Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Having finished LW, CW, the Butcher of Anderson Station, Drive, God's of Risk, and The Churn, does anybody else find The Churn as hosed up as I do? "Timmy" is like 15 and Lydia is an old woman. The narration says we just don't get it but that's...really hosed up. I guess it's from the perspective of a hosed up kid but she's a straight up predator.

I know I shouldn't have read it yet but I've seen through season 4 of the show and so spoilers are ambiguous at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
turns out amos' upbringing was super hosed up. who knew?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It seems to be saying it from more than his point of view though, also hers.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
A full 9 book series completed in a single decade.

A pleasure to see and read in this day and age (and genre)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Reread Auberon because I had a few hours to kill. And the part where Erich says "You know who does that poo poo? Theater majors." killed me.

There's all these scenes in book 7 about the entire EMC putting their heads together to build some psych profile for Laconia and Erich does it off-handedly in two seconds.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Okay I don't care about Lydia anymore halfway through Abbadon's Gate because Clarissa Mao may be the biggest idiot I've ever seen. She's smart but also she's "a bloo bloo my family's honor James Holden didn't let my dad kill a couple million people (almost all of humanity by the way)and get away with it." She can't die fast enough.

Edit: I realize that she changes later because I've seen some spoilers but she really gives the impression that for all the planning that's gone into what's going on, she's done zero thinking. The show benefits from the lack of seeing her thoughts especially how premeditated things are.

The craziest thing is that she makes me sympathize with book Holden, who I thought was as big an idiot as they come. Which is saying a lot in the face of TV Holden.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 12, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Probably best thing about S4 of the show adapting book 4 is not hearing Elvi's terrible men-writing-women thoughts.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

They really nailed the belter patois in the show.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Overall yeah but am I the only one who cringes when Drummer opens her mouth?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You are.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yep

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Everyone’s wrong sometimes. Now is your time.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The shame is real.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

...Why?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I set my Waze navigation voice as Drummer.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Nail Rat posted:

Having finished LW, CW, the Butcher of Anderson Station, Drive, God's of Risk, and The Churn, does anybody else find The Churn as hosed up as I do? "Timmy" is like 15 and Lydia is an old woman. The narration says we just don't get it but that's...really hosed up. I guess it's from the perspective of a hosed up kid but she's a straight up predator.

I know I shouldn't have read it yet but I've seen through season 4 of the show and so spoilers are ambiguous at this point.

I don’t think you are supposed to agree with Amos about how he feels, it’s just that victims of stuff like that often have a very complex set of feelings about their abuser and what happened. Personally, I think depictions like this one are important for helping to validate the way people feel about this stuff and acknowledge that it is complex and difficult to deal with/recover from. Painting all victims as completely outraged and only filled with negative emotions about their abuser can alienate people who are struggling with mixed emotions about their own experiences.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nail Rat posted:

Okay I don't care about Lydia anymore halfway through Abbadon's Gate because Clarissa Mao may be the biggest idiot I've ever seen. She's smart but also she's "a bloo bloo my family's honor James Holden didn't let my dad kill a couple million people (almost all of humanity by the way)and get away with it." She can't die fast enough.

I think Clarissa makes a lot of sense. There's always people who stick up for those who do terrible large-scale things because they were good to them personally. Clarissa lived a life of extravagant luxury because of her father, so she has his back no questions asked. It's the same thing with Lydia, she took care of Amos when he was a kid so he ignores everything else.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Something about her Belter accent seems...forced? IDK. For reference, I love most of the Belter voice acting, especially Jared Harris and whoever played the street preacher/agitator from the first season. Something about how Cara Gee voices Drummer just seems off to me.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
thats just your terrible taste in waifus

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Something about her Belter accent seems...forced? IDK. For reference, I love most of the Belter voice acting, especially Jared Harris and whoever played the street preacher/agitator from the first season. Something about how Cara Gee voices Drummer just seems off to me.

Would it help to think of it as a different accent? There's a bunch of "regional" and socioeconomic variation in Belter creole. She's not failing to sound like Jared Harris, just doing something different.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I also really liked the performance of the random pirate Ashford apprehends in the start of season 4 who calls him a "good little coyo."

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

There are so many great little things about that show- like how they showed Ashford playing with a baby in zero-G. They could have just as easily done the scene with gravity but they went through the trouble of showing what looked like a real baby floating around a cabin.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Man Ashford was so great. This skinny, horrifically burnt old man that constantly twitches and speaks an incomprehensible accent turns out to be a moral cornerstone.

I can barely remember book Ashford, I only know him as a strawman figure.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

There are so many great little things about that show- like how they showed Ashford playing with a baby in zero-G. They could have just as easily done the scene with gravity but they went through the trouble of showing what looked like a real baby floating around a cabin.

The thing that strikes me is that parents still hold babies by the back of their heads, I can't help but suspect that would be slightly anachronistic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Instead of helping them hold their heads up, it's to keep their heads from floating clean off their bodies.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Man Ashford was so great. This skinny, horrifically burnt old man that constantly twitches and speaks an incomprehensible accent turns out to be a moral cornerstone.

I can barely remember book Ashford, I only know him as a strawman figure.

The thing that strikes me is that parents still hold babies by the back of their heads, I can't help but suspect that would be slightly anachronistic.

Yeah I don’t really remember book ashford at all. He was just kind of a one dimensional hardline bad guy wasn’t he? Belter Murtry basically? Show ashford owns though. Hell I even like show murtry (he’s not different, his actor is just really good at playing a villain).

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I don’t really remember book ashford at all. He was just kind of a one dimensional hardline bad guy wasn’t he?

He's an extremely green officer who's put in command of the Behemoth for political reasons and immediately cracks under pressure.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

He's an extremely green officer who's put in command of the Behemoth for political reasons and immediately cracks under pressure.

Haha well then. That's a little different from the show

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If they ever get around to doing Singh I think he will be easy to hew to a talented young actor.

The fundamental issue is that Ty and Corey are basically two guys, they're clever but they're not literary geniuses, so when they have an opportunity to collaborate with a talented character actor like Aghdashloo or Jane or Harris or Strathairn they give them the opportunity to put their own interesting spin on the character.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
TV series Ashford is a mix of book Ashford, Bull and Drummer--during the Slow Zone crisis, he commits the same actions as in the book, but does them out of a sense of duty instead of out of a desperate ego trip to preserve his political status. Having to deal with a limited episode count forced the TV writers to condense different characters into a vastly superior more believable one.

TV show Murtry is still book Murtry because, well, there's not really any nuance to introduce when the book already stages him as a more coldblooded killer than Amos. He's basically the perfect foil to Holden's White Knight complex, and the clusterfuck on Ilos is constantly distracting Holden from addressing Murtry before he becomes the problem he is.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
TV show Ashford saying "What, you were expecting a mutiny?" made me grin like a big idiot. :haw:

Definitely the best improvement in the show from the books.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Hunterhr posted:

TV show Ashford saying "What, you were expecting a mutiny?" made me grin like a big idiot. :haw:

Definitely the best improvement in the show from the books.

But then he did turn around and do one, getting Diogo and others killed in the process. Yet somehow all is fine after the rings open, which I found odd. He should have been spaced after not only commiting mutiny but commiting and ordering summary executions during it. That said, I'm glad he wasn't.

I just am about finished with Abbadon's Gate and wow, I can only imagine how tense watching Drummer's last big moment must have been if you'd read the book first and knew what happened to Bull. I really need to finish through Nemesis Games and maybe another for good measure prior to season 5.

It also makes Anna's fairly nonsensical presence on the Thomas Prince make more sense. Her character transition to screen was one of the clunkiest IMO.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 15, 2020

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Nail Rat posted:

I just am about finished with Abbadon's Gate and wow, I can only imagine how tense watching Drummer's last big moment must have been if you'd read the book first and knew what happened to Bull. I really need to finish through Nemesis Games and maybe another for good measure prior to season 5.

In a second half of a season paced like an hours long heart attack, that moment actually made my heart stop!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

On to Cibola Burn, I hope the slog level has been overstated.

I really enjoyed the Holden and Miller stuff a lot more in Abbadon's Gate versus the show, but to say the show had limited time would be a vast understatement.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

CB isn't that bad, it just isn't on the level of the rest of the series.

The girl crush inner monologue from one of the POV characters is really bad though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Jan posted:

TV series Ashford is a mix of book Ashford, Bull and Drummer--during the Slow Zone crisis, he commits the same actions as in the book, but does them out of a sense of duty instead of out of a desperate ego trip to preserve his political status. Having to deal with a limited episode count forced the TV writers to condense different characters into a vastly superior more believable one.

TV show Murtry is still book Murtry because, well, there's not really any nuance to introduce when the book already stages him as a more coldblooded killer than Amos. He's basically the perfect foil to Holden's White Knight complex, and the clusterfuck on Ilos is constantly distracting Holden from addressing Murtry before he becomes the problem he is.

except tv show murtry is a fooking legend (who did nothing wrong)

ashford was helped by the screenplay (not that david straitharn didn't do work), but murtry is mostly brought to life by burn gorman

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
IMO Babylon's Ashes is the real slog with wayyyy too many POV characters. CB was just a nice little side-story in comparison.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I liked CB but I was able to read it and move straight on to the next one. Also I have a bit of a soft spot for colonisation gone wrong stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Lester Shy posted:

IMO Babylon's Ashes is the real slog with wayyyy too many POV characters. CB was just a nice little side-story in comparison.