capacity of poll production determines that polls will be produced and consumers will be found for them regardless of utility, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51086276

When u gently caress around so much with the executive that the one thing you didn't want to happen defaults to happening

grand work as always, DUP