Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Maybe my vision just sucks (I have a super asymmetrical prescription), but it seems like the stereoscopic effect is minute compared to relative-motion-based depth perception in video games. Especially without varifocal display mimicking the actual depth of field that our eyes perceive.

Rendering the scene twice is probably only moderately difficult, it just seems like a very marginal benefit even compared to displaying the same image on both eyes, if you're not doing any of the other VR-specific tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can I play Cities: Skylines with a thousand dollar Vive, because I think that would be a really cool dumb experience.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Can I play Cities: Skylines with a thousand dollar Vive, because I think that would be a really cool dumb experience.
Yeah, you can play any game on an impossibly big screen in VR, and then there's hacky poo poo you can do from there to make it stereoscopic and things

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That seems like it would be a fun way to play 4x and RTS games, kind of a god's eye view.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Owlbear Camus posted:

That seems like it would be a fun way to play 4x and RTS games, kind of a god's eye view.

Real talk, going in I was more excited about this than a lot of first person content.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm really hoping for a bigger RTS game for VR. I know there are a few of them but they look small scale.

I want Black and White VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Being big and looking at tiny things is severely underrated in VR

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lemming posted:

One of the best feelings in Acron is when you snatch up one of the squirrels, bring it right up to your face, and then hurl it 300 meters into the void.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

imo I like even more being normal size and looking at extremely tiny things. diorama scale has real power

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

homeless snail posted:

imo I like even more being normal size and looking at extremely tiny things.

my wife feels the same way which is good news for me

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

canyoneer posted:

my wife feels the same way which is good news for me

make her wear the goggles during and create a custom passthrough camera app that plays perspective tricks

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leal posted:

I want Black and White VR.

This also came to mind, but only if I can pick up my giant angry ape and pet it until it’s good.

Just kidding I’m gonna rub its nose in the poop for its insolence.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 14, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

imo I like even more being normal size and looking at extremely tiny things. diorama scale has real power

Rolling Line is what you want, then. Make your own model railway dioramas, or jump down onto the table and drive an individual train yourself from in the cab.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Infinite Karma posted:

Maybe my vision just sucks (I have a super asymmetrical prescription), but it seems like the stereoscopic effect is minute compared to relative-motion-based depth perception in video games. Especially without varifocal display mimicking the actual depth of field that our eyes perceive.

Rendering the scene twice is probably only moderately difficult, it just seems like a very marginal benefit even compared to displaying the same image on both eyes, if you're not doing any of the other VR-specific tricks.

IDK VR stereo feels completely different from flatscreen to me

I will say (and have before) I think accurate motion controls is the bigger game changer of VR than stereo HMD, but.... I would never call stereo "marginally" different to flatscreen.

There's a percentage of people who can't tell a difference between 3d movies and 2d, maybe you have some of that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the reverse. Real life seems pretty flat to me and VR is like wildly 3D to me

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wasn't this a condition, for which someone made an app to improve depth perception in real life? I remember something like shortly after the DK2 released. Can't remember the name of it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

There have been a lot of cases of people who don't have depth perception being able to see 3d in VR.

People theorize that the single plane of focus makes it an easier problem for the brain to figure out. Amazingly enough it seems to work as training wheels for a lot of people, after a while of seeing 3d in VR they can now see it in real life too.

Really really cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

There have been a lot of cases of people who don't have depth perception being able to see 3d in VR.

People theorize that the single plane of focus makes it an easier problem for the brain to figure out. Amazingly enough it seems to work as training wheels for a lot of people, after a while of seeing 3d in VR they can now see it in real life too.

Really really cool.

I vaguely remember someone in a thread ages back mentioning that they'd never had depth perception for most of their life, but seeing a Stereoscopic 3D movie just flipped a switch in their brain.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I know the 3DS has medical app(s) for opthalmologists to use as a diagnostic tool.

VorpX sounds like exactly what I was looking for, but the supportee game list is entirely games I either don't intend to replay, or don't intend to play at all :(.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wasn't this a condition, for which someone made an app to improve depth perception in real life? I remember something like shortly after the DK2 released. Can't remember the name of it.

Pretty sure it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoblindness

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
lol I meant the name of that app/game helping to overcome it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Zuckerburg thinks VR telepresence will magically supercede existing remote desktop technology. It's not a bad idea on paper if you think in traditional office-environment terms, but the simple hard truth is you can functionally do the same thing for a lot less effort and money with a cheap web camera and your computer. And most of your daily job almost certainly doesn't involve directly interacting with others or needing to sit in VR anyway.

Also HTC's slashed the Vive Pro's price to $600USD. Permanently. Gotta try to keep relevant against the Index, and I may have to think REAL hard about getting one seeing as the Index isn't available in Australia (:argh:) and my IPD's well outside its range anyway, so I'd need to try one before buying.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Zuckerburg thinks VR telepresence will magically supercede existing remote desktop technology. It's not a bad idea on paper if you think in traditional office-environment terms, but the simple hard truth is you can functionally do the same thing for a lot less effort and money with a cheap web camera and your computer. And most of your daily job almost certainly doesn't involve directly interacting with others or needing to sit in VR anyway.
lovely managers don't want their staff browsing the web or whatever during boring pointless meetings so a VR setup that doesn't allow you to multitask is something they'd be super interested in.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As a successful remote employee for the last 12 years who is rapidly developing an interest in plunking down some serious dosh for a VR setup, that’s the dumbest loving thing I’ve heard in a while.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Whatever helps him sleep at night. I count him as one of the causes for the Bay Area gridlock. Of all the companies in the Bay Area large enough to require multiple offices, Facebook is the one that has been the least willing to spread out. Facebook Headquarters also functions as the HQ for all of its other properties and sits next to a freeway that makes it accessible from SF/Peninsula, South Bay, and East Bay, which makes it approachable from many directions...as well as turns traffic to poo poo in all directions.

Google spent billions of its capital on quietly buying up tons of land across the Bay Area for the last decade, so it hasn't had the same problems, and both Amazon and Microsoft are making GBS threads up Seattle and Redmond much more so than down here in the Bay Area.

Facebook is expanding its HQ while also building a new separate AR/VR HQ halfway in between SF and its current HQ. I believe that move will include Portal hardware development as well, as that's under the AR/VR umbrella. That will likely encompass more product development than research as I think R&D is mostly in Washington (state), but I think part of the reason for the move among many is for dedicated prototyping hardware that can't really be built at FB HQ.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also HTC's slashed the Vive Pro's price to $600USD. Permanently. Gotta try to keep relevant against the Index, and I may have to think REAL hard about getting one seeing as the Index isn't available in Australia (:argh:) and my IPD's well outside its range anyway, so I'd need to try one before buying.

Great news. Getting VR to be more competitive at the lower prices can only be a good thing.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 14, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Vive Pro and a wireless kit is still a combo that's hard to beat, depending on your priorities. If they still sold the HMD independently I would probably upgrade, a shame they don't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

The Vive Pro and a wireless kit is still a combo that's hard to beat, depending on your priorities. If they still sold the HMD independently I would probably upgrade, a shame they don't.

They absolutely do though. :confused:

They've done so since it was released.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

ItBreathes posted:

How hard would it be for a game developer to add support for a VR headset as a stereoscopic display? Not full immersion, but genuine depth perception in an otherwise "flat" image.

It seems to me you'd just need to render from two cameras an eyewidth apart, but im no programmer / dev.

There are programs for this - VorpX is hardware agnostic but costs like $40 and has extremely mixed reviews, and others (like Helixvision) rely on Nvidia 3dvision which comes with its own whole separate can of worms. I happened to like helixvision when I bought it, but one of the many, many issues with it is it requires an old version of the Nvidia driver that doesn't have a major security update, and is also old enough that windows 10 tries to aggressively upgrade you out of it automatically.

Helixvision worked well for games that had good 3dfixes available (ie, games that would've looked good on any 3d vision monitor), but that list isn't super long and also requires you to meet a pretty long series of requirements to even try it. I think this technique is at its best when it isn't trying to inject VR into a game that doesn't support VR, but takes the "virtual theater" concept and just makes the big display you're looking at a 3D TV.

Some games do support this as a feature (play in 3d with no motion controller or 6dof support), like one of the Tomb raider games or the PC port of hellblade. The feature seemed to receive some amount of praise, but from a pretty small audience I'd imagine. Despite a VR headset being an obvious great 3D display, all the software that would let you play or view games in 3D pretty much disappeared or stopped receiving compatibility updates as VR was gaining popularity.

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 14, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ItBreathes posted:

How hard would it be for a game developer to add support for a VR headset as a stereoscopic display? Not full immersion, but genuine depth perception in an otherwise "flat" image.

It seems to me you'd just need to render from two cameras an eyewidth apart, but im no programmer / dev.

Yeah, you "just" render from two cameras. I mean... that's basically all you have to do for full VR, plus move the camera to track the head.

But there's no "just" in games programming. Rendering two camera views introduces tons of headaches.

And there's not really much demand or use case for a 3d game that isn't VR. Even something like Lucky's Tale, which is 3rd person, you still want to be able to look around. Having it being fixed would be annoying and feel weird.

(And sorry to nitpick but if it has depth it isn't flat. What you mean is a non-interactive camera, I think...)

The Big Bad Worf posted:

There are programs for this - VorpX is hardware agnostic but costs like $40 and has extremely mixed reviews, and others (like Helixvision) rely on Nvidia 3dvision which comes with its own whole separate can of worms. I happened to like helixvision when I bought it, but one of the many, many issues with it is it requires an old version of the Nvidia driver that doesn't have a major security update, and is also old enough that windows 10 tries to aggressively upgrade you out of it automatically.

Helixvision worked well for games that had good 3dfixes available (ie, games that would've looked good on any 3d vision monitor), but that list isn't super long and also requires you to meet a pretty long series of requirements to even try it. I think this technique is at its best when it isn't trying to inject VR into a game that doesn't support VR, but takes the "virtual theater" concept and just makes the big display you're looking at a 3D TV.

And the problem with stuff like vorpx is just hacking it in means you have to deal with all kinds of sensitivity and scaling issues.

But ItBreathes asked for a developer, so they wouldn't have all the hacky headaches stuff like VorpX does.

The real problem though is if the game isn't designed for VR, it generally won't play great in VR unless you heavily modify it.

And if you wanna see how much interest there was in making normal games stereoscopic, check out the Nvidia 3d glasses thing. It was a flop.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

Have you tried Fisherman's Tale?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Another way to get a non-VR game to display in VR is to use Reshade with the Depth3D shaders. It worked pretty well on the few games that I tried it with, which were all games that Vorpx refused to touch, so there's that. Also it's a free download, so the only thing it costs is some of your time

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They absolutely do though. :confused:

They've done so since it was released.

Huh.. i thought they stopped doing that once they had the kit available for some reason.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was like, "oh cool, about a thousand bucks for a wireless vive pro, that's pretty competitive with the full index kit" but no, that's the Vive Pro headset alone at $100 more than the Valve Index headset alone. It's $1200 for the full Vive Pro kit, which is insane when 2 Lighthouses and a set of Knuckles would be around $600 if they're back in stock - who the gently caress wants 2 Wands over 2 Knuckles for the same price?

Though if the Quest showed me anything, it's that wireless is worth a lot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly some of the best 2D->VR conversions come not from VorpX and reshade but from independent devs working on pet projects. Alien Isolation being a great example.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly some of the best 2D->VR conversions come not from VorpX and reshade but from independent devs working on pet projects. Alien Isolation being a great example.

Wasn’t Alien Isolation building off of official VR support that didn’t ship/was cancelled, but not removed completely?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It might have made it easier, but considering the mod uses a different VR APIs now I doubt much was carried over. The built-in support was extremely basic anyway.

The most weirdly impressive port is Richard Burns Rally. The menu interface is even displayed in a themed virtual environment on an old CRT, it works better in VR than Assetto Corsa does.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 14, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Wasn’t Alien Isolation building off of official VR support that didn’t ship/was cancelled, but not removed completely?

Yeah the basics were there but the dev has taken it much further than it was ever intended to go

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone played any emulator games with VR support? I heard that Dolphin apparently does VR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
While I remember; If anyone else is looking for some adhesive hooks to hang VR controllers on, I've found the Command Quartz Jumbo Hooks are the perfect size and style for Index controllers.

Their Medium Door Hooks are also juuust long enough for Vive wands too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren:ATTN: THROW YOUR INDEX IN THE drat GARBAGE:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p12QaZUZDnM