Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

it's true, forums poster oxsnard's friend said so

all i did was share an anecdote about how some people in sanders' camp are looking at the state of Iowa positively. Simmer down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of people here, and a lot of people I see on twitter are like 'Ok now we know what Warren is like, this is terrible of her' and I agree. They're also like "well now she's hosed / obviously being stupid / she's done for" and I don't know about that? I was going to talk to my SO about Bernie but I'm sure she's already heard about this scandal from her friends/internet groups. She was on Clinton's side and I'm sure all of the Clinton supporters will believe everything about this Bernie smear. There were a lot of Clinton supporters last time. Just waiting for the Clinton supporters from last time that I know, to start posting about this on facebook. I think this is pretty bad for him but I suppose we'll see. It's really not what I wanted to see and I believe him. A lot of people don't trust him though. I'm just less confident about this than most people I see online, seem to be.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

My reaction to today's news:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Acute Grill posted:

I thought she just had a marine boyfriend, she's loving fantasy goblins now too?

I never expected Warren charging into a goblin’s nest to not get some goblin vomit and schlop and blood on her. I just don’t want to catch her in bed with a goblin. But if she’s in there rolling around hacking ‘em up and she’s got a goblin guide, y’know, taking her into the cave, I’m not expecting her to not get dirty, especially up to her ankles.

Failed Imagineer posted:

every time he posts one of those for Biden just assume it's real, the outcome will be the same

She

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Harrow posted:

If Warren comes out today and confirms it, it's going to hurt Bernie severely.

If she denies it, it's going to hurt Warren severely.

From where I'm sitting the "best" option from Warren's side of things is to just not comment and ride it out. It'll limit blowback damage to her while maintaining what damage the story has already done to Bernie. It wouldn't be a game-changer but it's just one more story chipping away at Bernie's support. People primed to believe it (or even give the story the benefit of the doubt) will see her refusal to comment as confirmation; people who already disbelieve it won't change anyone else's minds.

If calling you a loving idiot merits a sixer then sixer me up because you are a loving idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1216822609385545728?s=20

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thoguh posted:

If calling you a loving idiot merits a sixer then sixer me up because you are a loving idiot.

Man I loving hope I am

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Bernie is gonna win, here's Danny Devito to explain why

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1216779507220340736?s=20

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

She is this stupid, to hire Clinton people.

It can't be explained enough how incompentently and transparently dumb former Clinton staffers are.

Writing was on the wall when she announced her Iowa staff like they were the '90s Chicago Bulls.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Harrow posted:

The smartest thing for CNN to do is not to bring it up at all, or at least not do so directly. If they do and Warren does anything other than outright confirm it, it'll blow up in her face pretty badly IMO.

why wouldn't warren just confirm it though? there's no reason to think that she has any issues with being a lying sack of poo poo

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

hobotrashcanfires posted:

How do you feel about Warren being a willing participant with "loving goblins high on their own farts"?

I haven't paid any attention to this dumb poo poo at all.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

holy poo poo, this is amazing, shamelessly stealing it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RottenK posted:

why wouldn't warren just confirm it though? there's no reason to think that she has any issues with being a lying sack of poo poo

Because she is personally cowardly. Buzzfeed saying they reconfirmed it with anonymous sources. Warren is trying to have it both ways right now.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Gripweed posted:

Bernie is gonna win, here's Danny Devito to explain why

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1216779507220340736?s=20

*plays any It's Always Sunny clip with Frank in it*

bErNiE bRoS

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This whole saga feels like the kind of coordinated attack that a Hillary staffer would think up.

Warren doesn't want to be seen as breaking her pledge not to attack Sanders, so her team searches for something, anything they can spin as Sanders 'trashing' her and this dubious script was the best they had. After a day of their embedded journalist screaming that Sanders is mudslinging while she plays the victim in interviews, they accuse him of making misogynistic comments in a private conversation with the excuse that he started it.

It owns bones that he came out and called the anonymous source a liar, I don't see how Warren can avoid the question and retain any credibility. Either her staffer is lying and she isn't doing anything about it, or Bernie is lying and she's refusing to defend her own employees from an attack on their character.

I wonder if they didn't expect him to come right out and say it's a lie. Did Obama ever call Hillary out on her dirty underhanded tactics in 2008? I remember he criticized her a lot, but did he specifically call her out for releasing the madrassa photo and running that hosed up racist strategy?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The caucuses are imminent, of course the knives are going to come out to some extent at this point. I don't have any real problem with that, from my perspective Warren is still an ally and the 2nd best choice. I'm very glad that Bernie is the one in the lead and the target, because I want him to win.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RottenK posted:

Because if the lie was true, why would she still be "friends forever" with Bernie afterwards? Why would she have been pretending to be shocked and mystified just days ago that Bernie would ever have said a mean thing about her campaign?

Her own actions in the past don't make sense if the lie was true, and that's of course because its a lie.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1216814955590082560

Biden -5 and Bernie +3 since last Q poll

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1216824349816045569

Whoops: this one is +2 Biden and +0 for Sanders from the poll in November

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 13, 2020

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

VitalSigns posted:

It owns bones that he came out and called the anonymous source a liar, I don't see how Warren can avoid the question and retain any credibility. Either her staffer is lying and she isn't doing anything about it, or Bernie is lying and she's refusing to defend her own employees from an attack on their character.
He called the anonymous source a liar? I generally don't click on CNN links, was that in the story too? I hadn't seen anyone mention that in thread and was wondering if he had or not.

It's remarkable how Warren looked at Kamala Harris' campaign trajectory and told her manager "I bet we can do that but bigger."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Tulsi's catching on, I tell ya.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

How are u posted:

The caucuses are imminent, of course the knives are going to come out to some extent at this point. I don't have any real problem with that, from my perspective Warren is still an ally and the 2nd best choice. I'm very glad that Bernie is the one in the lead and the target, because I want him to win.

I prefer Warren over Biden/Buttigieg but it's like deciding whether you'd prefer a steel toe boot in the teeth or the side of the head.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

How are u posted:

I mean at this point this is what Warren is now campaigning on, and it's absurdly disappointing, but that works too

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Trabisnikof posted:

Because if the lie was true, why would she still be "friends forever" with Bernie afterwards? Why would she have been pretending to be shocked and mystified just days ago that Bernie would ever have said a mean thing about her campaign?

Her own actions in the past don't make sense if the lie was true, and that's of course because its a lie.

this would matter if she was actually in this to win, but since the real purpose of her presence in the primary is sabotaging sanders she can easily throw out a bunch of smears for the media to spread and sit back, she knows she'll be rewarded later

How are u posted:

how can she possibly still count as an ally

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Me, watching Warren and the media react to Bernie's surge.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Failed Imagineer posted:

Apologies, shittily lazy use of language and assumption on my part

It's fine, don't worry

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 13, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How are u posted:

I don't understand this comment at all.

If Bernie didn't say that, then Warren is a liar who is willing to destroy other people on the left (or at least stand by and let them be destroyed by lies), either out of cynical ambition or (not-so-)secret rejection of left-wing politics. She's certainly not an ally

If Bernie did say that, then not only is he (at best) mildly misogynistic and gaffe-prone about it, but he is also a liar who says one thing in private and another thing in public, and he slanders people who simply tell the truth.

There's no way they can both be good people or a good choice for president after this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Apologies, shittily lazy use of language and assumption on my part

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pander posted:

He called the anonymous source a liar? I generally don't click on CNN links, was that in the story too? I hadn't seen anyone mention that in thread and was wondering if he had or not.

"It is ludicrous to believe that at the same meeting where Elizabeth Warren told me she was going to run for president, I would tell her that a woman couldn't win," Sanders said in a statement to CNN Monday. "It's sad that, three weeks before the Iowa caucus and a year after that private conversation, staff who weren't in the room are lying about what happened. What I did say that night was that Donald Trump is a sexist, a racist and a liar who would weaponize whatever he could. Do I believe a woman can win in 2020? Of course! After all, Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump by 3 million votes in 2016."

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders-denies-report-told-elizabeth-warren-woman-cant-president-apartment-cnn-anonymous-1481928

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RottenK posted:

this would matter if she was actually in this to win, but since the real purpose of her presence in the primary is sabotaging sanders she can easily throw out a bunch of smears for the media to spread and sit back, she knows she'll be rewarded later

She and her team certainly think they're in it to win it. Either as the last remaining not-joe or as the last remaining not-bernie. The larger system of incentives may align her success with the larger effort to suppress leftism and not really with her winning, but the individual decisionmakers are almost all of them playing for keeps.

For the same reasons, they know they can try and fail and get a cushy reward later. So there's little risk to pushing it now, and the reward of getting to push Warren around in office like Obama was is absolutely massive.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

If Bernie did say that, then not only is he (at best) mildly misogynistic and gaffe-prone about it, but he is also a liar who says one thing in private and another thing in public, and he slanders people who simply tell the truth.

Hmmm, saying one thing in private and another thing in public, who does that sound like? If only I could think of a candidate from 2016 that is female and attacked bernie sanders in underhanded ways who did this exact thing. Oh well

Bonus points if it was hilariously on the nose like, telling rich bankers one thing, and telling voters another. I mean, that'd just be fuckin wild

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

kidkissinger posted:

Me, watching Warren and the media react to Bernie's surge.

The bugs were the good guys in that movie, OP.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand this comment at all.

If Bernie didn't say that, then Warren is a liar who is willing to destroy other people on the left (or at least stand by and let them be destroyed by lies), either out of cynical ambition or (not-so-)secret rejection of left-wing politics. She's certainly not an ally

There's no way they can both be good people or a good choice for president after this.

And just like yesterday's Big Scoop every facet of the story completely contradicts every other facet. Warren and Bernie were just fine and singing each other's praises despite this deep rift.

More and more it seems like yesterday's bullshit story was supposed to make today's seem plausible and they're both a complete farce.

Great campaign you're running there Warren.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Democrazy posted:

The bugs were the good guys in that movie, OP.

It's just a meme

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beautiful

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And just like yesterday's Big Scoop every facet of the story completely contradicts every other facet. Warren and Bernie were just fine and singing each other's praises despite this deep rift.

Like I said before, this is one of the reasons I don't believe it. This has been in the back of her mind for a year, and the whole time she's been his friend? The best case scenario for her here is that she's just as fake in public as he is, and cynically held on to this quote for an entire year until she needed to damage someone's campaign to stay relevant.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hosed up if true

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Like I said before, this is one of the reasons I don't believe it. This has been in the back of her mind for a year, and the whole time she's been his friend? The best case scenario for her here is that she's just as fake in public as he is, and cynically held on to this quote for an entire year until she needed to damage someone's campaign to stay relevant.

And Bernie encouraged her to run in 2016 as I guess a practical joke?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

And Bernie encouraged her to run in 2016 as I guess a practical joke?

Can someone post a good source for this? I'm gonna need it

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VitalSigns posted:

This whole saga feels like the kind of coordinated attack that a Hillary staffer would think up.

Warren doesn't want to be seen as breaking her pledge not to attack Sanders, so her team searches for something, anything they can spin as Sanders 'trashing' her and this dubious script was the best they had. After a day of their embedded journalist screaming that Sanders is mudslinging while she plays the victim in interviews, they accuse him of making misogynistic comments in a private conversation with the excuse that he started it.

I wonder if they didn't expect him to come right out and say it's a lie. Did Obama ever call Hillary out on her dirty underhanded tactics in 2008? I remember he criticized her a lot, but did he specifically call her out for releasing the madrassa photo and running that hosed up racist strategy?

Don't forget that it's such a badly hidden and telegraphed attack, to the point that you could pretty much see the staffers triumphantly announcing their plan on Twitter.

On the last thing, I firmly think the Warren camp thought Bernie would be civil about it and let it stand. For decorum's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What if this is the poo poo James O'Keefe was talking about and CNN are just complete morons