Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If you're in the new Great Divide watch out for this guy "Thosgromri Warmgranite", I pulled him and popped deflection as is tradition and as soon as it fell off I instantly fell over dead, gamparse claims he hit me 221 times for a total of approx 3 million damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

blatman posted:

If you're in the new Great Divide watch out for this guy "Thosgromri Warmgranite", I pulled him and popped deflection as is tradition and as soon as it fell off I instantly fell over dead, gamparse claims he hit me 221 times for a total of approx 3 million damage

He's bugged. He did 500k damage in a single combat round to my tank who basically died instantly. Meanwhile I can tank T2 named in VL/KD with only small struggles.

It's not just that dorf in GD, the bug head been observed with Monolith in EW too, but not 100% of the time. I killed Monolith sans bug and then later found a bugged spawn that single rounded me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a news site that still covers EQ and stays up to date on the game?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Allakhazams?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Everquest.Allakhazam.com

Though your definition of covering EQ should be realistic, even Daybreak's website can regularly go over a month without them having a new post. It's only busier around the big holidays.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Tehran 1979 posted:

which I've personally used at the start of most TLP's to do the Felwithe to Kelethin note delivery quest thousands of times, leaving it chain warping / turning in completely AFK to get hundreds of plat on the first day of server launch and never once had a problem or even a GM send me a whisper. They straight up don't give a poo poo unless you're ruining other people's fun and getting reported.

As a newb can you explain this a little more? It sounds very enticing.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Anyone have any thoughts as to which Everquest (1 or 2) has the most "going on" or indeed going for it right now ?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

mfny posted:

Anyone have any thoughts as to which Everquest (1 or 2) has the most "going on" or indeed going for it right now ?

I saw the question in both threads but I'm going to answer it here, and I think it depends on what you want... It is believed that EQ1 actually has a healthier population for one, and from playing both recently I would agree with that.

I think EQ2 is easier to just get into and play by yourself without needing friends or mucking with boxing, it has a lot of modern conveniences and is good for just, y'know, doing the MMO leveling experience and seeing the world and things. But the end game is an absolute mess right now and miserable for new players to get into, if that's the kind of content you're after.

But if you can get past the archaic parts of EQ1 and the necessity for other people, I'd say EQ1 is probably the better of the two right now.

Both games have a time locked progression server. EQ1's is much healthier. If you want to do EQ2 'end game' I'd suggest doing it on the TLP server.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

I saw the question in both threads but I'm going to answer it here, and I think it depends on what you want... It is believed that EQ1 actually has a healthier population for one, and from playing both recently I would agree with that.

I think EQ2 is easier to just get into and play by yourself without needing friends or mucking with boxing, it has a lot of modern conveniences and is good for just, y'know, doing the MMO leveling experience and seeing the world and things. But the end game is an absolute mess right now and miserable for new players to get into, if that's the kind of content you're after.

But if you can get past the archaic parts of EQ1 and the necessity for other people, I'd say EQ1 is probably the better of the two right now.

Both games have a time locked progression server. EQ1's is much healthier. If you want to do EQ2 'end game' I'd suggest doing it on the TLP server.

Ok thanks for that, I normally hate cross posting but in this case with this question it was unavoidable.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
What standard server are goons on ?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
To build on Tsurupettan's answer, if you're wanting the "solo mmorpg" I think there's a lot more to do, and more fun things to do, in EQ2, all the way to max. It's designed to be played solo, and there's a gajillion quests and zones and collections and on and on that you can do by yourself and romp around. EQ2 is also more new player friendly, and plays like a typical enough MMO that you'll be able to grasp what's going on and how to play well enough.

In EQ1, you're going to need to help, period. It's archaic - I love it, don't get me wrong, but it's by far, IMO, the most new player unfriendly MMO still running. While the tutorial area tries to help, even it is mostly just "talk to NPC, then throw a mountain of text at you to try to explain the various systems". While you won't gimp your character in EQ1, just the basics of how to play, and play smartly, just really aren't obvious, and you might find yourself really on the struggle bus at first. So you'll probably need help in either some (most likely old and janky) youtube videos, or from goons, or from general chat (good luck) just to get some basics down.

If you know the basics of how EQ1 works, then you'll really just want help to get a merc. A tank merc (npc controlled character) will let you do whatever you want, and do it for you, until about 50. They're OP. You can experience all the classic non-raid content without trouble. You can still "molo" your way to probably 70-ish or so. At that point, you'll need to probably start grouping, or realistically, start boxing.

There's a ton to do in EQ1 as well, but it's a lot less obvious and structured until the 70s or so. At that point the expansions started giving each zone the kind of typical set of quests, and you track then with achievements. Before that, you're really just exploring because you want to and a lot of older EQ dungeons are super awesome labyrinths, or maybe you're doing some of the vintage big quest lines (like your epic or something - which you'll need help for as well most likely to be honest, depending on class).

Maybe others feel differently, but really I just can't see a new player ever getting anywhere in EQ1, unless it's like their significant other and they're gaming together, sitting next to each other.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I think eq1 and eq2 are hard to get into for different reasons. EQ2 becomes a wall of 'gently caress off' when you hit 110 and move into BoL unless you get some serious help from a guild or pore over the forums for external advice and guides. EQ1 is harder to get into from the ground up for a number of reasons but seems (from what i've gathered speaking to others) to be less of a wall once you get over the initial hurdle.

Personally? I'd rather have the 'wall' be at the start. To me, it feels less bad and more like 'oh well this is a new thing i'm doing of course it's going to be hard', versus EQ2 where you sail through the first 110 and then the game drastically changes. Even as someone who knows what they're doing with EQ2 it feels more like a lovely rugpull.

I do definitely agree on the requirement of another person or box though. I set up a box and started getting frustrated at my follow bard randomly twirling around and running over hills or getting stuck every time I went into a cave etc. My gaming buddies and SO either don't have interest or don't have irl time. I wish I could have a merc army like I can have my Trust army in FFXI! I still WANT to give EQ1 more of a serious try if I could get past that hurdle, though.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Does anyone have any tips for the achievement "Zero Loss (Group)" for the mission "Restless Assault" in GD? I know you can direct the dwarf armies to various places in the zone but I can't figure out where the hell to send them so the bosses don't just murder the civilians anyway

I got all the other ToV group achievements no problem but this one is frustrating because of how large the zone is and how it's not entirely obvious you've failed when a civilian dies and his corpse immediately despawns

edit: got it by dedicating one guy to tracking stray wolves and grabbing them, woot proc augs unlocked

blatman fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 13, 2020

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Tsurupettan posted:

I wish I could have a merc army like I can have my Trust army in FFXI! I still WANT to give EQ1 more of a serious try if I could get past that hurdle, though.

All things are possible with enough Krono and some, uh, subscriptions to certain software suites.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I started a new alt on Mangler but didn't want to level 1-20 again...so I decided to use the seriously nerfed red wine quest in Neriak.

Took about an hour to do 1-20 and a poo poo TON of red wine. When you hand in 4000 wine at a time the client has a mini-seizure with all the faction messages arriving.

Just checked the log and it took me 277599 red wines ! I don't think I'll be doing that again...

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
how long did it take you to turn in a quarter million red wines

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Less than an hour - thats only 70 hand-ins as its 4 x 1000 stacked per turn in. And theres a wine vendor very close by.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I remember doing that wine quest to fix my faction while killing NPCs in NeriakC for xp wayyyy back in the day.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Apparition posted:

As a newb can you explain this a little more? It sounds very enticing.

There's a quest that starts in Kelethin, after talking to an NPC near the bank/ranger guild he gives you a letter to deliver to an NPC in Felwithe near the bank, who gives you some silver and another letter to deliver to the same NPC in Kelethin. One trip back and forth gives you a few plat. Set your warping to go from the Kelethin guy to just over the zone line into Felwithe so it zones you, then warp to high elf NPC, turn in, warp back to just over zone line to Kelethin, warp to wood elf NPC to turn in, then repeat.

I've started on most of the TLP's day one except Phinigel to do this for a few days to over a week. You'll get thousands to tens of thousands of plat (depending on your duration) along with the other people you can see warping right next to you completely AFK. I've never once gotten a ban/suspension for doing it or even had a GM ever message me. It's really only useful in the very beginning of servers when plat is everything and you can buy up people's kronos for very little plat. I doubt I'll ever play again so I don't care about letting the secret be out.

Also don't do it if you're not using an SSD. Way too much slow zoning to be worth it with an old, slow drive.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

xZAOx posted:

To build on Tsurupettan's answer, if you're wanting the "solo mmorpg" I think there's a lot more to do, and more fun things to do, in EQ2, all the way to max. It's designed to be played solo, and there's a gajillion quests and zones and collections and on and on that you can do by yourself and romp around. EQ2 is also more new player friendly, and plays like a typical enough MMO that you'll be able to grasp what's going on and how to play well enough.

In EQ1, you're going to need to help, period. It's archaic - I love it, don't get me wrong, but it's by far, IMO, the most new player unfriendly MMO still running. While the tutorial area tries to help, even it is mostly just "talk to NPC, then throw a mountain of text at you to try to explain the various systems". While you won't gimp your character in EQ1, just the basics of how to play, and play smartly, just really aren't obvious, and you might find yourself really on the struggle bus at first. So you'll probably need help in either some (most likely old and janky) youtube videos, or from goons, or from general chat (good luck) just to get some basics down.

If you know the basics of how EQ1 works, then you'll really just want help to get a merc. A tank merc (npc controlled character) will let you do whatever you want, and do it for you, until about 50. They're OP. You can experience all the classic non-raid content without trouble. You can still "molo" your way to probably 70-ish or so. At that point, you'll need to probably start grouping, or realistically, start boxing.

There's a ton to do in EQ1 as well, but it's a lot less obvious and structured until the 70s or so. At that point the expansions started giving each zone the kind of typical set of quests, and you track then with achievements. Before that, you're really just exploring because you want to and a lot of older EQ dungeons are super awesome labyrinths, or maybe you're doing some of the vintage big quest lines (like your epic or something - which you'll need help for as well most likely to be honest, depending on class).

Maybe others feel differently, but really I just can't see a new player ever getting anywhere in EQ1, unless it's like their significant other and they're gaming together, sitting next to each other.

From my personal experience, it's pretty easy to get to 45 or so just following the Hero's Journey. It's not bad through Crescent Reach. A slog through Blightfire (there are some quests that are neat, and then there are others that make you kill a billion gnolls and then send you back to kill another billion gnolls). Fine through Stonehive (one quest requires you to kill the dungeon's main boss, and she's nasty, but if you have a box or a friend leveling with you, it's doable). And then Goru'kar Mesa is a loving wall for me. The Hero's Journey achievements at this point require you to get several tradeskills raised up (I remember at least tailoring and brewing into the mid-100s), and kill infinity bears, wolves, and snakes.

And this wouldn't be a problem, but even today EQ doesn't do too great a job pointing you at where the next upgrade is going to be coming from. As a caster, you could probably stop with the Blightfire Moors poo poo because you'll be at 255/255 INT and you don't really need anything more than that, but if you're playing a melee dude you're still looking for more AC and weapon damage because the early Defiant weapons are pretty much stat sticks and aren't too great at actually killing poo poo.

Add to this that eventually you're going to need clicky items from all over the freaking game (more for melee/tanks than other classes I guess?), and it just gets daunting to the point where I can't keep interest.

Willias fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 14, 2020

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Is there some way to load up an instance of EQ where you’re old school GM power and can cruise through zones up to Velious soloing kunark and ntov and whatnot? I want to get a nostalgia kick but I don’t want to poop sock for 5 years like I did back in the day.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

rally posted:

Is there some way to load up an instance of EQ where you’re old school GM power and can cruise through zones up to Velious soloing kunark and ntov and whatnot? I want to get a nostalgia kick but I don’t want to poop sock for 5 years like I did back in the day.

http://www.eqemulator.org/

Some assembly required although It's not super hard to set up.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

rally posted:

As the other person suggested, go the emulator route if it's feasible. You can set your level, summon any items you want, teleport around, instant kill any mobs, etc. I did that for a nostalgia kick and it seemed to work well in that regard.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

shirunei posted:

http://www.eqemulator.org/

Some assembly required although It's not super hard to set up.

I recall using the offline tutorial from the original game to do this. I felt like a hacker changing hex values and walking around zones I could never see in game.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

PyRosflam posted:

I recall using the offline tutorial from the original game to do this. I felt like a hacker changing hex values and walking around zones I could never see in game.

Oh I definitely explored Plane of Fear and Hate with the tutorial hack. It was a ton of fun to walk around a despawn scary zone.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Oh I definitely explored Plane of Fear and Hate with the tutorial hack. It was a ton of fun to walk around a despawn scary zone.

I recall it working great for Mistmore, and badly for Befallen (You got put in a room with some dudes pic on the wall).

There was later a bug I used around the time of Hole, you could have a 2nd comp log in over your first, desync your first but not kick you out of the game, then run around the zone to your hearts content. Mobs stopped showing up after some arbitrary range, but it was really cool.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh man the befallen room! Wasn't that one of the devs (the pic on the wall)? I remember GMs summoning people in there to have chats when they were caught being assholes or doing something shady.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

MF_James posted:

oh man the befallen room! Wasn't that one of the devs (the pic on the wall)? I remember GMs summoning people in there to have chats when they were caught being assholes or doing something shady.

As a member of the guide program I would do just this. Taking a player to GM island, while fun, was a bad idea since a lot of our tools were on click effects. Every once in a while a GM item would get out and all kinds of fun was had.

I really liked the program because as players we knew where people would abuse boxing, or other game abuses and could easily catch this stuff. A few members used showeq and you could tell who was using it by those who instantly turned in the correct direction vs those who use tracking and would kinda make a circle.

The ability to walk into Naggys room and not die was a lot of fun too.

I do recall being banned from the end zone of Kunark (skyshrine?) as they did not want us helping guild recover what was often a corpse loss event.

Then the lawsuit happened and that was that for a guide program.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
So is Selo server completely dead? Nothing after OoW on seloprogress and I can't find any guild that still has any raids at all judging by their dkp.

I'm also assuming Miragul was an even worse failure since there's been a total of 4 posts for it on the ectunnel.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Selos doesn't care about seloprogress. Faceless never submitted to them.

There are 3 real guilds raiding on Selos.

Faceless Conquest - Top guild in progression. Clear expacs within first 3 days of launch. We try to take advantage of the reduced lockouts, as such we raid almost every day, but we don't have a minimum RA requirement. We split most raids so gearing is not really an issue. We are a dkp guild with open bidding. We are usually the only ones pushing to clear expacs on release, but we dont get no-sleep hard because frankly, there is no reason to. If you are used to seeing Faceless names on TLPs, this is the same, but different. Some of the same 'career' faceless folks, but no dkp batphones or any of that nonsense. We are just concerned about keeping a healthy guild to last to live.

Rusty Short Sword - IMO, the better of the 2 more casual guilds. They have set raid days and usually some offnight raiding. They usually clear new expacs 1-2 weeks in. Solid group of folks. Loot council guild.

Circulus Interiorem - The most casual guild of the server. Set raid nights, some offnight raiding. Led by streamer, Pappasalt (not to be confused with Paparob). This guild has no problem going at their own pace. Typically clear expac towards the end of the expac or early into the next. Not a bad guild by any stretch, definitely a good place for some people.

I'm not gonna lie and say Selo is booming. The low levels are rough if you dont have a group established. Usually people get friends to PL them or buy PLs. The 1 month unlock scares many folks off, but I personally love it. This is the era I never got to experience on live and pretty much right as I get bored, bam new expac is out. The XP is ridiculously fast.

Most of Selo is trying to ride this server to live, since it will be the first one to reach it. If you have any particular questions on any of the guilds or about the server, feel free to ask. I am an officer in Faceless and have friends in RSS and CI.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What happened to Amtrak? The guild had another melt down again from Grizvok?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Tai posted:

I know I quit Amtrak in PoP when it was shown Griz was adding himself into raids on the dkp site and giving himself "tracking" dkp etc.
Handful of others quit when I did and a lot of people sent me a lot of support when I called him out on teamspeak when it came to light.
I didn't keep any track after that though. I know Bobbybick and Astral are still playing some cause Bobby streams it sometimes but yeah.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

FranktheBank posted:

Selos doesn't care about seloprogress. Faceless never submitted to them.

Oh, I just thought you guys never lasted after initial launch because you never showed up on the site. What expansion are you guys even on now?

Tai posted:

I stopped playing right after the AHR ban and Griz's "you can't raid without me" poo poo, is that what ultimately led to Wild Treasures or unrelated?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Tehran 1979 posted:

I stopped playing right after the AHR ban and Griz's "you can't raid without me" poo poo, is that what ultimately led to Wild Treasures or unrelated?

Wild Treasures was a different server.
What was AHR ban? I'm not sure I recall what that was.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Well I'm an idiot for getting them mixed up. Only so many times you can do classic to PoP a billion times and have a coherent memory.

Some euro guild beat Griz's guild to AHR so he used warping to trained them, then got either a ban or suspension for it but told their guild that they absolutely could not raid anything in luclin until he was unbanned or leveled up/keyed a new character. They were only allowed to raid ToV. When officers/guild complained they were guild kicked.

Tai probably knows more about it and can confirm if it was ban or suspension but I'm 100% sure on the no VT without him.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 16, 2020

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Hmm definitely wasn't on Selos at least...

I don't remember from an earlier server either and I've been in the guild on all of them..

Edit: Searching says Nov 2016 so Phinigel, which was also server with Wild Treasures.
I was around for that and yeah... it wasn't really a thing. (https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/looking-for-a-new-guild.236329/)
(And by not a thing I mean the not raiding , the training was totally a thing)

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 16, 2020

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Just had to go searching and it was Phinny apparently. Also found a funny youtube video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Lc_QGBMsg

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tai posted:

I'm a little rocky on the details. But like Krazual said, there was significant exodus during PoP when Grisvok (iirc during a raid?) added himself to a whole bunch of RA ticks citing "credit for tracking targets".

During DODH they had about 20-30 dedicated members, one day they logged in for a raid and the turn out was real low. Also, one of the 4(?) main clerics was going on a long vacation irl. This was on top of natural attrition that every guild had (WoWC was the death of a lot of guilds) so they just called for disband.

There is obviously a lot of details that I do not know on top of things I may be incorrect about. Unfortunately, most of amtrak just quit the server entirely. About 12-15 pack came to Faceless and about 8? of those have been active here since. I really wish Amtrak would have sustained, it's nice having a guild on the server that really pushes for server firsts and to watch and see how quickly they can accomplish that.

There was a lot of made-up bad blood between amtrak and faceless because of lovely past servers or people warp/training early in this server. I think the 'rivalry' prevented a lot of Amtrak folks from joining.

Krazuel posted:

I know I quit Amtrak in PoP when it was shown Griz was adding himself into raids on the dkp site and giving himself "tracking" dkp etc.
Handful of others quit when I did and a lot of people sent me a lot of support when I called him out on teamspeak when it came to light.
I didn't keep any track after that though. I know Bobbybick and Astral are still playing some cause Bobby streams it sometimes but yeah.

Yeah that was pretty lovely.

Bobbybick just started to get into the rhythm on Selo, its been cool having the people from the stream come and join.

Tehran 1979 posted:

Oh, I just thought you guys never lasted after initial launch because you never showed up on the site. What expansion are you guys even on now?

Those progress sites only get updated when people submit to them and for us it's never mattered. From the jump, before the guild was even formed, we have never been about 'server first'. The Luclin initial race was cool, but no one talks about beating Amtrak to Emp and Amtrak guys don't talk about beating Faceless to AHR, it's all about how the gently caress did we do Emp with tanks wearing Phantom Plate armor summoned by mages lmao. A lot of the 'racing' was just Zaide being Zaide. He only plays the game for races and won't stick around to build a real guild (as apparently by him playing for probably 30 days of the entire server). Sieger has always been about doing what it takes to make it to live with the guild intact.

We are a little over 2 weeks into The Buried Sea, Feb releases Secrets of Faydwer and that is supposedly the first big test for the guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Just want to post the dis tracks produced by the reivalry leading up to the server because it was one of the most funny things on the internet last year:

https://starboard-media.s3.amazonaws.com/v/wm-5c7f7896600952014c138b40.mp4

https://starboard-media.s3.amazonaws.com/v/wm-5c81bfd158ae8a015240b872.mp4

I feel there were more?