Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm digging through the Disney+ selection after finishing Mandalorian and I've found that Treasure Planet and Tron: Legacy are pretty solid Star Wars stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I never even saw Treasure Planet or Atlantis, like at all.

Tron: Legacy kind of frustrated me, one of those movies that was cool and good whenever it was doing its own thing and kind of stupid whenever they were trying to redo stuff from the first movie.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When I saw that that was when I really gave up on RoS.

And it made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt2uIhAvQZ8&t=578s
Just too close to "and everyone stood up and clapped" to the end of the story.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

“I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me.”

“Now that I’m with you again, I’m in agony. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar.”

“…I’m not afraid to die. I’ve been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.”

these are the only "bad" lines here but this is poo poo a moody tenager in love might say(or more realistically write on their livejournal)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Elfgames posted:

these are the only "bad" lines here but this is poo poo a moody tenager in love might say(or more realistically write on their livejournal)

Bill Shakes showed you can write moody teenagers and still have it be pretty good.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Bill Shakes showed you can write moody teenagers and still have it be pretty good.

sure but starwars is a fairytale and like anakin is an overdramatic weirdo even when he becomes vader

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The dialogue thing kind of reminds me of the Matrix movies back in the day, where I'd see people talk about how crappy the dialogue was and they invariably were talking specifically about the Architect

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Obi-Wan's "I have the high ground" is a little bit of tragedy. He's been following in Qui-Gon's "do as I say, not as I do" footsteps in teaching Anakin, speaking in Jedi platitudes when what Anakin probably needed was for him to listen. Obi-Wan's Jedi training gets him past Anakin's rage, and on beating him has one last chance to connect with him...and falls back into that training again, patronizing Anakin by referring to the Jedi Quick Start Guide (speaking of "high ground" as if it were a familiar subject, though we've not seen that lesson on the screen).

Obi-Wan was not a good teacher, but he was exactly what Anakin needed to fulfill the prophecy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

homullus posted:

Obi-Wan's "I have the high ground" is a little bit of tragedy. He's been following in Qui-Gon's "do as I say, not as I do" footsteps in teaching Anakin, speaking in Jedi platitudes when what Anakin probably needed was for him to listen. Obi-Wan's Jedi training gets him past Anakin's rage, and on beating him has one last chance to connect with him...and falls back into that training again, patronizing Anakin by referring to the Jedi Quick Start Guide (speaking of "high ground" as if it were a familiar subject, though we've not seen that lesson on the screen).

Obi-Wan was not a good teacher, but he was exactly what Anakin needed to fulfill the prophecy.

One of the things cut from Revenge was, as Anakin was about to burn just after that and he's crawling towards Obi-Wan, he was meant to beg Obi-Wan to save him. You can still kinda hear it/see him say it, and then Obi-Wan wouldn't because... he can't Anakin's too far gone. Which would lead to the screaming of "I hate you"

Which, also, is a great loop around to Luke and Vader. Luke till the end believed he could help Vader, that he could be saved, even with Obi-Wan and Yoda telling him "No, you gotta loving kill him." If Obi-Wan had actually... tried to save Anakin, Vader probably wouldn't exist, Anakin could probably be turned back, hell Padme might not have died from 'A Broken Heart' Or, seeing that his actions lead to her dead, might have been the reason for Anakin to turn back. Instead, Obi-Wan determined "I can't help you, you've fallen to the dark side, I have to leave you to burn." while simultaneously crying that Anakin was a brother to him. Another failure on the part of the Jedi, Obi-Wan could neither give Anakin a peaceful death, not attempt to save him. Let's be clear, not that Anakin would be forgiven for leading the march on the order and killing kids, but, his rise as Vader, and the tragedies to follow are on Obi-Wan's shoulders. Just like it's on Yoda's shoulders that when Anakin was torn about Padme that Yoda basically told him "Let go, don't be upset." Which is a failing on the whole Jedi Order, because the entire restriction on loved ones and family was what lead Anakin to have to keep it a secret and cause him emotional turmoil that wouldn't exist if he could just be open with it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There is definitely something to be said for the Jedi Order being so afraid of the Dark Side that they banish feelings (and thus banish their ability to perceive, well, anything), ending ultimately with Luke disobeying both Yoda and Obi-Wan at the end of Return of the Jedi, to his ultimate success.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I kind of wish the Jedi Order from the Tales of the Jedi had been more explored, as they don't have a lot of those silly restrictions on love, marriage, and attachments. But they do have the other big failing of the Jedi; refusal to kill prisoners who are totally going to the Dark Side and need to be stopped before it's too late.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Again, Yoda is a huge hypocrite, because when Anakin and Obi-wan sere set to be executed he and Windu came running in with the cavalry. They'll bend the rules for themselves but not for anakins slave mother

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I kind of wish the Jedi Order from the Tales of the Jedi had been more explored, as they don't have a lot of those silly restrictions on love, marriage, and attachments. But they do have the other big failing of the Jedi; refusal to kill prisoners who are totally going to the Dark Side and need to be stopped before it's too late.

Just read literally any caped superhero comic from the last 50 years for that old chestnut.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The smg challenge is harder than it looks because 1. I don't remember the context for half of that garbage 2. UNLIMITED POWER is perfect and 3. ideally you'd rewrite the whole scene which would require 1.

Those are some bad lines though

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

The smg challenge is harder than it looks because 1. I don't remember the context for half of that garbage 2. UNLIMITED POWER is perfect and 3. ideally you'd rewrite the whole scene which would require 1.

Those are some bad lines though

How are they bad?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Presumably because they aren’t naturalistic

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're maclunky imo

It's a fun challenge though I just don't remember enough about what's actually happening around the lines to participate lol

quote:

Again, Yoda is a huge hypocrite, because when Anakin and Obi-wan sere set to be executed he and Windu came running in with the cavalry. They'll bend the rules for themselves but not for anakins slave mother

Turns out the Jedi sucked all along

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 13, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Speaking of good lines : dookus “it may be difficult to secure your release” is an excellent line

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Speaking of good lines : dookus “it may be difficult to secure your release” is an excellent line

I like the one gungan in Episode 1 who's like "weesa hosed"

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

RBA Starblade posted:

Right, but look at how zer0spunk presented the writing: as a list of self-evidently bad dialogue. But any substantial assessment should engage with their presence in and of the story.

For example, the complaint of overly sappy dialogue is only directed at Anakin & Padme, which leaves out how, when he reaches out to Padme, his lack, as someone who has been taught to repress his emotions, takes the form of melodrama.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

The original idea for Star Wars was one movie about the tragedy of Darth Vader. But as the story grew, it ended up being three movies and the backstory was never explained. I decided that it would be important to finish it off and do the backstory because things that I thought would be self-evident about the story, the audience didn’t get. Over the 10 years after Return of the Jedi, I realized people misunderstood a lot — such as where Anakin came from. So it was a way of finishing the whole thing off.

from a retrospective article on the production of ep 1..pretty good read..

quote:

George Lucas: The inspiration for Star Wars, one of the very first ideas, was when Richard Nixon tried to change the Constitution so that he could run for a third term. We all knew he was a crook, he was a bad guy, he did terrible things and we sort of chugged along with it. It wasn’t until the impeachment, and really even later than that, that we understood how completely corrupt he was.

But that was the idea, which was, “How does a democracy crumble? How does it die?” When it doesn’t die with a revolution — it does in some cases — but not in the world of the ideal democracy, which we thought we had at that time, how does that happen? Would the people vote for it? And yes, they do vote for it, that’s the whole point. There’s an outside threat, and that threat allows the tyrant to take over. And the populace gives up the democratic powers and this guy is suddenly running the show. You end up with the Empire.

That’s what happened with Palpatine, ultimately. Everybody thought he was a nice guy. But he wasn’t. He was a politician and he was ambitious, and he was a Sith Lord, but he didn’t talk about it. And he was plotting to take over the Republic. He wasn’t just a bad guy that ran around killing people.

it just reinforces the good idea done badly thing from nth pages of this thread

e2: the first version of maul from that article is fuckin' terrifying

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 13, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Right, but look at how zer0spunk presented the writing: as a list of self-evidently bad dialogue. But any substantial assessment should engage with their presence in and of the story.

For example, the complaint of overly sappy dialogue is only directed at Anakin & Padme, which leaves out how, when he reaches out to Padme, his lack, as someone who has been taught to repress his emotions, takes the form of melodrama.

Right. What it comes down to is that people want the scenes to be something else. Which means wanting the characters to be different characters, or, more generally, wanting the movies not to have been what they are. Although words like "execution" are thrown around, the disapproval that so many people have for them is fundamentally conceptual.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smg you used to have a pdf of a Lucas interview with a USC film student from right before TFM and I can’t find it anymore of you still have it I’d love to see it again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: Fuckin compare this to the poo poo we got in the sequel trilogy, the most milquetoast thing possible. Even the prequels has something the ST desperately lacked..

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zer0spunk posted:

e2: the first version of maul from that article is fuckin' terrifying

That's a way cooler design than the space devil look

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: Fuckin compare this to the poo poo we got in the sequel trilogy, the most milquetoast thing possible. Even the prequels has something the ST desperately lacked.

A lot of the creative leads in the article have the vibe of doing everything they can to get it right, or meet his approval because of their reverence of the OG trilogy, whereas the new disney stuff doesn't give a poo poo at all. Maybe that's one of the bigger factors...there's no head hancho to veto everything

You also have people fighting for practical effects across the trilogy and obviously losing in ep 2 & 3.

quote:

John Knoll: To be perfectly frank, I was getting a lot of pressure from George and Rick to do less with miniatures and more with digital techniques. And what George told me, this was, I think, during Episode II or III, he was pushing back on me wanting to do so much with miniatures. He said, “Listen, the future is in computer graphics with these digital techniques, and you’re using miniatures as a crutch. You’re going to have to get better at doing this computer graphics work and expand the palette of things you’re going to be able to do that way. And the way you’re going to get good at it is doing it, so I’m going to kick the crutch out from under you and it’s for your own good. Don’t build so many miniatures. Do this stuff more with digital techniques because you need to be doing that.”

Even though my preference would have been to keep doing what I was doing on Episode I. I look back on a lot of the miniature work we did on Episode I and I think it still looks amazing.
*john knoll was a vfx supervisor

poo poo like this kills me because practical effects end up with a timeless quality to them, CGI is instantly dated by whatever decade it was made.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even so, there were still an awful lot of miniatures in Attack of the Clones.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Even so, there were still an awful lot of miniatures in Attack of the Clones.

Yeah, and Lucas's whole point here was advancing the technology and process and not just falling back on doing stuff the same way as always because it's in your comfort zone. He explicitly says in that quote that it will expand the guy's skillset to start working in digital, he's not saying "only do digital because I think minis are dumb" he's saying "do digital so that you have a larger toolset to work with".

The person in question's final thoughts:

quote:

John Knoll: I still feel like I owe George a lot to have been given that opportunity. On those three films, I feel like I got a whole career’s worth of experience packed into eight years. George never constricted his thinking to what he knew for sure the tools were capable of; his attitude was, “Yeah, well, I’m writing what I want to see, so you guys will figure it out.” I loved that he would constantly throw those challenges out with the confidence [that] you guys will figure it out. That was great.

[Laughs] I remember saying, “If I survive Episode I, nothing’s ever going to faze me again. If I can do that, I can do anything.” It really kind of was that way; then I wasn’t at all ever worried or intimidated about big shows. “Yeah, we got a process for doing it, we’ll figure it out.” I really developed a lot of confidence in the process of how we break these things down and how we manage big projects.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

quote:

Darth Maul is described as “a vision from your worst nightmare.” That was all I needed, because that’s a very clear direction, and I know my worst nightmares.

I drew my worst nightmare, which was that face that’s peering in the window at you late at night, and it’s barely alive. Like a cross between a ghost and a serial killer staring in at you, and it’s raining, and the rain is distorting the face. So I drew that, a stylized version of it, red ribbons instead of rain, and put it in a folder, and at the meeting passed it over to George. George opened it up and went, “Oh, my God,” slammed it shut, handed it back, and said, “Give me your second worst nightmare.”
lmao badass

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
til i learned that darth maul had horns because of a miscommunication and should have had feathers as per the actual sketch. darth feathers

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

As usual SNK's character designers chart the course:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In a tabletop Star Wars game I played a Jedi who fought with his fists called Buster Starwolf.

He would ask people if they were okay after beating them up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

In a tabletop Star Wars game I played a Jedi who fought with his fists called Buster Starwolf.

He would ask people if they were okay after beating them up.

gently caress yes that's awesome. :hfive:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My previous characters include a Duro outlaw technician known as "The Garagist" and an Ace Pilot called Max Renegade.

I'm trying for Lucasians names.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

My previous characters include a Duro outlaw technician known as "The Garagist" and an Ace Pilot called Max Renegade.

Scumm Baggano

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ri Sotto

Aran Cini

Tira Misu

Rib Ollita

Osso Buco

Po Lenta

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

homullus posted:

I didn't think about this until now, but is it true that on the spectrum of using the Force to see the future, Palpatine seems the most able, unorthodox and untrained Jedi sometimes get clear images, and Jedi masters basically suck at it? I think that might be true.
Force precognition is just a metaphor for knowing what's going on. Palpatine is a political mastermind who sees all the contradictions in the Republic and knows how to exploit them. Yoda is a spiritual leader who is out of his depth. Anakin's a child soldier who turns to fascism out of fear.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The Jedi Mind trick is just class privilege

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Force precognition is just a metaphor for knowing what's going on. Palpatine is a political mastermind who sees all the contradictions in the Republic and knows how to exploit them. Yoda is a spiritual leader who is out of his depth. Anakin's a child soldier who turns to fascism out of fear.

Sure, but that doesn't matter for my question. The ones who talk about Force precognition the most -- Jedi masters -- are, with all their rigorous training and disconnection from attachment, the worst at it. The ones who experience it the most are actively living their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

homullus posted:

Sure, but that doesn't matter for my question. The ones who talk about Force precognition the most -- Jedi masters -- are, with all their rigorous training and disconnection from attachment, the worst at it. The ones who experience it the most are actively living their lives.

The impression I got from the RotS novelization was that Palpatine himself was the reason for their loss of clarity, since he's such a great and terrible existential evil that the laws of the Force and the universe kind of recoil in horror, like the Star Wars equivalent of the Shadow in the Warp. Palpatine started exerting his influence at the start of the Prequel Trilogy, to keep the Jedi in the dark about his true intentions, but I guess it was a lot of work for him, since he stopped doing it during the OT once the Jedi were all wiped out and there was no further need for it.

Palpatine is exempt because he's the one causing it, Anakin is exempt because he's the Chosen One and therefore special and maybe Palpatine even deliberately made an exception for him? And of course the Jedi knights and masters are all blind because that's the whole point. We don't have a great frame of reference for "normal" padawans and trainees and stuff, but they're probably not having any better luck at it than their teachers.