Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Transmodiar posted:

Classic Working Daze

This doesn't look awful? Admittedly as a product of the '90s and 2000s my tolerance for random humour is rather high, but I could almost see why a newspaper would pick this up. It's certainly got more life to it than the poo poo they (Zarkour and the new artist, that is) churn out now, art-wise at least. I can't wait to see how quickly it gets really bad.

Tiggum posted:

The first two were pretty good puzzles for children. The second two are a bit Inspector Danger. Don't you know that women always take their hats off with two hands?

That last one is wild. I wonder how many women got away with murdering their husbands because the police just assumed the weapon meant it couldn't possibly be the wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is missing the fundamental point.

Working Daze is up to date, unlike some posters' version.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix still hasn't updated since Friday. I hope it's not just stopping. :ohdear:

Cul De Sac realizes its destiny.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

No, Holbrook! No! I do not want the bird and the rat to have children! gently caress off!

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The first two were pretty good puzzles for children. The second two are a bit Inspector Danger. Don't you know that women always take their hats off with two hands?

I used to really like the Encyclopedia Brown series as a kid and there's one that always stuck out to me. There were always some I had no chance of solving simply because they relied on things that were only true decades prior, but this one failed on every level, even undermining its own premise. Basically, it's determined that there are some crooks hiding in a restaurant. The patrons and their positions are all described, and the criminals turn out to be a couple each crossdressing as the other gender (for... some reason. Look it's been a long time. They also may have both been men, I dunno). The reason is that that the woman was sitting in the wrong spot - you see, women are supposed to sit with their backs to the wall in restaurants, and the couple had it the wrong way around, proving their deception. But the very fact that this is a mystery that needs to be solved and is presented as a puzzle relies on the fact that the reader doesn't immediately recognize that as wrong! If it's something the reader might not know, why wouldn't it be something that they didn't know? Most damningly, it's something Encyclopedia Brown himself didn't know - it's solved by another character who knows these things because such knowledge comes standard with being a girl.

I realize this has a very tenuous connection to the topic at hand, but I've been mad about this puzzle for like 15 years and I'm going to take any opportunity I can to finally rant about it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni to Watch Out For

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/12/00

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is FAST AND FURIOUS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zinkraptor posted:

I used to really like the Encyclopedia Brown series as a kid and there's one that always stuck out to me. There were always some I had no chance of solving simply because they relied on things that were only true decades prior, but this one failed on every level, even undermining its own premise. Basically, it's determined that there are some crooks hiding in a restaurant. The patrons and their positions are all described, and the criminals turn out to be a couple each crossdressing as the other gender (for... some reason. Look it's been a long time. They also may have both been men, I dunno). The reason is that that the woman was sitting in the wrong spot - you see, women are supposed to sit with their backs to the wall in restaurants, and the couple had it the wrong way around, proving their deception. But the very fact that this is a mystery that needs to be solved and is presented as a puzzle relies on the fact that the reader doesn't immediately recognize that as wrong! If it's something the reader might not know, why wouldn't it be something that they didn't know? Most damningly, it's something Encyclopedia Brown himself didn't know - it's solved by another character who knows these things because such knowledge comes standard with being a girl.

I realize this has a very tenuous connection to the topic at hand, but I've been mad about this puzzle for like 15 years and I'm going to take any opportunity I can to finally rant about it.

This cracks me up because it's so profoundly out of date that my dad - who grew up in the 70s - certainly didn't subscribe to it. Whenever we go to a restaurant he wants his back to the wall so he has a commanding view of the room. And he cared about this so much he'd make child!me move if I took the spot he wanted. I vaguely remember my grandpa doing the same thing - gotta sit like you're worried about gangsters coming into the restaurant.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Wild Bill always sat like that except for that one time.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Encyclopedia Brown also had one where a stolen key was hidden in a hotdog and the giveaway was that the mustard and sauerkraut had been added in the wrong order and apparently "nobody eats hotdogs that way"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Archyduchess posted:

I'm posting these early today because I'm teaching an 8 AM class starting tomorrow and want to go to bed early tonight.

Dykes to Watch Out For (still 1986)

I'm a lesbian but also like, a very mid-20s lesbian who does all my queer socialization online, so Dykes to Watch Out For is really interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

coronatae posted:

Encyclopedia Brown also had one where a stolen key was hidden in a hotdog and the giveaway was that the mustard and sauerkraut had been added in the wrong order and apparently "nobody eats hotdogs that way"

There was also one where the giveaway was that a guy lifted a bar of gold over his head and that gold is too heavy to be lifted overhead so it wasn't gold, even though the story didn't specify how big the bar was or how easily the guy lifted it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

PetraCore posted:

I'm a lesbian but also like, a very mid-20s lesbian who does all my queer socialization online, so Dykes to Watch Out For is really interesting.

Yeah it's a snapshot of a moment in queer culture that had passed by the time I started circulating through queer culture, and as acerbic as it is there's a real idealism and wistfulness to it that makes me feel kind of bittersweet. I love that Bechdel's entire social universe in these early strips is queer women.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah it's a snapshot of a moment in queer culture that had passed by the time I started circulating through queer culture, and as acerbic as it is there's a real idealism and wistfulness to it that makes me feel kind of bittersweet. I love that Bechdel's entire social universe in these early strips is queer women.
I feel like my non-confrontational self would be eaten alive by these women but I'm also in a lil bit of awe.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EBB posted:

These are really amazing and special, thank you for posting them

I'm glad people are enjoying it :)

Kennel posted:

Had to read this twice:

The character isn't named Clint, at least!

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah the cleanness really reminds me of Achewood more than anything else. It's like ligne claire to the nth degree, I can't think of anything else of that period which looks quite like it.

You're right! I knew it reminded me of something visually.

Some years ago, I took a few blacksmithing classes at a local arts center for fun. The guy who ran the classes had a day job making custom stair railings and gates and stuff. He told us how a century or more ago, perfect straight lines and flat surfaces were popular because they required a lot of skill for a smith to make by hand, but nowadays wobbly lines and visible hammer marks are more popular because straight lines just look machine made. Barnaby's perfect lines and typeset text reminded me of that comment.

Professor Wayne posted:

My Dad is Dracula

🎉 WELCOME TO GUEST COMIC WEDNESDAY 🎉
Our premiere guest comic is by my wonderful wife, Julai Whipple! Shout out for her etsy shop, Checked Out Style, where she makes fashions inspired by vintage pulp and young adult book covers!

I like it! :3:

Some years ago this strip mentioned that Jeremy's parents went to Woodstock and I complained then that they seemed too young. I guess this is a retcon of that. Or Dad went despite being like nine years old I guess.

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars is FAST AND FURIOUS

Thanks for posting this! I was never huge on Star Wars but I'm enjoying this a lot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Medenmath posted:

Some years ago this strip mentioned that Jeremy's parents went to Woodstock and I complained then that they seemed too young. I guess this is a retcon of that. Or Dad went despite being like nine years old I guess.

Sliding timeline.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something I really appreciate about Modesty Blaise is her sense of caution. Sure, she and Willie have taken on great odds before, but they never just charge right in; they try and even out the odds first in very creative ways. We know Modesty can easily beat the Grim Jokers, but the tension comes from making sure the unconscious Willie doesn't get hurt.

Isn't the cat supposed to be the mother of one of these two or something? Either way, it's still pretty creepy how the cat acts like a pet when it's sentient and had spent time as a human being before.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You know, I do have to thank Holbrook.,

Today's Safe Havens, and Yesterdays and todays Kevin and Kell just gives me a reminder that I am not completely dead inside yet, if I still have the vitriol to get upset at a comic strip.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Nature knows not of mercy" -MC Ride

https://twitter.com/NoobtheLoser/status/1216711970386333696?s=20

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

WORKING THIRTEEN DAYS STRAIGHT IS A LOT, YOU LAZY BOOMER poo poo.

Archyduchess posted:

I'm posting these early today because I'm teaching an 8 AM class starting tomorrow and want to go to bed early tonight.

Dykes to Watch Out For (still 1986)

Barnaby (May 2nd-May 7th, 1942)

The OCD here is the Office of Civilian Defense, established in 1941 and dissolved in 1945. At its peak it "employed" over 11 million volunteers, including children, and the office covered all sorts of stuff from air raid drills to fire-fighting and organizing scrap drives. Wartime civic service remains a prominent part of this strip throughout Johnson's run.

I am enjoying these effortposts. I mostly skipped Barnaby and DtWoF when they were first posted in this thread, but the background info and historical context is helping me be interested.

Zinkraptor posted:

I am a woman. Can confirm I like to sit with my back to the wall in restaurants because then I can see what's going on in the room. Did not realize this preference was hardwired into me by my gender.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Bless this wholesome content.

Oh, Jesus Christ.

Okay, you know what I, an adult, would do if my also adult friend was dating someone (an adult) and I was curious if they'd had sex yet? I would meet up with that friend, ask how the relationship is going, and at some point be like, "So. You two having sex yet?" Which would be nosy, but whatever, we're friends.

I would not show up at the workplace of their roommate with whom they do not get along and interrogate that person like some kind of a creepy fucker.

No, you dingdong, Tiffany would also just ask. Like a normal person. And then the strip would treat her like garbage for having the nerve to ask a straightforward question. This kind of thing is why we like Tiffany.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

coronatae posted:

I believe it had one where the criminal's alibi involved getting their keys out of a pocket with the other side's arm, which is clearly impossible.

Except I have, in fact, done exactly that.

Julet Esqu posted:

WORKING THIRTEEN DAYS STRAIGHT IS A LOT, YOU LAZY BOOMER poo poo.
The most charitable possible explanation here is that the author is so boomer they don't realize that the weekend is "days off", or that it's possible somebody might not get the weekend off. And thinks they're writing Dustin as complaining he hasn't had any vacation days, when what they actually wrote is "I have been working 13 days straight"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Zinkraptor posted:

God drat it, I remember that one. Encyclopedia Brown's female friend Sally Kimball solved it.

Those books had some really nice illustrations though.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I have to assume that when Dustin is complaining about working to Jan 13 without a day off he means he works Mon-Fri and gets weekends off and is complaining about not getting a weekday off

because that is Ed's schedule and of course he assumes everyone else works normal business hours like he does

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/24/53

They'll Do It Every Time 8/1/46

Mopsy 8/11/42

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

coronatae posted:

Reminds me of the Inspector Danger comic where a pizza delivery guy was revealed as a fake because the pizza was cut into eight slices, and as I'm sure we all know, every pizza place in the entire world always cuts their pizzas, regardless of size, into six pieces.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Had to read this twice:

Hahaha :same:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

I was going to ask why the rabbit has a skunk spray but of course I know the answer is stupid and probably hosed up anyways so why bother.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

I was going to ask why the rabbit has a skunk spray but of course I know the answer is stupid and probably hosed up anyways so why bother.
She's actually a skunk disguised as a rabbit, because (I guess) they needed to get into/through rabbit-controlled territory.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Zinkraptor posted:

The reason is that that the woman was sitting in the wrong spot - you see, women are supposed to sit with their backs to the wall in restaurants, and the couple had it the wrong way around, proving their deception.

There used to be a whole bunch of weird etiquette involving men and women, like when walking down the side of the street the man had to be closest to the middle, and what's more you should walk up the right side of the street so the woman would be on the right, as that was the more honoured position. It persisted long enough that I'd occasionally be corrected on it by my teachers (growing up in the UK in the 70s/80s).

And I've noticed such things do tend to show up in older mystery fiction, perhaps because it can indicate something or someone is Not Right in a subtle way. I think my favourite is a minor plot point in a Dorothy L. Sayers story where a murdered gentleman's laces are tied in a lazy bow, indicating that his shoes must had been put on later by the murderer, because his valet would never have tied his laces in such a way. (I'd never heard of a lazy bow before reading the story, and on looking up what it was I suddenly realized why my laces would never stay tied).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto has friends in low places, or This is a period of the world that is not often taught about in the 'West', as it were. The world was very far from peace after the Armistice, or GET YOUR HANDS TOGETHER, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, FOR THE ONE, THE ONLY...!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tiggum posted:

She's actually a skunk disguised as a rabbit, because (I guess) they needed to get into/through rabbit-controlled territory.
The even dumber part is that I think she just sprayed on rabbit pheromones, right? And for whatever reason no animal uses their eyes to identify other animals and knows the scent of all other animals instinctually. Wait, why did she even have rabbit pheromones? Doesn't she use rat pheromones?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Something I really appreciate about Modesty Blaise is her sense of caution. Sure, she and Willie have taken on great odds before, but they never just charge right in; they try and even out the odds first in very creative ways. We know Modesty can easily beat the Grim Jokers, but the tension comes from making sure the unconscious Willie doesn't get hurt.

I think at this point the tension is more about how she's going to prove that they're the Grim Jokers at all. Whatever plan they had before to get actionable evidence beyond their word alone is likely kaput now that Willy's out of action. Simply turning them against each other won't be satisfying, because even if the men are misogynist brutes it's been made fairly clear that whatshername is the one who's dragging the killings out instead of just finishing off the final target for their payday.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Brigands

Same Moomin, same.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Retail can be a bit repetitive, but it handles rear end in a top hat characters better than Kevin and Kel ever has. I'm more worried about Stuart based on the lack of phone calls than I was ever worried about serial killer wolf monster RJ.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tiggum posted:

Added with :biotruths: WIMMEN WOULD NEVER USE LUGER

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones returns us to the bad old days when there was a law against women being criminals, something that Encyclopedia Brown would have known.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 21, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 21, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 21, 1988)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Archyduchess posted:

In lieu of Cathy I'm going to post Alison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For.

Thank you for this gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When I was debating about coming out, DTWOF was something I started reading, and while it didn't help much (because gently caress you Sydney she was always the worst) in terms of what to expect, it did humanize gay people overall because the only ones I knew of otherwise were Elton John and Ellen.

I do remember most of the cast but one of the best later strips was when one of the couple's kids went to camp, and his gay uncle worked there, and some kids began calling something gay, naturally meaning stupid and lame. The kid asked his uncle about this, and the uncle retorted that gay meant awesome, for example, his shirt, which was tight and form fitting and showed off his muscles; by comparison one of the other camp counselors likely wore the same shirt, stained and loose, because it was the only clean thing in his closet. Kid goes home and asks his moms to get him more tight fitting muscle shirts because "they're super gay."