Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
PSC do dirt cheap 15mm WWI minis for The Great War, and they sell them separately too. Worth getting the game though, because it's a great system for quick games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

PSC do dirt cheap 15mm WWI minis for The Great War, and they sell them separately too. Worth getting the game though, because it's a great system for quick games.

Seems like another lovely game I will never get to play.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's on Steam.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I just looked this up and my head exploded when I saw that you can get 200 riflemen for only 20 pounds.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Class Warcraft posted:

I just looked this up and my head exploded when I saw that you can get 200 riflemen for only 20 pounds.

My head exploded when I read this, then it exploded again when I realized it's actually only 10 pounds for 200 riflemen.

drat this thread for making me want every era in every scale

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

My head exploded when I read this, then it exploded again when I realized it's actually only 10 pounds for 200 riflemen.

drat this thread for making me want every era in every scale

Such a ridiculous deal my brain couldn't even process it correctly.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

It's on Steam.

The reviews of that aren't encouraging.

And we also know that we really want the plastic crack experience!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I haven't bought PSC in a while (Since I haven't needed to) but I always found the cost and quality of their models was top-notch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The WW1 models are off-sprue, "semi-hard" plastic for a board game. I dunno if they're quite up to par?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The WW1 models are off-sprue, "semi-hard" plastic for a board game. I dunno if they're quite up to par?

The impression I get when someone is excited about getting hundreds of minis for cheap is that they plan to overwhelm any viewer with the sheer number of painted models on the table such that they can't tell if any of the models actually look good or not

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Skirmish level, Firelock games just came out with Blood and Valor. On Tabletop has done a few Youtube videos on it. I like their system, which they also use in Blood and Plunder, for Pirates.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The impression I get when someone is excited about getting hundreds of minis for cheap is that they plan to overwhelm any viewer with the sheer number of painted models on the table such that they can't tell if any of the models actually look good or not
Quantity has a quality... wait, wrong war, and wargamers tend to call it mass instead of quality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That big £20 bag looks incredibly tempting, but my WWI guys are already in 28mm.

I have no reason to own the same figures in multiple scales, so why it is something I keep doing?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They look OK but are probably more to the standard of RISK pieces or airfix 1/72 figures than anything typically sold for miniatures wargames.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And at 15mm, detail's already being sacrificed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From what I remember of them in-hand they're pretty much in line with the rest of PSC's 15mm stuff, because they knew people would want to use them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They seem to have done two runs; One is traditional hard plastic but needs assembled, and these are semi-hard and pre-built.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Not sure if these are the same as the Bag O' Riflemen but these sculpts look pretty legit to me:

https://www.theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/product/extra-set-of-german-miniatures/

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

True but there are definitely good and bad 15mm though. Some of battlefront's plastics are notorious but even material-independent, their 1940 greatcoat french look godawful compared to metal infantry that came before or later.

Guess what models Edgar Allen Innocent spent high school graduation money on ten years ago :orks:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Beerdeer posted:

Skirmish level, Firelock games just came out with Blood and Valor. On Tabletop has done a few Youtube videos on it. I like their system, which they also use in Blood and Plunder, for Pirates.

Did the French Chauchat use the open magazine? I thought it was one of the things that made the US version such a shitshow.

And why is the French assault team from Harlem Hellfighters? Does it have something to do with them rushing to release US in the first wave?

BTW, has anyone played Tribal? I'm just curious.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

Did the French Chauchat use the open magazine? I thought it was one of the things that made the US version such a shitshow.

The Chauchat in French service initially had an open magazine, but magazines with canvas covers over the openings were soon issued for very obvious reasons.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

JcDent posted:

And why is the French assault team from Harlem Hellfighters? Does it have something to do with them rushing to release US in the first wave?

BTW, has anyone played Tribal? I'm just curious.

The US version was also greatly complicated by the fact that the ergonomics of the gun were poorly suited to the significantly more powerful .30-06 cartridge, plus the conversion itself being badly executed as memory serves. There's a video series on YouTube that has side-by-side comparisons of most of the "common" Great War LMGs or equivalents, and two versions of the Chauchat are put through their paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVgkwQTo2n4

(The Lewis Gun kicks all kinds of rear end)

Fearless fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 14, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fearless posted:

The US version was also greatly complicated by the fact that the ergonomics of the gun were poorly suited to the significantly more powerful .30-06 cartridge, plus the conversion itself being badly executed as memory serves. There's a video series on YouTube that has side-by-side comparisons of most of the "common" Great War LMGs or equivalents, and two versions of the Chauchat are put through their paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVgkwQTo2n4

(The Lewis Gun kicks all kinds of rear end)

Ofc it's a Gun Jesus vid :D

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Finished my first half group of Sehested Danes for my solo SP2 project.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Lookin' good!

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
That's a steady pace. Nice work!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

When GW let Duncan go, they unleashed the beast:

https://twitter.com/Two_Thin_Coats/status/1217396582527664128

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Having a Patrick Bateman style meltdown about the excellently painted pants, the tasteful pom-poms, the battalion eagle . . .

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does Duncan have his own twitch or YouTube channel

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Phi230 posted:

...a blog with pictures...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Phi230 posted:

He just got on Instagram like a couple of days ago, so maybe sometime in the future.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Send him a fax with the minis you want pictures of

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Historicals are starting their siren song to me again.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Gonna start a fanzine with blurry black-and-white photocopied pictures of historicals.

You can order it by sending an envelope with £4.29 in unused stamps to my office.

Would semi-historical minis fit in this thread? Our club has adopted the theme of #pike2020 this year, and I'm hoping for all out pike warfare. But among the samurai and Italian Wars, we're also painting up an undead army from the Triumph of Death kickstarter, that recreated Renaissance era images of death by painters like Holbein, Dürer and Peter Breugel.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skullandcrown/renaissance-skeleton-army-28mm-miniatures-for-game

There'll probably be some undead samurai too. If they don't fit I'll just post the living #pike2020 here. :)

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
:justpost:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Gonna start a fanzine with blurry black-and-white photocopied pictures of historicals.

You can order it by sending an envelope with £4.29 in unused stamps to my office.

Would semi-historical minis fit in this thread? Our club has adopted the theme of #pike2020 this year, and I'm hoping for all out pike warfare. But among the samurai and Italian Wars, we're also painting up an undead army from the Triumph of Death kickstarter, that recreated Renaissance era images of death by painters like Holbein, Dürer and Peter Breugel.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skullandcrown/renaissance-skeleton-army-28mm-miniatures-for-game

There'll probably be some undead samurai too. If they don't fit I'll just post the living #pike2020 here. :)

I was wondering when this

would be getting a tabletop version

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ok, so these are from a kickstarter by a new company, Skull and Crown Miniatures. We've bought about an army's worth of tiny skeleton dudes through the first and second kickstarter.

A clubmate left me about fifty skeletons to paint. They are very thin skulpts which means that we'll try to jam a whole bunch of them together, making for dense formations. These are not based yet, and I left painting the command group until last, so there are five guys left to paint. But overall I'm amazed, after painting all these Napoleonics, about the mere fact that I could paint a unit in a week. Skeletons are great!

The burial shrouds are converted using green stuff. There are a few head swaps done here and there as well, some more obvious than others.

There were a few halberds as well in the bunch I got to paint.

These are just great! Pavises made out of coffin lids. They'll form the first rank.

Unit preview, but without command group. I like the tight formation look. That's about fourty dudes in that little block of troops!

Anyway, it's fun to paint some Renaissance themed stuff. There'll be living pikemen, landskneckts, gendarmes samurai and a whole bunch of more historical armies forming up to meet them during #pike2020.

Blog post in the link below:
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/renaissance/first-skeleton-unit-painted

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Reminds me of an old-school Warhammer infantry tar pit. Big blocks of troops are lovely to see, but a right bastard to paint.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

25/28mm should look good when an individual mini is picked up and looked at
15mm should look good when there's a block of them on the table.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My mid-life crises continues and today I bought a Division of 18mm British Peninsula Infantry for Field of Glory Napoleonic from the only people in Melbourne who sell ANY historical miniatures I can find - Eureka Miniatures. Helpfully, everyone tells me their AB figures are the best. Lots of flash though. Going to the store to select what I wanted was worth it. Saved some money paying cash too.

The maker was at the front counter and wearing a gas mask for that real post-apocalyptic feel you get in Australia these days. I assume that was because he was out from the factory because the smoke from the bush fires actually cleared today (it will be back on Sunday when I fight my next battle).

(May not be legal, will find out when I buy the army list on Sunday from the co-author). I am assuming Sharpe has done his Sharpe thing and taken over the brigade because the normal commander is dead/having a break down/has his glasses buttered. I wanted to get some rocket artillery but Eureka doesn't have them AFAIK.

I wanted to have some Hussars added as a detachment to the 95th Rifle regiment (to represent the scouting cavalry and who the riflemen often rode on) but couldn't afford the 1 point I needed.

Picton in his Waterloo top hat and umbrella is amusing, and will work well as my merely "component" commander. I do think that the era should also have INcompotent commanders, but you can only sorta do that in FOGN by having an allied commander who doesn't speak your language as well (aka, +1 ADC from the corps commander to do a complicated manoeuvre).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Class Warcraft posted:

I was wondering when this

would be getting a tabletop version

EU4 tabletop could be really fun. Historical pike and shot and samurai but also Aztec tercios, 1600s muslim texans, renaissance’d steppe horde armies, and all the other crazy poo poo that shows up.