Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

freeman posted:

Twin existed when modern was at it's peak popularity

This is just false, modern is way more popular post-twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
On a more interesting topic, it would have been nice if they'd referred to giving white 'symmetrical' draw rather than just calling it symmetrical draw. That would make it clear that they were giving white 'fair' ways to draw cards, rather than bad ways to draw cards

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

any remorse?

No not at all. They were auctioned away on ebay and never represented as anything but loose and picked over.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Modern is as interactive now as it was when Twin was around idk what y'all are talking about. The deck that just got multiple bans played multiple copies of Cryptic Command and Archmage's Charm as well as significant removal suites. Every time I see people talking about how uninteractive Modern is now compared to five years ago I feel like they just don't actually play much of the format.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sampatrick posted:

Modern is as interactive now as it was when Twin was around idk what y'all are talking about. The deck that just got multiple bans played multiple copies of Cryptic Command and Archmage's Charm as well as significant removal suites. Every time I see people talking about how uninteractive Modern is now compared to five years ago I feel like they just don't actually play much of the format.

People are talking about Modern today like they talked about Legacy 5 years ago.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

People are talking about Modern today like they talked about Legacy 5 years ago.

Hyperbolic?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

I can't believe wotc is going to just abandon modern last year.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

ungulateman posted:

long interesting games you lose on the end of your turn 3

I've been turn 4'd by Twin maybe like 3-4 times ever. They often side out a couple of them anyways so it's even less likely after game 1.

Cactrot posted:

This is just false, modern is way more popular post-twin.

More popular than 2.5-4.5k modern GPs?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

freeman posted:

More popular than 2.5-4.5k modern GPs?

GP's used to be $30-40 to enter instead of $60-80 and that probably has some marginal impact. I can play a local 60ish person monthly modern event with $1k prizes for $25 and have a reasonable shot to cash or go to a GP and have better odds of winning $80 on a scratcher.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yeah, I was more speaking to there being more modern events in general rather than peak attendance numbers for any given event. SCG opens are mostly modern these days and they didn't use to be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cactrot posted:

Yeah, I was more speaking to there being more modern events in general rather than peak attendance numbers for any given event. SCG opens are mostly modern these days and they didn't use to be.

I don't think "they made Standard even worse" is really the glowing endorsement of Modern that you think it is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Okotober was worse than Eldrazi winter

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I base the format on how good Jund is.
I also want to play Jeskai stoneblade, so I guess I also base the format on how good that is.

I have high standards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DangerDongs posted:

I base the format on how good Jund is.
I also want to play Jeskai stoneblade, so I guess I also base the format on how good that is.

I have high standards.

This has always been my feeling. When Jund is playable, the format isn't a complete disaster. Of course, I find Jund to be the most boring deck in the world to play against, and my decks are generally awful against it, so I guess keep the format awful but not unplayable? :shrug:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Huh, apparently the spot I conceded in the final on Sunday was for the players tour which is basically the new pro tour. I had a spot in the pro tour locked up and gave it away o_O

I'd have gone 0-x drop anyway I guess.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

Huh, apparently the spot I conceded in the final on Sunday was for the players tour which is basically the new pro tour. I had a spot in the pro tour locked up and gave it away o_O

I'd have gone 0-x drop anyway I guess.

Yeah I was wondering why you would do that but I guess you took it in stride.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bonus posted:

I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks oko shouldn't have been banned. Like come on modern can handle tron and dredge but not an elko, a 3 mana good midrange value card. Now urza is a different story, dude is a tolaria west on two huge bodies that lets you convert mana into spins and goes infinite with thoptersword. and the microsoft lattice ban is just bullshit. that's my opinion anyway, thanks for reading

Oko was hitting 40% in Modern.

loving Hogaak didn't hit 40% in Modern.

also Oko is just a loving stupid card and I can't imagine a format where its inclusion would make it more fun

Urza probably could have been banned over Oko, though Oko eventually would have to have been banned. Urza's probably gonna have to go, though maybe they'll hit Astrolabe in Modern and Legacy to give Urza a little more time.

suicidesteve posted:

They'll address a possible problem that's not even released yet but not the problems currently ruining other formats. RIP legacy and vintage. Is pauper still ruined forever?

in the 40 player invitation only Format Champs, there were 11 Flicker Tron players. 2 of them 0-4ed (lol I didn't win a fuckin' game), the rest went 3-3 or better and 4 of them top 8ed.

tron is fuckin' broken and the format is hosed and i was unable to capitalize on my experience with the best deck in the terrible format that is pauper :smith:

rabidsquid posted:

cheating amulet titan was the single greatest deck in mtg history wasnt it

naw it was probably worse than some non-cheating Jar decks, and lasted about as long

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I already had plans, friends from another country have bought tickets to meet up in a third country. Would've been pretty lovely to pull out considering things were arranged so I could be there.

Maybe I'll get another chance to play my jank brew on the pro tour one day. Love it when opponents and spectators have to ask what my cards do :downs:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

in the 40 player invitation only Format Champs, there were 11 Flicker Tron players. 2 of them 0-4ed (lol I didn't win a fuckin' game), the rest went 3-3 or better and 4 of them top 8ed.

Make more videos. They're dumb but I like them.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So how long until Oko gets banned from Legacy?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the Orb of Zot posted:

So how long until Oko gets banned from Legacy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VvkXA6xpqI

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
You can probably unban Twin in Modern now that there's things to do with blue besides Bolt-Snap-Bolt. Pod might be fine on power level but it's so repetitive I don't think they'd want it legal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Attorney at Funk posted:

You can probably unban Twin in Modern now that there's things to do with blue besides Bolt-Snap-Bolt. Pod might be fine on power level but it's so repetitive I don't think they'd want it legal.

Collector Ouphe and Karn tell pod to go kick rocks and eat poo poo

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bust Rodd posted:

Collector Ouphe and Karn tell pod to go kick rocks and eat poo poo

That's likely true, though "did you draw your hate card y/n" is not one of the things people enjoy about Modern.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Does the MPL still do stuff? Totally impractical, but they should make them play standard environments from 15+ years ago and see if there's been any improvements in deck building.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

Does the MPL still do stuff? Totally impractical, but they should make them play standard environments from 15+ years ago and see if there's been any improvements in deck building.

Yes, that would be interesting to watch, but it would not sell packs of magic the gathering cards, so we're not getting something cool like that.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

It's a cool idea and I love watching throwback formats like that, but realistically you'd need a lot more time and a lot more people than the MPL to meaningfully figure out if there's room to improve on past formats' metagames.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ilmucche posted:

Love it when opponents and spectators have to ask what my cards do :downs:
Unironically the best feeling in the world.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Paging Owlbear Camus
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-22-tix-cats-pioneer-magic-online?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'd watch GRN standard tournaments all day- that was a great standard.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Panzeh posted:

I'd watch GRN standard tournaments all day- that was a great standard.

Magic players, far too stupid to know what was to come: "WotC, we're tired of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria! He's unfun and too powerful for a 'three-mana planeswalker'"

WotC: "Three-mana Teferi planeswalker? That's a good idea..."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hellsau posted:

Magic players, far too stupid to know what was to come: "WotC, we're tired of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria! He's unfun and too powerful for a 'three-mana planeswalker'"

WotC: "Three-mana Teferi planeswalker? That's a good idea..."

Hah. I remember when the big go over the top control deck topper was niv-mizzet and they were starting to bring in drakes to just end the game because of the way the mono red and mono blue decks attacked them.

The esper piles that dominated the next two standards were, oof. Kethis and Field of the Dead were a welcome relief but still kinda boring.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
There is no upside to keeping urza in modern. I don’t understand the thought process. Poor leadership all around.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sickening posted:

There is no upside to keeping urza in modern. I don’t understand the thought process.

"Another Modern Horizons ban makes our design team look like a bunch of idiots, which is bad considering we're gonna shove another out the door come hell or high water"

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Remember when they told us cabal therapist was on the high end of the power curve for Modern Horizons?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Retromancer posted:

Remember when they told us cabal therapist was on the high end of the power curve for Modern Horizons?

If it would work the same turn it was played it might have been a good card. I am sure it was that way in some part of the design process but deemed too powerful.

Imagine if they just printed the loving spell what kind of safety valve could have existed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

If it would work the same turn it was played it might have been a good card. I am sure it was that way in some part of the design process but deemed too powerful.

Imagine if they just printed the loving spell what kind of safety valve could have existed.

Hogaak would’ve blown Modern apart even harder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kyrosiris posted:

"Another Modern Horizons ban makes our design team look like a bunch of idiots, which is bad considering we're gonna shove another out the door come hell or high water"

This is my pet theory as well, even to the point that two MH1 bans so quickly after its release would have iced any future Horizons sets (but not really because MH1 made a ton of money!)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How about we just get another Modern Masters set instead and get some reprints out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

There is no upside to keeping urza in modern. I don’t understand the thought process. Poor leadership all around.

If you don't consider "people enjoy playing with the card" to be an upside then you could say this about a lot of cards