Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

I just finished reading through what's been released of Endo and Kobayashi’s Live Commentary on the Villainess
https://mangadex.cc/title/38123/endo-and-kobayashis-live-commentary-on-the-villainess

It's not strictly an isekai, but the premise is that two high school students (guy and girl) are commentating on an otome game and one of the main characters in there can hear them. They decide to use this to their advantage and make sure everyone gets a happy ending, especially the villainess, who similar to Katarina dies in all but one of the routes but is more of a tragic, misunderstood girl than outright villainess. Unfortunately, she's cursed with being a Soon D'rey.

It's actually got some actual depth to it, for example, the high school dude has a backstory of loving playing baseball but ended up getting a career-ending injury trying to push himself to the limit. He didn't want to continue playing because he knew he'd end up hating the sport, but also didn't want to completely give it up. The main girl pointed out to him that it's still possible to participate in the sport even without being a player, like being coach or a commentator. He really appreciates her for this, and thus their relationship has way more to it than 90% of other romances.

why does literally every manga about an otome game seem to have the exact same premise? are there hundreds of these harry potter dating sims in japan, or just one extremely popular one that everyone thinks of first, like Super Mario Bros for flirting with boys?

I'm not complaining, it's just weird that they're all the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are successful works with that premise, so why wouldn't there be a rush of derivative works?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are successful works with that premise, so why wouldn't there be a rush of derivative works?

I mean, yeah that's fair, but it's wierd that I've got like 5 manga on the go right now about an otome game (or just a fantasy setting) about a magical school in a western featuring:
Peasant girl abnormally skilled in magic
Who is invited to attend the school where she meets
Rival character who is the haughty daughter of a major nobel
Who is in engaged to marry the prince, who doesn't care for her (and is the assumed love interest of the Peasant Girl)
And is expected to end the story by being killed almost every time

all of the framing devices are different (bakarina is clearly telling a different story than Endo and Kobayashi), I'm just curious why this is the setting they all use

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

egg tats posted:

I mean, yeah that's fair, but it's wierd that I've got like 5 manga on the go right now about an otome game (or just a fantasy setting) about a magical school in a western featuring:
Peasant girl abnormally skilled in magic
Who is invited to attend the school where she meets
Rival character who is the haughty daughter of a major nobel
Who is in engaged to marry the prince, who doesn't care for her (and is the assumed love interest of the Peasant Girl)
And is expected to end the story by being killed almost every time

all of the framing devices are different (bakarina is clearly telling a different story than Endo and Kobayashi), I'm just curious why this is the setting they all use

They're all parodying the same "generic fantasy otome game" in the same way that all the other isekai stories are parodying the same generic Dragon Quest JRPG world with slimes and demon kings.

I'm not sure if such a game has ever actually existed, but it's just part of the zeitgeist by now.

Also there are like dozens of them, if you've only seen 5 that's pretty surprising.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 13, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its kind of weirder than normal because they all seem to be building off of the others. As far as anyone can tell there was never any sort of Otome game released with that premise/setting. It mostly seems to have been created by mashing common Otome stereotypes and plots with the current standard Isekai world probably since Isekai is so popular currently.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
What I find mostly hilarious about a large number of otome isekai is that the ones with vaguely Euro/western nobility types tend to frame the upper/noble class as something to be upheld and that pesky upstart/peasant/heroine is actually loving up lives and the needed etiquette you see. There's usually a variation or at least acknowledgments that the upper class system has to change in order to better society (Duke's Daughter hand at benevolent capitalism for instance), but an egregious example of this is Tiara Rose that really lean into what I just said. Even An Observation Record of my Fiancée - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess, which I really like isn't innocent from this because the otome game heroine is shown to be a real nuisance, but it works better because the POV is from the male MC and the way he's characterized when interacting with his fiancee is cute.

At the end of the day it's all in good fun, but it's something to think about.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 13, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's also kenkyo, which i think was very popular but no one really emulated the modern day otome game setting. i guess it was insufficiently isekai-ish?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I was Reincarnated as an Otome Villainess and Started a Revolution of the Proletariat

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Compendium posted:

What I find mostly hilarious about a large number of otome isekai is that the ones with vaguely Euro/western nobility types tend to frame the upper/noble class as something to be upheld and that pesky upstart/peasant/heroine is actually loving up lives and the needed etiquette you see. There's usually a variation or at least acknowledgments that the upper class system has to change in order to better society (Duke's Daughter hand at benevolent capitalism for instance), but an egregious example of this is Tiara Rose that really lean into what I just said. Even An Observation Record of my Fiancée - A Self-Proclaimed Villainess, which I really like isn't innocent from this because the otome game heroine is shown to be a real nuisance, but it works better because the POV is from the male MC and the way he's characterized when interacting with his fiancee is cute.

To be fair, the heroine in that one is also reincarnated and isn’t a peasant, iirc, just a lower ranked noble with a magic bird.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also this is really good and wholesome fantasy tho I guess not isekai, though given how it is about an OP rando being made lord of..well, a giant grassy steppe, it feels adjacent to isekai.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Tarezax posted:

I was Reincarnated as an Otome Villainess and Started a Revolution of the Proletariat
the one posted in the OP has a distinctly capitalistic bent, but it would be truly funny if there if a Zizek-style was isekai'd into an otome Villainess

"yesh, *sniff*, there is strife but perhaps that is due to hegelian dialectics and not perhaps due to *sniff* a personal issue between us"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Mors Rattus posted:

Also this is really good and wholesome fantasy tho I guess not isekai, though given how it is about an OP rando being made lord of..well, a giant grassy steppe, it feels adjacent to isekai.

I mean, the 35 year old protag gets married/engaged to a 15 year old in chapter 5, I'm not entirely sure it's good and wholesome

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I mean, the 35 year old protag gets married/engaged to a 15 year old in chapter 5, I'm not entirely sure it's good and wholesome

...legitimately I did not realize she was fifteen.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Zore posted:

Its kind of weirder than normal because they all seem to be building off of the others. As far as anyone can tell there was never any sort of Otome game released with that premise/setting. It mostly seems to have been created by mashing common Otome stereotypes and plots with the current standard Isekai world probably since Isekai is so popular currently.

this is literally the best answer I could have gotten! this rules!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Mors Rattus posted:

...legitimately I did not realize she was fifteen.

He is just as grossed out as us readers by it, he is basically treating her as a little sister. So far.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mors Rattus posted:

To be fair, the heroine in that one is also reincarnated and isn’t a peasant, iirc, just a lower ranked noble with a magic bird.

Still an upstart though, doesn't necessarily have to be a peasant girl heroine, just a disruptive force of nature that tries too hard to get the dudes because being a heroine in an otome game makes one feel they're entitled to all the attention

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Siegkrow posted:

He is just as grossed out as us readers by it, he is basically treating her as a little sister. So far.

Yeah, I just haven't read the first chapter in ages, I thought she was adult-but-young rather than 'literally a teenager'.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Tarezax posted:

enjoy

Compendium posted:

Yeah there's a lot of this. Also a lot of them just have the heroine secretly be evil while putting on a nice face, which is exactly how most of the villainesses in the "ur-games" work, so that's like, a bit... somewhere between lazy and ugly.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's sometimes a few interesting twists. In Observation Log, the heroine doesn't realise she's using mind-control magic to charm NPCs, who behave like generic characters around her because of it.

Duke's Daughter has the heroine turn out to be a spy for a rival kingdom, socially manipulating her way into several nobles' inner circles etc.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Syritta posted:

Yeah there's a lot of this. Also a lot of them just have the heroine secretly be evil while putting on a nice face, which is exactly how most of the villainesses in the "ur-games" work, so that's like, a bit... somewhere between lazy and ugly.
That's endemic of an older trope than the Isekai genre, namely the whole 'public mask/private face' deal that usually comes up whenever high society is explored. Especially when the characters be social at that level.
Everyone does it. Everyone has a public mask on that hides their private face. Everyone has an agenda and everyone is trying to manipulate everyone else into following that agenda. It's standard high society drama/intrigue.

Which gets watered down a bit when done in otome games because it takes a decent sized cast to really get that sort of things going and that's more non-shippable npc's you gotta write for :v:

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, I just haven't read the first chapter in ages, I thought she was adult-but-young rather than 'literally a teenager'.
It's a neat little spark of societies clashing. The dude is told that she's "of marriageable age" by one of her culture and I like that the second thing he does (after the aforementioned 'wtf' reaction) is go 'ok, but the rules for where i'm from say that we can't get married for 3 more years, so we're going to have to be engaged that long. oh man i'm going to have to work my butt off to match that level of commitment from her.'

Elfface posted:

There's sometimes a few interesting twists. In Observation Log, the heroine doesn't realise she's using mind-control magic to charm NPCs, who behave like generic characters around her because of it.

Duke's Daughter has the heroine turn out to be a spy for a rival kingdom, socially manipulating her way into several nobles' inner circles etc.
It crops up in Non-Isekai stuff too. Like the excellent 'Villianesses's Slow Prison Life' has the 'heroine' be a gal who wants to marry above her station and has her sights set on the prince.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was one otome game villainess wn with a peasant revolt. it was led by the game heroine, who had also reincarnated but had to live the peasant life during her childhood. so, she was very bitter about feudalism and not particularly inclined to live out the game and accumulate a harem of pretty boy nobles.

naturally, she was the villain of the story and was presented as being dumb and wrong at all times. it wasn't even actually a peasant revolt because she was using mind control. the supposed heroine was the game noble villainess who had lived an incredibly comfortable life doing anything she wanted. her life was fine, so obviously there was nothing wrong with that particular medieval fantasy society.

it was honestly pretty hosed up.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
At least in Slow Prison life everyone is either a psycho or a dumbass.

Or both

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 14, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

peasant revolt was led by the game heroine, who had also reincarnated but had to live the peasant life during her childhood... naturally, she was the villain of the story and was presented as being dumb and wrong at all times ... she was using mind control.
:yikes:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A lot of these stories also have the protagonist go "oh, I don't mind being disowned/exiled because I don't care about being nobility, I'll just go relax in the countryside" as if that's super easy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

egg tats posted:

why does literally every manga about an otome game seem to have the exact same premise? are there hundreds of these harry potter dating sims in japan, or just one extremely popular one that everyone thinks of first, like Super Mario Bros for flirting with boys?

I'm not complaining, it's just weird that they're all the same

I think that they purposefully make it as strictly generic as possible because the main focus is always on the twist. Usually the manga/WN are still bad, though.

This commentary one owns, though. That's a great twist on the concept.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It helps that the heroine isnt presented as a villain

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Clarste posted:

A lot of these stories also have the protagonist go "oh, I don't mind being disowned/exiled because I don't care about being nobility, I'll just go relax in the countryside" as if that's super easy.

What’s funny is that this probably comes from Bakarina, where it works because it sits alongside the protagonist’s other contingency plans, such as throwing toy snakes at her fiancé

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Compendium posted:

I got a huge :lol: from Duke's Daughter when Iris announced that she'll save her territory by introducing capitalism into it.

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's a neat little spark of societies clashing. The dude is told that she's "of marriageable age" by one of her culture and I like that the second thing he does (after the aforementioned 'wtf' reaction) is go 'ok, but the rules for where i'm from say that we can't get married for 3 more years, so we're going to have to be engaged that long. oh man i'm going to have to work my butt off to match that level of commitment from her.'

This sounds like an extremely skeevy reasoning from the mangaka to me. You mentioned that the guy freaks out when he's told that he's marrying a 15-year old, so why didn't he just stomp down on that completely? The MC going, "I'll just wait 3 more years for her to turn 18 so we can get married" sounds like grooming to me. It's really creepy no matter how you spin it, and I'm not sure it fits in this thread.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Clarste posted:

Everything's easy when you start out as nobility.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

there was one otome game villainess wn with a peasant revolt. it was led by the game heroine, who had also reincarnated but had to live the peasant life during her childhood. so, she was very bitter about feudalism and not particularly inclined to live out the game and accumulate a harem of pretty boy nobles.

naturally, she was the villain of the story and was presented as being dumb and wrong at all times. it wasn't even actually a peasant revolt because she was using mind control. the supposed heroine was the game noble villainess who had lived an incredibly comfortable life doing anything she wanted. her life was fine, so obviously there was nothing wrong with that particular medieval fantasy society.

it was honestly pretty hosed up.

It sounds like this one:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/an-otome-games-burikko-villainess-turned-into-a-magic-otaku/

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
This conversation reminds me of already-posted-in-this-thread-somewhere-before Last Boss, because the protagonist is quite honest that she don't wanna be poor, and it's cute, and silly, and I almost wish it wasn't complete because I want more

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

amigolupus posted:

This sounds like an extremely skeevy reasoning from the mangaka to me. You mentioned that the guy freaks out when he's told that he's marrying a 15-year old, so why didn't he just stomp down on that completely? The MC going, "I'll just wait 3 more years for her to turn 18 so we can get married" sounds like grooming to me.

He had just done something so ridiculously heroic that every unmarried woman in the entire tribe was about to start fighting (literally) to become his wife. The chief told him, "If you want our help, and want to keep the peace, you need to show everyone that you're taken." So he agreed to at least pretend so the others would back off. Only then did he learn how old she was.

Yeah, I know. It sounds worse than it is, though.

quote:

It's really creepy no matter how you spin it, and I'm not sure it fits in this thread.

Probably also true.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If you've reached the point where you have to explain how it's totally cool in context it's already too late.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

amigolupus posted:

It's really creepy no matter how you spin it, and I'm not sure it fits in this thread.
Yeah, it's Isekai-adjacent at best and it has problems but it also has a lot of honest-to-goodness wholesome moments in it. It's a lot like Dragonball in that sense, except it doesn't pass off it's skeevy elements as gags and thus doesn't get away with them. The protagonist is also a lot like Goku in that his heart is in the right place. And unlike Goku he actually has a working moral compass.

I would put it firmly in the 'maybe post in thread' column for but it's definitely worth a gander (Ryoumin-0.) So far it's only 10 chapters long.

Clarste posted:

If you've reached the point where you have to explain how it's totally cool in context it's already too late.

Some things are worth a look despite having a great big obvious wart on them. I firmly believe that Ryoumin-0 is one of them. If people check it out and like it, cool. If they check it out and don't like it? Ok. If they don't check it out, also ok.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Authors always contrive some bullshit reason, of course it's okay to gently caress a childlike dragon because you see they are actually 1000 years old

Then readers defend it without thinking too deeply about the writing

If you gotta stretch then it doesn't belong in the wholesome thread

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

booksnake posted:

This conversation reminds me of already-posted-in-this-thread-somewhere-before Last Boss, because the protagonist is quite honest that she don't wanna be poor, and it's cute, and silly, and I almost wish it wasn't complete because I want more

IIRC, there's a continuation but it's just under another name similar to the Bookworm manga.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Onean posted:

I've been reading the WN translation on NovelUpdates, and it only gets better.

I ended up bingeing those too (I know, I have problems) and everything is just so cute. I hope the LNs are in english some day because I'd love to read a more polished version.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tarezax posted:

I Am A Beautiful Princess Who Hit My Head and Recovered the Memories of My Past Life As...Karl Marx?!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

amigolupus posted:

I got a huge :lol: from Duke's Daughter when Iris announced that she'll save her territory by introducing capitalism into it.

Unless you're big into Socialism With Dragon Warrior Characteristics, when you're starting from a feudal system that's actually the correct thing to do even if your eventual goal is socialism.

I mean, I get that people have a hard on for mass starvation and panopticon authoritarianism, but for some reason they always forget about Marxist historical materialism saying that capitalism was a necessary stage to create the production base from which socialism could emerge. The Communist Manifesto literally says "The bourgeoisie, during its rule of scarce one hundred years, has created more massive and more colossal productive forces than have all preceding generations together."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Paracelsus posted:

Unless you're big into Socialism With Dragon Warrior Characteristics, when you're starting from a feudal system that's actually the correct thing to do even if your eventual goal is socialism.

I mean, I get that people have a hard on for mass starvation and panopticon authoritarianism, but for some reason they always forget about Marxist historical materialism saying that capitalism was a necessary stage to create the production base from which socialism could emerge. The Communist Manifesto literally says "The bourgeoisie, during its rule of scarce one hundred years, has created more massive and more colossal productive forces than have all preceding generations together."
i agree that it is an unavoidable middle step between the two steps

also lmao at the idea of trying to convince the current power-holding nobles and mercantile classes to forfeit their power to form a communist state from the get-go, might as well title it, "I was an otome villainess for about fifteen minutes before i was executed"