Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am ensconced in a bubble of 2001 nostalgia. Playing GTA3, SSX Tricky, FFX and MGS2. I am blasting Hoobastank, Staind, SOAD and Adema. I just railed a line of Ativan. gently caress the present day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone suggest a game for me? I'm on a "feelings" high after going through Disco Elysium, Death Stranding, and Hypnospace Outlaw within a couple months. Is there another recent game out there that will make me feel stuff? Preferably not actiony, but maybe actiony I dunno. I've never been a point-and-click adventure guy but after Disco Elysium who knows.

I've already played Undertale and Life is Strange, I should say. How is LA Noire? I liked doing the cases in the VR edition but I've never played the main game.

Night in the Woods.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone suggest a game for me? I'm on a "feelings" high after going through Disco Elysium, Death Stranding, and Hypnospace Outlaw within a couple months. Is there another recent game out there that will make me feel stuff? Preferably not actiony, but maybe actiony I dunno. I've never been a point-and-click adventure guy but after Disco Elysium who knows.

I've already played Undertale and Life is Strange, I should say. How is LA Noire? I liked doing the cases in the VR edition but I've never played the main game.

Tetris Effect, baby. Lights off headphones on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've only played a couple of Yakuza games and I just started 0, my question is just how many times over the course of the series does Kiryu leave/get kicked out of the yakuza?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

I've only played a couple of Yakuza games and I just started 0, my question is just how many times over the course of the series does Kiryu leave/get kicked out of the yakuza?

Pretty much just 0 and 1. You spend the rest of the series begrudgingly being involved with or otherwise helping the Yakuza while explicitly not being one.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Phenotype posted:

With all the talk about NieR: Automata you should definitely try that if you haven't yet. Life is Strange 2, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, What Remains of Edith Finch, ABZU also come to mind.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

man nurse posted:

Pretty much just 0 and 1. You spend the rest of the series begrudgingly being involved with or otherwise helping the Yakuza while explicitly not being one.

Oh haha, okay! I was just curious and had this vision of him yo-yo-ing in and out of the organization on a yearly basis. Like "Oh, it's December? Time for Kiryu to take the fall for something and end up expelled while he tears a hole through 3000 guys."

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

j.j. macfield and the island of memories if you havent played that yet. fairly short swery game that i adored

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

sharrrk posted:

j.j. macfield and the island of memories if you havent played that yet. fairly short swery game that i adored

I've been waiting for this game to go on sale for the PS4 but I don't think it ever has for like two years, which seems crazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cuntellectual posted:

What are your thoughts on dos megaman?

Both of them are very impressive considering only one man made them in the distant past. But they are awful and uninteresting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nier Automata made me cry

Last Guardian made me cry

Those were feelings

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Silent Hill 2 is v good feelings wise. Also Nier Automata.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Feelings? Journey, Brothers, Pyre

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Start Kentucky Route Zero so you'll be ready for Act V

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

The only thing LA Noire will make you feel is disappointed and frustrated

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
LISA has some good feels but it also has a lot of dark humor that sort of balances out the emotional stuff, so it may not be exactly what you want

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Start Kentucky Route Zero so you'll be ready for Act V

It better be fuckin great because the wait has been ridiculous

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Not new games but

Planescape Torment, Aquaria 100%, That Dragon Cancer, Love At First Sight, Defense Grid, Iji non-pacifist, Binding of Isaac, Open Sorcery & its Jingle BEL/S dlc, the Devil Came Through Here trilogy (Downfall, The Cat Lady, Lorelai), The Void (any of icepick lodge's games really but The Void is a good pick), Talos Principle, Dropsy, the Fabulous Angela's series (time management games, start with the demo for the first game since the demo is its own game prequel story thing and these games are really good at making you go "holy poo poo" at all the drama and plotting between the levels), I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Little Inferno, any Oddworld game, Papers Please, Return of the Obra Dinn, Phantom Brave, Quell: Memento, Space Channel 5 its sequel (the feeling is groovy), The Swapper

Fantastic Flyer posted:

LISA has some good feels but it also has a lot of dark humor that sort of balances out the emotional stuff, so it may not be exactly what you want

It also has the dlc that unfortunately undermines basically any attempt at a message the base game had.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought LISA was kind of bad

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP/status/1216918055038488576

Butting in because I think this is a cute video that celebrates Tarnaza accidentally killing his girlfriend. He will never get over it and now Kirby can wear a hat modeled after her.

Kirby really getting into that Monster Hunter spirit.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i tried playing lisa but it just bummed me out so i stopped

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

There are very few games that benefit from being longer than they are imo

if anything I'd prefer that they were shorter

Definitely this. Like if Destiny wants to be an endless loot/quest treadmill that's fine, that's the whole point of the game. But a linear single player story should have some semblance of pacing within its world, rather than throwing endless poo poo to do at the player. Otherwise we're not playing a game - we're consuming content.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's like writing a novel and not having an editor so every single tangent and random thought is in there without any kind of quality control

Worse, really, because in something like Odyssey you have no way to tell which quests have good writing or gameplay until they're already over. And so if you skip a bunch of quests, you have no idea if you're skipping the bad ones or the good ones

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Phenotype posted:

Celeste and wandersong

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

I thought LISA was kind of bad

I understand why people wouldn't enjoy it but there is definitely something special there depending on how you approach interacting with the game's world.

It's just that unfortunately by the time the ending comes along, a lot of that development is suddenly tossed aside and then the dlc is more explicit with undoing any of the base game's text and subtext.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Pathologic is a good feelings game, but it won't make you feel good

Also Deadly Premonition has a surprisingly emotional denouement

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
cheetah, my favourite catgirl Lethe died in a mission where she wasn't even under my control. Would she have showed up in any more of the story or was her stuff done after the end of Part 2?

FirstAidKite posted:

Aquaria 100%

Aquaria is a gorgeous game with one of the most amazing soundtracks I've ever played that really deserves more acclaim than it gets. Shame the dev is trash though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Aquaria is a gorgeous game with one of the most amazing soundtracks I've ever played that really deserves more acclaim than it gets. Shame the dev is trash though.

Yeah, it's a shame. I wish we would have gotten the sequel it deserved. The music is just so great and there really aren't many games out there like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUXROl-wMUs

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
There actually apparently is this whole sub-genre of underwater metroidvania like whatevers where there is the additional mechanic of the amount of clothing on your character acting as a health bar...

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
we are overdue for the return of the breast-based ui pioneered by Trespasser

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I keep getting Aquaria and Subnautica confused.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of my favorite things about Trespasser is that iirc the electric prod weapons shouldn't be holstered because then the damaging tip touches the character model and hurts you.

Another fun thing is that a majority (all? I don't remember) of the melee weapons are lovely because they don't have the proper weight properties so they don't work well as bludgeons. Except for 1 weapon that works as intended and is supposedly very good, a medieval mace owned by Dennis Nedry.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Outer Wilds
AI: The Somnium Files
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective if you have a way to play it
428 Shibuya Scramble

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 14, 2020

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

we are overdue for the return of the breast-based ui pioneered by Trespasser

we need to update it for modern audiences. The health bar will be located on the protagonists juicy rear end

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's weird but as I grow older I'm more excited to see bizarre anime weapons like the one in Monster Hunter like gently caress yeah add more serrations and moving parts to this 9ft plank of steel made out of old motorbikes and also it has an AI in it and also it can turn into a hoverboard

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have never been madder at myself for not playing more of a game than I am with Monster Hunter. What a drat fantastic game.

If I've still got lots of the main game left (HR8, just hunted first Legiana) should I buy Icebourne right away or hold off till I finish world?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can probably hold off until you've seen everything HR has to offer because there is a lot of content there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have never been madder at myself for not playing more of a game than I am with Monster Hunter. What a drat fantastic game.

If I've still got lots of the main game left (HR8, just hunted first Legiana) should I buy Icebourne right away or hold off till I finish world?
I don't think you can even touch iceborne until HR16, anyway. there is a decent amount of stuff in the base game that you should do before playing iceborne also, definitely suggest getting all the tools and leveling the cat tribes. I did all that stuff on PS4 but I'm playing iceborne on PC where I just beelined to endgame, and am regretting it now. don't bother getting too deep into the endgame though because the base mhw endgame sucks rear end, and as soon as you buy iceborne you can craft a pretty good HR gear set that will take you into master rank

also I think next week or the week after, a lot of good event quests will be coming back in rotation so definitely do those

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phenotype posted:

GUI posted:

Night in the Woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that said if you save some things for iceborne that's fine too, because going back to LR stuff with MR gear is just comical. monsters die in one good GS combo