Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LuffyVeggies posted:

Time to float!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Well, all right then.

Iceberg time.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Iceberg, dead ahead!

quote:

You race toward the iceberg. It’s already a yard from the snowfield. You flip the spear onto the berg. Then you jump.

You hit the berg headfirst, skidding on your stomach.

Made it!

Back on the snowfield, Andy is paralyzed with fear.

“Come on!” you urge. You hold your hand out.

Andy glances back. The white creature is only a few yards away.

“Here goes nothing!” Andy shouts. He jumps, barely landing on the berg. You grab his hand and pull him to safety.

The berg begins to move faster. You’re afraid you’ll be swept off into the freezing water. You and Andy lie flat on the ice, digging into it with your fingernails.

“Where is it taking us?” Andy cries.

“Somewhere warm, I hope – like Iceland!” you reply.

All around, you see nothing but cold white ice.

And then you see something else: a huge shadow gliding across the ice.

quote:

You glance up to see what’s making the shadow.

You wish you hadn’t.

Above you, a pelican slowly flaps its wings. But this is no ordinary pelican! The mammoth creature has a wingspan the width of a football field. Its pouched beak could hold your entire house.

“I don’t believe it,” you gasp, rubbing your eyes.

“Me either,” Andy agrees. “Pelicans aren’t Arctic birds!”

That wasn’t exactly what you meant...

The bird swoops down to the water and scoops half a ton of fish into its huge mouth. Then it spots you. It begins circling.

It looks as if you’re dessert.

“I wish this game could end!” you wail.

But you know it can’t. You know it’s not a game. It’s real.

The pelican flaps closer. Its huge beak opens wide.

quote:

You have nowhere to hide on the iceberg.

You’ve got to do something quickly! But what?

Jump in the water? No, you’ll freeze.

How about throwing snowballs at the big bird?

Or – you suddenly remember the spear.

Maybe you ought to attack the monster bird with Andy’s spear.

Make up your mind before you get gobbled!

Throw snowballs on PAGE 20.

Use the spear on PAGE 100.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Stuck with a massive repair bill after digging our way through the VR machine.
Fed to a litter of Abominable Ice Puppies.
Escaped the virtual world, but swapped bodies with Andy in the process.
Accidentally caused a cave-in with a magnifying glass and a compass.
Forced to serve snowballs for an ice-tennis game for a hundred years.

Achievements
A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Spear it, because the obviously non-stupid answer is sure to get us killed stupidly.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's make us a shish kebird with that spear.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Blind that bird, with Science! snowballs!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Maugrim posted:

Spear it, because the obviously non-stupid answer is sure to get us killed stupidly.

These books have taught you well!

quote:

You rush to the other end of the iceberg. You grab the spear and hurl it at the humongous pelican.

Amazingly, it flies right into the creature’s eye!

“I did it!” you cry triumphantly.

With a dying scream, the gigantic pelican drops out of the sky.

Oh, no! It’s plunging down right on top of you! You’re about to be squashed by a ten-ton bird!

Smooth move, birdbrain. Now you’ll never get out of this Arctic adventure. Instead, you’re about to become hamburger – or make that ice-burger!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Squashed under the falling corpse of a ten-ton pelican.:siren:

Achievements
A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.

Our options posted:

• Play "Adrift off Vega".
  • Take the compass.
  • Win the arm-wrestling contest with Andy.
  • Throw snowballs at the pelican.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Throw the snowballs!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

You know, that compass looks really good to have now...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We are stronger than Andy

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Throw Snowballs. Ice-type beats Flying-type.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
You got the Compass!

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Throw a snowball, because I vaguely remember how that path might turn out and I need to know if that was a fever dream or not.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Snowball.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Shwoo posted:

Throw a snowball, because I vaguely remember how that path might turn out and I need to know if that was a fever dream or not.

Let's be honest, it'd be quicker to list the GYGB endings that aren't indistinguishable from fever dreams from the ones that are.

quote:

“Make snowballs to throw at the bird!” you scream at Andy. “Pack them hard, so they sting.”

You and Andy furiously build an arsenal of snowballs. As the bird approaches, you cock your arms, ready to throw.

It’s getting closer and closer... just another second.

At last the pelican is within striking distance. “Fire!” you shout.

Snowballs fly at the pelican.

quote:

Hold on. Did you really think a snowball would slow down a bird the size of Godzilla? Puh-lease!

The bird scoops you into its pouchy beak. You and Andy find yourselves treading freezing Arctic water – along with several seals and tons of fish. Everything sloshes around as the bird swoops through the air.

“Snowballs. G-g-g-great i-d-d-d-dea,” Andy complains through chattering teeth.

Without warning, the bird opens its mouth. Half the contents spill out – including you and Andy. You land with a thud in a giant bowl made of sticks and mud. A nest!

The bird flies off. You stare after it. “Why did it let us go?” you ask.

Andy looks glum. “I think it’s saving us for a snack.”

You peer over the side. The nest sits atop a steep, snow-covered mountain. Clouds ring the base. You can’t see what’s down there – not that it matters. It would take you hours to hike down. And if the bird comes back, it will pick you off easily.

But then you spot something in the nest.

Something that just might save your life!

quote:

The nest is piled with giant bits of broken eggshell. Obviously, the pelican’s babies must have hatched recently.

“We’re history,” Andy moans.

You study the broken eggshells. “Maybe not.”

You drag two pieces of eggshell to Andy. The curved shells are two inches thick and three feet wide. “What do these remind you of?” you ask.

“An omelette?” Andy guesses.

“No, dummy. Sleds! We can use these to slide downhill.”

Andy rolls his eyes. “You’ve got to be joking!”

“Well, I’m not waiting for Big Bird to come back,” you snap. “Come on, let’s try it!”

quote:

You and Andy take a running start, jump into your shells, and slide down the mountain. It works perfectly.

“Wheee!” you shout. This is fun!

At the foot of the mountain, you tumble from the egg sleds. “Let’s get out of here,” you urge.

“Uh – we have a problem,” Andy says, pointing.

You follow his finger with your eyes. “What?” you ask, mystified. “All I see is the ocean.”

“Right,” Andy moans. “We’re on an island. Trapped!”

You and Andy hurry along the shoreline. Oh, no! Andy is right – the mountain is surrounded by water.

Then you stumble on a small, round structure by the frozen shore. “It’s an igloo!” you cry.

You stoop down and enter the igloo. It’s empty, except for a piece of paper. You pick up the paper and read:

Piece of paper posted:

EMERGENCY SURVIVAL IGLOO

THIS IGLOO IS FOR LOST GAMERS. IT IS CHECKED ONCE A YEAR. SURVIVAL RATIONS IN BACK.

SIGNED, THE ABOMINABLE SNOW WOMAN
“Great!” you exclaim. “We’ve been looking for her!”

“Let’s check out the survival rations,” Andy suggests.

quote:

You and Andy step to the back of the igloo. There you find several cartons full of frozen food.

You examine the rations. There are hundreds of labeled packages. They all seem to contain the same thing: rolls of rubbery dried fat.

“’Blubberburger,’” you read aloud. “’Blubber pudding, Swedish blubberballs.’”

“’Fried blubber on a stick,’” Andy reads. “’Blubberwurst.’” He makes a barfing sound. “It’s all blubber. Gross!”

You bend down and read a sign pinned to one of the boxes. “This gives the date for the Abominable Snow Woman’s next trip here,” you announce.

Andy studies the sign. “Oh, no!” he cries. “That’s nearly a year from now.”

You and Andy stare at each other.

It seems neither of you will have much to do for the next year – except sit around and chew the fat.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Squashed under the falling corpse of a ten-ton pelican.
:siren:Stranded in a virtual igloo with a year's supply of blubber-based foodstuffs.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Take the compass.
  • Win the arm-wrestling contest with Andy.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Let's win the arm wrestling contest

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
I'm reminded of that one off short on Cartoon Network with the pizza guy delivering to Eskimos.

rudecyrus posted:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

rudecyrus posted:

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Take the compass already! I wanna find a situation that proves its worthlessness.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm pretty sure the entire point of that ending was to force the "chew the fat" pun.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Hm, that's not the one I was thinking of. Maybe I was a more messed up kid than I thought and I made it up.

rudecyrus posted:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Shwoo posted:

Hm, that's not the one I was thinking of. Maybe I was a more messed up kid than I thought and I made it up.

Well, now you have to tell us what it was.

Anyway, the good news is that we're suddenly great at arm-wrestling!

quote:

Yes! You won the arm-wrestling contest! You dance around in the snow, flexing your biceps. “I rule!” you shout.

After a while, you calm down. “I’ll find the Abominable Snow Woman,” you promise Andy. “I’ll rescue both of us.”

Andy frowns. “Good luck,” he mutters. But he doesn’t sound like he really means it.

You settle yourself in the seat and turn the ignition key.

VRRRROOOOOOOM! The snowmobile starts up. You grab the handlebars and hang on as the vehicle zooms off.

The wind rushes against your face. Layers of white speed past you. This is the cool VR experience you’d hoped for!

You follow the Abominable Snow Woman’s footsteps toward a steep hill. As you get closer, you realize that the hill is the front edge of a glacier. It’s a steep wall made entirely of ice.

The footprints lead straight up the wall!

No way can the snowmobile climb a glacier. You slam your foot on the brake.

Uh-oh.

quote:

Your foot goes right to the floor.

The brakes don’t work!

The snowmobile speeds straight toward the rock-hard glacier.

Frantically, you pull on the handlebars. Somehow, you’ve got to turn to the side, and quick!

But it’s too late. You’re going too fast.

Just before you become a kid-sicle, you think that maybe you should have let Andy win the arm-wrestling match. Maybe you shouldn’t have tried so hard to get your own way. In fact, you resolve that in the future –

SPLAT!

...and the bad news, of course, is that we're not great at driving a snowmobile.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magnifying Glass

Bad Endings
Stranded in a virtual igloo with a year's supply of blubber-based foodstuffs.
:siren:Crashed a snowmobile into the side of a glacier.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Take the compass.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
We're so bad we don't realize the brake is on the handlebar. :v:

Take the compass

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
...what.

Take the drat compass.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Time to find True North.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Rebonack7 posted:

Well, now you have to tell us what it was.
I swear I remember an ending where you and Andy get trapped inside eggs that are never going to to hatch. I even remember it being written in the usual corny style. But I just dug up a copy of the book and looked through the remaining paths for the Snow Woman plot, and it's definitely not there. Maybe I'm thinking of a different book, or conflating few bad endings together? Or maybe I was just a really weird kid. :shrug:

Also, compass.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, winning the arm wrestling game makes the game crash. Fix your Game!

Compass

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Shwoo posted:

I swear I remember an ending where you and Andy get trapped inside eggs that are never going to to hatch. I even remember it being written in the usual corny style. But I just dug up a copy of the book and looked through the remaining paths for the Snow Woman plot, and it's definitely not there. Maybe I'm thinking of a different book, or conflating few bad endings together? Or maybe I was just a really weird kid. :shrug:

That was actually one of the bad endings we missed all the way back in Knight in Screaming Armor. God, that was a weird book even by GYGB standards...

Anyway, let's go grab that compass!

quote:

“We’ll take the compass,” you tell Andy. “You’re right – it could help us figure out where we are.” You tuck it into your parka.

“Come on,” you urge. “Let’s find that Abominable Snow Woman.”

But at that moment, you hear a distant rumbling sound.

Spooked, the Ice Hound runs deeper into the cave.

The cave begins to shake. Ice chunks fall from the ceiling.

“It’s an earthquake!” Andy shouts.

“Quick!” you reply. “We’ve got to get out of here!”

You rush to the cave entrance. Outside, a wall of snow and ice is falling from the top of the hill. It’s almost covered up the entrance.

“We’re trapped!” Andy cries. “The avalanche will seal us in the cave!”

“Quick. Jump out the entrance!” you shout.

You pull Andy with you. The avalanche hurls you down the hill. You tumble along like a pair of giant snowballs.

For whatever reason, taking the compass instead of the magnifying glass causes us to skip over the choice with the Ice Hound entirely. Instead, we're taken directly to page 50, where we find the trail of footprints leading to the snowmobile.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Compass:siren:

Bad Endings
Crashed a snowmobile into the side of a glacier.

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Bring the compass into the Ice Maze.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Bring the compass!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Use Compass

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We're beating that maze!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Maze it out.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Rebonack7 posted:

That was actually one of the bad endings we missed all the way back in Knight in Screaming Armor. God, that was a weird book even by GYGB standards...
Okay, everything make sense now. That entire book was a fever dream. You get dropped in a nest and turned into an egg if you choose to have Abbey "return in a flash", right?

Let's find out if the maze leads out of this computer game.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Shwoo posted:

Okay, everything make sense now. That entire book was a fever dream. You get dropped in a nest and turned into an egg if you choose to have Abbey "return in a flash", right?

Exactamundo! Anyway, that's enough reminiscing about one of the worst books in this entire series for now. Maze time!

quote:

Holding the compass in front of you, you step into the maze.

It twists and branches. The compass says you are traveling north. But hours later, you still haven’t found the center.

Andy is panicking. “We’ll never get out!” he moans.

You slog onward. Then you notice something. At every fork, the walls of one path are brighter than the walls of the other.

You peer at the darker walls. Bits of black rock are embedded in the ice. You hold the compass up to one of the black flecks. The needle swings until it points at the bit of rock.

Hey! The black rocks are magnetic. They’re throwing off the compass! No wonder no one has ever completed the maze!

Retracing your path, you take only the branches with brighter walls. Before long, you reach a big white room.

At the far end, the Abominable Snow Woman stands in front of a large control panel. She snarls with rage when she sees you.

Andy points. “That must be the control center. Come on, let’s turn off the game and get out of here!”

The Snow Woman holds up a huge hand. “Not so fast! First, you must navigate one last maze. Solve it, and I’ll let you go. Fail – and you’ll become part of my game forever!”

She waves her hand. A maze of ice springs up, filling the room between you and her.

quote:

If you run the maze correctly, you’ll beat the Abominable Snow Woman.

Using a pencil, trace a path from START to one of the numbers inside the maze. When you reach a number, turn to that page to see if you have won.

Kind of an odd game design choice on the Snow Woman's part. "You may have solved my maze, but you'll never be able to get past a smaller, much simpler second maze!"

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Compass

Bad Endings
Crashed a snowmobile into the side of a glacier.

Achievements

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I got to 87 :downs:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The flute, Jimmy, use the flute!... to go to 87.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm bored of Ice land. Go to 54

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
87 is definitely the right answer*

*I'm sick of ice land too but I love the endings where the book calls you a dirty cheater