Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

jamal posted:

It had opened, the first people on it set it off.

Silver was closed today and they're out there looking for another missing person.

First person account

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...174970#1174970

My buddy and I rode up on this and were one of the first ones there to start probing and digging. One guy was up to his neck and was in the process of digging himself out so we just kept going as he was assisted by a ski patroller. When we found Bill it was about 40 minutes after the slide and now probably 20-30 people helping, he was blue and I didnt think he had a chance. After his airway was cleared he started breathing and that was extremely uplifting. We continued to canvas the slope and my buddy was to my left facing uphill, he struck Carl and we immediately started digging with our hands. He located his right hand fairly quickly and squeezed it with no response. We kept digging to get to his head and by then others had jumped in to help. Once his head was free he looked similar to Bill and at about 50 minutes in I thought he may have a chance, but sadly he didnt make it. We carried on uphill and at an hour after the slide another skier was struck. Frantically digging we freed his head and airway and he was screaming like nothing Ive ever heard before. Unbelievably he was uninjured, but in shock and hypothermic, and walked out once freed. There were so many people at that point and we were exhausted and overwhelmed so we walked back down and took off pretty shaken up. I dont know at what point during the search, but about 10 minutes apart from each other I heard the "whumph" twice and felt the snow slightly drop beneath me. That made me question whether the slope was even stable so I grabbed someones ski pole to have incase it slid....my reasoning was just throw my hand up with that ski pole, maybe giving me a chance. That was the most unnerving thing. Thursday afternoon they announced that they had found a 3rd victim under 16ft of snow. I never expected something like that to happen inbounds at a resort and it has completely opened my eyes to the way I will now ride and makes me question some of the decisions I have made in the past. A sad sad day for Silver Mountain.

Daughter fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Holy gently caress. I can imagine you left a little shaken up. I know we have a few patrollers in the thread but don't always remember who, are you on patrol or just happened to be there at the time?

This had me thinking earlier with the forecast for this weekend, I don't have a beacon yet but I have a shovel and probe. Would it be worth carrying it regardless?

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

No just out there enjoying waist deep powder. Turned the corner and there it was, could not have been more than 5-8 min after it happened.

I dont know what to think about the shovel and probe. Ive talked to people who have been riding Silver for 50+ years and they have never seen anything remotely close to what happened on Tues, but obviously there is always that chance. If you ride with a backpack and they would fold up and fit into it I would say why not.

Daughter fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 11, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Daughter posted:

My buddy and I rode up on this and were one of the first ones there to start probing and digging. One guy was up to his neck and was in the process of digging himself out so we just kept going as he was assisted by a ski patroller. At the point when we found Bill it was about 40 minutes after the slide and now probably 20-30 people helping, he was blue and I didnt think he had a chance. After his airway was cleared he started breathing and that was extremely uplifting. We continued to canvas the slope and my buddy was to my left facing uphill, he struck Carl and we immediately started digging with our hands. He located his right hand fairly quickly and squeezed it with no response. We kept digging to get to his head and by then others had jumped in to help. Once his head was free he looked similar to Bill and at about 50 minutes in I thought he may have a chance, but sadly he didnt make it. We carried on uphill and at an hour after the slide another skier was struck. Frantically digging we freed his head and airway and he was screaming like nothing Ive ever heard before. Unbelievably he was uninjured, but in shock and hypothermic, and walked out once freed. There were so many people at that point and we were exhausted and overwhelmed so we walked back down and took off pretty shaken up. I dont know at what point during the search, but about 10 minutes apart from each other I heard the "whumph" twice and felt the snow slightly drop beneath me. That made me question whether the slope was even stable so I grabbed someones ski pole to have incase it slid....my reasoning was just throw my hand up with that ski pole, maybe giving me a chance. That was the most unnerving thing. Thursday afternoon they announced that they had found a 3rd victim under 16ft of snow. I never expected something like that to happen inbounds at a resort and it has completely opened my eyes to the way I will now ride and makes me question some of the decisions I have made in the past. A sad sad day for Silver Mountain.
drat. Thanks and much appreciation for all your work in helping those buried in the avalanche, and also thank you for sharing such a tough story.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Daughter posted:

My buddy and I rode up on this and were one of the first ones there to start probing and digging. One guy was up to his neck and was in the process of digging himself out so we just kept going as he was assisted by a ski patroller. At the point when we found Bill it was about 40 minutes after the slide and now probably 20-30 people helping, he was blue and I didnt think he had a chance. After his airway was cleared he started breathing and that was extremely uplifting. We continued to canvas the slope and my buddy was to my left facing uphill, he struck Carl and we immediately started digging with our hands. He located his right hand fairly quickly and squeezed it with no response. We kept digging to get to his head and by then others had jumped in to help. Once his head was free he looked similar to Bill and at about 50 minutes in I thought he may have a chance, but sadly he didnt make it. We carried on uphill and at an hour after the slide another skier was struck. Frantically digging we freed his head and airway and he was screaming like nothing Ive ever heard before. Unbelievably he was uninjured, but in shock and hypothermic, and walked out once freed. There were so many people at that point and we were exhausted and overwhelmed so we walked back down and took off pretty shaken up. I dont know at what point during the search, but about 10 minutes apart from each other I heard the "whumph" twice and felt the snow slightly drop beneath me. That made me question whether the slope was even stable so I grabbed someones ski pole to have incase it slid....my reasoning was just throw my hand up with that ski pole, maybe giving me a chance. That was the most unnerving thing. Thursday afternoon they announced that they had found a 3rd victim under 16ft of snow. I never expected something like that to happen inbounds at a resort and it has completely opened my eyes to the way I will now ride and makes me question some of the decisions I have made in the past. A sad sad day for Silver Mountain.

Holy poo poo.

Take care of yourself; that must have been a traumatic experience for sure.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I can’t even begin to imagine what you went through. Thank you for what you did out there. I don’t know what else to say.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Holy poo poo

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 11, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Great job man. Despite the loss of life, you and your buddy are complete heros. I hope the event doesn't shake you too much in the long run. Thank you for sharing the story.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is it just a Vancouver thing, where people think that going up a mountain in low-profile summer tires during a snow storm is a good idea?.
The road wasn't even bad, but there was several cars in the ditch (despite traffic moving at like 20km/h).
Similar when leaving, there was sooo many people stuck in parking lot, or getting stuck trying to exit, blocking the road.
I know this was the first real powder day of the season (and it was pretty sweet!), but still.

On the plus side, my new boot/binding combination is awesome. (Vans infusion/Now Drive). So much more control.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's a Vancouver thing where if someone whispers "snow" too loudly, every car in a three block radius swerves off the road

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Oregoons, I just saw that Meadows suspended operations for the day. I work Saturdays so was not able to make it up there, but was planning on going tomorrow. Did any of you make it up there today? Tomorrow is supposed to have similar conditions, do you think they will likely suspend operations tomorrow as well?

highme
May 25, 2001

I've got a trip on the Green Dream Bus booked tomorrow. Forecast still looks like wind holds are a possibility so we'll see if I ride or drink.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

* Saw a guy absolutely destroy a orange safety fence today. I noticed suspiciously rapid movement out of the corner of my eye. He was careening down the hill (green) on his back, skis on either side pointed directly down the hill. Then he crashed into the fence. It ripped at least four adjacent posts out of their anchors.

* Saw a snowboarder on Village Way coming in super hot towards a family. He tried to put on the brakes, got it mostly done. Then clipped one of the kids’ tips and did two somersaults back onto his board. He exclaimed, “nailed it!”

It’s January in the Centennial State!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

I've got a trip on the Green Dream Bus booked tomorrow. Forecast still looks like wind holds are a possibility so we'll see if I ride or drink.

Never heard of them before, and looked them up, sounds like a really cool bus program. Kind of wish I lived in Portland, but I think living in The Dalles gives a better commute. One of the few advantages of living out there.

Meadows had this little blurb in their conditions section :

"Sunday's multi-week programs - SnoBlasters, TrailBlazers and High School - have also been suspended.

Sunday's Park & Ride has been cancelled."

just as an fyi in case that impacts you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Doge and the splits today.

Pretty good day, not the best powder but way better than in bounds.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Posting from a party woooo

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Love the national Forest one

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Daughter posted:

My buddy and I rode up on this and were one of the first ones there to start probing and digging. One guy was up to his neck and was in the process of digging himself out so we just kept going as he was assisted by a ski patroller. When we found Bill it was about 40 minutes after the slide and now probably 20-30 people helping, he was blue and I didnt think he had a chance. After his airway was cleared he started breathing and that was extremely uplifting. We continued to canvas the slope and my buddy was to my left facing uphill, he struck Carl and we immediately started digging with our hands. He located his right hand fairly quickly and squeezed it with no response. We kept digging to get to his head and by then others had jumped in to help. Once his head was free he looked similar to Bill and at about 50 minutes in I thought he may have a chance, but sadly he didnt make it. We carried on uphill and at an hour after the slide another skier was struck. Frantically digging we freed his head and airway and he was screaming like nothing Ive ever heard before. Unbelievably he was uninjured, but in shock and hypothermic, and walked out once freed. There were so many people at that point and we were exhausted and overwhelmed so we walked back down and took off pretty shaken up. I dont know at what point during the search, but about 10 minutes apart from each other I heard the "whumph" twice and felt the snow slightly drop beneath me. That made me question whether the slope was even stable so I grabbed someones ski pole to have incase it slid....my reasoning was just throw my hand up with that ski pole, maybe giving me a chance. That was the most unnerving thing. Thursday afternoon they announced that they had found a 3rd victim under 16ft of snow. I never expected something like that to happen inbounds at a resort and it has completely opened my eyes to the way I will now ride and makes me question some of the decisions I have made in the past. A sad sad day for Silver Mountain.

Wow.

Thanks for what you did for those folks. Be good to yourself too

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

I like Fry's snow mustache

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's getting very good now.

highme
May 25, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Never heard of them before, and looked them up, sounds like a really cool bus program. Kind of wish I lived in Portland, but I think living in The Dalles gives a better commute. One of the few advantages of living out there.

Meadows had this little blurb in their conditions section :

"Sunday's multi-week programs - SnoBlasters, TrailBlazers and High School - have also been suspended.

Sunday's Park & Ride has been cancelled."

just as an fyi in case that impacts you.

I got a text last night from Omar the owner letting me know that they cancelled today's trip. He said the conditions yesterday were "apocalyptic" and that there were 85mph gusts and trees knocked down in-bounds. So I'm ok with a lazy Sunday in Portland. Might gently caress around and clean a bathroom or something.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Snow dogs best dogs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Heck yes snow dogge

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Total carnage in Vermont.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Same in NJ. We had intense but short rain storms late night/early morning followed by 60+ degree high today. Got a few runs in and called it a day.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

I got a text last night from Omar the owner letting me know that they cancelled today's trip. He said the conditions yesterday were "apocalyptic" and that there were 85mph gusts and trees knocked down in-bounds. So I'm ok with a lazy Sunday in Portland. Might gently caress around and clean a bathroom or something.

It is always a bummer to miss a day on the mountain, but the conditions did look pretty darn miserable. I opted out of going up today myself. I will try to make it up tomorrow, and I will be taking my son up for ski team practice on Wednesday and Thursday night. It is supposed to still be pretty breezy then as well. Hopefully not as icey as it has been.

Going to Whistler in 8 days and I am *very* excited. Hopefully conditions are OK up there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I just left Killington, still in the car

Yesterday was a poo poo show and our house of 20 people decided to take the rain check for the second day rentals/ski lift

The porch had 2 feet of snow on it when we got there Friday and today it was all gone. Climate change is real and it is all our enemy 😡

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Apparently it snowed a shitload in Whistler and things are good now (I haven't been there since this started so I haven't seen it first-hand) but the avy danger is so high that a lot of the alpine hasn't been opening at all.

I DNFed two slalom races in a row, but that's ok. I got a bunch of training in today. I was only like ten gates from the finish, too, LOL. I'm still riding the high of two great GS results.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

More turns in the Backcountry. Really fun day.

https://youtu.be/vydtfW1UZss

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Apparently it snowed a shitload in Whistler and things are good now (I haven't been there since this started so I haven't seen it first-hand) but the avy danger is so high that a lot of the alpine hasn't been opening at all.

I DNFed two slalom races in a row, but that's ok. I got a bunch of training in today. I was only like ten gates from the finish, too, LOL. I'm still riding the high of two great GS results.

It's dumping snow in downtown Vancouver. I really want to take tomorrow off!!!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's dumping snow in downtown Vancouver.

oh god call in the army

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Only Toronto gets the army for snow storms!

Meanwhile, Sunshine has all the lifts on standby today because of the cold. Sucks for the folks paying hundreds a night to stay right on the mountain, it's supposed to stay this cold/colder all week.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

oh god call in the army

We have an army?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Awesome photos spwrozek. Super jealous since we're struggling bad now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

Awesome photos spwrozek. Super jealous since we're struggling bad now.

I am feeling for you guys real hard right now. Just a terrible situation over there.

We are having a pretty good year. I am finding I am less and less inclined to go ski in the resort. Chairlift laps can still be fun but dealing with the people and stuff kind of sucks. Maybe if we catch a good storm cycle I would be happy to lap the resort but chasing the rope drops with tons of others is a tough one.

I will keep posting pics though and try to keep the stoke up and send the snow vibes east.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fiancée wants to go up to her in-laws in the sierra foothills on MLK weekend, which would be nice for skiing since they're like 90 minutes from south lake tahoe. Except I got an epic local pass and not the full pass which means blackout dates. Guess i'm going to Sierra-at-Tahoe

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

luminalflux posted:

Fiancée wants to go up to her in-laws in the sierra foothills on MLK weekend, which would be nice for skiing since they're like 90 minutes from south lake tahoe. Except I got an epic local pass and not the full pass which means blackout dates. Guess i'm going to Sierra-at-Tahoe

It should only be blacked out on Saturday

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

spwrozek posted:

I am feeling for you guys real hard right now. Just a terrible situation over there.

We are having a pretty good year. I am finding I am less and less inclined to go ski in the resort. Chairlift laps can still be fun but dealing with the people and stuff kind of sucks. Maybe if we catch a good storm cycle I would be happy to lap the resort but chasing the rope drops with tons of others is a tough one.

I will keep posting pics though and try to keep the stoke up and send the snow vibes east.
Thanks for the pictures and the good wishes.

The one silver lining to the bad weather on Sunday was that we ended ski race drills early for the kids and they spent the rest of the training day bombing the jump line in the park on slalom skis.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

spwrozek posted:

It should only be blacked out on Saturday

ohhhhhh i thought it was the whole weekend (which is how presidents day is blacked out). We were gonna ski on only sunday anyway, this changes things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

luminalflux posted:

ohhhhhh i thought it was the whole weekend (which is how presidents day is blacked out). We were gonna ski on only sunday anyway, this changes things

Definitely check but I am pretty much positive that is what it is. Could be different with the local and the resorts in Cali. I have the local as well but in Colorado.

On their website it says just 1/18. So you should be good for Sunday.