Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lightrook posted:

The impression I got from the RotS novelization was that Palpatine himself was the reason for their loss of clarity, since he's such a great and terrible existential evil that the laws of the Force and the universe kind of recoil in horror, like the Star Wars equivalent of the Shadow in the Warp. Palpatine started exerting his influence at the start of the Prequel Trilogy, to keep the Jedi in the dark about his true intentions, but I guess it was a lot of work for him, since he stopped doing it during the OT once the Jedi were all wiped out and there was no further need for it.

Palpatine is exempt because he's the one causing it, Anakin is exempt because he's the Chosen One and therefore special and maybe Palpatine even deliberately made an exception for him? And of course the Jedi knights and masters are all blind because that's the whole point. We don't have a great frame of reference for "normal" padawans and trainees and stuff, but they're probably not having any better luck at it than their teachers.

All evil needs is for good men to do nothing, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

lightrook posted:

The impression I got from the RotS novelization

Found where you went wrong.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The RotS novel is pretty interesting but it's basically an entire reimagining and rewrite of the story from dialogue to characterization and motivations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

palpatine being high enough level to cast Mass Confusion on the jedi sounds a lot less interesting than the jedi being myopic idiots who've fully bought into their own hype of being infallible do-gooders

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Brave to use A Wizard Did It in a space setting! Visionary, even.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Rise of Skywalker corroborates the less interesting interpretation in multiple respects, however - not just because he's definitely high enough level to do that, but also because he is depicted as having the ability to send visions.

When Disney bought the Star Wars license in order to continue it, I suppose it was inevitable that they'd recreate the Expanded Universe.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Horizon Burning posted:

The RotS novel is pretty interesting but it's basically an entire reimagining and rewrite of the story from dialogue to characterization and motivations.

Is it actually good? Not that I want to read it, I'm just curious.
Can't imagine the RotS film working as a novel.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The rots novelisation literalises a bunch of metaphors, but it's less offensively bad at it than most of the EU so I don't hate it

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Taear posted:

For what it is, it's pretty good. Probably the best work in the old (and new) EUs. They cut a fair amount from the movie for the novel (I think the whole of Kashyyk?) and every single line of dialogue is different. I feel like the novel is closer to what the fans were hoping for and expecting. Anakin and Obi-Wan are swashbuckling best friends, Anakin is a cool hero but secretly insecure, Palpatine is such a powerful Sith that he blocks Jedi prescience, the fault of the Jedi is that they didn't act sooner, Yoda laments he should've listened to Qui-Gon, and so on. Like ungulateman says, it takes some of the metaphors and makes them literal. There's a bit where Yoda realizes he can't win against Sidious because he lost the war before he was ever born. In the films, this is basically the corruption of the Republic. In the novel, it's because Palpatine is a new type of Sith who has been planning to win the war against the Jedi for millennia.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The book says Palpatine is thousands of years old?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
No, but that he's just the latest in a long line of 'new' Sith who've been playing a very long game to catch the Jedi in a trap and destroy them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bongo Bill posted:

Right. What it comes down to is that people want the scenes to be something else. Which means wanting the characters to be different characters, or, more generally, wanting the movies not to have been what they are. Although words like "execution" are thrown around, the disapproval that so many people have for them is fundamentally conceptual.

I wanted the scenes to be something else because they were bad, and I don't like bad scenes in movies. I also wanted the characters to be different because these were badly written characters, and I don't enjoy movies populated with badly written characters.

If the concept for the prequels was for them to be a sequence of bad scenes populated by bad characters then yes, my disapproval is conceptual.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Can you specify one scene that you think is bad.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Taear posted:

I personally enjoyed it a lot and have reread it more than a few times, but I'm hearing for the first time that this is apparently a wrong opinion, so hopefully someone here can help me out of the Bad Opinion Zone.

One of the things I liked the most was how it described using the Force. If your main exposure to Star Wars comes from the movies and games, as it is for most people, then it's easy to think in terms of the Force in fantasy RPG terms, with learning the Force as some kind of rational, systematic science, and Force powers falling into discreet and concrete abilities like Force Push and Force Choke and Force Lightning. On the other hand, the novelization does a good job realizing the Force as not just a magic but a lifestyle, as it should be for a monastic order that follows a practice that both Han and that one officer who gets choked in ANH describe as a religion. When Dooku squares off against the boys, his mastery of dark arts isn't just him throwing tables and jumping across the room, it's him drawing the Force into his person to fill his body with strength. Moreover, it illustrates the difference between Sith and Jedi practices: Dooku preparing for combat visualizes the universe falling away leaving nothing left but himself, while Obi-Wan, ever the Jedi paragon, visualizes himself fading away until he and the universe are one and the same. There's a clear dichotomy between Sith egoism and Jedi non-self, and it's very Buddhist and very appropriate considering the strong wuxia influences in Star Wars.

Other things that have been mentioned is fleshing out the friendship between Anakin and Kenobi, which puts more weight behind Kenobi telling Anakin he was "like a brother" to him. Also, for reasons I can't fully explain, Kenobi's brief but touching partnership with the giant riding lizard during the final showdown with Grievous really just gets to me.

As for the "new Sith" line, I understood that it meant that Yoda realized that the Sith have been growing and changing and adapting, while the Jedi remained stagnant and inflexible. The corruption of the Republic and the corruption of the Jedi Order were two parts of the same whole, considering how the Jedi Order tied itself to the Republic, and the implication is that the Jedi had lost sight of what it meant to be Jedi, while the Sith were perfectly aware of what it meant to be a Sith.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Can you specify one scene that you think is bad.

The one where Anakin is having a bad dream but the framing makes it look like he's masturbating

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tarnop posted:

The one where Anakin is having a bad dream but the framing makes it look like he's masturbating

You just turned it into a good scene

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

RBA Starblade posted:

You just turned it into a good scene

It would be a good scene if the film then went on to address or give further consideration to Anakin's sexual arousal at the thought of his mother being tortured

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tarnop posted:

Do you think he does it with the robot hand?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ok so, just to be clear, the films produce from you a continual yelp like having touched a hot stove, and your first solution is: hands over the covers for male character.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ok so, just to be clear, the films produce from you a continual yelp like having touched a hot stove
Nope

and your first solution is: hands over the covers for male character.
Also nope.

You didn't ask for solutions, you asked for an example of a bad scene.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tarnop posted:

You didn't ask for solutions, you asked for an example of a bad scene.

Everyone knows that the Anakin character has a bunch of psychosexual hangups from being separated from his mother at an early age. It's why the character goes for the older Padme & ultimately becomes a fascist. The films are really clear and obvious about it.

So far, you have communicated some rudimentary awareness of this - but have mainly just repeated "it's bad" as if traumatized. It's gauche.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"It's treason, then." Is another perfectly killer line.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't like the scene where baby Anakin has to clarify that the angels hes talking about are some aliens on some planet somewhere. The writer is too transparent there.

An underappreciated scene in the same movie is when the podracer gets fixed and the music swells and Anakin is happily woohooing. The sequence is nicely directed.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
TMBG already taught us angels' got a space program.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Detective No. 27 posted:

This led me to watch the Sidious/Yoda fight to see if there were any good lines in it, which there weren't really, but I liked how Yoda's speech pattern was dialed up to 11, making him sound like an idiot with lines like "not if anything to say about it I have". I wonder if it was meant to imply he'd been driven a bit mad by the whole ordeal, or if it was just poking fun at him for being a frail old dude trying to be a hero

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
attack of the clones is an unwatchable piece of poo poo

the phantom menace is good tho

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just loving imagine how incredibly satisfying that whole sequence must have been for Palpatine, in-universe.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

2house2fly posted:

This led me to watch the Sidious/Yoda fight to see if there were any good lines in it, which there weren't really, but I liked how Yoda's speech pattern was dialed up to 11, making him sound like an idiot with lines like "not if anything to say about it I have". I wonder if it was meant to imply he'd been driven a bit mad by the whole ordeal, or if it was just poking fun at him for being a frail old dude trying to be a hero

“My little green friend”

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Everyone knows that the Anakin character has a bunch of psychosexual hangups from being separated from his mother at an early age. It's why the character goes for the older Padme & ultimately becomes a fascist. The films are really clear and obvious about it.

So far, you have communicated some rudimentary awareness of this - but have mainly just repeated "it's bad" as if traumatized. It's gauche.

Parts of the text support the reading that Anakin is masturbating while dreaming of his mother's torture, yes. Do you think that was what the scene was intended to convey? Do you think it's a good scene? If so, why?

I didn't realise that giving an example of a bad scene in response to a request for the same was considered gauche. Are there any other important rules of etiquette for this thread?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I AM the senate!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/SxMrEh8-_-E guys he breathes hard he must be jerkin it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

YaketySass posted:

Do you think he does it with the robot hand?

I can only hope that this will be explored in a future Star Wars Story. Maybe he can turn off the nerve relays or whatever so it feels like Padme is doing it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

lightrook posted:

I personally enjoyed it a lot and have reread it more than a few times, but I'm hearing for the first time that this is apparently a wrong opinion, so hopefully someone here can help me out of the Bad Opinion Zone.

It's not bad to like it but it's a very different story that therefore adds nothing to the film.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Edd Ipus is a p Lucas rear end name

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Elfgames posted:

https://youtu.be/SxMrEh8-_-E guys he breathes hard he must be jerkin it

Just watched it without sound and it does actually look like he's jerkin it. His hand is even moving in a suspicious way.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah. All they had to do was put his hands on top of the sheets. Or something. It's hard to believe not one person in the editing staff noticed that anakin was jerkin it. It would have been the easiest scene to reshoot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The whole fall of the Republic might have been avoided if the rest of the Jedi would have jerked it once in a while.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually between Luke wanting to bang his sister and now Anakin popping off to his mom it's looking to me like Lucas was going for something

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually between Luke wanting to bang his sister and now Anakin popping off to his mom it's looking to me like Lucas was going for something

Look up how when developing Raiders of the Lost Ark he originally wanted Jones/Marion to have like a ~ten year age difference between them so that the "I was a child! I was in love!" line was to literally mean that she was like 10 while he was 21 and he wanted that because it "makes it more interesting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
turning indiana into a pedo is a lot more interesting. he is already a loving prick so it won't change much