Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harrow posted:

If Warren comes out today and confirms it, it's going to hurt Bernie severely.

If she denies it, it's going to hurt Warren severely.

From where I'm sitting the "best" option from Warren's side of things is to just not comment and ride it out. It'll limit blowback damage to her while maintaining what damage the story has already done to Bernie. It wouldn't be a game-changer but it's just one more story chipping away at Bernie's support. People primed to believe it (or even give the story the benefit of the doubt) will see her refusal to comment as confirmation; people who already disbelieve it won't change anyone else's minds.

I disagree. The only people that would believe such an obvious lie are diehard Bernie haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I disagree. The only people that would believe such an obvious lie are diehard Bernie haters.

Also she doesn't have the guts to actually openly lie like that I don't think.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Why would you think this? I'm pretty sure Trump is polling better against the competition than he did in 2016, plus now having an incumbent advantage.

Theoretical matchup polling is notoriously unreliable, once the Dem candidate is clear you'll see polling move closer to reality

Enthusiasm going into 2020 one year out was at an all time high, with democrats tying republicans. This is unusual as Republicans are always excited to turn out, with the exception of 07-08. Broad enthusiasm doesn't help Republicans much for obvious reasons (they're olds who always show up to vote). The enthusiasm plus the 2-5% move in demographics alone (e.g. dead boomers plus new 18 year olds) is a pretty good indication of where this should go

https://news.gallup.com/poll/268136/high-enthusiasm-voting-heading-2020.aspx

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Watching uninspiring shitlibs kneecap the best Dem candidate mere months before a critical election against the vacant, demented face of rising fascism in America is pretty discouraging guys.

Not that this wasn't always the logical conclusion, but man--capital will bring the whole loving building down with them no matter what, huh?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

This is much more speculative on my part, but I also think that if the Democratic nominee wins a narrow victory in 2020 and Dems don't flip the Senate, that's also a disaster, just a different and slower kind, because it sets them up to be thrashed again in 2024.

This is really why it needs to be Bernie imo. Democrats need to flip three seats (four if you assume they lose Alabama), so repeating Hillary's performance except narrowly winning the Rust Belt instead of narrowly losing it would be almost as bad as losing to Trump.

Colorado is the only solid pickup. Collins has been leading by double digits in Maine (which I didn't think was possible after her Kavanaugh vote but here we are), so that's unlikely. In Arizona the Democrat has been ahead in hypothetical polling for the last few months, so there's two. But after that ehhhhh

Alabama and North Carolina are neck-and-neck, and Dems need to win both (or another even less likely state). It's not going to happen without energized, excited voters, which is exactly what you don't get with a "safe" moderate boring choice.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

LeeMajors posted:

Watching uninspiring shitlibs kneecap the best Dem candidate mere months before a critical election against the vacant, demented face of rising fascism in America is pretty discouraging guys.

Not that this wasn't always the logical conclusion, but man--capital will bring the whole loving building down with them no matter what, huh?

dude the logic of capitalism is probably going to eradicate all human life in the next century, and you're surprised about one national election lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LeeMajors posted:

Take a breath -- Bernie isn't being "kneecapped". This is the desperation flail of a candidate and campaign that knows it's going to lose Iowa unless something dramatic happens.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

So is Warren really this stupid or did she just hire the dumbest people on the planet?

Didn't a bunch of Hillary people join her campaign. They've probably been pushing her to lie and smear and sling mud for months. This would be the time to release a photo of Bernie in an Indonesian madrassa

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Take a breath -- Bernie isn't being "kneecapped". This is the desperation flail of a candidate and campaign that knows it's going to lose Iowa unless something dramatic happens.

yeah i don't see this actually hurting him. it's just so hosed that CNN is running with it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Failed Imagineer posted:

dude the logic of capitalism is probably going to eradicate all human life in the next century, and you're surprised about one national election lmao

I’m not surprised. I literally said it was the logical conclusion. It’s just discouraging.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's true, forums poster oxsnard's friend said so

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kidkissinger posted:

yeah i don't see this actually hurting him. it's just so hosed that CNN is running with it.

I think this will backfire on both Warren and CNN. Bernie supporters are really loving sick of this poo poo.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the press really do deserve ever bit of hate trump slings towards them, even if he does it for the wrong reason

utter vermin

also gonna say again that warren is scum and deserves to lose everything

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So is Warren really this stupid or did she just hire the dumbest people on the planet? I knew she was a bad campaigner but there's no way this attack plays out even close to whatever they were hoping for.

I think its a concerto of all these things OP

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

If she had broken the story right away, I could see people believing it. But only saying something when her polls and fundraising are faltering just makes it seem like a desperate lie.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

kidkissinger posted:

Having a hard time not seeing it blow up in her face. She has some talents, convincingly making transparent bullshit like this stick on her closest ally in the primary when this was supposedly an undercurrent the whole time? Wow.

She's really loving bad at this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

Who else is "excited" for tomorrow's debate hosted by CNN!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

it's true, forums poster oxsnard's friend said so

I don't know who that person is. Warren has been coming in 3rd/4th in polling in Iowa. The act itself demonstrates that they're trying increasingly risky strategies, which doesn't bode well for either their chances or their perception of their chances.

Someone in a comfortable lead isn't going to abruptly and bizarrely attack a close ally.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Whatever this dumb thing is it isn't going to affect anybody either way. Manufactured drama.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

How are u posted:

Whatever this dumb thing is it isn't going to affect anybody either way. Manufactured drama.

Feeling pretty good about Warren's unity strategy i see.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know who that person is. Warren has been coming in 3rd/4th in polling in Iowa. The act itself demonstrates that they're trying increasingly risky strategies, which doesn't bode well for either their chances or their perception of their chances.

Someone in a comfortable lead isn't going to abruptly and bizarrely attack a close ally.

I don't know if anyone's arguing that this will help Warren, only that it'll hurt Bernie enough that "not Bernie" wins more delegates (which looks like it'll be Biden).

If Warren's campaign actually did plant this story and actually thinks it'll help her, they're dumb as hell. If it hurts Bernie (and I'm willing to grant that's an "if"), I don't think Warren's the benefactor.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Polls polls polls

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1216813453832224769

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Great to see Biden's steady decline over months. His support is going to crater after Iowa.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So what's going to happen when they ask at the debate "Warren did Bernie say this to you?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So what's going to happen when they ask at the debate "Warren did Bernie say this to you?"

The smartest thing for CNN to do is not to bring it up at all, or at least not do so directly. If they do and Warren does anything other than outright confirm it, it'll blow up in her face pretty badly IMO.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

The smartest thing for CNN to do is not to bring it up at all, or at least not do so directly. If they do and Warren does anything other than outright confirm it, it'll blow up in her face pretty badly IMO.

Wait, CNN is hosting it? My first thought would be that Warren should just disavow and blame it all on CNN.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Wait, CNN is hosting it? My first thought would be that Warren should just disavow and blame it all on CNN.

Yes, CNN is hosting tomorrow's debate, with Wolf Blitzer moderating (I think)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

They put it on the front page of their website as breaking news. They're going to bring it up for sure, imo

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

CNN is hosting the debate, and blasting it the day before as loudly as they can. CNN also doesn't give a gently caress about anything but ratings, certainly not Warren. There's zero chance they don't bring it up unless it's completely discredited before.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

They put it on the front page of their website as breaking news. They're going to bring it up for sure, imo

Of course they will. The corporate news media lives for this poo poo, because they're all loving goblins high on their own farts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The question will be more like "Unfortunately, there's still a lot of sexism out there, including even in the Democratic Party. Senator Sanders, you've been accused of refusing to support women candidates, what will you do to help end the sexism in your campaign?"

They'll make sure Warren has an out to not respond directly.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Warren rn

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gonna plagiarize Biden, tossing out some gobbledygook and then quickly declaring her own time as up.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

So is Warren really this stupid or did she just hire the dumbest people on the planet? I knew she was a bad campaigner but there's no way this attack plays out even close to whatever they were hoping for.

She is this stupid, to hire Clinton people.

It can't be explained enough how incompentently and transparently dumb former Clinton staffers are.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

oxsnard posted:

the dem nominee is gonna beat trump and that includes warren

No, Trump will be very hard to beat and only Sanders can mobilize people. Everyone else gets beaten.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

How many Hillary staffers did she hire?

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

How are u posted:

Of course they will. The corporate news media lives for this poo poo, because they're all loving goblins high on their own farts.

How do you feel about Warren being a willing participant with "loving goblins high on their own farts"?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Mahoning posted:

I almost would have given Warren the benefit of the doubt (I mean, she sucks and her plans are awful and she’s a terrible candidate, but she has been mostly hands-off with Bernie or any of his policies so I kind of trusted her in a weird way) but that fundraising email off of this non-controversy was the ultimate scummy rear end thing she could have done.

Boy this had a short shelf life lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Terror Sweat posted:

How many Hillary staffers did she hire?

Somewhere between (all of them - 1) and (all of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

hobotrashcanfires posted:

How do you feel about Warren being a willing participant with "loving goblins high on their own farts"?

I thought she just had a marine boyfriend, she's loving fantasy goblins now too?