Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Balon posted:

Not available in Canada

Sorry this should work for everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKm43xao00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This show comes back a week from Wednesday ahhhhhh.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just finished rewatching the whole series on Netflix. It owns.

My wife has walked through the room a few times while it was on and she is of the opinion that Margo is awful, or that very least the actress is brutally overacting the role. Guess it's gonna have to be a guilty pleasure kind of show for me. I don't talk poo poo about her only watching Investigation Discovery and reruns of Law and Order, she should leave Margo alone!

Can't wait for the new season, glad it's starting up so soon!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
she speaks ill of Queen Margo?

DIVORCE

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just remembered that there was another pilot for The Magicians developed by a different production team years ago for Fox. It obviously wasn't picked up, but from what I remember, it was apparently a little more faithful to the book. I'd be curious to see any footage they shot, or at least read the script.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
If I remember correctly Margo was pretty unlikeable early season one but once they fleshed her character out I think she has earned her loud mouth and arrogance. Strong women are often perceived as bitchy just to keep their voices heard and I feel like Margo knows that and doesn't give a poo poo because she gets results.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've said several times now, I came here for OTD but I stayed for Summer. She's incredible and the life she gives Margo is fantastic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm happy for the show to be back, but I gotta say, I thought last season sucked pretty hard. Plenty of good individual episodes and gags, but a lot of individual plots didn't seem to go anywhere. The show seemed unwilling to pull the trigger on the Library actually being the villains, so they had to introduce this random bad actor (who was played by a perfectly fine actor to be fair to him) in order to usurp Zelda's obvious position as the show's big bad. At the same time, they dropped the Library's ongoing rare mage collect-a-thon plot, leaving Camryn Manheim plot hanging in the wind. (Hopefully they haven't lost her completely to Stumptown, she's great and the episode that focused on her was probably the season's best).

That and the Beast plot stalling for what felt like years -- wtf was up with casting an actress to play his sister v1 and then giving her no lines? -- the random disappearance of the McCallisters and faerie and underworld plotlines they set up and kept pushing for the first half of the season, the very sudden Fillory coup plot (also with no pay off and skipped over in the time skip, let's watch Fenn play nonsense hopscotch instead wtf) and the weird nonstarter Eliot/Quentin romance (which was presumably derailed by Jason Ralph leaving the show -- you can't exactly have your queer couple get together just before you kill one of them).

Some of this I'm pretty sympathetic to, particularly that last one, because life gets in the way a lot when you're making serialised stuff like this, but there was a point about halfway through the season when I was really, really enjoying it all, but something completely derailed most of the ongoing plots about two-thirds of the way in and I just stopped caring.

Rhyno posted:

I've said several times now, I came here for OTD but I stayed for Summer. She's incredible and the life she gives Margo is fantastic.

The ongoing ascension of Margo was the best thing about last season. The actress is OTT as gently caress, but she's also kind of incredible.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 6, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I just remembered that there was another pilot for The Magicians developed by a different production team years ago for Fox. It obviously wasn't picked up, but from what I remember, it was apparently a little more faithful to the book. I'd be curious to see any footage they shot, or at least read the script.

I don't think it ever got out of script stage. Although there is an alternate version of the Syfy pilot with some different actors

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Episode synopses are back on point.

quote:

Penny and Julia go stargazing and Eliot and Margo forget a sandwich.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Alice didn’t buy enough tacos. Fen’s got 3 bars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love this show

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EAHfKA1Pf/?igshid=rytey9d6q6ou

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out there's a whole series of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djc1a_AxvnY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I follow Curran on Instagram, she's been sharing them there and the official page on FB has them.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I’ve now watched 4 seasons of this show and I still can’t decide if it’s a practical joke being played on me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

hanales posted:

I’ve now watched 4 seasons of this show and I still can’t decide if it’s a practical joke being played on me.

I know, it’s pretty great.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Magicians might realistically no poo poo for real be the best show on TV right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No argument there. Find a better duo than Elliot and Margot.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Elliot and Fen
Fen and anyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fen needs a magic mirror or something so she can play off her own sassiness.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Fen needs a magic mirror or something so she can play off her own sassiness.

Fen-golem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, where is the Margolem?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Doesn't Todd have it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I have strong memories of being destroyed or something like that happening during season 2?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I have strong memories of being destroyed or something like that happening during season 2?

I thought margo kept it, i assumed it went into the sex toy box.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I thought margo kept it, i assumed it went into the sex toy box.

Wait no I think you're right, and it might have been Eliot's double that was destroyed.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait no I think you're right, and it might have been Eliot's double that was destroyed.

Didn't it get destroyed when Penny tried to posses it after he died?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flatscan posted:

Didn't it get destroyed when Penny tried to posses it after he died?

That's my recollection

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Rando posted:

The Magicians might realistically no poo poo for real be the best show on TV right now.

That's my unironic opinion, if you'd told me how much I'd love this show after reading Grossman's novel I'd have laughed at you, I just can't believe how it manages to improve as it goes on, and even things that are conceptually missteps manage to feel earned in retrospect.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThePagey posted:

That's my unironic opinion, if you'd told me how much I'd love this show after reading Grossman's novel I'd have laughed at you, I just can't believe how it manages to improve as it goes on, and even things that are conceptually missteps manage to feel earned in retrospect.

Even the first season is good, and i'll defend this hill with my life.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rocksicles posted:

Even the first season is good, and i'll defend this hill with my life.

I mean, I only stuck with season one because I was a fan of the books. Whenever I recommend it to friends, they all want to giveup in season one, and I encourage them to power through because it does get better.

Yes, there are good things about season one, but it is tonally inconsistent, the characters are underdeveloped (particularly Margot and Eliot), had a pathetic budget, and it struggled with how to adapt the books while making it its own thing.

They've overcome all those things, but season one was rough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of no budget just reminded me of how the first season had an invisible castle because they didn't have enough money for a set/effect and they admitted it in show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Invisible Castle owned.

Also, IIRC, it's not that Season 1 had a small budget, but that they hired out a lovely SFX production company that they replaced in the show's second season. As a rule, budget tends to decrease between seasons. Hence cost cutting measures like magic being gone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Season 1 is kind of a mess but in rewatch it's not bad at all. Quentin is pretty insufferable in the early days.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
The only real issue I have with season 1 is how a lot of the heavier subjects are missing the kind of care they're given in the following seasons

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Quentin's insufferableness in early episodes is offset by Penny ruthlessly verbally owning him over and over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rando posted:

Quentin's insufferableness in early episodes is offset by Penny ruthlessly verbally owning him over and over.

Their dislike of each other becomes highly entertaining as the show progresses.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Terrifying.

https://twitter.com/kaceykadoodles/status/1217230800988430336?s=21

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally found scientific proof youtube is populated by morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hello goons I'm gonna be chilling in the thread throughout the premiere tonight and am looking forward to seeing how everyone feels about things (I'm extremely optimistic from all the promos I've seen). I don't know who all's gonna see this post before they watch the episode but I wanna place non-bets on who gets the honor of the first Big Swear of the season. Margo or Penny are the obvious safe choices, I think, but I'm gonna put my goon-cred on Fen 'cause the dopamine hit'll be big as hell if I'm right.

Also as a warning be careful when you google the show, it looks like reviews are already up for the first episode. I didn't see any spoilers but if that's something you think about might wanna be cognizant of it.