Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They're saying the announcement for the X-T4 and X100V will be February 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can modern Sony mirrorless cameras fire regular ISO hotshoe flash triggers? I know for a while Minolta had their own bizarro interface and I thought some of the NEX cameras were incompatible as well.

Looking at an A7iii tonight, just curious whether I’ll possibly need to invest in an adapter to activate my Yongnuo wireless trigger.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, anything with an MIS shoe can fire dumb centerpin triggers or flashes.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Any thoughts on the Fuji 16-80? My 18-55 hit concrete. It wasn't a very good copy to begin with, and from what I've gathered from anecdotal posts on other forums, the later batches of that lens (which would include my copy) were lacking in quality control compared to those that were produced back in the X-T1 days.

I really kind of want a stabilized lens for general use, and that means either the 18-55 or the 16-80.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Any thoughts on the Fuji 16-80? My 18-55 hit concrete. It wasn't a very good copy to begin with, and from what I've gathered from anecdotal posts on other forums, the later batches of that lens (which would include my copy) were lacking in quality control compared to those that were produced back in the X-T1 days.

I really kind of want a stabilized lens for general use, and that means either the 18-55 or the 16-80.

It's one of the reasons I decided to switch to Fuji, and early press seemed really positive, but then I got a kit with the 16-55 and really don't have a reason to get it, unless I get sick of the weird bokeh balls that lens does sometimes. If I didn't have the 16-55 I would for sure get the 16-80.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The reviews have made it sound sharp from f/4 and good quality. Sounds like it’s a winner, especially if you want that bit more reach plus IS.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

have any of my fellow m43 kings noticed Panasonic G-series cameras missing face focus consistently as the battery runs down? G95 and the panasonic 25mm f1.7 in this instance

admittedly this was in low light and I had a superfluous UV filter on the lens, might have had a speck or reflection or something on it making it miss focus up and to the left of people's faces

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I love my 16-55 2.8, but the 16-80 get excellent reviews too.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

wolfs posted:

have any of my fellow m43 kings noticed Panasonic G-series cameras missing face focus consistently as the battery runs down? G95 and the panasonic 25mm f1.7 in this instance

admittedly this was in low light and I had a superfluous UV filter on the lens, might have had a speck or reflection or something on it making it miss focus up and to the left of people's faces

yeah, I've had it where 3rd party batteries run hot and did weird bad things to sensor noise and autofocus, though its only happened twice, both on dive trips where I was burning through battery. swore off the cheap batteries after that. low light AF is bad as is though, might have just been that

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I ended up picking up the A7iii I looked at.

Initial impressions:

Great IQ with the kit lens, but I think I'm going to quickly invest in a 24-105 F4 over the kit. I'd like a LITTLE more reach, and I constantly find myself forgetting to set back from f/5.6, being used to constant max aperture lenses. Since I saved a bit of money on the camera I can deal with shelling out $1600 canada funbux.

The menu system is .. not great, but much better than the "menu" that came on my NEX-5N so that was almost a pleasant surprise? Gradual progress. Maybe in another ten years Sony will have figured out how to do a menu that nobody hates.

I'm having some trouble figuring out what I want to do for autofocus. I used to back-button AF back in the day but TBH I haven't used anything but half-shutter for a while now. I'd love to figure out if the camera can let me select a subject with a tracking point, then track the subject while I recompose. The menus don't really make it clear so I'm working through YouTube to see if it's a possibility. Otherwise, switching AF points isn't a disaster with touch controls on the rear LCD.

I much prefer the size over my D610, though the weight isn't a super significant difference. If I weren't already looking to go back to mirrorless I'd say that I could just have found a 24-105 for my D610 and called it a day, rather than lugging my various zooms on trips.

I was also considering an XT-3 and sticking with Fuji, though my only Fuji lens is the 35 1.4 and Samyang 8mm on my XPro-1. The 16-80 would have probably fit the bill really nicely. I decided to opt for full frame for now even though I doubt seriously I'm using it to its full possibility. The XT-3 might have been a better choice, but I'll give this a fair shake in Japan in May and see where I want to go. I'll unload my D610 and lenses now, as well as the Fuji body, but the Fuji lenses I'll hang onto I think.

The Nikon was an alright competitor and the kit lens was probably going to do me just fine, but in the end I just wasn't as excited about it as I'd hoped.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

The A73 kinda has that sort of thing for objects but not really. Set your AF to AF-C and change your focus area (iirc by default under the function menu but lol who knows) to something like flexible point: <size>. This will still show a regular focusing point when you're not focusing, but will instead sorta break down into many smaller points which sorta have a not-really sticky tracking and can sorta??? Follow things. Don't expect miracles.

Unless you're talking about people/pets and eyes in which case it works wonderfully and intuitively. Just use AF-C. And don't forget to update your firmware.

The really crazy rear end real-time tracking is reserved for what, the A9, A73R (???), and the A7R4 afaik.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I bought that lens when it came out, and have completely stopped using the 18-55. I'm not qualified to give technical recommendation, and can only say that I am very happy with it. It is bulkier. If I ever need something more pocketable, and don't want to use a prime I may put the kit lens back on for a minute.

That's the point. by ms, on Flickr

recruitment photo by ms, on Flickr

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I'm on vacation at the moment with my 16-80, 55-200, 35/2 and 16/1.4, and I've probably spent 80% of the time with the 16-80 on. Its bigger/bulkier than the 18-55 but pretty comparable to the 16/1.4 which I love, and it's super convenient for walking around. The couple of days with drizzle/dust/smoke really made me appreciate the weather sealing too.

Only significant annoyance I've encountered is a tendency to revert to close focus when on manual on start-up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was trying some off camera lighting and hoo boy. Sony trying to drive me bananas by hiding the exposure preview setting on the A7iii.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Martytoof posted:

Was trying some off camera lighting and hoo boy. Sony trying to drive me bananas by hiding the exposure preview setting on the A7iii.

C'mon, walk us thru how many steps it took and how long to find it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

torgeaux posted:

C'mon, walk us thru how many steps it took and how long to find it.

Before or after I reset all my camera settings to default? :q:

I just youtubed it in the end.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Martytoof posted:

Before or after I reset all my camera settings to default? :q:

I just youtubed it in the end.

Thank God for YouTube. Sometimes I just brainfart on a setting and I don't even try to find it on my own anymore.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Martytoof posted:

I recommend Gary Friedman’s ebook for new and experienced users. Has a quick reference card and it goes through every menu option.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
On the Fuji zoom chat, for general use which do you guys think is better? The 16-55 or the 16-80? I've been looking at the 16-55 but the reviews on the 16-80 also look pretty good.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 11, 2020

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

On the Fuji zoom chat, for general use which do you guys think is better? The 16-55 or the 16-80? I've been looking at the 16-55 but the reviews on the 16-80 also look pretty good.

They’re both very good. I’m happy with my 16-55, I would no doubt also be happy with the 16-80. Buy your conscience and perhaps on price.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

fknlo posted:

Depends. I value reach over a faster lens, so a 16-80 F4 would be ideal for landscape and general shooting.

That being said the 16-55mm is stupidly good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

I recommend Gary Friedman’s ebook for new and experienced users. Has a quick reference card and it goes through every menu option.

Thanks for this. I just finished binging his YouTube channel to boot and I think I have enough to make sense of this stuff now.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Could someone help me understand the functional difference between using an electronic vs a mechanical shutter? My X-T2 has ES, MS, and some weird combined ES+MS setting. Obviously using ES won't count against the activation lifespan or whatever, and it's good for image stability on a tripod, but are there any real disadvantages to using it to worry about? From what I can tell, ES photos come out just a tiny bit darker, but that might be entirely subjective. If there's a good article on the tradeoffs I'd be really interested!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Could someone help me understand the functional difference between using an electronic vs a mechanical shutter? My X-T2 has ES, MS, and some weird combined ES+MS setting. Obviously using ES won't count against the activation lifespan or whatever, and it's good for image stability on a tripod, but are there any real disadvantages to using it to worry about? From what I can tell, ES photos come out just a tiny bit darker, but that might be entirely subjective. If there's a good article on the tradeoffs I'd be really interested!

Movement can mess things up, fluorescent lights can cause banding, and you can't use flash with it.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
When the camera reads information from the sensor it takes time, so the part it reads first will be from an earlier time than the party it reads last, and moving things get smeared out. Some cameras have more of an issue with it than others. A physical shutter closing cuts off light and stops exposure then the sensor is read out, so it doesn't have this problem.

Electronic shutter also probably produces images with less dynamic range.

The mixed mode uses only the second physical shutter (the closing one but skips the opening one). This prevents shuttershock (opening the shutter wiggles the camera and makes the picture less sharp) and rolling shutter. I've heard it can affect out of focus rendering at high shutter speeds in some cases, but you can probably use this mode without issue.

Edit: there are other types of physical shutters that aren't two curtains too.

Fools Infinite fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 12, 2020

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Actually Fuji counts all shutter actuations - manual and electronic - are included in the shutter count.

Electronic has trouble with panning and fast motion, funky lighting conditions, and you can't use it with flash. But it's silent and you can get very fast shutter speeds, and fast continuous shooting.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Thanks friends, this is all very helpful.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fools Infinite posted:

If Fuji ever releases an X100-style fixed lens leaf shutter camera for the GFX platform I would become very poor very quickly.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Fools Infinite posted:

When the camera reads information from the sensor it takes time, so the part it reads first will be from an earlier time than the party it reads last, and moving things get smeared out. Some cameras have more of an issue with it than others. A physical shutter closing cuts off light and stops exposure then the sensor is read out, so it doesn't have this problem.

Electronic shutter also probably produces images with less dynamic range.

The mixed mode uses only the second physical shutter (the closing one but skips the opening one). This prevents shuttershock (opening the shutter wiggles the camera and makes the picture less sharp) and rolling shutter. I've heard it can affect out of focus rendering at high shutter speeds in some cases, but you can probably use this mode without issue.

This is not quite correct. The mixed ES+MS mode lets the camera automatically determine the most suitable shutter for the conditions eg. very bright light = ES, which goes to 1/32000. Or very low light = MS, which allows for exposures longer than 1s.

What you described is the EF (electronic front-curtain) shutter, which is useful for minimising shutter shock.

Confusingly, Fuji treats each as a separate shutter type, and there's a mode that lets the camera automatically choose between all three. My cameras are set to MS most of the time, and I change the shutter type when I run into the limitations of the mechanical shutter.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If Fuji ever releases an X100-style fixed lens leaf shutter camera for the GFX platform I would become very poor very quickly.

Huh, I always thought that a leaf shutter system would require a new lens system, since the shutter would be in the lens not body. Are there any leaf-shutter-in-body cameras, with 'normal' lenses?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hello Spaceman posted:

Huh, I always thought that a leaf shutter system would require a new lens system, since the shutter would be in the lens not body. Are there any leaf-shutter-in-body cameras, with 'normal' lenses?

No, I mean something like the X100, which has fixed 23mm lens with a leaf shutter, but on a GFX sensor and processor with a leaf shutter lens of an equivalent FOV, like a 40 or something and all the usual manual dials. I'd pay basically any amount of money for that.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

No, I mean something like the X100, which has fixed 23mm lens with a leaf shutter, but on a GFX sensor and processor with a leaf shutter lens of an equivalent FOV, like a 40 or something and all the usual manual dials. I'd pay basically any amount of money for that.

Ohhhhh gotcha. That would rule, though I wonder how small a body they could squeeze that MF sensor into. The 50S/R are both already xbox hueg in normal-sized hands. I'd be too embarrassed to use one in public.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

I agree that this would rule. Basically a digital version of the Texas Leica/GSW690III.

I’d also pay handsomely for an X70 with an EVF and tilt screen (basically an X100 without the optical viewfinder but with an 18.5mm lens and tilting screen).

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 15, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frogbs posted:

I’d also pay handsomely for an X70 with an EVF and tilt screen (basically an X100 without the optical viewfinder but with an 18.5mm lens and tilting screen).

Weather seal it and I’d replace my X100F

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

frogbs posted:

I agree that this would rule. Basically a digital version of the Texas Leica/GSW690III.

I love the tilt screen on my X70 better than the ones on my other Fujis, primarily because it's just a quick flip screen. That's perfect for that camera. I would love an EVF though...and maybe a 23mm lens instead of the 18.5. It's just a bit too wide.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

everyone lusts after fixed primes...

I'm still curious about that Zeiss ZX1. No news about it for ages!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

XBenedict posted:

I would love an EVF though...and maybe a 23mm lens instead of the 18.5. It's just a bit too wide.
There's already one of those though, the X100F. I've been wishing the thing was wider since the moment I got it, I can always crop if need be but if I'm in a tight space [shops and restaurants specifically] I just can't get some shots with 35mm equivalent.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hello Spaceman posted:

The 50S/R are both already xbox hueg in normal-sized hands. I'd be too embarrassed to use one in public.

Haha come on man.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeast posted:

Haha come on man.
XBox-Pro 2

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeast posted:

Haha come on man.

Yeah I'd be embarrassed to use a Canon in public too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Pshh. Not me. I get compliments on mine all the time.