Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

peepsalot posted:

Yo, I just picked up a tenkeyless wired kb with detachable (USB-C) cord, and I'm wondering if there's any sort of transceiver type dongle or something that I could plug in to make it wireless. Looking for a temporary solution rather than some kind of hard mod, so I can switch back to wired whenever. Is this a thing people do or am I crazy?

There's been a few projects to turn wired keyboards into bluetooth devices but a lot of them are limited run. Right now I only see this guy which is like $80:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Convert-Adapter-USB2BT-Japan/dp/B00PI7ZDOI

Since it requires power you're gonna need a usb battery to power it and the keyboard as well. I doubt this is exactly what you're looking for but I don't think there's a simple dongle since anything you'd use would need to provide power to the keyboard and the transciever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Based on naming it seems like that device is probably just a custom PCB running a variant of this: https://github.com/juancgarcia/HID-Relay

Stupidly, I'd bet the cheapest solution would actually be one of the Bluetooth-capable models of Raspberry Pi running something like this: https://github.com/007durgesh219/BTGamepad

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
the 16" mbp is a pretty good place to plop your miami vice poker II on

(mx clears)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Clears are the best switch.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

i concur, have another 80% with clears and a DAS with browns that I hope to replace with clears one day

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Are clears truly blues without the sound? I currently work remote and use blues, but I might be getting a job where I have to go into the office and don't want to bug anyone with my loud keys.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Clears are harder to depress and besides not making the superfluous *click* they also don't give you the same type of tactile feedback.

Think of it like this, you run your finger over a flat surface with a slight bump and you can feel the slight bump. You know there's a change but you are actuating all the force in feeling that change. That's clears.
Now imagine you run your finger over the same surface, but instead of a static bump, when you feel the bump it also taps back at your finger. That's blues.

That's just the point of actuation though, the rest is sorta on you and how you type. Namely the amount of force you put into your keystrokes, if you bottom out, how hard you bottom out and if there is any lateral movement of your fingers when you do so.

Blues feel more janky and rattle-y because of how they're constructed. There's more moving parts and things rattle around if you hit them hard enough. Clears don't have those vestegial parts so they feel more solid.

I'm sorry if none of that makes sense now but when you switch you will understand.

Then you'll get curious and want to try something with a box architecture like Hako Clears and that's definitely a good life decision.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I'm a big clear fan because I'm usually in a office and I think it's the best feedback without as much clack. feels good

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

streetlamp posted:

the 16" mbp is a pretty good place to plop your miami vice poker II on

(mx clears)

If you install karabiner you can disable the built in keyboard and put your mech right on top of the built in keys and have access to the trackpad. Makes the whole getup more mobile

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Yeah I use karabiner for a few rebindings but I use a mouse anyway and this is a semi temporary setup while my new work machine comes in. Hopefully a bunch of adapters also, I currently have 2 useless monitors at my desk. This 16" screen is real pretty though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
How do people feel about different key tray (if I am using the correct terminology) designs? I intentionally sought one out which was open and had very good clearance between the plate and the bottom of the key. My cat has very loose fur that tends to get stuck in there, and gets loving everywhere, so if the edges were closed off cleaning would be a massive pain and even for a very light clean would require removing several keys, blowing out with some compressed air, and probably using tweezers. But I see most good keyboards have closed off edges, so maybe I'm missing something.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Neurosis posted:

How do people feel about different key tray (if I am using the correct terminology) designs? I intentionally sought one out which was open and had very good clearance between the plate and the bottom of the key. My cat has very loose fur that tends to get stuck in there, and gets loving everywhere, so if the edges were closed off cleaning would be a massive pain and even for a very light clean would require removing several keys, blowing out with some compressed air, and probably using tweezers. But I see most good keyboards have closed off edges, so maybe I'm missing something.

I have a CODE (closed) and GMMK (open). The GMMK does seem like it would be a lot easier to clean.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The general term is "high-profile" for closed off and low-profile for the open design. I think aesthetically people are leaning towards high-profile again after a period where people got into the low-profile look. Low-profile keyboards are also a lot easier to design and manufacture.

For you, maybe a DataVac could be worth it if it's a common enough problem you have to deal with.

reL
May 20, 2007
So, after some time with the race 3 I've also decided that I need heavier switches, and so I'm selling it and looking for recommendations. I'm definitely going to go with something similar, 65%-ish, something with arrow keys and del/pgup/down/etc row tacked on the end, f-keys are negotiable. Backlighting not necessary, but preferred. I don't care about RGB and would likely just set it to a dim neutral color.

I'm also kind of into the idea of hot-swap switches, because other than the browns (and the poor home row indicators) I actually really love my race 3. I'm not trying to have an endless cycle of keyboard envy, so hotswap is appealing.

It looks like the KBD67 would be ideal, but also stupid expensive all said and done. What's everyone's thoughts on the drop alt? It seems to get mixed reviews online but I'm wondering if people are mainly just nitpicking it?

Also just looking for any additional suggestions that would fit my 65%, hot-swap, maybe-backlit, preferences?

edit: also switch recommendations. I have clears on my ducky fullsize, and I really love em. I've read (possibly even in this thread?) that halo clears are another similar option.

reL fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 13, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So thread, help me out. I want a board with gateron clears. The two options I see is to buy a drop control board and swap them in, (for like $300) or a few smaller boards on keyboards.com for $99 that have questionable reviews. Any ideas? There used to be a cheap board on amazon that had clears magicforce 68? For $40, but it doesn’t appear to be around anymore.

mewse
May 2, 2006

reL posted:

Also just looking for any additional suggestions that would fit my 65%, hot-swap, maybe-backlit, preferences?

Tada68 + whitefox come to mind

quote:

edit: also switch recommendations. I have clears on my ducky fullsize, and I really love em. I've read (possibly even in this thread?) that halo clears are another similar option.

Zealios (lol). outemu silent forest, durock koala

LionArcher posted:

So thread, help me out. I want a board with gateron clears. The two options I see is to buy a drop control board and swap them in, (for like $300) or a few smaller boards on keyboards.com for $99 that have questionable reviews. Any ideas? There used to be a cheap board on amazon that had clears magicforce 68? For $40, but it doesn’t appear to be around anymore.

I have to ask: You know gat clears are light linears and not stiff tactiles like cherry clears right?

This is an affordable TKL kit without switches: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073063135.html

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mewse posted:

Tada68 + whitefox come to mind

Zealios (lol). outemu silent forest, durock koala

I have to ask: You know gat clears are light linears and not stiff tactiles like cherry clears right?

This is an affordable TKL kit without switches: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073063135.html

Thank you and yes i do know that. I have a key tester and I love them the most easily.

Edit. Thanks for the link, that looks perfect but it looks like I have to solder? I like the drop board since I just have to pop in the clears :)

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 13, 2020

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Thank you and yes i do know that. I have a key tester and I love them the most easily.

Edit. Thanks for the link, that looks perfect but it looks like I have to solder? I like the drop board since I just have to pop in the clears :)

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-tkl-tenkeyless-brown-switch

Select customize and go wild. The clears you want are an option. Helped build one with a colleague last year who wanted a switch they didn't offer.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

reL posted:

So, after some time with the race 3 I've also decided that I need heavier switches, and so I'm selling it and looking for recommendations. I'm definitely going to go with something similar, 65%-ish, something with arrow keys and del/pgup/down/etc row tacked on the end, f-keys are negotiable. Backlighting not necessary, but preferred. I don't care about RGB and would likely just set it to a dim neutral color.

I'm also kind of into the idea of hot-swap switches, because other than the browns (and the poor home row indicators) I actually really love my race 3. I'm not trying to have an endless cycle of keyboard envy, so hotswap is appealing.

It looks like the KBD67 would be ideal, but also stupid expensive all said and done. What's everyone's thoughts on the drop alt? It seems to get mixed reviews online but I'm wondering if people are mainly just nitpicking it?

If you really love your race 3 other than the switches, and also really love clears... Why not get a race 3 with clears?

I mean if it having neither hot-swappable switches nor backlighting is a deal breaker then that's fair, of course. But it is an option that exists.

Telum fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 14, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

reL posted:

Are you looking for buyers for the Race 3? If it's in Europe I might be interested

reL
May 20, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

If you really love your race 3 other than the switches, and also really love clears... Why not get a race 3 with clears?

Because I want to stem the tide of one hundred keyboards that it seems everyone gets swept up in by giving myself the easy ability to change the typing experience.

I'm not aesthetically motivated like many keyboard fans, I'm mostly about the typing, and I do enjoy experimenting. I'd rather try and avoid a dozen keyboards.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are you looking for buyers for the Race 3? If it's in Europe I might be interested

Sorry, I'm US and it's already spoken for.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k6-a-compact-65-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Damnit, why can't they give me the K2 but hotswap. I need my function keys but want this so bad.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Has anyone seen a layout that is the standard 60% but with a standard numpad slapped on the right-hand side? Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

https://tinyurl.com/uwo5vd7

You can ignore the crazy legends I slapped on. I feel like I'd seen a PCB someone was designing that was this layout, but I can't for the life of me remember anything else about it.

edit: also QMK support is a must

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Basically a Vortex Vibe right?

Unfortunately the only ones I've seen is the UK78 and Southpaw. I was interested in one as well in the past, but settled with a 96-key layout. I'm sure someone out there is running an interest check on the same thing though.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Yeah, pretty much a Vortex Vibe with split space and split right shift :(

Thanks for the heads up on the UK78. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ICs and the like

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k6-a-compact-65-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Damnit, why can't they give me the K2 but hotswap. I need my function keys but want this so bad.

This is super tempting (even though I already have my alt) But I can't help but think of all the bad stuff I've heard about Alice (EDIT: It's not Alice but whatever USB-C / Bluetooth kbd that has all the issues)

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 16, 2020

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Are there any other wireless 65% hot-swappable keyboards? I can't really find any, and that kind of ticks all the boxes otherwise...

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
What is Alice in regards to the k6..? Oh I see the edit now, yeah I dunno. I use my k2 for 8-10 hours in BT mode, then bring it downstairs and plug it into the cable for my pc and swap the switch toggles. Haven’t seen any issues with it for either mode, and it’s on BT Mac, wired PC.

I’ve been using my k2 since I earlier posted about getting it. It works perfect for me and I am if not buying the k6, I’m buying a second k2 so I don’t have to move it to and from my office.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

foutre posted:

Are there any other wireless 65% hot-swappable keyboards? I can't really find any, and that kind of ticks all the boxes otherwise...

How do you feel about Kickstarter? Two 65% hot-swappable projects are going right now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/velocifire/velocifire-m2-a-portable-customizable-wireless-mechanical

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Brown switches? RGB? :getin:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Got this epic piece of plastic from ebay. All I need to do now is make the controller from scratch..

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Has anyone seen a layout that is the standard 60% but with a standard numpad slapped on the right-hand side? Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

https://tinyurl.com/uwo5vd7

You can ignore the crazy legends I slapped on. I feel like I'd seen a PCB someone was designing that was this layout, but I can't for the life of me remember anything else about it.

edit: also QMK support is a must

If you're willing to go old school (and I do mean OLD school), you could always track down an IBM Model F.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

I pre ordered it with hot swap. It’s what I’ve been looking for so I can pop in gateron clears. Stoked

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

onesixtwo posted:

Now that I know the K2 exists I'm totally with you. I've always been curious about the idea of a compact keyboard but I've never been willing to give up the F-row. The K2 layout with socketed switches would be perfect.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

If everything's on Kickstarter anyway I'm up for it, thanks! Backed the Velocifire, will report back to the thread re: how it is.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hey all, I'm still new to all this mechanical stuff, and I was planning to get a "Ducky One 2 Horizon TKL" with Cherry blues for my primary kb.
I placed an order on mechanicalkeyboards.com a couple weeks ago, and at the time that specific combo was listed as "pre-order only" so I figured it'd be a bit of a wait; I don't recall what ETA showed at the time of order... but now when I check the availability page it just says "out of stock" and no ETA at all for another shipment. Not sure if this means my order is just SOL? I guess I'm thinking to just cancel the order for a refund.

Anyways, in the meantime I started thinking maybe I would prefer something with clears over blues, based on some of the recent discussion here. So cancelling would be a good option for me to change my mind on that. Seems like there are hardly any TKL models on that MK site available with clears though.

Hoping to spend not much over $100 for a TKL with PBT, and preferably with detachable USB-C cable. I'm not too picky about specific visual details of keycap colors/fonts etc, and prefer boring non-rgb where its an option. I mean I did like that ducky horizon color scheme, and "skyline" looked good too, but yeah availability just doesn't seem to be happening.

I looked around some more and I found this one that is available with clears in their "space grey" color:
https://www.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Interface/dp/B078HFTTYK

Anyone know anything about this brand/model? Seems to have pretty good avg. rating, but I trust the validity of amazon reviews less and less lately.
Oh, and I don't know anything about fancy key-remapping and macro functionality (and I don't anticipate I will really ever bother with it), but like I shouldn't need special drivers or anything for the thing to just work with standard layout, right?
I ask because I mainly use Linux, and the description on this kb talks about having its own configuration software, and says win/mac compatible but no mention of Linux.

BTW, I already picked up a cheapo G-Skill KM360 off amazon to tide me over while I waited for that ducky. Its probably the lowest cost mech board with real cherrys @ $50.
I guess its a decent entry-level deal as mechanical boards go, if you don't mind the reds (only option), but I think I was something with more tactile and/or clicky feel.
Also idk exact term for this, bu I'm not a big fan of the way there's no "border" on the "case", the keys just stick up above the base fo the kb, I guess this style is supposed to be easier to clean or something.
And caps are ABS (double shot), but I guess you can't ask for much more at this price point.
I just got it as more of a secondary/backup kb since I have a few mostly headless systems that I occasionally hook up kb/monitor to.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I suggest emailing MK.com if you're still interested in the board. It could easily be a limited pre-order and they're out of pre-order units.

Durgod is great. I don't own any, but plenty of goons and other folks do and they're solid.

G-Skill KM360 is great for the price too. Real Cherry doesn't really even matter anymore considering they're the least exciting switch out there.

The no border style is called low profile and at the time the style got popular was a win/win for keyboards because a) has a modern aesthetic b) probably easier for manufacturers to build

The ones with borders are called high profile.

Caps being ABS or PBT doesn't really tell you the whole story. There's lovely brittle and thin ABS and there's thick high quality ABS. Same goes for PBT (though to be fair, when a manufacturer bothers with even using PBT, it's usually a decent quality)

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Excuse the lovely instagram image, but my DSA magic girl keycaps came in today and I'm really happy with how they look.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a full wireless keyboard for work? Currently I use a Ducky One 2 with red silent switches which I love, but they’re switching to “open seating” which means I’ll have to use the lovely, dirty, germy work provided keyboards OR I can just pack a wireless keyboard into my backpack each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Niz Micro 82 has Bluetooth 4 LE and connects up to 3 devices. They use EC switches, which are very light tactiles.